• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -4| It's not my fault!

Community's choice! What should the next numbering of the |OT| format be?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Robotics;Notes 12

This is heartwarming and all, but wasn't shit supposed to happen. Where the hell did that major sense of impending doom from last episode go?

Milamber

Someone dropped Honey and Clover!? Why? The story and soundtrack is awesome! I use their piano and guitar only tunes as the hold music in my company's IVR system exclusively. Huge drop of irate customers.

EDIT: You'd think DTL would watch it if not for the boy love through Meat-senpai.

cajunator

Banned
I think one of my biggest problems regarding backlogs is that I tend to rewatch shows several times before moving on to others.
Rewatching Steins;Gate now, for example.

Milamber

I think one of my biggest problems regarding backlogs is that I tend to rewatch shows several times before moving on to others.

Guilty for Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, Acchi Kocchi, Gintama (best arcs), Lucky Star and Nichijou.

Nafe

Tamako Market - 01

As a very big K-On fan, I thought this episode was eh. I didn't mind the dude, actually. I thought he was interesting in the Taichi-friendzone kind of way but the bird was pretty annoying. I got the schtick they were going for but I don't understand why they'd ever take it in. The comedy is a little weak and I didn't get a sense of what they were going for plot-wise. Is this gonna be straight comedy or another slice of life?

Also, it seems like this show is gonna be based mainly in the shopping district and no the school it seems (considering the characters introduced) so that's a plus. The last show I remember being based on one is umm... Sore demo(?) while of course 90% of all anime in a season is based in a school.

The animation is, of course, top notch although I wish they'd do more to differentiate from K-On. The first scene with girls running around looked like it was Mio, Mugi and Yui walking home from school.

Yay, you're back. As you might have seen from my gushing review, I quite liked the first episode. Yeah, the bird seems to be a love 'em or hate 'em type character right now for most people. I'm kind of in the middle. It also seems like pretty much everybody is wondering what direction the show will take.

I'm not really as bothered by the overuse of the high school setting as most seem to be but I do like that the shopping district seems to be getting a big focus as this shows setting. So far the familiarities to K-On aren't really bothering me.

I'm not sure if you saw my post and naturally you don't have to respond to it but I posted some thoughts on the first Bungaku Shoujo Memoir if you wanted something about Bungaku Shoujo to read.

Bungaku Shoujo Memoir I comments

I was actually wondering when you'd post this earlier today and if you put it on hold. Really enjoying reading your impressions on this so far. You should also watch the Birth OVA after the series. Fits in quite nicely with some of the sub-plots in this episode.

Thanks. :)

Yeah, I've been a bit busy so I didn't actually get too far ahead but I was purposely waiting to see if the thread would slow down. If it never did then I would have posted them and then hoped that at least Lafiel and yourself would have read them along with some others such as gashikunFLCL.

Is it better to watch the OVA after Crest or after watching all of Banner?

Narag

I did exclusively new (to me) stuff last year. Itching for rewatches of Turn A, Votoms, Lodoss War (as a leadup to Crystania and Lodoss TV, Cowboy Bebop, Trigun. Gundam Wing, and .hack//sign. There's also a degree of wanting to apply what I've learned in here this past year to those shows to see how well their quality holds up to what I remember.

Branduil

Tamako Market 1

ioS0owYqYgRz4.jpg

iSzQSQCR6afYD.jpg

iboq4ngbrFpwq3.jpg

I must agree with this guy.

A black comedy about forced child labor, Stockholm Syndrome, obesity, and sexual predators. Also, naming your kids "rice cakes" and "bean paste"? What terrible parents.

I'm not quite sure what to think about this. It's obviously a comedy, but the tone is, to put it in one word, offbeat. It doesn't exactly have the same feeling as typical Japanese comedy, even though a lot of the same elements are there. I suppose this comes down to directing, in that a lot of the absurdist and surreal humor is underplayed where it would normally be overplayed. Even so, I'm not sure what to think about this, being burnt on Chuunibyou and fearing future KEY-esque drama.

The good news is, this show looks really good, on par with Hyouka as far as the total package of animation, art direction, and photography goes. A special shout-out to the ED which really has some of the best photographic effects I've ever seen in animation:

Theonik

Is it better to watch the OVA after Crest or after watching all of Banner?
The OVA is a prequel mini-story of sorts so can be watched at any point after Crest. I would recommend watching it Between Crest and Banner as the events it references are related to the former more than the later. (and the Crest and Banner series are quite different from each other as you will come to discover, so it can act as a good bridge between the two.)

Mondaiji-tachi ga Isekai kara Kuru Sou Desu yo? 1
gyaKO.jpg

I kinda watched this because I thought it would be a pretty miserable experience, but I'm pretty surprised. The world built around the characters and the premise of why it exists is actually pretty interesting, so that's the main thing keeping my attention. The three main/human characters are kind of... alright. I'm already tired of Izayoi's arrogance. But Black Rabbit! I love Black Rabbit already. <3 There's something about her that I can't get enough of(maybe everything? :O) Another character that I *hope* to like is that Galdo Gasper dude at the end. He looks like a smooth motherfucker that will likely end up a villain. The ending is pretty good, too! The show is only going to last for 10 episodes, so that's one of my main gripes with it, since there's really... not much they can do with it in 10 episodes. I'll stick with it because the premise is interesting and it's short.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Love Live: School Idol Project 01:

The premise of this is at least slightly less dumb than other idol shows (a girl tries to form an idol group from students at her school to keep it from being shut down due to low registration numbers) and apart from the FUTURE OF ANIME™ most of it is nicely-animated and has good energy. As much as my perverse interest in the shittiness of idol culture makes me want to classify this as sufferwatch, it's actually okay popcorn fluff for now.

Branduil

Love Live: School Idol Project 01:

The premise of this is at least slightly less dumb than other idol shows (a girl tries to form an idol group from students at her school to keep it from being shut down due to low registration numbers) and apart from the FUTURE OF ANIME™ most of it is nicely-animated and has good energy. As much as my perverse interest in the shittiness of idol culture makes me want to classify this as sufferwatch, it's actually okay popcorn fluff for now.

It's unfortunate that this can be categorized in the "less dumb" category of idol shows.

trejo

Is Mad Pierrot implying that aiming to become Center Nova and putting your life in constant danger for the noble purpose of spreading entertainment to the farthest reaches of the galaxy is somehow dumb?

Surely not!

madp

The Light of El Cantare
list warz? list warz.

Watched the first season:

Chihayafuru S2
Haganai NEXT

Okay so far:

Hakkenden: Touhou Hakken Ibun
Love Live School Idol Project
Tamako Market
Zettai Karen Children: The Unlimited: Hyoubu Kyousuke

Studio obligations:

Amnesia
Sasami-san@Ganbaranai

Might drop:

Bakumatsu Gijinden Roman

Dropped:

Cuticle Detective Inaba
Maoyuu Maou Yuusha
Vividred Operation

Continuing:

Ixion Saga DT
JoJo (when I catch up)
Psycho-Pass
Shinsekai Yori
Zetsuen no Tempest

yup, backlog season.

Soo... I just finished my top 10 for 2012. The reviews for each show are kind of lengthy so I'm a bit worried about spoilers.

Hyouka
Joshiraku
Space Brothers
Humanity has declined
Girls und Panzer
Kids on the slope
Tsuritama
Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!
Nekomonogatari(Kuro)
Shin Sekai Yori

Is there anything I ought to remove or spoiler tag just in case? They are in order for those who will go through the trouble of reading. I was a big dummy for letting my keyboard get the best of me, but I sorta like these things since they let me stretch my fingers and brain a bit. Apologies my horrible grammar and punctuation. :(

Narag

Is Mad Pierrot implying that aiming to become Center Nova and putting your life in constant danger for the noble purpose of spreading entertainment to the farthest reaches of the galaxy is somehow dumb?

Surely not!

Oh hell no he'd better not.

Branduil

What did you just say about my Chuunibyou!?

Rikka is the Queen of moe!

So bow down to her if you want, bow to her. Bow to the Queen of Slime, the Queen of Filth, the Queen of Putrescence. Boo. Boo. Rubbish. Filth. Slime. Muck. Boo. Boo. Boo.

Risette

A Good Citizen
What did you just say about my Chuunibyou!?

Rikka is the Queen of moe!
It was bad and Rikka was more like an animal that needed upkeep than a human character. Almost a true 0/10 show without any merit whatsoever if it wasn't for KyoAni's animators, but it was still an ugly show due to the terrible character designs and coloring.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
It was bad and Rikka was more like an animal that needed upkeep than a human character. Almost a true 0/10 show without any merit whatsoever if it wasn't for KyoAni's animators, but it was still an ugly show due to the terrible character designs and coloring.

I agree with you on everything except for the coloring. While overly saturated, I thought the visuals and the colors worked well and were appropriate for the content.

My list:

- watching all the new shit outside of the 5 min shit.
- Am continuing all the old shit that I was still watching.

why are yall making lists right now? What ever happen to '3 eps before drop'?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom