• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.
World Trigger Episode 67
tumblr_o2vbu9rdUU1qbxqfpo2_540.png
tumblr_o2vbu9rdUU1qbxqfpo4_540.png

tumblr_o2vbu9rdUU1qbxqfpo1_540.png
tumblr_o2vc6omQGj1qbxqfpo1_540.png

So many characters did it this episode and I loved it. Even new characters Koarai and Okudera did it too. They looked and sounded good animated.

The next rank war is going to be pretty exciting to see. I still remember how it goes but the snow combined with the environmental effects in the city will make it a blast. I hope the anime does it justice.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure is among the few shows that I enjoy, yet look forward to the ending of an episode anyways because the lead into the ED is usually good. Battle Tendency's also pretty great this far, having just finished episode 17.

Aki-at

Space Dandy - 4

Woah what happened to the animation quality in this episode, it became so rough and poor when they attacked the hospital couldn't believe what I was watching! Not sure I'm much of a fan of the reset story mechanism but I knew what I was coming in for after the first episode.

Space Dandy - 5

Going from comedy one episode to something sweet the next. Yeah I'm probably missing the point of the series but this one was my favourite episode so far

JulianImp

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure is among the few shows that I enjoy, yet look forward to the ending of an episode anyways because the lead into the ED is usually good. Battle Tendency's also pretty great this far, having just finished episode 17.

I love how the last couple scenes in JoJo parts 1 and 2 segue into the ED, but then part 3 drops that for the most part, sadly.

After a long day at work, this show always hits the right spot:

Haikyuu!! S2 20

Yess the Karasuno x Aoba Johsai match! Things were going way too smoothly, I had totally forgotten about the last dude. That shot was incredible, and the way it was animated was awesome giving off this huge sense of "oomph" to the spike. This is going to be one hell of a close match, regardless of who gets the set point.

Aaaand I'm out for today folks, gotta go study for an Ethics midterm.

Those tanks were actually in the manga - although I think the anime kind of missed what they were supposed to be.

In the manga, the newspaper boy in that scene is actually the main character of Kattena Yatsura, one of Rumiko's earlier works. The whole scene in the manga is referencing Kattena Yatsura, where at the end of the story,
Kei, the main character, due to a series of coincidences, ends ups with bombs inside his body implanted by the army, by aliens and by an underwater race (those red "Dappya" things that keep appearing in Urusei Yatsura) that will destroy the entire universe if they blow up together and they'll detonate if Kei dies.

So, all three forces join together to protect him for the rest of his life, while Kei only cares about delivering newspapers - Kattena Yatsura's final scene was Kei running around delivering Newspapers while the army marches around him and his appearance in Urusei Yatsura was basically that scene all over again... although this time delivering a newspaper about Ataru.

The anime threw the Snowman attacking the city at the end of the story with the implication that the army was going to face it, rather than the original context. They also didn't even try to keep Kei's design the same, so they probably didn't even realize that it wasn't just a generic newspaper's boy.

Seriously?! That's incredible!

Cornbread78

Steins Gate ep.25/OVA
Yeah, this is how OVAs should be done, exellent episode with a touching moment to cap it off. This series was quality from start to finish.

Clov

Space Dandy - 4

Woah what happened to the animation quality in this episode, it became so rough and poor when they attacked the hospital couldn't believe what I was watching! Not sure I'm much of a fan of the reset story mechanism but I knew what I was coming in for after the first episode.

It makes me so sad every time that I see people refer to these sort of moments as being "poor" or a drop in animation quality. :( They're actually animated really well, they just look different. Yet people act like it's something out of Sailor Moon Crystal. It's a bit depressing, honestly.

Space Dandy - 4

Space Dandy - 5

Going from comedy one episode to something sweet the next. Yeah I'm probably missing the point of the series but this one was my favourite episode so far

The point of the series is to provide a loose construct within which individual creators have a lot of freedom to make whatever sort of thing they want to make. It's essentially an anthology series.

Erigu

Seriously?! That's incredible!
Note also that Urusei Yatsura originally was supposed to be a serialized version of that Katte na Yatsura one-shot.
Lum was meant to be a one-time character, but Takahashi's editor thought she, not Shinobu, should be the heroine and changed the title accordingly ("Urusei Yatsura", with the "sei"/"planet" being a reference to Lum's extra-terrestrial nature).
Takahashi had already written three episodes at that point. Whoops. That's why Lum is nowhere to be seen in the second episode (the third episode was completely re-written, but some believe Takahashi ended up recycling her original third Lum-less episode later on in the series).

Wish Upon the Pleiades 8

I'm fond of the way this series uses real scientific/astronomical concepts in a light-hearted and thematically appropriate fashion. This episode even featured some good old-fashioned time dilation. It does a good job at portraying outer space through a magical lens, blending science and fantasy into a delightfully frothy concoction. This is a sort of science fiction I can appreciate.

Note also that Urusei Yatsura originally was supposed to be a serialized version of that Katte na Yatsura one-shot.
Lum was meant to be a one-time character, but Takahashi's editor thought she, not Shinobu, should be the heroine and changed the title accordingly ("Urusei Yatsura", with the "sei"/"planet" being a reference to Lum's extra-terrestrial nature).
Takahashi had already written three episodes at that point. Whoops. That's why Lum is nowhere to be seen in the second episode (the third episode was completely re-written, but some believe Takahashi ended up recycling her original third Lum-less episode later on in the series).

Oh wow. It's hard to imagine what a Lum-less Urusei Yatsura would have ended up like.

Russ T

Banned
It makes me so sad every time that I see people refer to these sort of moments as being "poor" or a drop in animation quality. :( They're actually animated really well, they just look different. Yet people act like it's something out of Sailor Moon Crystal. It's a bit depressing, honestly.

I'm with you, man. I thought episode four was fantastic.

Can't wait to see the reaction to the Yuasa episode haha.

Rakugo - 07 or whatever the latest is, i think it's 07

Man I'm really starting to dislike Kiku. He's being such a terrible person to Miyokichi. ]:

Hope he has a damn good reason for it other than being too much of a coward to break it off.

Quasar

What are the thoughts about Kiss x Sis, Kimikiss Pure Rouge, Green Green, Love Hina and Rosario + Vampire?

Need the next useless Romcom to watch.

I liked Kimikiss and think it would be up your alley. Ditto Rosario.

Love Hina is like one of the anime that begat Harems, though given as IIRC there was just a couple plus friends I'm not sure i'd count it as harem anyway. Plus it has a pretty famous tsundere.

Never heard of Green Green. And I wouldn't reccomomend KissxSis to anyone.

KONOSUBA 3

OrY4uxv.gif

This show is so fucking stupid, but the ridiculousness has won me over.

The panty gag was pretty funny and I like how everyone thinks the MC is some hardcore pervert whos subjecting his party members into doing fucked up shit. Darkness' masochism is ok but I just think her name being Darkness is pretty funny.

The last 2 eps have been considerably better than the first. I've learned to accept the garbage ass powerpoint slide animation but the VAs are good. I think half the humor comes from the voices.

Cornbread78

I liked Kimikiss and think it would be up your alley. Ditto Rosario.

Love Hina is like one of the anime that begat Harems, though given as IIRC there was just a couple plus friends I'm not sure i'd count it as harem anyway. Plus it has a pretty famous tsundere.

Never heard of Green Green. And I wouldn't reccomomend KissxSis to anyone.

So it sounds like it will be Kimikiss, Rosario, Kiss x Sis, then Green Green. That will probably take a few months to get through.

ibyea

Banned
Erased - 7
Wow, the show is instantly so much better than ep 5 and 6. There is a lot of real tension in this episode, something severely lacking in the last two.

Gundam 00 S1 (End)

It was good, but I thought it had too many characters to develop in how much time was given. But I guess that's what S2 is for then.

I have heard about how S2 gets worse, but I already felt S1 was declining after the introduction of the Trinity team and the whirlwind of conspiracies in the latter half, so I am curious what would make it that much worse.

Heroic Age (End)

Fairly average and forgettable space opera, like what someone told me before I started. I enjoyed the caveman Age interaction sections, so it was sort of a shame when that sidelined later on.

ibyea

Banned
Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu: 4-7
Just an all around great show. Kikuhiko has progressed to be quiet an interesting character and he's finally found how to do his own Rakugo. It seems things are at a point where he is drifting apart from the others though. And as always, the Rakugo scenes are just so well done.

duckroll

RIP.

No matter what happened with SEED Destiny, I've always been a big fan of the original SEED. She did a great job creating the series with Fukuda. Hope Fukuda's holding up okay. Really sad news. She's been unwell for a long time now, sad to see that she didn't eventually pull through. Hope she's in a better place now. T_T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom