• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 05•22-24•15 - Disney's house is clean, Tomorrow lands @ #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

MAD MAX needs to get a Kingsman like hold over the next few weeks

Everyone keep evangelizing this fucking awesome movie!!!

It probably will. Kingsman's legs were good, but not that amazing. It just released during a slow period, so it was able to stay in the top 5 for longer than usual. Hell, Interstellar had better legs and we wrote that off as a (domestic) disappointment. If you look at well reviewed films that skew towards an older audience, a 3.5x multiplier is not that uncommon.

ronco2000

What "cultural footprint" are you talking about? I watched it based on all the positive reviews and thought it was meh. I haven't seen the 80s movies so I'm probably missing some back story, but Mad Max didn't really do anything for me.

You must be a boring guy to hang out with!

Alrus

We've banned talk of "fatigue" for films that make A BILLION DOLLARS WORLDWIDE

Like its such a nothing talking point. A movie might only be in the top ten highest grossing movies ever! Where did things go wrong? Do people just hate superhero movies now? Lets talk about this guyz

Huh, really? Did you read my post or just saw "fatigue" in it and immediately decided to quote? I'm saying it might be possible that the genre reached a peak with the original Avengers and that a relatively mild slowdown might happen in the future? Never talked about Avengers 2 doing badly (it obviously didn't).

I must say, one massive revolution Marvel brought to movie talks is corporate fanboyism, before it was mostly relegated to animation studios and that wasn't really a thing after a while.

I think Mad Max will be fine. It will clear $130 in the U.S. alone and world wide seems to be shaping up well. Combine that with a rocky development period that can be resolved for the next film and what will likely be a successful home video release a sequel I think has the potential to turn a better profit.

Decado

It probably will. Kingsman's legs were good, but not that amazing. It just released during a slow period, so it was able to stay in the top 5 for longer than usual. Hell, Interstellar had better legs and we wrote that off as a (domestic) disappointment. If you look at well reviewed films that skew towards an older audience, a 3.5x multiplier is not that uncommon.

Interstellar had amazing legs. It's issue was the opening weekend and high expectations.

Cheebo

Banned
Interstellar did good. For that type of movie doing about 190 mil domestic and about 700 mil worldwide is a great run. It is just Inception kind of put forward impossibly high expectations.

hamchan

Marvel basically paid for itself from Disney acquisition no? That's just from the films too...I'm not even talking about the comics, toys, merchandise, video games ect...

They really turned that brand around - if Star Wars reaches that kind of revenue then it paid for itself.

Yep. $4 billion for Marvel turned out to be a bargain for Disney in 2009 considering the huge growth the brand has had since then.

Nosgotham

I saw tomorrow land yesterday. It was skewed at a way younger audience than I expected from the trailers I saw. It was a big disappointment. Lots of kids and families in the theatre too

xaosslug

Are you telling me the general population has seen every marvel movie and knows what each stone does. Of course both of us are just guessing but I bet if someone stopped some movie goers outside the theater and asked them about Hydra and Shield or these stones they would not have a clue. Going by
the horrible magic pool sequence
marvel does not seem to care either and gives it the appropriate seriousness it deserves.

but you are clearly WRONG as the success of Marvel's movies/universe proves. It's not like this is the 'advent' of comic book movies - there have been valiant efforts for years. Meanwhile, nothing as ridiculously successful as Marvel's synergistic universe. Regardless of how close attention peeps pay to each movie they are obviously aware of the bigger scope each movie has in the universe, and peeps LOVE it.

A lot of people on the internet seem to think everyone other than themselves and like minded individuals are brain-dead idiots.

I mean one would think the success of the MCU speaks for itself.

guek

Banned
The thing about the infinity stones is, at the moment, their overarching lore really doesn't matter, and that's exactly as it should be. Every stone that has appeared has been used as powerful mcguffins and little more. They operate within the confines of their own movies in order to make any kind of sense for casual viewers. The whole point of the infinity stone plot line in the MCU up to now has entirely been for the benefit of the hardcore fan. It's expanded slightly in every movie so hardcore fans can become more invested in each new film. This doesn't matter at all for the average viewer because it shouldn't. It's not for them in the first place. Much like the after credits scenes, they're bonus material for nerds to enjoy. It also has the dual benefit of enticing new fans to delve deeper into the MCU lore. The more invested they become, the more likely they are to see each new installment in order to keep up with the meta-narrative spanning the entire MCU. Criticizing the MCU for the infinity stone plot going over the heads of casual audiences misses the purpose of their inclusion entirely, regardless of whether or not the experiment works for any given individual.

You can bet your ass the stones will be summed up in such a way in Infinity War that seeing every single prior MCU stone appearance will not be a requisite to understanding what they are.

Ridley327

So can we finally be done with the whole "LEARN ABOUT THE MYSTERIOUS THING" marketing tactic yet?

I think it can work, but certainly not in the hands of people with ties to Bad Robot. They've made an artform out of being the real life equivalent of that "it's fucking nothing" gif.

Finaika

People were very excited for this movie, you can tell the excitement diminished greatly after the movie. The real test of the MCU is what comes next, will Ant-Man do IM3 numbers post avengers? Time will tell.

I think Ant-Man will do even better than AoU, because people haven't seen a shrinking superhero on the big screen before.

mcu worldbuilding is so...tired. i'm not a big fan of the approach they've been going with so far. like who cared about that infinity glove dream that thor has, shit just throws you out of the movie and made age of ultron drag longer than it should have. this exposition overload that's been popping up in countless movies recently has gotten a bit grating.

i need that 'throw you into the shit and figure it out' thing that fury road did. such immense detail and nothing needed to be really explained much. I hope suicide squad does something like this considering it's a team of established villains.

hamchan

After Mad Max I don't think I'll be rewatching Age of Ultron again. There really does feel like there was way too much exposition in AoU.

Finaika

After Mad Max I don't think I'll be rewatching Age of Ultron again. There really does feel like there was way too much exposition in AoU.

They're totally different genres.

Mad Max is pure action, while Age of Ultron is drama/comedy.

The Age of Ultron lasted less than a week.

AoU is barely a serviceable movie without any art merit, people didn't like it that much and probably soured the rest of the MCU as people feel now they are being played like a fiddle without a satisfactory reward. Just like Assassins Creed.

That movie was a 2 hours toy and movie commercial, with 20 minutes of actual movie, without super powers.

This is the MovieGAF version of http://amir0x.ytmnd.com/

Dalek

Nothing I love more than MCU hater salt. I drink your milkshake! My daughter has been asking to see it again, so we went spur of the moment tonight-and the 6:40 and 7:20 showings were both sold out.

Glad to see Mad Max didn't drop off too much. I think word of mouth is really helping.

Tommorowland was a big disappointment for me. As the other poster mentioned-it's the embodiment of the "it's fucking nothing" GIF.

Mad Max's budget was 150 million, needs 3-4x that for the studios to be happy no?

It's not going to completely bomb by the looks of it, so maybe they'll just make a sequel based on the insanely positive response to the movie. That may just be me dreaming, though.

I'm guessing it has to hit at least 300 million?

trips

Neo Member
Shockingly just because Neo Gaf hates every movie that is not marvel/disney it doesn't mean that movie will bomb.

I think Ant-Man will do even better than AoU, because people haven't seen a shrinking superhero on the big screen before.

Mad Max is pure action, while Age of Ultron is drama/comedy.
These threads are the funniest things on this website.

Busty

Banned

Yup, I think it's worth noting that WB's own Sherlock Holmes sequel opened with just under $40m but ended up with $186m in the US and $545m worldwide.

Now I'm not saying that MM:FR will absolutely copy that but it's worth baring in mind that, like the Bond films, older audiences tend to go and see films later in their run rather than rush out and check it out ASAP.

Busty

Banned
Do I need to see the original MM movies to understand Fury Road or can I just go in cold and understand everything?

Young man, all you need to understand Fury Road is...,

*takes drag on cigarette*

-- to have lived a life of regret and pain.

*plans Bruce Springsteen record*

jett

D-Member
Yup, I think it's worth noting that WB's own Sherlock Holmes sequel opened with just under $40m but ended up with $186m in the US and $545m worldwide.

Now I'm not saying that MM:FR will absolutely copy that but it's worth baring in mind that, like the Bond films, older audiences tend to go and see films later in their run rather than rush out and check it out ASAP.

This would be a dream. But I just remembered the Sherlock Holmes movies open during the Holidays which have a totally different leg-game.

Speaking of this, where the hell is the third Sherlock Holmes movie?! Say what you will about it, but I always love what Ritchie does with it, action wise. They're fun ass movies

Ridley327

Speaking of this, where the hell is the third Sherlock Holmes movie?! Say what you will about it, but I always love what Ritchie does with it, action wise. They're fun ass moviesm

IIRC, it got caught in that weird spot where the second one did fine, but it wasn't so overly successful where they felt the need to go forward with a sequel right away. Downey confirmed it was still happening last fall, so I imagine that they've just been waiting for Ritchie to finish up with The Man from UNCLE.

T'Zariah

Banned
Are we still trying to downplay AoU's disappointment?

If anything it proves that Marvel can't just rely on the formula forever.

Everyone expected it to be a Box office explosion.

And look how that turned out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom