• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -4| It's not my fault!

Community's choice! What should the next numbering of the |OT| format be?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pokemon B/W Rival Destinies 49

x20qo.jpg
sTjTw.jpg

Buy Pokemon Dream Radar for your chance to get these rare forms!

So, big surprise even with a tsundere Dragonite, Cynthia's Garchomp and the other stuff, Pikachu saves the day. Moving on.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
I couldn't have said it better myself.

*pours a scotch in your honor*

I'll drink to this! *raises glass* Don't ever let anyone tell you that you aren't a fine fellow yourself!

As for the last few pages:
fuknomx9.gif

Oh come now... Surely you're used to a little of this once in a while by now. At the very least be grateful that I try so hard to restrain myself until the evening!

The things I do out of modesty for some of you!

OceanBlue

Not to mention there's a female looking male florist....

Doujin artists won't even have to make up random old people to stick in their doujin, because Tamako Market has those too!

... Ugh. I need to go to sleep before my mental image of Tamako Market is defiled any further.

Reknoc

Bakemonogatari (1-8)

Characters talk about nothing forever while the visuals are like the anime equivalent of someone playing WarioWare fast forwarded. Still the fight at the end of the monkey girl arc was pretty good, CG chair fountains aside.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Smile Precure 45

That... was actually pretty disappointing for all the hype surrounding the finale. You could tell this episode was the one given the least amount of budget and probably outsourced*. It reminded me of a filler Dragon Ball Z episode where the beamspam is turned all the way up to eleven and there's no creativity given to the close-quarters combat beyond the flurry of punches being interchanged. It's a huge downgrade in animation quality from the past five episodes, which I guess is to be expected after such a nice run. I'm hoping it picks up soon, because what's to come next is genuinely intriguing.

Heartcatch spoilers to follow:
As for the way the writers handled the three subordinates' final battle and revelations, I thought it wasn't as impressive as it was done in Umakoshi's attempt. Heartcatch actually didn't explicitly tell you about Cobraja, Sasorina, and Kumojacky's origins. Their return to normal life was never known to the heroines either, and in fact you had to figure out yourself that Prof. Sabaku went out of his way to take their heart flowers out from their comatose bodies --or, maybe, they became comatose because of what he did to them.

I will admit to not foreseeing that the three subordinates were fairies to begin with, which is pretty obvious considering the nature of fairy tales in this universe, so I'll give the show that for lulling me into thinking something else entirely.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Random watch: Nichijou 01

I dunno about this one Drago. It's kinda funny, but it's ALL OVER the damn place too. Really hit and miss.

Great lookin show though.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Gonna post some Heartcatch gifs I found while looking for screens of today's Smile in order to cleanse the bad taste of Toei being Toei away:
I even got something for SDBurton!
Ah, that feels much better. Why didn't Smile have something similar to Snackies anyway? Those sandbags had some funny skits!

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Gonna post some Heartcatch gifs I found while looking for screens of today's Smile in order to cleanse the bad taste of Toei being Toei away:

mB7vy.gif

Ah, that feels much better. Why didn't Smile have something similar to Snackies anyway? Those sandbags had some funny skits!

Dat hand holding.

sogood.gif

Risette

A Good Citizen
Speaking of Tamako Market, when will KyoAni ever break out from the highschool girl genre? They clearly can do more wonderful things in other genres given by their talents and also when will we ever see a animated kiss scene from them? I've never seen any kiss scene from every KyoAni show I watch.
"highschool girl genre" lol

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Smile Precure 45

That... was actually pretty disappointing for all the hype surrounding the finale. You could tell this episode was the one given the least amount of budget and probably outsourced*. It reminded me of a filler Dragon Ball Z episode where the beamspam is turned all the way up to eleven and there's no creativity given to the close-quarters combat beyond the flurry of punches being interchanged. It's a huge downgrade in animation quality from the past five episodes, which I guess is to be expected after such a nice run. I'm hoping it picks up soon, because what's to come next is genuinely intriguing.

Heartcatch spoilers to follow:
As for the way the writers handled the three subordinates' final battle and revelations, I thought it wasn't as impressive as it was done in Umakoshi's attempt. Heartcatch actually didn't explicitly tell you about Cobraja, Sasorina, and Kumojacky's origins. Their return to normal life was never known to the heroines either, and in fact you had to figure out yourself that Prof. Sabaku went out of his way to take their heart flowers out from their comatose bodies --or, maybe, they became comatose because of what he did to them.

I will admit to not foreseeing that the three subordinates were fairies to begin with, which is pretty obvious considering the nature of fairy tales in this universe, so I guess I'll give the show that for lulling me into thinking something else entirely.

Yeah, it was kind of a bad episode even if the final seconds were super hype. I mean, I probably won't even be genuinely mad if the entire endgame looks this bad considering what we got for the past month, but man this was ugly for a supposedly meaningful and climactic confrontation. There was really just the one amazing shot of Akaoni and that was it. I mean,
the design of the Bad End Precures' costumes
seem optimized for higher-quality action scenes but the PV clips were so short that I can't get a feel in advance for next episode's budget. It's going to suck if they
skimp next week only to put in an effort for whatever lumbering stupid giant gorilla clown shit SSJ Pierrot ends up being

re the spoilered:
yeah, nothing will probably ever beat how understated and elegant the denouement for Heartcatch's villain trio was. Shit made me tear up yo.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Pokemon B/W Rival Destinies 49
Giovanni hasn't been phased out of the show? And he's finally being given prominence? Holy fuck.
re the spoilered:
yeah, nothing will probably ever beat how understated and elegant the denouement for Heartcatch's villain trio was. Shit made me tear up yo.
Worst case scenario with Dokidoki we all just rewatch Heartcatch for the good ol' times. I call dibs on Erika's smugface avatar again!

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Giovanni hasn't been phased out of the show? And he's finally being given prominence? Holy fuck.

Like fifteen years and he can still only communicate to his son through antagonizing him every day of his fucking life.

Worst case scenario with Dokidoki we all just rewatch Heartcatch for the good ol' times. I call dibs on Erika's smugface avatar again!

I'll probably rewatch it relatively soon regardless.

Yuru Yuri Season 1
Lovable cast, same sex awkward moments, main character getting shit on and Toshino Kyoko. This show has it all. Definitely a good show to watch if you just want some good laughs and feels. Chitose's family must come from outer space or something. Points for relatively laid back fanservice. It is innocent stuff compared to the monogatari series or some of the stuff gaffers have been talking about lol.

9/10

Can't wait to watch season 2!

Thoraxes

Yuru Yuri Season 1

Lovable cast of characters, same sex awkward moments, main character getting shit on and Toshino Kyoko. This show has it all. Definitely a good show to watch if you just want some laughs and some good feels.

9/10

Can't wait to watch season 2!

Season 2 has a lot more of the best character, thankfully.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus

Steroyd

n3SRG.gif

I felt the urge to randomly post this gif.

Smile Precure - 45

Why don't I ever learn, knowing Toei it's most likely not out of context, but no matter how hyped I am at the end of an episode does not justify taking a peek at the next episode preview.

Episode on a whole was fairly standard stuff I expect from the genre, the end though, bring on next week.

Oh come now... Surely you're used to a little of this once in a while by now. At the very least be grateful that I try so hard to restrain myself until the evening!

The things I do out of modesty for some of you!

Thanks to these things called timezones, this is a first thing in the morning for me. T_T

wonzo

Banned
Ixion Saga DT 13

Everyone already called the twist so I'm just gonna focus on the greatest character Yuu Kobayashi has played ever since One Off. She better appear in this series again!

Season 2 has a lot more of the best character, thankfully.
You better be talking about Kyoko. She is just amazing. I've seen a lot of anime over the years, but her antics occasionally throw me for a loop even now.
In a show full of cute things, that kid is the cutest goddamn thing in YuruYuri
I'm partial to Akari and the student council president. The little kid is super cute too.
Are we talking literally or figuratively?

After everything that has transpired in here lately, I feel like this is a pertinent question.
Figuratively

The poor girl can't catch a break. She is genuinely entertaining as well, though.

trejo

Ixion Saga DT

I dropped this shit after like two episodes in but I kept seeing mentions of Yu Kobayashi featuring prominently in this episode so I just had to check it out and then I was rewarded for my efforts.

Yu Kobayashi fucking owns.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Wait, you didn't like Smile?!

Conan-san

Inaba - Very much a "Mars Bar" show, you know you're not getting anything nutritious out of it but you like what you're getting instead.

Mangirl/Ai-Mai-mi/Osaka - These on the other hand, aren't worth the three minutes it takes to get though an episode.

Inferno Cop - This, however, is the Adult Swim short series Williams Street wishes it could make these days. Sure I could complain about the
Extreme water breaking
but that'd be like screaming at the tide to get it to stop moving, pointless and stupid. Which is the opposite of Inferno Cop.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

I dunno about this one Drago. It's kinda funny, but it's ALL OVER the damn place too. Really hit and miss.

It's much easier if you think of it as an anime sketch show. There's not a lot in the way of plot, but what is there is pretty entertaining. The main reason to watch Nichijou, though, is the random moments of hilarity. There's only one part of the show I don't like, and that's a certain overly-long recurring skit that takes way too long to get to the punchline (though I suppose that's the joke). Fortunately it only happens three times throughout the series. Otherwise though, it's all pretty wonderful.

Milamber

Name sounded incredibly familiar, so I looked it up and gave it a read.

That story hits you in the fucking gut at the end. Holy hell the depression you'll get. :O

This is why Yuri is superior, I don't have to deal with this shit!
Fatalpulse makes me feel nauseous , like physically sick, while Tachibana is glorious fun.
A 50 page introduction followed by 100 pages glory all while the main character is sleeping :lol, truly a doujin as colossal in size as in importance.
Oh yes! Join me, join me in my misery when I first read it over a year ago. Anyway, enough of this doujin talk.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Remember the first three episodes of Gurren Lagann and how it looked totally amazing? Remember episode four with the derpfaces and the awful animation and the dumb script that 7th defends to death because he sucks on Osamu Kobayashi's dick? This is what Smile Precure 45 feels like, except with Kobayashi replaced by a disease called Toeirunningoutofmoneyitis.

Ultimadrago

It's much easier if you think of it as an anime sketch show. There's not a lot in the way of plot, but what is there is pretty entertaining. The main reason to watch Nichijou, though, is the random moments of hilarity. There's only one part of the show I don't like, and that's a certain overly-long recurring skit that takes way too long to get to the punchline (though I suppose that's the joke). Fortunately it only happens three times throughout the series. Otherwise though, it's all pretty wonderful.

The show has always been a comedy that relishes in how normal it is at its core. Even its exaggerated elements are rooted in traditional and normal events (a completely surreal stance being more rare than impressions I've seen lead to believe). The tone of the series and the character interactions are still aspects that are to be enjoyed in the show. The "random" in Nichijou is at many times simply the feeling, emotions and confrontations of daily situations taken a notch up. (Aside from some pieces/characters, such as Mai. She's consistently a mysterious one... and Nano who is a robot created by a child named "Professor"
though that label of the character is overshadowed by a personality trait much more...common for her age
) Its label of being crazy or random is only rivaled by how normal and rooted its focus is.

Skits that are long-in-the-tooth occur, but they are few. They certainly didn't affect my overall enjoyment of the work. "Hit-and-miss" is another phrase that runs across me as odd. If I understand it correctly at face value, then I'd assume there's a comedy existing that's hits all its notes with everyone? I believe people say it with Nichijou is because of its segmented structure. It's aware to isolate its jokes past the general low-tempo tone of the everyday. The humor doesn't roll throughout constantly in an episode or half (like Gintama or Jinrui
sans a particular event
, which both do their job very effectively at their peaks).

Anyhow, I hope you find a good time with it in your erm...random watch overall, Tomat. It's excellent.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Remember the first three episodes of Gurren Lagann and how it looked totally amazing? Remember episode four with the derpfaces and the awful animation and the dumb script that 7th defends to death because he sucks on Osamu Kobayashi's dick? This is what Smile Precure 45 feels like, except with Kobayashi replaced by a disease called Toeirunningoutofmoneyitis.
GL 4 doesn't have awful animation though.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
GL 4 doesn't have awful animation though.
Bad choice of words. I should have said it has barely any animation!

Actually I don't wanna come off too hard on Kobayashi. I thought his Panty and Stocking episode was great! His style just added nothing to Gurren Lagann.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom