• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

Heavy Object ep.18
I really wasn't expecting a 3 part arc for this battle, but man, are they in it deep right now, how the hell are they going to get outta this one? Good stuff as always, but damn cliffhangers...

I actually dropped Plastic Memories over similar reasons, saw 5 episodes. I almost never do that.

You missed the best part of PM then. The show gets really good down the stretch.

AnoHana was overly melodramatic but that fucking ending song always gets me. I almost gave in during the last episode. When that fucking song kicks in...its soul piercing

Angel Beats was good. Flawed as hell but I liked it.

phaze

You're all just jealous I nabbed this avatar first.

It is indeed pretty great.

I've an avatar ADHD and somehow just can't stick to one for any prolonged period of time...

Soultaker 7-8
kgoz13.jpg
post87ylpw.jpg
post9a7xo8.jpg
post7q5b1r.jpg

post102zbag.jpg
post11zexls.jpg
post12x9ymj.jpg
post13jdxg4.jpg

Ahh, the latest case of "people die but they are not killed.
Welcome back Senjougahara !

I badmouthed the show earlier but this, 08 especially, was some really decent stuff. The direction felt a bit more restrained and less chaotic overall and as a result it is able to sell some events much better. Or maybe my ability to cope with Shinbo's insanity just went up as the show went on. The story also went into a high gear much earlier than I expected given the premise so that's well ... nice.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
AnoHana was overly melodramatic but that fucking ending song always gets me. I almost gave in during the last episode. When that fucking song kicks in...its soul piercing

Angel Beats was good. Flawed as hell but I liked it.

Kimi to natsu no owari shourai no yume
Ookina kibou wasurenai
Juu nen go no hachigatsu
Mata deaeru no wo shinjite
Saikou no omoide wo...

I really disliked Plastic Memories. I anticipated it for a while since it came from the writer of Steins;Gate and the plot and premise itself seemed interesting.

Androids now living among human society but have to shut down after nine years? I'm all up for that! Think of all the crazy things that could happen! Is there an angry "android human rights" movement going on somewhere? Are androids being used for evil purposes? Are these things all over the world and how are other countries reacting to it?

And amidst all these possibilities, what does the show focus on?

What happens when a man falls in love with an android woman set to expire in a few months?

That's it. What really irritates me is that the show spends five episodes building up how messed up the android system is and does nothing interesting with it. It just tells one of the most standard and generic tragic love stories you can tell.

It was probably my biggest disappointment of 2015 next to Comet Lucifer.

JulianImp

I really disliked Plastic Memories. I anticipated it for a while since it came from the writer of Steins;Gate and the plot and premise itself seemed interesting.

Androids now living among human society but have to shut down after nine years? I'm all up for that! Think of all the crazy things that could happen! Is there an angry "android human rights" movement going on somewhere? Are androids being used for evil purposes? Are these things all over the world and how are other countries reacting to it?

What happens when a man falls in love with an android woman set to expire in a few months?

That's it. What really irritates me is that the show spends five episodes building up how messed up the android system is and does nothing interesting with it. It just tells one of the most standard and generic tragic love stories you can tell.

So the whole premise of the show could've been changed to a girl with some terminal illness and it would've mostly been the same? That sounds like a waste of a perfectly good plot, sadly.

So the whole premise of the show could've been changed to a girl with some terminal illness and it would've mostly been the same? That sounds like a waste of a perfectly good plot, sadly.

Exactly! Why are they even androids? It doesn't even make sense! After nine years, absolutely nobody has figured out a way to extend the lifespans of those things? You'd think some kind of interesting conspiracy theory or something could be behind that in the show but NOPE.

I loved Angel Beats, with absolutely no irony. That show made me bawl like a baby multiple times. Thought it was really good, with the flaws outweighed heavily

Narag

I still kinda like Angel Beats due to the screwball comedy stuff. It's sad that the drama was more comical in the end though.

pbayne

The in-universe logic of that show was horrendously stupid.

Remember the androids go berserk after nine years and no genius decided to give them an auto shut-down function? Instead they gave them superstrength to make killing people easier. Like fuck what braindead idiot would run that company to make that decision?

And don't get me started on how random and non-built up the romance is.

Russ T

Banned
I... I know I watched Angel Beats. It's there in my list...

I remember absolutely nothing about it. I must have disliked it, I guess??

The in-universe logic of that show was horrendously stupid.

Remember the androids go berserk after nine years and no genius decided to give them an auto shut-down function? Instead they gave them superstrength to make killing people easier. Like fuck what braindead idiot would run that company to make that decision?

If the braindead idiot was actually an evil mastermind who did it on purpose it'd might have made sense. If the show did that and there was actually a cool plot-twist and/or climax revolving around it it'd actually be pretty fun.

But nope! It's just there to show what happens when time runs out, and that's it.

JulianImp

I... I know I watched Angel Beats. It's there in my list...

I remember absolutely nothing about it. I must have disliked it, I guess??

Seriously, I hated the show's portrayal of purgatory and the way the show had lots of characters that were only good for their one-note gags. It would've been interesting if each of them had episodes which helped develop their characters like the annoying little girl with pink hair, but in the end the show could only do a crappy move such as telling us half of the MC's friends passed on freaking offscreen, while the MC's relationship with Tenshi didn't pay off in a way that could offset how much of a waste it was to have most of the cast disappear without even exploring their characters and the reasons they had to linger on in purgatory.

Off the top of my head, I remember the English-speaking odd guy, the ninja girl who loved cute stuff, the large, strong guy, the MC's friend, the gruff axe guy who had a crush on the group's leader, the hacker who insisted people call him Jesus and the hypnotist who stopped using hypnosis once he had his heel-face turn. All of them felt like a waste with how little time was devoted to who they really were and what reasons they had to show up in purgatory in the first place.

JulianImp

What's really funny is that I have and I pretty much disliked almost every other one of them I've seen. Angel Beats was the only one that worked for me.

What other key shows are there? I only know Charlotte was one of them, and that one also had huge issues with condensing lots of stuff into a single cour worth of episodes, leading to several things that were quite bad for me.

Oh, come on Kiribread. It isn't as much "key stuff is shit" as "they really needed some more episodes to wrap things up better" for me, at the very least. I cried with AnoHana but didn't shed a tear with Angel Beats, so I can say the former was way better as a drama series for me than the latter.

Angel Beats was interesting conceptually, in that there's this high school purgatory for people who haven't yet accepted dying. But then they saddle it with this big "war" between the real people and the "NPCs" That was kind of stupid.

What other key shows are there? I only know Charlotte was one of them, and that one also had huge issues with condensing lots of stuff into a single cour worth of episodes, leading to several things that were quite bad for me.

Original anime written by Jun Maeda:
Angel Beats
Charlotte

Key VNs adapted into anime:
Air
Kanon
Clannad
Little Busters
Rewrite (upcoming)

Kanon, Air and Clannad are their other ones.

Oh, Little Busters too but I never watched that.

tuffy

Angel Beats was interesting conceptually, in that there's this high school purgatory for people who haven't yet accepted dying. But then they saddle it with this big "war" between the real people and the "NPCs" That was kind of stupid.
If they're all dead, and the school setting is some afterlife, and they'll be reincarnated eventually and not remember any of it, what's the point of going to class for that matter? And how do characters wind up there in a different order than how they died, anyway?

I just couldn't get over all the nonsense logic needed to get to the ending.

Qurupeke

The Tatami Galaxy 1

fx5BIMM.gif

Amazing. Akashi is the best. And hey, the show isn't as fast as people made it out to be. I can follow the subs, nothing like trying to read the walls of text in Monogatari.

Cornbread78

Actually talking on twitter right now how I liked the Clannad movie but don't let that get in the way of the bullshit hivemind narrative that's being crafted here.

Lol, I say that in jest, of course, since there are a couple of people that like Clannad, Kanon, Air, etc. It's just always funny when someone brings up Key or SAO, lol.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

I enjoyed the first ~6 episodes of Plastic Memories, but I found the part with the main girl to be kind of meh, really.

Deadly

Gate 18
Oh wow they skipped a small arc from the manga and are at the exact same spot now. Really excited for the last few episodes.

JulianImp

Everybody should like twin-tails!

Unless it's reverse twintails like in Phantom World. That's going too far.

Actually, I've just remembered that Grisaia scene where some character taught Michiru how to... uh... "attack" with her twintails or something? That was kind of funny.

Line_HTX

I kind of sort of liked Kanon and Clannad, though I have to be in the right mindset to go in.

I finished them both and glad I did. Kiritobread actin' like someone hit him in the nose with a football.

:p

Puruzi

Banned
Unless it's reverse twintails like in Phantom World. That's going too far.

Actually, I've just remembered that Grisaia scene where some character taught Michiru how to... uh... "attack" with her twintails or something? That was kind of funny.

I think they're talking about the twin tails anime? I dunno, might be wrong

That anime was incredible

Season 2 when

John Blade

Is it sad that it's getting harder to go back watching GTO. I am around 3/4 of the show and stoo. I need to push myself to watch the show as it's very great but I am guessing my mood isn't there right now to continue to watch. I guess I need to go watch my other anime in my list soon.

blurr

Is it sad that it's getting harder to go back watching GTO. I am around 3/4 of the show and stoo. I need to push myself to watch the show as it's very great but I am guessing my mood isn't there right now to continue to watch. I guess I need to go watch my other anime in my list soon.

GTO was personally a very influential show. Seriously changed the way I looked at people by the time I finished watching.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom