• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 08•08-10•14 - green is the new black, cowabunga dude!

Status
Not open for further replies.

G-Fex

I'm now officially scared of Marvel taking over the world. This is the worse case of fanboyism i seen in a long long time.

It's already too late, they've already taken over. This is a marvel board now. You can't set foot without tripping over a Marvel thread. And they're in legion too, can't escape any of them. :p

I haven't seen a end of the world so grim since SMT: Nocturne.

Donatello has cancer, you insensitive fuck.

Sanjuro you just revoked your TMNT2 OT privilages.

CREMSteve

Just got back from Guardians of the Galaxy, took my wife and three kids to it for my son's 3rd birthday. Great flick, all enjoyed it.

evil ways

Who would've been stupid enough to predict TMNT as a bomb. I mean, a popular cartoon show with toys that have been consistently flying off shelves even before the movie hit, it was a no brainer.

Some folks perhaps confused the hardcore fanbase's backlash & the movie's quality with the overall franchise popularity. I went to see it in a room where the only grown ups were my wife and I and a few parents, and the next showing had a line just as big.

JDdelphin

Just got back from Guardians of the Galaxy, took my wife and three kids to it for my son's 3rd birthday. Great flick, all enjoyed it.

Quick question- did it hold the interest of your three year old?

Conversely- it wasn't tooooooo violent or nasty for same?

(I'm thinking about taking mine)

He'd refuse the new ninja turtles, he hates the "ugly monster turtles" (though he absolutely adores both the classic and new Nickelodeon ones) Guardians might be the thing for family fun movie time

G-Fex

Quick question- did it hold the interest of your three year old?

Conversely- it wasn't tooooooo violent or nasty for same?

(I'm thinking about taking mine)

He'd refuse the new ninja turtles, he hates the "ugly monster turtles" (though he absolutely adores both the classic and new Nickelodeon ones) Guardians might be the thing for family fun movie time

Exactly why they don't get to go to the surface world.

SMH you folks.

Frog-fu

Banned
Films I've seen this summer

Captain America: The Winter Soldier
X-Men: Days of Future's Past
22 Jump Street
Guardians of the Galaxy
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

All fucking excellent, and yet this summer box office is supposedly disappointing?

kswiston

I have only seen Days of Future Past and Edge of Tomorrow this summer. I might get to go to Guardians of the Galaxy. We'll see. Theatre patronage takes a pretty big hit when you have a 6 month old.

Kart94

Banned
so far i had seen Godzilla, Age of Extinction, and Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. I might go see Guardians next week i can resist the urge to see Sly and Arnold go at it for one last time in Expendables 3.

Godzilla was an absolute borefest, Age of Extinction become the only Transformers film i actually kind of liked, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes was a great movie. Guardians seems great. I don't think there is a Marvel movie i have disliked yet. *though the ones i watched was Iron Man 1 and 3, Avengers, Thor 2 which was kind of fun, and Winter Solider*

Crocodile

The common thread - major female roles.

I think audiences are getting a little wearied of the idea of grown-up little boys movies. They're not about to completley wad them up and toss them over their shoulder anytime soon. But if given the option, maybe they'll go the other way.

I'm having a hard time seeing how that would be responsible for putting seats into theater for GotG and Turtles (especially Turtles). I haven't seen those two movies (been meaning to get around to seeing GotG though) but you thought Gamora was a big draw? Frankly I've heard a lot of people weren't happy with her portrayal. Am I listening to the wrong people? Also was Megan Fox somehow super awesome and had a big part in the Turtles movie?

Talking more on the subject of Turtles, I've always been a big fan of the IP but I've never been one to pay for things I thought were crap (or give Bay money) and the Turtles movie just looked straight up bad to me. More Turtle movies is a good thing but not if they are per Micheal Bay's vision. Glad for those who did enjoy the movie though (though RT suggests there aren't many?)

jett

D-Member
I am calling it:

GotG wins next weekend with $35MM-$40MM

Sarcasm? This movie reeks of corporate agenda. There isnt even a hint of indie on it. Movie is made to sell toys and fill a nostalgic void

Doubtful. GotG will probably drop another 50%. Turtles would have to drop near 70% for that to happen.

G-Fex

Yeah. There is some thread in the gaming community thread that you apparently need to follow to create threads without issue.

The fuck? Really? What thread?

I'm calling dibs on the fucking Doom OT cause that's how I roll.

Also the new Ninja Turtles movie is not anything like what Bay's Transformers, they're worlds apart.

TF4 was long and..just didn't end soon enough.

I'm having a hard time seeing how that would be responsible for putting seats into theater for GotG and Turtles (especially Turtles). I haven't seen those two movies (been meaning to get around to seeing GotG though) but you thought Gamora was a big draw? Frankly I've heard a lot of people weren't happy with her portrayal. Am I listening to the wrong people? Also was Megan Fox somehow super awesome and had a big part in the Turtles movie?

I didn't say the women in Guardians or Turtles were the main draw for their respective audiences - but it's hard to ignore Gamora wasn't a decent part of the advertising (maybe not the merchandising, unfortunately), and that Megan Fox wasn't the central character of the Turtles movies in its advertising. If there's a person in that movie who can be classified as "the lead," it's her.

Again - they probably didn't sell tickets on their own - but their presence and prominence in the marketing probably helped make those films a little more palatable for the audiences choosing to attend them, as opposed to some of this summer's alternatives.

Basically, neither movie is female-focused, but they can be perceived as being female-FRIENDLY, and that's why I noted the common thread with those successes seems to be major female roles in their spectacle. You can probably add Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique as well.

Films I've seen this summer

Captain America: The Winter Soldier
X-Men: Days of Future's Past
22 Jump Street
Guardians of the Galaxy
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

All fucking excellent, and yet this summer box office is supposedly disappointing?

Well, you didn't technically see this one this summer.

:p

kswiston

Basically, neither movie is female-focused, but they can be perceived as being female-FRIENDLY, and that's why I noted the common thread with those successes seems to be major female roles in their spectacle. You can probably add Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique as well.

Female Audience for Guardians was 44% on opening weekend. The first time one of the Marvel movies broke 40% female. I think Thor 2 and Cap 2 were 38%

Turtles had a 39% female share. I'm not sure why, but Into the Storm's audience was actually 58% female.

Although to be fair, with Guardians, it might be less that Gamora was put front and center in the advertising, and more that Marvel's branding has, over time, earned some trust with female audiences that they aren't going to be treated like shit when they sit down to watch the movie.

jett

D-Member
Female Audience for Guardians was 44% on opening weekend. The first time one of the Marvel movies broke 40% female. I think Thor 2 and Cap 2 were 38%

Turtles had a 39% female share. I'm not sure why, but Into the Storm's audience was actually 58% female.

It also skewed really old. I guess old women are desperate to see anything that isn't a boy-oriented comic book movie.

All the ads I saw for it positioned Lori er, Sarah Wayne Callies as the lead in the film so perhaps it was marketed to women moreso than men?

<shrugs>

Crocodile

I didn't say the women in Guardians or Turtles were the main draw for their respective audiences - but it's hard to ignore Gamora wasn't a decent part of the advertising (maybe not the merchandising, unfortunately), and that Megan Fox wasn't the central character of the Turtles movies in its advertising. If there's a person in that movie who can be classified as "the lead," it's her.

Again - they probably didn't sell tickets on their own - but their presence and prominence in the marketing probably helped make those films a little more palatable for the audiences choosing to attend them, as opposed to some of this summer's alternatives.

It might be a function of whatever TV ads were showing where I live versus where you live but Fox was barely in any of them (nor in any of the posters I can recall) . The major focus was always the Turtles. Fox had a much larger presence in the marketing for the Transformer films she was in but I don't recall anybody arguing she was a real hook for the female audience back then (maybe I missed it?).

I dunno, I feel like I have a hard time explicitly connecting Gamora and Megan Fox to high interest amongst women for those movies. I fully admit to be unsure how to construct an experiment/study to test alternate hypotheses though.

I agree with you in regard to Mystique/Jennifer Lawrence though but she has been making a name for herself as Mystique and in other movie series (*cough Hunger Games cough*)

Although to be fair, with Guardians, it might be less that Gamora was put front and center in the advertising, and more that Marvel's branding has, over time, earned some trust with female audiences that they aren't going to be treated like shit when they sit down to watch the movie.

This I can agree with. Black Widow, and some of the secondary characters in Iron Man/Thor/Captain America like Pepper, I think did a LOT of good with that audience and I think as long as Marvel avoids major missteps they'll get the benefit of doubt from that audience.

DarkFlow

Banned

My Gf was pretty hyped for it and she normal doesn't give a shit. Like she liked TWS but only went to see it because I wanted too.

Who would have predicted Guardians of the Galaxy to do this well? Oh that&#8217;s right, I did! :D

Glad it&#8217;s doing so well. The movie is just such a crowd pleaser and it deserves the success.

Fox had a much larger presence in the marketing for the Transformer films she was in

No she didn't. I don't remember it that way at all. What little presence she had in the marketing for that movie was her ass and solely her ass. Every now and again she'd look up at something.

I dunno, I feel like I have a hard time explicitly connecting Gamora and Megan Fox to high interest amongst women for those movies.

I just said that there's a throughline, not that the level of importance is the same for all of them, or that the draw was solely (or exclusively) their presence. Again - I feel like they might have added a bit of reassurance that women won't be left out of these otherwise male-skewing properties, and further, they will likely contribute in a significant way, and that might have helped attract a wider audience base.

I don't know that it's so outlandish or weird a suggestion, honestly.

kswiston

By this point, Guardians is gaining such a substantial lead over Cap 2 on the weekdays, that I think it is safe to say that it is locked to take the #1 spot of 2014 until Mockingjay reclaims that honour in late November.

Guardians of the Galaxy should break (or at least come very close to) $220M after this weekend, putting it $20M ahead of Cap. This is the last week with a strong release lineup until late Sept, so I don't see any reason why Guardians can't hit $275M+

Given the Wednesday number for Lets be Cops (and the tracking of the other openers), it is looking probable that the Turtles will claim a second weekend victory. TMNT may end up around $175M depending on how it holds this weekend.

kswiston

Friday Studio Estimates:

1) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - $7.9M - $97M total
2) Guardians of the Galaxy - $7.0M - $205M total
3) The Expendables 3 - $5.9M
4) Let's be Cops - $5.6M - $14M
5) The Giver - $4.7M
6) Into The Storm - $2.3M - $26M total
7) The 100 Foot Journey - $2.1M - $19M total
8) Lucy - $1.8M - $104M total

xx) Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 515k - $200M total

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 515k - $200M total
Dpmy7ih.gif
Guardians and Turtles are gonna be seen as "saving" the summer, aren't they.
UGWian0.gif

I don't think anyone's really talking about Apes at all, though. And if they are, they're discussing how it might have relatively underperformed.

markatisu

I don't think anyone's really talking about Apes at all, though. And if they are, they're discussing how it might have relatively underperformed.

Not sure in what world it underperformed, might be best to consult how Rise did. I mean it did not have the increase that say Marvel sequels have had, but for a franchise that is well over 40 years old at this point I highly doubt Fox is disappointed,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom