• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 05•22-24•15 - Disney's house is clean, Tomorrow lands @ #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

WillyFive

Are we still trying to downplay AoU's disappointment?

If anything it proves that Marvel can't just rely on the formula forever.

Everyone expected it to be a Box office explosion.

And look how that turned out.

In which planet did it not become a box office explosion? Is the Martian market that important for today's studios?

dabig2

It turned out to be a box office explosion?

Haha, more or less. I don't think Disney will be too disappointed when all is said and done. Sure they would've loved to build on the profits of the first, but when we're talking 9 digit grosses and a certified spot in the top 3 highest grossing films of the year, I don't know if "disappointment" is really a thing nor would they say that the film didn't end up being a BO explosion.

Should be interesting to see how Ant-Man is perceived and does however. But that's a separate issue from deciding whether Disney should be happy about AoU and whether the movie is a success. Spoiler: yes to both.

mjc

$1.2bil WW as of before the weekend is a disappointment? Got it.

Dai101

Banned

Because all movies nowadays clear 1B at the box office. Sure.

Abounder

Banned
No one has said Ultron is a bomb, but it is a disappointment compared to expectations. Look at professional or forum predictions and it was projected to significantly do better than the first film, even Disney jumped the gun when they overrated Ultron's opener. That said RDJ is still the 3 peat king, just this outing wasn't as fun

Vanish

Are you trolling or serious? Didnt realize making over a billion dollars and getting close to the top 5 with a run thats not even over yet was a massive disappointment nowadays that needs to be downplayed. The lengths some of you guys go to hate on Marvel lol. Sure it didnt make as much as expected but still a massive success

Oersted

It was a surrounding success. What you can point out is that growth has gone. On a insane level, mind you.

cackhyena

It doesn't take me long to find hyperbole of insane degrees on gaf each and every day.

People expected AoU to blow away the first Avengers performance, which it didn't, so it seems like a disappointment. But it's still making insane money, doubt Disney is crying about it.

T'Zariah

Banned
In which planet did it not become a box office explosion? Is the Martian market that important for today's studios?

Was supposed to clear the OW Record. It didn't.

Was supposed to comfortably beat Furious 7. It's crawling its way there.

It's the sequel to the largest Comic book movie of all time and was supposed to get a bump from Marvel going Mainstream. Now it'll be lucky if it MATCHES A1, let alone surpasses it.

Was supposed to be the hypest movie of the year outside of Star Wars. It wasn't.

If Age of Ultron was any other movie, yes, it'd be a success, but relative to what it is and what franchise it is, it's disappointing.

Mario007

People expected AoU to blow away the first Avengers performance, which it didn't, so it seems like a disappointment. But it's still making insane money, doubt Disney is crying about it.
People say the same thing on the gaming side about Activision with CoD and WoW numbers falling. In both cases both sides of the argument are true to a degree. Activision in Gaming and Disney in movies are still making serious cash and command a leading position in their fields. However, the fact that a game or a movie suddenly starts loosing customers as opposed to bringing in new ones is a thing to worry about. Both companies would be incredibly stupid if they simply said "ah well made enough anyway".

Now obviously jumping the gun and calling doom on Marvel is not the way to go. Up until AoU it's all been a success story. But Marvel execs will have to sit down and figure out why is it that the growth has stopped. Was the product not good, is there a general fatigue to their films or has the peaked simply been too high due to the original movie being such a novel idea. These discussions will be important particularly as we're heading into a movie from the studio that seems to have quite low buzz around it and as the competition has finally entered the game with DC and Fox having lots of films coming out in the next few years.

So yeah the film is not a bomb or anything like that but its equally disingenuous to say Disney won't care.

People say the same thing on the gaming side about Activision with CoD and WoW numbers falling. In both cases both sides of the argument are true to a degree. Activision in Gaming and Disney in movies are still making serious cash and command a leading position in their fields. However, the fact that a game or a movie suddenly starts loosing customers as opposed to bringing in new ones is a thing to worry about. Both companies would be incredibly stupid if they simply said "ah well made enough anyway".

Now obviously jumping the gun and calling doom on Marvel is not the way to go. Up until AoU it's all been a success story. But Marvel execs will have to sit down and figure out why is it that the growth has stopped. Was the product not good, is there a general fatigue to their films or has the peaked simply been too high due to the original movie being such a novel idea. These discussions will be important particularly as we're heading into a movie from the studio that seems to have quite low buzz around it and as the competition has finally entered the game with DC and Fox having lots of films coming out in the next few years.

So yeah the film is not a bomb or anything like that but its equally disingenuous to say Disney won't care.
I personally think it's the formula of being kid and family friendly. Outside of a few story moments to connect to the MCU, Feige just needs to be extremely hands off with the directors and let their own styles shine through.

mreddie

>>Ultron is overrated
>>Mad Max is overrated

tumblr_mx0mmqhtBp1somw7ho1_500.gif

Oh GAF, you never cease to amaze me. I'll be seeing Tomorrowland today so I can see if it's meh film or a decent film.

Dalek

It's the sequel to the largest Comic book movie of all time and was supposed to get a bump from Marvel going Mainstream. Now it'll be lucky if it MATCHES A1, let alone surpasses it.

Was supposed to be the hypest movie of the year outside of Star Wars. It wasn't.

If Age of Ultron was any other movie, yes, it'd be a success, but relative to what it is and what franchise it is, it's disappointing.

Are you from The Bizarro World?

guek

Banned

Disappointing is relative. Underperforming is not the same thing as failing, and any rhetoric that tries to paint it as such will rightfully be ignored. Not sure if that's what you were trying to do but it came off that way.

I saw these here and in the Mad Max OTs saying while they liked it, they think we hyped it up too much. Again, Welcome to NEOGaf.

There's a difference between "It was great, but the hype was beyond the atmosphere--nothing could live up to that"

and "This movie sucked, you all overhyped it."

Most people are in the former category.

Abounder

Banned
However, the fact that a game or a movie suddenly starts loosing customers as opposed to bringing in new ones is a thing to worry about. Both companies would be incredibly stupid if they simply said "ah well made enough anyway".
---

Ultron should have included Chris Pratt and the Guardians for even more $$$; to me it makes no sense not to include them after their success and the "connected universe" concept.

I personally think it's the formula of being kid and family friendly. Outside of a few story moments to connect to the MCU, Feige just needs to be extremely hands off with the directors and let their own styles shine through.

I don't think MCU's formula will change, it will be even more of the same especially with a young Spider-Man. But the MCU could kill off Captain America to make things interesting since he's easily replaceable.

ninjabat

I think mad max will finish on top of pitch perfect next weekend. This is where word of mouth will show its true power.

guek

Banned
Ultron should have included Chris Pratt and the Guardians for even more $$$; to me it makes no sense not to include them after their success and the "connected universe" concept.

I don't think MCU's formula will change, it will be even more of the same especially with a young Spider-Man. But the MCU could kill off Captain America to make things interesting since he's easily replaceable.
Unsurprisingly, I have a lot of faith in Marvel's ambitions. They don't always hit the mark but I think they recognize that. I expect phase 3 to feel very different now that the core trilogies are almost out of the way.

pestul

I think mad max will finish on top of pitch perfect next weekend. This is where word of mouth will show its true power.
I think you're right. If the weekend actuals are right, it looks like only a 30% drop, which is excellent. The deeper it goes, the more competition will spring up. If it can consistently stay in the top 5 like Kingsmen did, they will keep it on screens at least.

duckroll

That doesn't make any sense. Why would the success of GotG matter? You know that filming for Age of Ultron wrapped two weeks after GotG opened right?

dramatis

The general populace doesn't follow the news quite that closely. It's not a problem, but it leads to statements like that.

If it was any other movie :lol

If it was any other movie the exeuctive producers of that movie would be laughing all the way to the bank. The hate is strong.

The problem with Tomorrowland was the trailers and marketing. It was confusing and told you nothing. Every time the movie comes up around family and friends, the reaction is not excitement or disdain, but bewilderment. "What is it about?" They certainly aren't going to pay to find out.

As for Mad Max, I think it's doing okay, personally. I thought the trailers were pretty bad, actually, looked goofy and over-the-top, so I am surprised it has taken off like it has. Success is 99% word-of-mouth driven, I think. I haven't seen it so I can't comment on the film. I generally despise post-apocalyptic stuff, so I passed.

Toxi

Banned
The problem with Tomorrowland was the trailers and marketing. It was confusing and told you nothing. Every time the movie comes up around family and friends, the reaction is not excitement or disdain, but bewilderment. "What is it about?" They certainly aren't going to pay to find out.
I got a pretty good idea from the trailers: There are these pins that transport you into a virtual version of a techno utopia created by the world's geniuses. George Clooney used to live in that city, but left for some reason and is being pursued by the city's police force. Now he's trying to get Robertson back into the city.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I got a pretty good idea from the trailers: There are these pins that transport you into a virtual version of a techno utopia created by the world's geniuses. George Clooney used to live in that city, but left for some reason and is being pursued by the city's police force. Now he's trying to get Robertson back into the city.

I'm sure Joes Six-Pack and Plumber are fully apprised of this nuance.

Cheebo

Banned
Glad to see that Ultron is making the haters upset about its success.
It would be factually incorrect to say it's box office intake is not a disappointment. It is under Disneys own expectations for it.

It can still be a big earner and still dissapoint. It made a ton of money and is highly profitable but there is no way to ignore that it did less than industry expectations for it.

It would be factually incorrect to say it's box office intake is not a disappointment. It is under Disneys own expectations for it.

It can still be a big earner and still dissapoint. It made a ton of money and is highly profitable but there is no way to ignore that it did less than industry expectations for it.

Got a link? I'm interested to see what they originally expected.

Edit. Damn beaten.

AoU was obviously a big fucking hit financially for Disney, but I do wonder internally what the folks at Disney and Marvel think about it coming short of the first movie's haul. Granted the first one set a pretty high bar but is there anything to take from AoU's box office performance? Superhero/formula fatigue? Or are people getting even a tiny bit bored with the IronMan, Thor, Cap, Hulk core? It could work out perfectly for them since it seems like they were preparing to move on with a whole new cast of heroes for Phase 3 anyway.

Dalek

Deadline's opening weekend early numbers. They stated Disney was predicting the opening weekend record to go down. Clearly Disney over-estimated .

No I want to see a link to disneys expectations that you keep hanging this argument on. Not "industry experts".

Christopher

AoU was obviously a big fucking hit financially for Disney, but I do wonder internally what the folks at Disney and Marvel think about it coming short of the first movie's haul. Granted the first one set a pretty high bar but is there anything to take from AoU's box office performance? Superhero/formula fatigue? Or are people getting even a tiny bit bored with the IronMan, Thor, Cap, Hulk core? It could work out perfectly for them since it seems like they were preparing to move on with a whole new cast of heroes for Phase 3 anyway.

Same thought I had the next rotation will be fresh and new

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom