• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -4| It's not my fault!

Community's choice! What should the next numbering of the |OT| format be?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
Woohoo! Like I've said that Denpa Onna collection is awesome...I really love NISA's work. I've still got to pick up Bodacious Space Pirates. Halfway through it on Crunchyroll and it's quite enjoyable.

plus the happy bloody version of BloodC!
I had to wait an extra day but it was worth it. Based on where hte twister hit I literally would have driven into its path, so its a good thing I didnt drive to my parents place yesterday!

plus the happy bloody version of BloodC!
I had to wait an extra day but it was worth it. Based on where hte twister hit I literally would have driven into its path, so its a good thing I didnt drive to my parents place yesterday!

Yeah, I'm glad you waited too :).

I'm not too familiar with BloodC, but took a quick glance on Wikipedia and I think I may check out soon.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I think it just came out today in fact! According to Amazon.jp anyway.
So no more?

Ce2d2.gif

RIP GameBoy Camera until the next OVA preview.

Rah Xephon 1

This show is weird. Like, tops weird. Like, one of the weirdest anime I've seen in awhile. And if the two weird flying singing ladies are indication of the mecha designs for the show, I dunno how I feel yet.

This is probably my favorite Bones series next to Eureka Seven. Definitely stick with this one.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Happy Birthday Hidamari Sketch anime. You chose a good day to premiere on and call your first episode.

Defuser

Kotoura-san ep 1

Man, the first 10 min is gloomy and depressing, really tugs my strings. :(

Then comes a male idiot and a goofy OP which abruptly change the atmosphere which is unsettling and it's a fault but then again it maybe a wise decision, the ending was heartwarming enough. I'm glad the male is an idiot, giving a male with brains would cause needless problems and drama for Kotoura.

This could be a good show, first episode is a dark horse of the season. YOU GUYS SHOULD WATCH THIS!! Or at least the first 10 mins.

BluWacky

Time to make more of a fool of myself!

Why is this a bad thing? Perfect organization and construction should be commended.

Not if it's Islamic art we're talking about!

Alas, we're not, so I'm going to have to try and explain myself rather than being flippant.

I am failing to explain myself properly. What I disliked about it is that it doesn't feel like a "natural" introduction to the show, because if felt artificial. It has absolutely every element that the first episode of a show like this should have, obviously, but...

It's becoming ever more clear that the issues I have with the first episode are much more about me than anything that the production team have done. I watched the episode thinking about how it was constructed rather than actually enjoying it. Why that is I will hopefully cover a bit below...

Substantial how?

I think we both know that I've used completely the wrong word. I don't mean substantial - it would be ridiculous to suggest there's nothing of substance in Tamako Market, there's a lot going on in the first ep from a technical and a narrative perspective.

What I meant, frankly, is "not so ridiculously cheery". It's not the same thing as substance, and I should never have used the word because it's incredibly dismissive to works with a happy tone.

Your later post basically sums up what I'm trying to say:

It's not really about taking things case by case, it's more about judging things for what they are instead of what you want them to be.

This is a much better way of articulating what I want to say than my verbal diarrhoea. Tamako Market is extremely good for what it is, but it's not something that I'd like to watch any more episodes of. I felt the same about Gurren Lagann's first episode, for instance.

I guess if you find it tedious to read people saying things like that then it must be very hard for you to read anyone's posts on anime, because virtually everyone has an emotional response to entertainment that's different from a purely rational one. Rationally, I think pretty much every element of the episode is as well crafted as it can be - but emotionally, it didn't really appeal to me.

I don't want Tamako Market to be anything other than what it is. It's just that what it is isn't something I want to watch more of.

this show sounds interesting......... I want to watch it now, dammit >_<

Well considering only like 3 of the episodes were good during its 12 episode run, and then the more interesting episodes were disc exclusives...it may not be worth it. I think the bonus episodes were more compelling than much of the shows material.

duckroll

Tamako Market - Episode 1

I bet you've all been waiting for this. I really dragged my feet on watching this, for some unknown reason. Well, I've finally seen it! Did I like it? Maybe...?

I'm honestly not sure how I feel about the series, or even the first episode. I didn't dislike it, and it was well made, but I did feel rather confused about how it ended up. It's really not what I expected, and in some ways that was a good thing, and in other ways it wasn't so much of a good thing.

I'll start off by what I liked about it - the setting is rather unique and original even though the premise isn't, it was wackier than I expected, and most of it was really pleasant to look at. Here's what I disliked - There isn't a very compelling hook in the series, at least not if you find the talking bird rather annoying like I did, and the pace moves way too fast deliver the sort of leisurely experience I hoped it would have.

The premiere seems to be caught between trying to be a slice of life sort of setting (laid back town, family businesses, club activities) and also trying to be a faster pace comedy/drama (wacky gags, talking bird, relationship and narrative hooks which remind me of Tari Tari). The combination doesn't really seem to work that well so far, and I feel that instead of being balanced, it feels like a ton of scenes from two completely different shows. That hampers my enjoyment. Hopefully the show finds a way to balance it relatively soon.

I really liked the OP/EDs visually, which is expected from Kyoto Animation, but I'm definitely not a fan of the songs. The ED song in particular I really don't care for. I think the show itself could do with better music too, especially after Hyouka. Yeah, I'm picky. Sue me! :p

----

Psycho-pass - Episode 12

HAUb2.jpg

Wtf is wrong with his face?!

This is a relatively by the books flashback episode which doesn't really tell us much about any of the characters, and only serves to explain some background stuff which I don't think anyone really asked for in the first place. It's not bad, but it's not particularly great either, but I guess anyone who is still sticking with this series will probably not hate the episode much since it's hardly the worst thing we've seen.

It's funny to see how unlikable any of the characters are, even 3 years ago. I guess this shows that some times don't change, and there isn't really much character development to be expected here. It also looks like the cops were just as incompetent 3 years ago as they are now. Adding a few new members since then really changed nothing! Lol.

Another confirmation is that 3 years ago, criminal cases are just as boring as they are now, and fashion sense of underground hipsters were just as bad as they were in the avatar case in ep4-5.

Psycho-pass... Psycho-pass never changes.

Ryuukan

Repost for new page:

&#65399;&#65408;&#9473;&#9473;&#9473;&#12541;(&#12541;(&#65439;&#12541;(&#65439;&#8704;&#12541;(&#65439;&#8704;&#65439;&#12541;(&#65439;&#8704;&#65439;)&#65417;&#65439;&#8704;&#65439;)&#65417;&#8704;&#65439;)&#65417;&#65439;)&#65417;)&#65417;&#9473;&#9473;!
AKIBARANGER S2 COMING:

Theonik

It would be great, but it would have to be a fucking Shamylan-esque twist. Something like that one where it turned out the 17th century puritanical bullshit was just set in a national forest in 20th century america or something.
Could also be a time travelling "wizard" leading an army of primitive medieval men to raid a castle and gags like that.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
You guys are the best. I <3 you all. Even you RurouniZel!

&#35090;&#12417;&#12425;&#12428;&#12383;&#65281; &#65288;&#65342;&#957;&#65342;&#65289;

(For the curious it just says "I got praised", "I" being the implied subject and "praised" in passive)

Dresden

Repost for new page:

&#65399;&#65408;&#9473;&#9473;&#9473;&#12541;(&#12541;(&#65439;&#12541;(&#65439;&#8704;&#12541;(&#65439;&#8704;&#65439;&#12541;(&#65439;&#8704;&#65439;)&#65417;&#65439;&#8704;&#65439;)&#65417;&#8704;&#65439;)&#65417;&#65439;)&#65417;)&#65417;&#9473;&#9473;!
AKIBARANGER S2 COMING:

Guess I should wrap up S1 at some point.

Theonik

Nah, the second Hyouka ED owned.
Linking for effect

Tamako Market - Episode 1

I bet you've all been waiting for this. I really dragged my feet on watching this, for some unknown reason. Well, I've finally seen it! Did I like it? Maybe...?

I'm honestly not sure how I feel about the series, or even the first episode. I didn't dislike it, and it was well made, but I did feel rather confused about how it ended up. It's really not what I expected, and in some ways that was a good thing, and in other ways it wasn't so much of a good thing.

I'll start off by what I liked about it - the setting is rather unique and original even though the premise isn't, it was wackier than I expected, and most of it was really pleasant to look at. Here's what I disliked - There isn't a very compelling hook in the series, at least not if you find the talking bird rather annoying like I did, and the pace moves way too fast deliver the sort of leisurely experience I hoped it would have.

The premiere seems to be caught between trying to be a slice of life sort of setting (laid back town, family businesses, club activities) and also trying to be a faster pace comedy/drama (wacky gags, talking bird, relationship and narrative hooks which remind me of Tari Tari). The combination doesn't really seem to work that well so far, and I feel that instead of being balanced, it feels like a ton of scenes from two completely different shows. That hampers my enjoyment. Hopefully the show finds a way to balance it relatively soon.

I really liked the OP/EDs visually, which is expected from Kyoto Animation, but I'm definitely not a fan of the songs. The ED song in particular I really don't care for. I think the show itself could do with better music too, especially after Hyouka. Yeah, I'm picky. Sue me! :p
All will be clear next episode I guess.
But the less said about the first ED, the better.
It's the song that lets it down most of all In fact anime does way too much J-Pop and could benefit from considering other alternatives more often

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom