• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 05•22-24•15 - Disney's house is clean, Tomorrow lands @ #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I reading the numbers on Box Office Mojo's charts right? Is Mad Max being estimated to be #2 overall for the four-day weekend? I'm not the best with numbers...

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Exactly. Batman Begins didn't do that hot either but what it did was revive the brand and opened the doors for The Dark Knight which completely blew up the box office and ended up becoming the third highest grossing film for a time.
TDK had a lead actor who died. I know people like to think these things are convenient excuses, but that kind of thing, especially when it is coupled with a posthumous award consideration, tends to add numbers. Morning TV shows and talkshow hosts and the general press will all talk about the lead actor's death, asking the same damn questions, leading to the general public having a certain awareness of the film.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $95,540,000 43.5%
+ Foreign: $124,300,000 56.5%
= Worldwide: $219,840,000

Mad Max is doing better than PP2? Never expected this. Looks like we'll be getting a sequel defo.

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $95,540,000 43.5%
+ Foreign: $124,300,000 56.5%
= Worldwide: $219,840,000

Mad Max is doing better than PP2? Never expected this. Looks like we'll be getting a sequel defo.
It opened in more territories did it not?
And the issue is it cost a hell of a lot more too.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Look at Batman Begins, wasn't such a box office monster but held really wel and got great reception. They ended up having an insane money making franchise on their hand.
It's really not even worth pretending that Mad Max: Fury Road is at all similar to Batman Begins. Batman was always valuable to Warner Bros, period. That's a piece of intellectual property they make a lot of money off in other areas. So the calculus is entirely different. Even if Batman Begins didn't set the box office on fire alone, it boosts a lot of other areas in which the Batman property is active. There's basically a multiplier effect. Warner Bros has frequently discussed the surge in revenue they get in other sectors simply by having an active Batman or Superman movie series.

Mad Max isn't anywhere close to having that kind of effect, which isn't to say they can't groom it into something bigger or start capitalizing in other areas (see: the Mad Max game). But WB had infinitely more upside on Batman Begins than they'll ever have with Mad Max.

Joni

It opened in more territories did it not?
And the issue is it cost a hell of a lot more too.

I wonder if it is relevant to compare non-action movies with action movies when it comes to worldwide take. Hollywood action movies are easy to sell worldwide. The original did half of its take worldwide, for any decent action movie, the ratio is going to be 1 to 3 or higher.

I wonder if it is relevant to compare non-action movies with action movies when it comes to worldwide take. Hollywood action movies are easy to sell worldwide. The original did half of its take worldwide, for any decent action movie, the ratio is going to be 1 to 3 or higher.

True.

AniHawk

PP2 might have cost $50 mil or so with advertising. Mad Max has to be over $200 mil at least with marketing.

if pacific rim could get a sequel with a more cult fanbase, higher budget, and less positive word of mouth, mad max should be able to do it more easily. fury road is basically a marketing campaign for the next one.

ogbg

The development hell of Mad Max must have added a lot to the production cost. Perhaps this was only a $100M movie that ballooned over time. If this one breaks even, or makes a small profit, I could see the studio green-lighting The Wasteland with stipulations that it delivers on time and on budget.

Yeah. For example, according to John Seale they spent like 3 years in pre-production developing a new 3D camera prototype which they suddenly abandoned.

Anas

Banned
the funny thing that I was hyped of Avengers 2 and I was saying to my friend that the movie will cross the 2 billion and beat Titanic..but Marvel screwed it

as for Tommorowland, prediction saying that is going to be a flop cause the numbers I see right now is a Deja Vu for Jupiter Ascending

and for Mad Max.. is just the beginning to move out Fifty Shades of Grey from the Highest-grossing films of 2015 list.

and what.. Pitch Perfect 2 is doing greater than the first one.. the movie will gross 300 millions that way

vern

I feel like that the strong likelihood that it won't match the haul of Furious 7 is the more intriguing question, especially since you can't play the Paul Walker card for how much it blew up in China.

You can totally pull the Paul walker card for why it is huge in China. Wechat moments (微信朋友圈) were nothing but Paul walker rip images and links for weeks here, girls especially love him. I'm sure weibo was the same but I don't use that much. Not sure why you think his death can't be attributed to the huge haul here.

kswiston

Exactly. Batman Begins didn't do that hot either but what it did was revive the brand and opened the doors for The Dark Knight which completely blew up the box office and ended up becoming the third highest grossing film for a time.

Three Batman films had broken the opening weekend record before Batman Begins, and Burton's first Batman film was the fifth highest grossing film of all time when it was released (Behind Jaws, E.T., and two Star Wars films). It's not like TDK was some major breakthrough in Batman's previously low popularity. It was more of a return to form.

Mad Max was never that big a franchise. Even adjusted for inflation, Fury Road is already the biggest film in the series.

DeathyBoy

Banned
3 Batman films had broken the opening weekend record before Batman Begins, and Burton's first Batman film was the fifth highest grossing film of all time when it was released (Behind Jaws, E.T., and two Star Wars films). It's not like TDK was some major breakthrough in Batman's previously low popularity. It was more of a return to form.

Batman Begins would likely do at least a billion nowadays. Maybe more given it's much shorter than TDK/TDKR, so they could cram a few extra showings in per day. It just came out at a time when anything not named Spider-Man had a cut-off point in terms of how much a comic-book film would gross.

Cheebo

Banned
Never doubt Marvel.
That's what people were saying when they were making super high predictions for Age of Ultron. Remember the thread predicting a 300 mil opening weekend about a week before release? In the Ultron boxoffice prediction thread I don't think there was more than 1 or 2 people who predicted it would do under 500 mil domestic. Hell many said 600 mil+.

Look how well the "never doubt marvel" statement worked there.

duckroll

Batman Begins would likely do at least a billion nowadays. Maybe more given it's much shorter than TDK/TDKR, so they could cram a few extra showings in per day. It just came out at a time when anything not named Spider-Man had a cut-off point in terms of how much a comic-book film would gross.

No 3D though...

kswiston

Schumacher ran the Batman film franchise into the ground. If Begins released now as the first Batman film in 18 years (and after comic films finally blew up overseas), then sure it would have probably done a ton better than $370M.

That's what people were saying when they were making super high predictions for Age of Ultron. Remember the thread predicting a 300 mil opening weekend about a week before release? In the Ultron boxoffice prediction thread I don't think there was more than 1 or 2 people who predicted it would do under 500 mil domestic. He'll many said 600 mil+.

No point in going the complete opposite way though. $450ish million is still the highest grossing film in 3 years, and a top 5 finish in the past 15 years. It's not like audiences completely abandoned the film. I definitely think everyone (including the professional box office trackers) downplayed how much additional business the original Avengers drew from the constant press of its record breaking run. Clearly some of those people didn't feel the need to spend $10 to see the follow up. Repeat business is probably down as well.

We were collectively caught up in the hype, but taking this as a sign that people are sick of Superhero/Marvel films or that future Marvel films will underperform (or even tank) is sort of ridiculous. Of the last 3 Marvel films before Ultron, 2 films overperformed expectations (Cap 2 and Guardians) and one was about on par with expectations (Thor 2). It's probably not a coincidence that the ones that overperformed were the ones that had great word of mouth, while the mixed WOM Thor 2 only got a slight bump over its predecessor domestically. Age of Ultron unfortunately falls more in the Thor 2 camp than it does the Cap 2/Guardians camp.

I think Ant Man will be fine. I don't think it will blow expectations out of the water like Guardians, but I would be surprised if it didn't pull off $140M domestic and $450M worldwide at a minimum. That's basically The Wolverine numbers with China's inflation taken into consideration. Every major superhero film has hit those numbers since the aftermath of the Avengers blowing up.

Ahasverus

I heard the word "ridiculous" thrown around with Ant-Man more than with any other CBM in my theater. Anecdotal evidence I know, but I dunno. I learned not to doubt the Marvel power after they convinced people GoTG was a good film.

Animator

I heard the word "ridiculous" thrown around with Ant-Man more than with any other CBM in my theater. Anecdotal evidence I know, but I dunno. I learned not to doubt the Marvel power after they convinced people GoTG was a good film.

So wait you are saying GotG was a bad film?

I think Tomorrowland will be the first time maybe ever I actively root against the success of film because sheer thematic idiocy.
Really? Go on. I saw it yesterday, and didn't find that much idiocy to want it to actively fail. Then again, I don't care how its box office does since I'm not a shareholder.

Cheebo

Banned
Schumacher ran the Batman film franchise into the ground. If Begins released now as the first Batman film in 18 years (and after comic films finally blew up overseas), then sure it would have probably done a ton better than $370M.

No point in going the complete opposite way though. $450ish million is still the highest grossing film in 3 years, and a top 5 finish in the past 15 years. It's not like audiences completely abandoned the film. I definitely think everyone (including the professional box office trackers) downplayed how much additional business the original Avengers drew from the constant press of its record breaking run. Clearly some of those people didn't feel the need to spend $10 to see the follow up. Repeat business is probably down as well.

We were collectively caught up in the hype, but taking this as a sign that people are sick of Superhero/Marvel films or that future Marvel films will underperform (or even tank) is sort of ridiculous. Of the last 3 Marvel films before Ultron, 2 films overperformed expectations (Cap 2 and Guardians) and one was about on par with expectations (Thor 2). It's probably not a coincidence that the ones that overperformed were the ones that had great word of mouth, while the mixed WOM Thor 2 only got a slight bump over its predecessor domestically. Age of Ultron unfortunately falls more in the Thor 2 camp than it does the Cap 2/Guardians camp.

I think Ant Man will be fine. I don't think it will blow expectations out of the water like Guardians, but I would be surprised if it didn't pull off $140M domestic and $450M worldwide at a minimum. That's basically The Wolverine numbers with China's inflation taken into consideration. Every major superhero film has hit those numbers since the aftermath of the Avengers blowing up.
I agree the take is great. But the never doubt Marvel groupthink was wrong in this case, those few here under-estimating it (hell I said it would do like 530 mil!) turned out right this time.

Vanish

It's not a bad film in the same sense Ace Ventura is not a bad film, but its artistry and, dare to say it, neccessity of existance is completely lost on me.

It's a film most people found very entertaining and funny. Does it need more reason than that for existing?

Ahasverus

It's a film most people found very entertaining and funny. Does it need more reason than that for existing?
The funny card, yeah I know it very well.

I know I'm in a minority, it just baffles me, I've watched the movie 3 times to get caught in the incredible hype, each time I cringe harder (dance battle with space hitler and then power of friendship).

It's a case of "Am I out of touch? No, it's the children that are wrong".

pestul

The funny card, yeah I know it very well.

I know I'm in a minority, it just baffles me, I've watched the movie 3 times to get caught in the incredible hype, each time I cringe harder (dance battle with space hitler and then power of friendship).

It's a case of "Am I out of touch? No, it's the children that are wrong".
And see, this is what could possibly make Ant-Man a success. The character could be something that children end up latching on to, whether adults 'get it' or not. The toy marketing potential alone could be massive.

Ridley327

You can totally pull the Paul walker card for why it is huge in China. Wechat moments (微信朋友圈) were nothing but Paul walker rip images and links for weeks here, girls especially love him. I'm sure weibo was the same but I don't use that much. Not sure why you think his death can't be attributed to the huge haul here.

Not living in China, I am honestly surprised they would even care.

This is a fascinating insight.

Age of Ultron is currently the 8th highest grossing film of all time and will soon leap frog Iron Man 3 as the second highest grossing superhero movie. Impressive by Marvel and Disney. I hope The Force Awakens is a hit for them too.

kswiston

Age of Ultron is currently the 8th highest grossing film of all time and will soon leap frog Iron Man 3 as the highest grossing superhero movie. Impressive by Marvel and Disney. I hope The Force Awakens is a hit for them too.

Avengers already passed Iron Man 3 as of yesterday domestically (it passed IM3's worldwide gross on Saturday or Sunday) but I think you are forgetting about the original Avengers :p

As for the all time lists, it will end up as #5 of all time worldwide, and either #7 or #8 of all time domestic (depending on whether it passes The Dark Knight Rises). At least until Star Wars comes out.

Busty

Banned
Age of Ultron is currently the 8th highest grossing film of all time and will soon leap frog Iron Man 3 as the highest grossing superhero movie. Impressive by Marvel and Disney. I hope The Force Awakens is a hit for them too.

I'm sure Disney wishes* you well in all your future endeavours also.

*And by 'wishes' I do of course mean 'doesn't give a fuck about you short of squeezing as much cash as they can get from you all the while secretly loathing you'.

Blader

That's what people were saying when they were making super high predictions for Age of Ultron. Remember the thread predicting a 300 mil opening weekend about a week before release? In the Ultron boxoffice prediction thread I don't think there was more than 1 or 2 people who predicted it would do under 500 mil domestic. Hell many said 600 mil+.

Never doubt Marvel...to fail!

Avengers already passed Iron Man 3 as of yesterday domestically (it passed IM3's worldwide gross on Saturday or Sunday) but I think you are forgetting about the original Avengers :p

As for the all time lists, it will end up as #5 of all time worldwide, and either #7 or #8 of all time domestic (depending on whether it passes The Dark Knight Rises). At least until Star Wars comes out.

Sorry that was meant to be second biggest. Lol.

I'm sure Disney wishes* you well in all your future endeavours also.

*And by 'wishes' I do of course mean 'doesn't give a fuck about you short of squeezing as much cash as they can get from you all the while secretly loathing you'.

I don't mind if they keep giving me good entertainment. I'm obviously hyped for The Force Awakens and I'm happy to give them money if it's good.

vern

Not living in China, I am honestly surprised they would even care.

Honestly he was huge here. The dude was really handsome and had "exotic" blond hair and blue eyes. He was probably a lot bigger here than in the U.S. I never remembered anyone caring about Paul walker in America before he died, he was a pretty generic movie star.

In China it doesn't really matter how good of an actor you are (for western movies) because most people don't really understand what the person is saying on screen anyway and they are reading subtitles the entire time. So generic average actors that look exceptionally good are often really popular here, not trying to disparage the guy or anything but I think that was what he was in most Americans eyes before he died. His death was a huge part of the draw to fast7 in China.

LosDaddie

Banned
That really puts it into perspective, though. I do not have a problem with people stating AoU's run being a disappointment, because it genuinely hasn't captured the zeitgeist like its predecessor and, in a real shocker, it's likely going to finish under another film that came out a month before. I do have a problem with people framing a film that has gone on to disastrous numbers and overwhelmingly negative public response.

My only concern at this point is if Infinity War will get the budget it needs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom