• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -4| It's not my fault!

Community's choice! What should the next numbering of the |OT| format be?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Westlo

I really don't understand the love for the manga design tbh, the LN (which the anime take) easily better. Bar the execution using it tho.

Most people saw the manga first obviously so they prefer those designs, though I can see why they would prefer them unbiased as well. Same shit happened with Hagani on that forum remember? Since we obviously don't get the LN translated the manga got down first and people wanted that style.

cajunator

Banned
I got home ok.
Some roads are flooding though.
Definitely made the right decision.

OK, so I'm watching Chuniibyou now and man, this is fun. It's also the most gorgeous thing I've ever seen. Then again, I'm a sucker for good to great uses of color.

Yeah it is a really beautiful show.
Going to watch Tamako market in a little bit.

fertygo

Consensus for the manga design is a majority favors the hot women designs.

The eyes really put me off for the manga design, but the art and drawing does look great.. the chara design that I have problem.
Most people saw the manga first obviously so they prefer those designs, though I can see why they would prefer them unbiased as well. Same shit happened with Hagani on that forum remember? Since we obviously don't get the LN translated the manga got down first and people wanted that style.
Ah.. its make sense.

taku

Have there been any new good show lately? I haven't really been following anything for a long time and tend to stay to manga.
I would like to watch something with a genuinely good story/dialogue (with no moe bullshit). Preferably a well written slice-of-life/seinen/drama..

Or is the anime world nowadays solely filled with shows about 8 year old girls? Because that's about all I'm seeing in these types of threads.. :(

Risette

A Good Citizen
Have there been any new good show lately? I haven't really been following anything for a long time and tend to stay to manga.
I would like to watch something with a genuinely good story/dialogue (with no moe bullshit). Preferably a well written slice-of-life/seinen/drama..

Or is the anime world nowadays solely filled with shows about 8 year old girls? Because that's about all I'm seeing in these types of threads.. :(
Hyouka is one of the best anime series' ever made, so yes.

Milamber

Is the new non rerun Gintama treated as a new season or is still technically continuing from the last where it started the reruns?

Thoraxes

No, not really.

cajunator

Banned

Steins;Gate

wonzo

Banned
Polar Bear Cafe 39
polarbear39.jpg
polarbear39a.jpg

polarbear39b.jpg
polarbear39c.jpg

Good lord are the new OP and ED great, especially the ED sung by none other than Kana Hanazawa!

Have there been any new good show lately?
Hyouka
tsuritama
Polar Bear Cafe
Joshiraku
Humanity Has Declined
Girls und Panzer

keep the change

taku

All right peeps, thanks for the recommendations!

Space Brothers and Kids on the Slope are also pretty excellent.
I agree, they are quite excellent as I have been reading them! So I probably don't have to watch the anime adaptions these..

Kazzy

Space Brothers and Kids on the Slope are also pretty excellent.

I found that Kids on the Slope ended too abruptly (or at least cannibalizes itself a little too much in reaching the finale), for me to call it excellent. It certainly has flashes of that throughout, though (not least of all the music), so it's a shame that I felt so short-changed by its conclusion.

This is something of a reminder to read the manga too, because by all accounts, this is something which was largely brought about by the adaptation.

I agree, they are quite excellent as I have been reading them!

I'll be curious to get your thoughts, once you've finished it.

Cardfight!! Vanguard 29 - 31 (eng Dub)

Really good moments in these episode. Kai as usual was stunning against the Kyou "Crush Rush" but I wonder what intensive training Ren Suzugamori makes his team go through to leave Kyou whimpering and crying.

Unfortunately i was a bit saddened that team Q4 lost in these preliminaries, thought the would be able to survive but I guess it was a huge order to expect them to somehow be able to win against the national champions of the previous year. If Kai leaves Q4 I will be sad. Kamui must be crushed to have left the team when they needed him most.

taku

I found that Kids on the Slope ended too abruptly (or at least cannibalizes itself a little too much in reaching the finale), for me to call it excellent. It certainly has flashes of that throughout, though (not least of all the music), so it's a shame that I felt so short-changed by its conclusion.

This is something of a reminder to read the manga too, because by all accounts, this is something which was largely brought about by the adaptation.

I'll be curious to get your thoughts, once you've finished it.
Well actually, I am already finished with Kids On The Slope and I thoroughly enjoyed it! It was very melancholic and I have no gripes with the ending at all (Volume 10 is the last one, right?).

Pooya

girls und panzer - 4

if framerate wasn't so bad at times, CGs wouldn't look that bad. it's watchable mostly though.
pretty good, fun match.

this scene looks really wrong, the tanks are too small in relation to the street, RC toy tanks...

this scene can become a very useful good gif

stryke

Zero, as it is a prequel.

Oh boy, going from the quality of Zero to Stay Night...

A lot of people seem to like Hyouka...might give it another go when I've got nothing else to watch. It started out okay but got bored around the time they got involved with that drama club or something (can't remember).

Milamber

^ don't watch Fate/Stay Night ever.

Watch the Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works instead.

Alternatively, Fate/Stay Night TV Reproduction for the first route as the other is another route. It's a summary of Fate/Stay Night TV's 26 episode run in 2 hours only.

fertygo

Tamako Market

This so fun and lively, slice-of-life at its finest, don't get the complain at all.. maybe they expect the shopping district turn to The Hunger Games or something. The bird are awesome.

This a even worse suggestion.

Maedhros

Sigh... this season is so lackluster... I'll pick Tamako simply because there's nothing else to watch, and I want at least more than one (Haganai S2).

Also, when I finish watching Ixion Saga and Tonari no Kaibatsu-kun later today, my backlog season will start. Pokemon BW and BW2 will be included with a lot of other supposedly great shows.

Defuser

Gintama ep 257

New OP fucking rocks! Oh man, this arc contains a Gintoki's past, Tsukuyo, Miwarigumi and the SH-SH-SHOGUN?! My head is full of fuck. This is gonna be the best arc ever!!

Pooya

He wouldn't understand what's happening mostly by watching UBW, that movie isn't meant as an standalone watch, it's like half quick recap, half some things happenings.

I don't like it much overall, maybe it's better than Fate route and the TV anime.

Theonik

I'm so confused.
Well...
"Why are you pretending to be Teknopathetic, Haly?

You scared the shit out of me."

Avatar bet with some extra stipulations.
You've met with a terrible fate, haven't you?

Is Tamako Market set in Tokyo? Are the characters university students or working adults with lots of disposable income or pocket money?
Also, just because they are just now starting to be popular it doesn't mean that everyone has one, it will be years of that trend continuing for that to be the case especially for students that can't exactly buy a phone whenever they like. Plus flip-phones are cute.

these backgrounds... why
:Shaft. Maybe they'll fix it on the BD release. Said this on IRC too but I hate the direction they went with this. The sketches looked fine, what the hell happened. The colour filter they went with doesn't help it either. Ugly waste colours.

Tamako Market

This so fun and lively, slice-of-life at its finest, don't get the complain at all.. maybe they expect the shopping district turn to The Hunger Games or something. The bird are awesome.

This a even worse suggestion.

I thought Kimi to Boku was slice of life at its finest. I do not think turning it into something like THG would solve Tamako Market's problem.

Maedhros

Gintama ep 257

New OP fucking rocks! Oh man, this arc contains a Gintoki's past, Tsukuyo, Miwarigumi and the SH-SH-SHOGUN?! My head is full of fuck. This is gonna be the best arc ever!!

The Freaking SHOGUUNNNNNNN!?

Oh, just remembered... I'll add Gintama to my backlog. :D

Narag

Alternatively, Fate/Stay Night TV Reproduction for the first route as the other is another route. It's a summary of Fate/Stay Night TV's 26 episode run in 2 hours only.

Reproduction wasn't half bad. It excised all the harem shit and useless woman Saber stuff.

fertygo

Just watch FSN first, if you planning to watch both anyway.. You will respect Zero more because quality jump etc etc, and I still think some FSN experience add something when you watch Zero.

Or just play the VN.
I thought Kimi to Boku was slice of life at its finest.

I get it DTL.
Reproduction wasn't half bad. It excised all the harem shit and useless woman Saber stuff.

Good idea.

Jex

Production IG, bold innovators that they are, bring you a work unlike anything you've ever seen.

Windy Tales 1

[...]I don't really have a bead on where this story is headed. It's called Windy Tales, and the characters seem awfully eager to learn about the wind, so that's probably what's going to happen. I'm not sure if that leads anywhere more complicated than increased harmony with nature, or what[...]
Now that you've watched the show you can appreciate why I had a hard time summarising what it was about!

stryke

Tamako Market

Didn't know slice of life could include a talking bird that is capable of projecting images from its eyes. Yep, the epitome of slice of life for sure. It's cute (dat imouto) and I chuckled a few times but I get no sense of direction from this show whatsoever. For me it felt it was laying down multiple subplots but I don't really feel there's much of a main plot.

I do have to say though, when I saw that ouji guy projected by the Mochiyucky, I suddenly imagined all the NTR doujins using this plot device. I may need to seek professional help.

Jex

Did they dig up Imagawa yet?

He's just in stasis. They'll summon him when he is needed.
Wounded Man 2

[awful stuff]

This shit is so terrible. The whole male power fantasy is taken to such an extreme that Sword Art Online looks tame in comparison.
Well, Kazou Koike really created the Japanese male power fantasy, a long with Takao Saito. This shouldn't surprise you!
Tamako Market 01

Not feeling the same vibes I had when watching K-On's and Chuu2's first episodes, animation is great and all but the characters themselves didn't appeal much, exception being the bird.

Speaking of the bird, he was the only redeemable aspect of the episode in terms of comedy which is largely due to "loltalkingbird" aspect of it.

Oh well, hopefully it picks up in the next few episodes, not giving upon the series yet.

Well the purpose of the episode was clearly to set up the gimmick and the setting while giving a cursory glance at a wide range of characters. I assume they'll get more developed as the show progresses.

Milamber

Didn't know slice of life could include a talking bird that is capable of projecting images from its eyes. Yep, the epitome of slice of life for sure. It's cute (dat imouto) and I chuckled a few times but I get no sense of direction from this show whatsoever. For me it felt it was laying down multiple subplots but I don't really feel there's much of a main plot.

I do have to say though, when I saw that ouji guy projected by the Mochiyucky, I suddenly imagined all the NTR doujins using this plot device. I may need to seek professional help.

ZyqC7.png

Jex

While I am well aware that the anime compresses the storyline I don't really have any desire to visit the original source material. I don't really want to experience the work without hearing the music. I know that doesn't make any sense because of course the original source material doesn't have audio but it's not a prospect that appeals to me. The story may be more satisfying in an uncompressed format but for whatever reason I don't feel like revisiting it. I'm good.

fertygo

I don't know how you can say lack of direction, when its succeedly establish the location, tone, theme and character in one episode, weird.

Didn't know slice of life could include a talking bird that is capable of projecting images from its eyes
So you think its suddenly anytime still can turn to Gundam plot just because that? Yep.

Theonik

Tamako Market 01
KyoAni's done it again! Production values were pretty great as you would expect from a KyoAni show and I found the show to be pretty fun so far. They also managed to effectively establish the basic cast and setting in the first episode without dragging it out. Now to see how they follow through. Hopefully what they laid out in this episode evolves in some nice gags over time.

-Minsc-

Is the new non rerun Gintama treated as a new season or is still technically continuing from the last where it started the reruns?

Continuation. :)

Gintama ep 257

With the Miwarigumi and SH-SH-SHOGUN! will certainly bring the Shinsengumi. Even more fuck for your mind.

stryke

I don't know how you can say lack of direction, when its succeedly establish the location, tone, theme and character in one episode, weird.

SPOILERS for those who haven't watched it yet, maybe a bit late heh...

Maybe "direction" is not the right word, but from the first episode I'm still not sure what kind of story it is trying to tell. My initial impressions of the show may have been complicated by my expectations that it would be a nice slice of life story, and there is a certainly somewhat of an element of that but that notion constantly gets torned down by the babbling (but occasionally funny) bird. Then we get the stereotypical spineless love interest to inject some sort of romance which I don't see culminating to anything by the time this series finishes...and that cliffhanger at the end, I actually thought the bird was high on something but to think this is their way of adding some sort drama to the anime is just..weird??? I dunno. I just find the subplot of "exotic prince sends bird to look for bride" very uncompelling.

And here I am, trying to identify a compelling story withing Tamako Market, yet I'm guilty of watching Lucky Star multiple times.

So you think its suddenly anytime still can turn to Gundam plot just because that? Yep.

Lol, if only. I just personally hold slice of life to a very strict definition, meaning a genre void of any supernatural or science fiction elements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom