• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 08•08-10•14 - green is the new black, cowabunga dude!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The apes and gotg numbers put a smile on my face because that just means they get to go even more all out for their inevitable sequels. My body is ready.

Cheebo

Banned
The apes and gotg numbers put a smile on my face because that just means they get to go even more all out for their inevitable sequels. My body is ready.
Apes made roughly the same as the last one with double the budget. Fox had to have been expecting better. I expect the next one to have a smaller budget.

Is Turtles worth seeing? I thought the previews looked pretty good.

Before seeing it, I would have told you to run, but after seeing it, I'll say give it a chance if you like TMNT. I can't promise you'll like it, but might be interesting for a fan to see a new interpretation of this franchise.

Kickz

Why are people celebrating the Turtles???

The was a horrible movie and fuck Michael Bay for making people have to watch Megan Fox pretend to be an actress. He could've atleast done us a favor and made her a deaf character.

kswiston

Apes made roughly the same as the last one with double the budget. Fox had to have been expecting better. I expect the next one to have a smaller budget.

Apes is still doing decent business overseas, and has yet to launch in either Japan or China. The last movie did $30M in each of those territories, so expect Apes to easily pass $600M. Maybe $650M+

WOW at the Purge numbers =O

In one month it sold like 7 times it's budget o_O

Those Purge movies just print money.
And it's pretty damn good this time around as a Punisher/Escape from NY/Warriors movie with some social commentary.
tumblr_n9qosmc6pc1ttsd1vo1_500.gif

giphy.gif

ibna2ryfGhdyAs.jpg

Also, Omar.
tumblr_inline_n9hunqqDLl1r38x99.gif

kswiston

Guardians will be lucky to be in the low 20s next weekend. All of the other $90M+ openers had third weekends in the $12-17M range, except for Cap 2 whose gross was inflated by at least $4M due to Good Friday.

Turtles have such a lead this weekend that even a 65% drop next week will put them in a competitive spot to top Guardians.

And all of this assumes that The Expendables 3, Let's Be Cops, and the Giver all debut below $25M.

Sanjuro

Sarcasm? This movie reeks of corporate agenda. There isnt even a hint of indie on it. Movie is made to sell toys and fill a nostalgic void

A bit. The original film was the highest grossing independent film for years and the comic book was one of the most influential independent comic books off all time.

You are right about these comic book films being a part of a corporate agenda.

Berto

When was the last time we had two awesome blockbusters like Planet of the Apes and Guardians of the Galaxy at the same time in cinemas? Damn.

pestul

Maybe number wise but being top again is probable. Historically it has happened many times

Turtles might get bad WoM, but I don't think it will cause a >70% drop.. pretty good chance TMNT is on top again next weekend I think. Or at least it will be close with a new opener..

One of the best parts about all this. Some people wanting films to purposefully 'bomb' rather than it just not find an audience is disgusting, if you don't like a film don't go and see it.

Amen.

This pervausive sentiment is why I rarely post on the Gaming Side.

Replace the word "film" in your post with "game/console/developer/publisher" and it is the same thing.

Sanjuro

Turtles might get bad WoM, but I don't think it will cause a >70% drop.. pretty good chance TMNT is on top again next weekend I think. Or at least it will be close with a new opener..

I think the word of mouth has been relatively good. I've been surprised by the people I know who have gone to see it and who actually enjoyed it. Including many who are sick of the "shitty superhero" films.

Yeah, no. This is over simplifying the concern perhaps. Look for the deeper meaning. When people suggest they want a movie to bomb, it is because, ironically, they feel that as an audience there isnt enough to cater to them because of a saturation if safe and run of the mill screenplays. So in essence, you are making the very same claim they are.

You can still cater to an audience without choking the creativity out of cinema which is arguably why the industry is struggling.

I have no interest in a derail but how do you know that the reasons people wish for failure on the Gaming Side aren't for the reasons you just listed?

Replace "screenplays" with "game genres" or whatever. It's the same thing, imo.

If that is basis for their subjective opinion of what is or isn't great, does that make it more noble, iyo?

Sanjuro

Oof! to sell toys of all 6 characters in the gotg universe? This is not a well known and established franchise and its not going to break the bank on toys and comic books. The books will get a little boost but not bring it to A tier by any means. I am hoping the second movie can expand on this tbh.

You're admitting the purpose of the product, yet downplaying it for what reason now?

Guardians is a fantastic film, but GotG and TMNT are a lot closer to the same end of the spectrum than people here seem comfortable admitting.

If people want EA to die, i have always interpreted that as a stance against their process whether from a business or creative standpoint. When people shit on the nth sequel, it can be interpreted as a statement to deliver something fresh. I am applying the same concept to both per your framing of your sentence.

How is that any different than what I said? In both film and games, you have a group people wishing failure on things they subjectively don't like, even when said thing has an audience.

TMNT has an audience. Transformers, which I hate as a film series, has an audience. Actively wishing for them to fail because you (I don't mean you but you get it) don't like them, to me, is bleh.

Sanjuro

I reduced what to tier? Being vague and ending with a self indulgant sarcastic remark isnt making your point or question clear.

GotG is not going to skyrocket comic book sales. I don't think it was intended to

You do realize comic book sales are probably the farthest thing from any of these studio's mindset, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom