• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 06•02-04•17 - Amazon princess crowned box office Queen and saves DCEU

LosDaddie

Banned
btw, on Infinity War, I was thinking about how the Marvel movies can't do serious, as a result of our 'Black Widow could work' (it can't) discussion in the previous thread, and almost every time the MCU tries to do 'serious' its downright awkward to the point of being unintentionally hilarious. That relationship talk in Age of Ultron was 'wait are they doing this? oh god they're doing this' material. I believe similar complaints exist toward the Jessica Jones and other Marvel tv shows as well.

So I'm really starting to wonder if Infinity War, which is apparently this deep dark jump into the abyss as far as Marvel goes, won't basically be the best worst unintentional comedy of all time when it goes all 'and here's a joke' and then some character violently dies or whatever.
Considering how extremely poorly the previous movies have dealt with it, I don't think they're suddenly going to 'get it' with that one.

Ironically, what the MCU needs, is a healthy dose of Zack Snyder.

This can't be a serious post, especially that last line 😂

kswiston

Deadline has an updated Monday number of $11.7M for Wonder Woman. The Actual should be fairly close to that. They report that 50% of K-12 schools are out.

MoS had a harsh second weekend drop, but then stabilized after that.

For 2 weekends. The second of which was a holiday weekend. After that was 3 consecutive high 50s-low 60s drops that killed the $300M domestic dream dead.

EDIT:

Deadline also had this to say:

Among all live-action features in June, Wonder Woman owns the fourth best Monday after Jurassic World ($25.3M), Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen ($14.9M) and Man of Steel ($12.6M).

However, I wouldn't read into that too much, since Wonder Woman was also the fourth biggest live action opening weekend in June. Age of Extinction and Harry Potter 3 were the only other live action films to crack $70M opening weekend in June.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Wonder Woman might be over $200m following the weekend, decent shot at $50m+ I think.I can't believe how well the calendar worked out for WB/DC here.

MoS had a harsh second weekend drop, but then stabilized after that.

MoS had WWZ and Monsters U combining for almost $150m in it's 2nd weekend. That was a pretty nice June at the box office.

kswiston

Wonder Woman might be over $200m following the weekend, decent shot at $50m+ I think.I can't believe how well the calendar worked out for WB/DC here.

MoS had WWZ and Monsters U combining for almost $150m in it's 2nd weekend. That was a pretty nice June at the box office.

Some of this will depend on whether Wonder Woman's Monday had more spill-over business from Sunday than is typical. If it did, we'll get a lower Tuesday increase, which will affect Wed/Thurs holds.

Just using Rough Numbers for now:

Monday: $11.7M
Tuesday: $14.0M (+20%)
Wednesday: $9.8M (-30%)
Thursday: $9.3M (-5%)

Total as of Thursday = $148.2M

$200M by Sunday will require a $51.8M second weekend, which would be a -49.9% drop. 44% without the Thursday previews.

It will be close, but I don't think a sub 50% drop is necessarily a given.

EDIT: And that's assuming that I am not being too generous with the daily drops above, which might be the case. Wednesday could be down closer to 35% and Thursday 10% for instance.

kswiston

That first Man of Steel's Monday followed Father's Day, did it help to reach $12.6M ?

Probably not. The Monday drop was steeper than typical in June, compensating for the inflated Sunday.

Here's a list of films that opened over $100M domestically, and had drops under 50% without extenuating circumstances (Holidays mostly. Father's day in the case of Jurassic World)

Spider-Man
Iron Man 1 (still a sub 50% drop with the $3.5M Thursday preview lumped into the OW)
Alice in Wonderland
Toy Story 3
The Jungle Book
Finding Dory
Beauty and the Beast

Shrek 2 would have easily been there without the holiday help. No for most (if not all) of the others.

Anecdotal but the local IMAX shows of Mummy are not selling at all. Currently 19 tickets total for the entire weekend. GitS sold more advance tickets at this point.

Even with how bad BvS and Suicide Squad are, I think that still might be the worst scene in all of the DCEU.

I am a fan of MoS but for two things.

Pa Kent (and particularly that scene) and the OOT destruction at the end of the movie.

But no, the worst scene in the DCEU is [Suicide Squad]
Amanda Waller going full villain and pointlessly killing her own staff.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Watched WW yesterday, and despite not being totally sold on the third act, I really enjoyed it and I hope it keeps doing amazing numbers as it really deserves them.

Also, one of the trailers shown was The Mummy, and it had the words "Witness the beginning of the Dark Universe" and I couldn't stop laughing.

kswiston

Presales in China for The Mummy are also looking good. I'd say a $75M+ gross there would be on the conservative side of things, but it's hard to be certain with June being such a busy month.

The Mummy could easily end up being one of those $75M domestic, $400M worldwide films. Any news on when reviews hit?

Presales in China for The Mummy are also looking good. I'd say a $75M+ gross there would be on the conservative side of things, but it's hard to be certain with June being such a busy month.

The Mummy could easily end up being one of those $75M domestic, $400M worldwide films. Any news on when reviews hit?
Thursday, I think.

Penguin

Looking around the Twitter-o-sphere folks are saying Thurs, which is odd if already being released in some markets and know screenings are happening

I do feel like we should be coming to the end of Thor, cap and iron Man's story in MCU.

We likely are. Their contracts will only get more expensive with each additional film. RDJ is already crazy expensive.

The Mummy did $6.6M on opening day in Cruiseland aka Korea. A record for that territory.
http://deadline.com/2017/06/the-mummy-tom-cruise-south-korea-1202108458/

Maybe we're underestimating the Cruise Missile? At least in international gross. I can't see the film doing that well domestically.

Looking around the Twitter-o-sphere folks are saying Thurs, which is odd if already being released in some markets and know screenings are happening
Not really, if they don't have much trust on it, they will try and keep a lid on it has far as they can.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I'm not sure how the Mummy will do in the UK but they have been advertising the fuck out of it for months here
every time I've gone to the cinema and theyve played the trailer the people who I've been with have said they think it looks good

kswiston

I can't believe that Universal is waiting for Thursday to get reviews out there for the Mummy.

This is supposed to launch their cinematic universe.

To be fair the DCEU started off with a movie at 55%, and it took them 4 years to rise above that.

Even then I expect The Mummy to get about half that, but even a Cruise underpeformer is substantially higher than most other films.

kswiston

To be fair the DCEU started off with a movie at 55%, and it took them 4 years to rise above that.

Even then I expect The Mummy to get about half that, but even a Cruise underpeformer is substantially higher than most other films.

Batman and Superman are some of the most perpetually popular IPs on the planet.

The 90s/early 00s Mummy films were popular, but no one really cares about any of the Universal monster properties. This isn't a situation where they can coast on fandom while they figure things out.

DeathyBoy

Banned

The 90s/early 00s Mummy films were popular, but no one really cares about any of the Universal monster properties. This isn't a situation where they can coast on fandom while they figure things out.

Has Cruise even hit the chat show circuit yet? That's like 90% of his films marketing.

The Mummy and Tom Cruise is probably the smartest thing they can do to kick off this universe (and quality, but that doesn't seem to be happening with this one).

If only they'd scaled back the budgets, then a moderate success would be sufficient. I've been mentioning Dark Universe to some friends and they look at me like I'm crazy.

Boke1879

The Mummy and Tom Cruise is probably the smartest thing they can do to kick off this universe (and quality, but that doesn't seem to be happening with this one).

If only they'd scaled back the budgets, then a moderate success would be sufficient. I've been mentioning Dark Universe to some friends and they look at me like I'm crazy.

I honestly expect the movie to be good. I'm just not hype to see it and I'm just not seeing any hype here in the states for it period.

Like I feel if I watched this on Netflix I'd enjoy it, but I don't think I'm going to waste any money seeing this in theaters. Hell if anything I'm going to see WW again this weekend.

Maybe we're underestimating the Cruise Missile? At least in international gross. I can't see the film doing that well domestically.

neh, they're appealing HARD to the various Asian audiences with that movie, that much was readily apparent from trailers and all. Not to say that Cruise isn't a legit entertaining actor, but this a Kurtzman & Orci movie. It must die, for justice.

Domestic will probably be a dud (estimated currently at sub-100 total run), but China will probably literally save it. To be fair, this might actually be their first entry into this century running remake, so that's not really their fault. For their sake, they better fucking enjoy it if it's going to be a series.

Who knows, maybe it might actually be enjoyable. Then again, Crowe was also the world's greatest TomTom in Man of Steel (it actually works!), so having him in there doesn't immediately inspire confidence, I'm afraid (he's fantastic in The Nice Guys though).
I mean, it does have some talent in it.... so I can't discount it entirely.

I honestly expect the movie to be good. I'm just not hype to see it and I'm just not seeing any hype here in the states for it period.

Like I feel if I watched this on Netflix I'd enjoy it, but I don't think I'm going to waste any money seeing this in theaters. Hell if anything I'm going to see WW again this weekend.

Honestly the thing that's getting me really excited to see it in theaters is that smooth 1:45 minute runtime. I can't remember the last time I saw a sub-2 hour long action movie in theaters, so hopefully that means if it's at least entertaining it won't overstay its welcome.

Magwik

Banned
Man I can't wait for BvS to be retconned by Barry and Speedforce shenanigans. The TV show has been preparing us for Tom foolery.

Miles X

Is Wonder Woman yet to open anywhere else?

If it has a shot at 250/300 domestic, hoping it can do 300/350 international and go for $600m+!

Top Bottom