• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft: Cataclysm |OT| of Who the hell is Deathwing, anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
mikespit1200 said:
How are the goblin starting levels? Thinking about making another mage.
yeah... goblin was my first thing also... but currently conflicted.. was going to do a hunter, but my most recent main was a mage... so not quite sure if I care enough to do another rDPS right off the bat.... so thinking maybe rogue. I haven't played a healer in a couple of years actually (pre-WotLK) so a priest is high up there also. I already haev a 60s shaman and a 60s warlock, so it just doesn't make sense to shelve those for a goblin... so basically either a rogue or priest..

Awesome launch! I went to Uldum as soon as my Mining skill would allow and spent an hour farming for materials before I went to work. Sold it all on the AH for 15000 gold.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
mikespit1200 said:
You get a fucking racecar to drive around the starting area.

And then you collect bling to become a hooker at a goblin party.

After that you run over pirates with your car.

It is the absolute shit.

Magnus

SiegfriedFM said:
Awesome launch! I went to Uldum as soon as my Mining skill would allow and spent an hour farming for materials before I went to work. Sold it all on the AH for 15000 gold.

G'damn! Impressive.

webrunner

Halycon said:
You get a fucking racecar to drive around the starting area.

And then you collect bling to become a hooker at a goblin party.

After that you run over pirates with your car.

It is the absolute shit.

GTA
Goblin Tinker Auto

Magnus

Definitely looking forward to trying out the starter Goblin areas. Too bad I have no desire to actually have a short, ugly green character past those twelve levels.

Man, what's the appeal to walking around as a green, wise-cracking turd?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Magnus said:
Definitely looking forward to trying out the starter Goblin areas. Too bad I have no desire to actually have a short, ugly green character past those twelve levels.

Best Deals Anywhere.

Twig

Banned
Magnus said:

What's the appeal to walking around as a furry?

webrunner

Magnus said:

What's the appeal to walking around as a self-centered diva?
What's the appeal to walking around as a space goat?
What's the appeal to walking around as a regular old human?
What's the appeal to walking around as a tree-hugger?
What's the appeal to walking around as a tiny baby man?
What's the appeal to walking around as a drunk shorty?
What's the appeal to walking around as a giant-toothed freak?
What's the appeal to walking around as a slack-jawed green-skinned savage?
What's the appeal to walking around as a giant cow?
What's the appeal to walking around as a rotting corpse?

Hari Seldon

So I thought I read a while ago that Blizzard was going to patch the game such that all dungeon quests would be available inside or around the dungeon somewhere, with no pre-reqs and shit. Did they do this? And is it for all dungeons or just the new ones?

Magnus

webrunner said:

I have answers to most of those. Do you have an answer to my question? :)

I can't personally stand any of the short races; gear just looks fucked and warped on them, or worse yet, is so small you don't really notice its nuances. I want to see my gear. I'm a human, for the record. I like the default look of gear before it gets warped to different sizes for the other races.

Draenei and Tauren just look immense and imposing. Night Elves and Blood Elves exotic and graceful.

Worgen vastly outclass Goblins on appearance as far as I'm concerned; big win for the Alliance. :D

webrunner

Hari Seldon said:
So I thought I read a while ago that Blizzard was going to patch the game such that all dungeon quests would be available inside or around the dungeon somewhere, with no pre-reqs and shit. Did they do this? And is it for all dungeons or just the new ones?

I think all the classic dungeons and all the new dungeons, not outland or wrath, should have a questgiver right inside the instance now?

Twig

Banned
webrunner said:
you watch your fucking mouth heathen

Magnus said:
Worgen vastly outclass Goblins on appearance as far as I'm concerned; big win for the Alliance. :D
So you admit to being a furry. That's cool. Not my cup of tea, but to each their own.

derFeef

Magnus said:
Dunno, Goblins look really cool to me and I am not a fan of fur(rys). But thats wow - the power of choice.

Magnus

Twig said:
you watch your fucking mouth heathen

So you admit to being a furry. That's cool. Not my cup of tea, but to each their own.

Haha, yeah, that's fair. I'm just shit-stirring. Can't stand most of the races, and for some, only dig either the male or female version (love night elf females and blood elf males; the opposite look terrible to me).

I'm used to not having remotely the same opinion on races/appearances on WoW characters with practically anyone though, haha.

iammeiam

mikespit1200 said:

As someone on one of the channels put it, The first goblin starter area is Azeroth's very own Jersey Shore. Awesome.

Magnus

Where's the current accurate class combo possibilities chart? I've found two, and both actually have inaccuracies.

Wondering about dwarf mages and goblin shaman in particular.

Sealda

Banned
Next time if you want something on day one, how about get yourself to a Best Buy or whatever and buy it. How hard can it be to understand that if you order online you might not get it on day 1...Its simple math...

Hari Seldon

webrunner said:
I think all the classic dungeons and all the new dungeons, not outland or wrath, should have a questgiver right inside the instance now?

Ah that is nice at least. I was hoping for the Wrath ones so I could guilt free drop my old quests since I did zero Wrath dungeons. But time to move on I think haha.

ultron87

I really wish they would at least take the time to add Questgivers to the BC and Wrath dungeons. It isn't like it would be that terribly difficult.

Without that, rolling into Outland is going to even more jarring for new people.

Yaweee

ultron87 said:
I really wish they would at least take the time to add Questgivers to the BC and Wrath dungeons. It isn't like it would be that terribly difficult.

Without that, rolling into Outland is going to even more jarring for new people.

I agree. That was a huge, simple change that drastically improved the quality of old-world dungeons. Man Outland seriously sucks so fucking much, and, realizing that, Blizzard decides to essentially force people there sooner than they used to, just so they have to stay there longer. What douches.

borghe

Sealda said:
Next time if you want something on day one, how about get yourself to a Best Buy or whatever and buy it. How hard can it be to understand that if you order online you might not get it on day 1...Its simple math...
ummm.. how hard can it be to understand that when a company GUARANTEES release date shipping, they'll do everything in their power to give you release date shipping. As edited, it is indeed out for delivery. if it were not out for delivery, I would have received some sort of compensation. if it were "I really hope I get it on release date" you may have a point. But when Amazon or Gamestop offer you release date shipping (and subsequently pay the shipper for next day air service), it's not at all "lol.. what did you expect!! haha dumbass". that's why there are guarantees all over the place.

as for why I didn't go to the store:

a) my gamestop closest to me wasn't taking pre-orders for the CE. First come first serve only. If I wasn't getting the CE I would have just done the DD upgrade.
b) I have Amazon Prime so release date shipping was "free".
c) When I get home from work tonight my Cata CE will be waiting for me all ready to install the key.

With all of that being said, even if my Gamestop was doing pre-orders for the CE, I still would have done Amazon. Save $4 in sales tax, no extra trip to the store, and if I happened to not get it on release date, probably another $10 GC from Amazon as a result.

Dmorr07 said:
I haven't been following much about Cataclysm but I think i'm going to start back up this Friday after finals. How long are the new starting areas level-wise? In BC the Blood Elves got up into the high teens with that lower part of the zone but from what i've read the new areas only go up to level 10? Most of the vanilla zones were redone too so going back and leveling up a new character isn't going to be the same right?
starting areas are all the same.. new Azshara is directly opposed to Northern Barrens.. so around 12 for all starting areas before things start to merge. Think belfs are the only ones who actually get their very own mid-teens area (well, technically forsaken do as well, though you can go to both as other horde races if you REALLY want to)

Repgnar

I haven't been following much about Cataclysm but I think i'm going to start back up this Friday after finals. How long are the new starting areas level-wise? In BC the Blood Elves got up into the high teens with that lower part of the zone but from what i've read the new areas only go up to level 10? Most of the vanilla zones were redone too so going back and leveling up a new character isn't going to be the same right?

Twig

Banned
Magnus said:
Haha, yeah, that's fair. I'm just shit-stirring. Can't stand most of the races, and for some, only dig either the male or female version (love night elf females and blood elf males; the opposite look terrible to me).

I'm used to not having remotely the same opinion on races/appearances on WoW characters with practically anyone though, haha.
Awww, me too. <3

Dresden

Magnus said:

Don't worry dude, I'm rolling a worgen, we can be furriez together~

Even if you never plan to play a goblin or worgen, you simply MUST play the starting experiences. 4 hours each of some of the best WoW gameplay ever.

Could be a good idea to wait until the initial rush wears off though, it's probably crazy in there now.

Yaweee

Dmorr07 said:

The map at MMO champion says that Gilneas and the Lost Isles end at level 12, dumping in to Darkshore and Azshara immediately after. (the reason for those two particular zones is that Worgen move in to Darnassus, and Goblins get a district in Orgrimmar while setting up many towns and outposts in Azshara).

EVERY Vanilla zones has changes, some more than other (except Silithus).

At the very least, the zones have more of a WOTLK-style progressions, with many new and smaller quest hubs with flight paths scattered across the map and some kind of clear progression across the zone. Some have drastic terrain changes, some have 100% revised quests. All of the original 1-6 starter areas have been revised with new intro voiceover to advance the racial plot. EPL has 5 or 6 flightpaths now, Silverpine has 3 or 4, etc.

Among the redone zones that are considered the best:
Silverpine (the sequel to Arthas' death, with a huge quest chain involving Sylvanas
Hillsbrad (what happens to a zone after the Forsaken wipe out out the alliance)
Western Plaguelands (now a lot more green!)
Eastern Plageulands (really interesting where they went, and all of the annoying chasms are now flooded and bridged)
Searing Gorge (the quest progression is generally way better)
Blasted Lands (Southern mountains have been blown away and a forest has been regrown)
Thousand Needles (flooded, and you get your own boat or something)
Ashenvale (Alliance and Horde in all-out war)
Azshara (completely terraformed, now with a Goblin Rocket Highway)
Darkshore (torn the fuck apart)
Southern Barrans (full war between the two factions)
Stonetalon (a bunch of good quests)
Un'Goro (revised enough to be really enjoyable)

Also, most of the Old World instances have all of the quest givers sitting right inside the dungeon entrance, so the LFD tool actually works. Some instances have been heavily revised, others have just had a lot of trash removed. Stockades, Shadowfang, and Deadmines are all "sequels" to what happened before Levelranges have been revised so former end-game dungeons are now leveling dungeons (Scholo is ~40, as is Deadmines. Strath is low 50s, only BRS is ~60).

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
EVERY Vanilla zones has changes, some more than other.
Dustwallow March says hello.

Yaweee

Yoshichan said:
Dustwallow March says hello.

Okay, fine, the zones that were drastically remade or created sometime after WoW's release to be on-par with later expansions weren't revised for the second time.

And there still are SOME changes, so I don't know what you're going on about. More roads in to and out of the zone, and a more developed road through the middle to make traversing it less of a pain-in-the-ass, and a giant bridge connecting Theramore to the rest of the zone.

JWong

Banned
So my Collector's Edition actually arrived yesterday morning...

No one was around to open the door for the mailman... totally didn't expect it that early.

webrunner

I thought that some zones (like Winterspring and Dustwallow) were given significant questing overhauls.

If you want unmodified zones look at Deadwind Pass and Silithus.

Yaweee

webrunner said:
I thought that some zones (like Winterspring and Dustwallow) were given significant questing overhauls.

Technically, Dustwallow was redone after Burning Crusade but before Wrath, as it was a rather lacking zone for both factions in Vanilla. The re-tooled was among the best zones pre-4.0.3a, though.

Deadwind Pass isn't much of a real zone, so that gets a pass (pun intended)

Silithus was essentially added quite a bit after Vanilla's release. At the time, it was much better than the other end-game zones, but now it is just rather shitty. They really should have added more flight paths. It's good for leveling mining, and that is about it.

borghe

webrunner said:
as I understand, a DWP change is forthcoming. Sil Blizzard has all but said is useless. Sil actually goes through phases. Useless, retooled to get people there, becomes useless again, will probably be retooled to get people there. If they didn't already have the "free" investment there for real estate, my guess is they would just wipe it from the game. really is worst zone in the game by far.

Winterspring is full of new quests but the geography is unchanged except for the bridge leading into Darkwhisper, which is now part of Hyjal.

Yaweee

borghe said:
as I understand, a DWP change is forthcoming. Sil Blizzard has all but said is useless. Sil actually goes through phases. Useless, retooled to get people there, becomes useless again, will probably be retooled to get people there. If they didn't already have the "free" investment there for real estate, my guess is they would just wipe it from the game. really is worst zone in the game by far.

Fortunately, it is same level range as Blasted Lands, which is completely awesome and gives pooploads of quest exp.

Dina

Yaweee said:
I agree. That was a huge, simple change that drastically improved the quality of old-world dungeons. Man Outland seriously sucks so fucking much, and, realizing that, Blizzard decides to essentially force people there sooner than they used to, just so they have to stay there longer. What douches.

HFP + Nagrand are easily smooth and very easy to level in. Those two zones always carries me from 58 to 68, with a bit of Netherstorm in the mix. Guess you'll need to include Netherstorm in your new leveling path, but that's not a bad zone either. Very well paces, I'd say.

Northrend has nothing on HFP+Nagrand. Nothing.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Yaweee said:
Okay, fine, the zones that were drastically remade or created sometime after WoW's release to be on-par with later expansions weren't revised for the second time.

And there still are SOME changes, so I don't know what you're going on about. More roads in to and out of the zone, and a more developed road through the middle to make traversing it less of a pain-in-the-ass, and a giant bridge connecting Theramore to the rest of the zone.
No, there were NO changes in Dustwallow March except for ONE quest that leads to Thousand Needles. So what YOU on about? I'm talking from a horde perspective here.

Twig

Banned
Dina said:
HFP + Nagrand are easily smooth and very easy to level in. Those two zones always carries me from 58 to 68, with a bit of Netherstorm in the mix. Guess you'll need to include Netherstorm in your new leveling path, but that's not a bad zone either. Very well paces, I'd say.

Northrend has nothing on HFP+Nagrand. Nothing.
Indeed, Outlands is nowhere near "seriously suck[ing] so fucking much". It's actually pretty great! As long as you aren't driven off by the general theme of the world. I know some people are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom