• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 08•08-10•14 - green is the new black, cowabunga dude!

Status
Not open for further replies.

markatisu

Didn't Dawn outdo Rise at the BO?

Dawn $200m US/$509m WW
Rise $176m US/$481m WW

Rise had a smaller budget though so in the end I think it will make more, but I think the fact the sequel did the same business is good news for the franchise.

It will also help merchandising since NECA is pushing two lines currently of PoTA toys

kswiston

Dawn $200m US/$509m WW
Rise $176m US/$481m WW

Rise had a smaller budget though so in the end I think it will make more, but I think the fact the sequel did the same business is good news for the franchise.

It will also help merchandising since NECA is pushing two lines currently of PoTA toys

Dawn still has China and Japan to open in. Those two will likely add another 80m minimum.

Dawn still has China and Japan to open in. Those two will likely add another 80m minimum.

Yeah, I was speaking more to the fact the budget (and marketing) was higher, but the money coming in was the same. FOX was hoping for more money than they got, I think.

Whereas both Guardians & Turtles overperformed, and are still doing so. So people are going to focus on that as a bigger "win" when it comes to discussing the summer as a whole.

Don't get me wrong - Apes making 200mil domestic is good. I like that there's a solid audience for that series. I just don't see Apes being part of the main narrative about the Summer beyond "The Apes movie did well, too" and that's it.

The big stories will likely be:

Nobody had any legs
Michael Bay finally stumbled a little
Guardian & Turtles were big wins

Lesser stories:

Why can't anyone fucking sell "Edge of Tomorrow" correctly
X-Men returned to prominence

kswiston

Guardians, 14 days in, has already beaten Spider-mans domestic take.

Guardians is going to be the top Superhero film of the year domestically. It will pass Days of Future Past before next weekend and Cap 2 in the next 15 days.

This was the last weekend of the summer with a decent chance of a new $25M opener.

El Topo

Nobody had any legs

Lesser stories:

Why can't anyone fucking sell "Edge of Tomorrow" correctly

I'd add Grand Budapest making $170m to the lesser stories. That's by far Wes Anderson's most successful film. I'm also keen to see how much Lucy brings in worldwide.

Alebrije

Just left to say :

uh7cu.gif

I'd add Grand Budapest making $170m to the lesser stories. That's by far Wes Anderson's most successful film. I'm also keen to see how much Lucy brings in worldwide.

Great call on both counts. Grand Budapest has been taking up prime space in Portland's second run/art house theaters since its release, and the number of screenings hasn't dropped, either. It's maybe the only decent example of anything having legs this year - although it's a quiet, scaled-down example.

Neoxon

Got a free viewing of TMNT thanks to a friend of mine.

I tried to like it given how much I like the Turtles, but the Turtles themselves were the only redeeming quality of the movie. At the very least, both it & Guardians are doing well financially. And GotG may end up passing Transformers domestically.

BOM

Weekend Projections
1. Ninja Turtles - $26 million
2. Guardians - $24 million
3. Let's Be Cops - $17 million
4. Expendables 3 - $16 million
5. The Giver - $12 million

kswiston

I tried to like it given how much I like the Turtles, but the Turtles themselves were the only redeeming quality of the movie. At the very least, both it & Guardians are doing well financially. And GotG may end up passing Transformers domestically.

GotG has a 100 percent chance of passing Age of Extinction domestically.

jett

D-Member
There's some sort of poetic justice in an R-rated movie beating a PG-13'd Expendables.

Yes, there's the leak and all that, but still... :p

The leak is going to be the scapegoat, no doubt, but we're also pretty far beyond at time where the argument that piracy hurts success has too many teeth left, too.

Basically - if the prospect of the movie had really excited anyone, they still would have gone. And if it had been good, those who DID steal it probably would have turned up at the box-office.

The leak is going to get blamed, but I'm pretty confident even if the film HADN'T been leaked, it wouuld have been similar numbers. People are tired of Stallone's chest-thumping geriatric badass bullshit.

How bad was Megan Fox in it? Is it not bad enough that I may be able to ignore her?

Neoxon

GotG has a 100 percent chance of passing Age of Extinction domestically.
Hopefully that's the case. Foreign is another story, though. Transformers already has China by the balls, so it may be difficult.

How bad was Megan Fox in it? Is it not bad enough that I may be able to ignore her?
I'm one of those people who has been self-trained in the art of tuning out Megan Fox. It wasn't that hard for me to do so here, so you may be fine.

G-Fex

The leak is going to be the scapegoat, no doubt, but we're also pretty far beyond at time where the argument that piracy hurts success has too many teeth left, too.

Basically - if the prospect of the movie had really excited anyone, they still would have gone. And if it had been good, those who DID steal it probably would have turned up at the box-office.

The leak is going to get blamed, but I'm pretty confident even if the film HADN'T been leaked, it wouuld have been similar numbers. People are tired of Stallone's chest-thumping geriatric badass bullshit.

About time.

Hopefully that's the case. Foreign is another story, though. Transformers already has China by the balls, so it may be difficult.

China pandering worked!

Gee I wonder where the next movie will take place.

jett

D-Member

Agreed. Look at X-Men Origins. A workprint leaked a month before the release and it was still a success.

Despite the "story" falling into place around her character, you don't need to really remember much of what she is saying.

I'm one of those people who has been self-trained in the art of tuning out Megan Fox. It wasn't that hard for me to do so here, so may be fine.

Might give it a shot then. Discount Tuesday, here I come.

Neoxon

But yeah, I will give TMNT points for the personalities of the Turtles. It was enough for me to look past their overly-busy, gigantic designs.

Granted, I got in free, but it's the kind of movie you see at discount after you've had your fill of the other good movies that are out. Which reminds me, my local Studio Movie Grill may have another showing of Apes (& I'm starving). Even if it's not there, I can just go see Guardians, again.

jett

D-Member

You can't ignore the first 20 minutes, which are entirely about Megan Fox's character.

She is, you know, her usual self. Charmless, no charisma, no personality, dead inside. She will make her usual doe-eyed expression at the camera every now and then. If you go in knowing she is the main character of the movie and that everything plot-wise revolves around her maybe you'll have a better time than I did.

Neoxon

You can't ignore the first 20 minutes, which are entirely about Megan Fox's character.

She is, you know, her usual self. Charmless, no charisma, no personality, dead inside. She will make her usual doe-eyed expression at the camera every now and then. If you go in knowing she is the main character of the movie and that everything plot-wise revolves around her maybe you'll have a better time than I did.
I had an easier time tuning her out than you seemed to.

Agreed. Look at X-Men Origins. A workprint leaked a month before the release and it was still a success.

Yeah, this is a great example. And the Wolverine leak was a much bigger deal back then, too. The Expendables 3 leak was sort of a "huh. poor old guys got their movie yoinked" and even people who were reporting on it seemed to be doing so with a tenor closer to "Why couldn't a good movie have gotten stolen?"

That's a bigger problem for the movie than the movie actually BEING stolen, I think.

jett

D-Member
I had an easier time tuning her out than you seemed to.

Well, if *cough*someone*cough* hadn't insisted that Megan Fox wasn't the main character of the movie I would've gone in with different expectations.

Actually, if I had known that beforehand, I probably wouldn't have watched the movie at all tbh.

Yeah, this is a great example. And the Wolverine leak was a much bigger deal back then, too. The Expendables 3 leak was sort of a "huh. poor old guys got their movie yoinked" and even people who were reporting on it seemed to be doing so with a tenor closer to "Why couldn't a good movie have gotten stolen?"

That's a bigger problem for the movie than the movie actually BEING stolen, I think.

Yeah EX3 doesn't seem to have generated any sort of traction or hype, leak or no leak.

G-Fex

But yeah, I will give TMNT points for the personalities of the Turtles. It was enough for me to look past their overly-busy, gigantic designs.

Granted, I got in free, but it's the kind of movie you see at discount after you've had your fill of the other good movie that are out. Which reminds me, my local Studio Movie Grill may have another showing of Apes (& I'm starving). Even if it's not there, I can just go see Guardians, again.

Well, if *cough*someone*cough* hadn't insisted that Megan Fox wasn't the main character of the movie I would've gone in with different expectations.

you fly boys crack me up.

G-Fex

I did try to like the movie, I really did. I'm just hoping that Apes is still at my theater. I recall it being there yesterday. TMNT is a bad movie, simple as that.

you didn't try hard enough.

You failed me Neoxon. I KNOW WHAT SIDE YOURE ON.

image.php
<------------------------ That side!

Perhaps I could just arrive 20 minutes late? lol. Might as well give it a chance.

Neoxon

you didn't try hard enough.

You failed me Neoxon. I KNOW WHAT SIDE YOURE ON.

image.php
<------------------------ That side!
I truly did, you can't even imagine how many tapes my folks had of the 80's Turtles. From there I found the comics, & the rest was history. I did find a redeeming quality in the Turtles themselves, but that was it.

And is it wrong that I like good movies, & appreciate good actors (as an actor myself, albeit in training)?

Alrus

Nobody had any legs

Lesser stories:

I don't people will look at Age of Exctinction and see it as a stumble though. Still crossed a billion worldwide despite the drop in popularity domestically, still made boatloads of money. That'd be like calling The Hobbit movies stumbles (which people, who are probably insane, did).

X-men is a big story because it outgrossed every other X-men movies by a huuuge margin, and it's most likely going to be the highest grossing superhero movie of the year worldwide. If Fox doesn't fuck up Apocalypse, it's going to be even bigger too.

I don't people will look at Age of Exctinction and see it as a stumble though. Still crossed a billion worldwide despite the drop in popularity domestically, still made boatloads of money. That'd be like calling The Hobbit movies stumbles (which people, who are probably insane, did).

but that's probably why I think it's going to be called a stumble: you specifically mentioned the drop in domestic numbers - and the Hobbit movies are also considered stumbles when compared to the Lord of the Rings movies that preceded them. Both those factors are actually part of the reason I think Age of Extinction is going to be seen as an indicator that Bay doing his Bay thing might be starting to wind down a little.

G-Fex

You can enjoy junk food while admitting that it's junk, you know.

I truly did, you can't even imagine how many tapes my folks had of the 80's Turtles. From there I found the comics, & the rest was history. I did find a redeeming quality in the Turtles themselves, but that was it.

And is it wrong that I like good movies, & appreciate good actors (as an actor myself, albeit in training)?

STOP NOT LIKING THE THINGS I LIKE ;-;

no but really a lot of people didn't like it and I understand. I myself don't really find it as junk , I enjoyed it, my fanatical friend who was excited for it enjoyed it.

I'm content in that I guess, I knew it wasn't really this big revolution in movie characters.

I'd have seen guardians if I wasn't broke. Oh well.

kswiston

The best example of piracy not affecting movie grosses (if the film is something audiences want) is probably the first Taken movie. The film came out in Europe like a year before the US release. I'm pretty sure it was already on DVD (and therefore ripped onto the net in great quality) like 3-4 months before the local release.

Despite that, the film made close to $150M domestic.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
I'm guilty as charged; thoroughly enjoyed The Expendables films however the third iteration, which I watched online *shameful*, was terrible. I ain't going to see it at the movies - I'm sorry Lionsgate. I'll buy an Imax ticket for Mockingjay Part 1 though :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom