• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 06•02-04•17 - Amazon princess crowned box office Queen and saves DCEU

Lima

The Cruise missile can't be stopped. I am legit excited for the movie only because of Tom. Dude is amazing.

zero_suit

It's open worldwide now I'm pretty sure.

EDIT: I lied like a bastard as noted above.

www.viva-press.com/release-dates/wonder-woman-release-dates/

Here's what's left:

Switzerland 7 June 2017 (French speaking region)
France 7 June 2017
Albania 8 June 2017
Greece 8 June 2017
Switzerland 15 June 2017 (German speaking region)
Germany 15 June 2017
Netherlands 15 June 2017
Norway 16 June 2017
Belgium 21 June 2017
Egypt 23 June 2017
Spain 23 June 2017
Japan 25 August 2017

Schlorgan

Not to say that Cruise isn't a legit entertaining actor, but this a Kurtzman & Orci movie. It must die, for justice.
Technically only Kurtzman is involved (as director), and it does has some pretty good writers attached to it; David Koepp (Jurassic Park, Spider-Man, Mission Impossible) and Christopher McQuarrie (MI: Rogue Nation, The Usual Suspects, Edge of Tomorrow)

The writing talent involved is enough for me to not write it off completely.

There was a moment in time where Tom Cruise was *the* Hollywood star. Like you think of what a Hollywood actor is stereotypically supposed to be and you got Tom Cruise.

I wouldn't be surprised if he's still a draw internationally just from that appeal.

Anth0ny

There was a moment in time where Tom Cruise was *the* Hollywood star. Like you think of what a Hollywood actor is stereotypically supposed to be and you got Tom Cruise.

I wouldn't be surprised if he's still a draw internationally just from that appeal.

Right. But that was, what, 16 years ago? More? He hasn't really done shit in the mean time besides jump on Oprah's couch and talk about scientology.

i guess once you reach a certain level in some parts of the world, you're a megastar draw forever.

J_Viper

Technically only Kurtzman is involved (as director), and it does has some pretty good writers attached to it; David Koepp (Jurassic Park, Spider-Man, Mission Impossible) and Christopher McQuarrie (MI: Rogue Nation, The Usual Suspects, Edge of Tomorrow)

The writing talent involved is enough for me to not write it off completely.
>from the writer of Passengers and Prometheus

firelogic

Right. But that was, what, 16 years ago? More? He hasn't really done shit in the mean time besides jump on Oprah's couch and talk about scientology.

i guess once you reach a certain level in some parts of the world, you're a megastar draw forever.

He's done several Mission Impossible movies, Edge of Tomorrow, Oblivion (I liked it), tropic thunder, Collateral.

jett

D-Member

He's likable and makes (mostly) entertaining blockbusters. It's not a mystery.

16 years gives him Minority Report, The Last Samurai, Collateral, MI 3,4 and 5, Jack Reacher, Oblivion, and Edge of Tomorrow.

So, pretty much his entire existence as an action star.

kswiston

www.viva-press.com/release-dates/wonder-woman-release-dates/

Here's what's left:

Switzerland 7 June 2017 (French speaking region)
France 7 June 2017
Albania 8 June 2017
Greece 8 June 2017
Switzerland 15 June 2017 (German speaking region)
Germany 15 June 2017
Netherlands 15 June 2017
Norway 16 June 2017
Belgium 21 June 2017
Egypt 23 June 2017
Spain 23 June 2017
Japan 25 August 2017

I wouldnt expect too much from those. They are maybe 15% of the superhero market combined. Still, that will help with the international drops as China fades away.

16 years gives him Minority Report, The Last Samurai, Collateral, MI 3,4 and 5, Jack Reacher, Oblivion, and Edge of Tomorrow.

So, pretty much his entire existence as an action star.

So this son of a bitch went from dramatic film star to action star as he got older

DAMN YOU TOM CRUISE

ZeoVGM

Banned

wat. He's been the start of one of the longest running action franchises, that has only managed to get better over time, for like 20 years. Not to mention Minority Report, Jack Reacher, Tropic Thunder...

?
Oprah couch jump and Scientology talk were like 16 years ago if anything, he's just had a string of successful actiony roles for awhile now

Wonder Woman ended up doing ok first week in Australia. A little behind Logan but it won't end up too bad. It might just top doctor strange when all is said and done. So not a spectacular performance but it shouldn't hold back its international numbers at all.

Having said that Australia seems to favour DC movies somewhat. For example last year SS actually outgrossed civil war and wasn't that far away from age of ultron type numbers.

Overall marvels films don't seem to perform quite as well in Australia except for the avengers which was huge and we're one of the stronger markets for Thor (Hemsworth effect). I might do a bit more of an in depth comparison when I have some time.

My favorite moment about The Mummy spots I've seen is a scene where he attacks the mummy woman...with a stick.

I saw one ad with Tom Cruise sitting in a chair telling audiences why they should care about The Mummy. It's weird. He's like "I see a female mummy. I'm interested. It's fresh. I want to see that movie!"

Rmagnus

Banned
Mummy have a lot of marketing over here in Singapore. I think I am seeing more marketing for mummy than WW.

WW marketing seems muted here compared to the previous few DC movies, besides a really bad looking statue of her and some stickers at the mrt I don't seem much of it anywhere.

Schlorgan

I saw one ad with Tom Cruise sitting in a chair telling audiences why they should care about The Mummy. It's weird. He's like "I see a female mummy. I'm interested. It's fresh. I want to see that movie!"
I saw one where he was talking about filming the plane crash/zero G scene in the Vomit Comet and I was distracted thinking about how expensive that would have been for such a short sequence.

ZeoVGM

Banned
nJrqVr.gif

Dierce

This 'Dark Universe' has got to be one of the dumbest ideas ever. Some executive probably got $10 million dollars for bringing it up during a meeting. Also WB/DC should sue them for infringing on the name.

DeathyBoy

Banned
This 'Dark Universe' has got to be one of the dumbest ideas ever. Some executive probably got $10 million dollars for bringing it up during a meeting. Also WB/DC should sue them for infringing on the name.

Why would DC sue them?

I mean they gave JLD to GDT - that's like giving someone with a terminal illness a ticket on the first public space trip.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
If Universal had any idea what they were doing, they would've called this the Cruise Cinematic Universe and had a bunch of Tom Cruises team up to run really fast and beat a CGI Scorpion King Rock. These studios are leaving money on the table.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Fine, they can have it then. Wish they hadn't changed the title for the JLD movie.

I wish they'd just call JLD Shadowpact. Far cooler team. And Detective Chimp needs to be on screen already. Show everyone that fucking trash panda ain't shit.

gamz

Please tell me what I should think about this.

It's predictable?

Some of this will depend on whether Wonder Woman's Monday had more spill-over business from Sunday than is typical. If it did, we'll get a lower Tuesday increase, which will affect Wed/Thurs holds.

Just using Rough Numbers for now:

Monday: $11.7M
Tuesday: $14.0M (+20%)
Wednesday: $9.8M (-30%)
Thursday: $9.3M (-5%)

Total as of Thursday = $148.2M

$200M by Sunday will require a $51.8M second weekend, which would be a -49.9% drop. 44% without the Thursday previews.

It will be close, but I don't think a sub 50% drop is necessarily a given.

EDIT: And that's assuming that I am not being too generous with the daily drops above, which might be the case. Wednesday could be down closer to 35% and Thursday 10% for instance.

kswiston

Seems to be 2nd best Tues for a live-action film in June according to Deadline

Yup. But cheap Tuesdays are much stronger now than even 2 years ago, so nothing is really comparable. Historically, Monday was the strongest weekday, but now it is Tuesday by a large margin.

I am going to guess $9.7M for today. My wed drop was probably too high on that post from yesterday as I was just using even drops.

$9.7M would be third for June live action after Jurassic World and Transformers 2.

Schlorgan

I wonder if Wonder Woman's success would get directors like Raimi to take DC seriously enough to work with them.

I just want another Raimi superhero movie.

Maybe Universal can have Darkman be part of the Dark Universe.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Wonder Woman heading to that sub 50% weekend drop and 300M+ domestic overall. So happy.

Penguin

Yup. But cheap Tuesdays are much stronger now than even 2 years ago, so nothing is really comparable. Historically, Monday was the strongest weekday, but now it is Tuesday by a large margin.

I am going to guess $9.7M for today. My wed drop was probably too high on that post from yesterday as I was just using even drops.

$9.7M would be third for June live action after Jurassic World and Transformers 2.

I also wonder... granted super small number of screens is the special promotional Women-Only screenings got more people interested in going yesterday... if nothing else to see what happens (and seemed like non-stories)

DeathyBoy

Banned
I wonder if Wonder Woman's success would get directors like Raimi to take DC seriously enough to work with them.

I just want another Raimi superhero movie.

Maybe Darkman can be part of the Dark Universe.

Raimi on MOS 2.

Defoe as Papa Luthor.

Top Bottom