• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft: Cataclysm |OT| of Who the hell is Deathwing, anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Raide said:
Titan Bar and Recount as a starter, Deadly Boss Mods if you are going raiding. With so many patches currently, some of these add-ons get outdated really quickly, so bare that in mind.

Titan Bar is still around? I just made the change from FuBar to Bazooka, I love it.

Kthreev said:
I also made that change, Bazooka is very nice. Too bad FuBar is broken though, loved that mod.

Yeah, FuBar hadn't been updated in forever and it was causing a few problems. I couldn't re-adjust the bars. I've found a lot more useful Bazooka add-ons as well. They're like what FuBar had but better, more expanded.

Kthreev

Entropia said:
Titan Bar is still around? I just made the change from FuBar to Bazooka, I love it.
I also made that change, Bazooka is very nice. Too bad FuBar is broken though, loved that mod.

Entropia

No One Remembers
JWong said:
Why? The only problem with it is that there is no unified metric.

It doesn't denote skill or anything. So many times you'll see "6k gs DPS LFG ICC!" When you get them in there, they'll do a fraction of the DPS that they should.

Sure it lets you know that they're "geared", but that doesn't prove anything. I could wear all Enhancement gear in my Ele set and have a high gearscore and that's the only number some pug leaders care about which is absolutely absurd.

I'm glad Blizzard put in their own version of Gearscore, but I doubt that anyone will use it.

JWong

Banned
Entropia said:
It doesn't denote skill or anything. So many times you'll see "6k gs DPS LFG ICC!" When you get them in there, they'll do a fraction of the DPS that they should.

Sure it lets you know that they're "geared", but that doesn't prove anything. I could wear all Enhancement gear in my Ele set and have a high gearscore and that's the only number some pug leaders care about which is absolutely absurd.

I'm glad Blizzard put in their own version of Gearscore, but I doubt that anyone will use it.
It does denote skill more than you think, and all the raids require gear checks. Don't think you can go into ICC 25 in quest greens and blues and think you'll be effective.

If a skilled player has bad gear, then they should know better and run heroics.
If a bad player has good gear... well they are few and far between. Getting gear means you're getting better at your class. Only a few will manage to be carried through heroics and still suck.

Gearscore, or individually checking gear, is the most objective way of figuring out a player's skill.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
One of my favorite WoW pastimes when I was actively playing in 2008-2009 was to keep trying very very common names over and over again, until I managed to find one that wasn't taken. It took a LOT of time, but I nabbed some good ones. This is made all the more amazing considering I play on a launch server. Several years' worth of camped names.

Anyway, I've been the proud owner of Day, Book, North, Subtle, and a few other strong names for a few years now. I never had much cause to use them. With the revamped old world, I think I'll finally dust a couple off and level them up. :D

word up

Neo Member
JWong said:
If a bad player has good gear... well they are few and far between. Getting gear means you're getting better at your class. Only a few will manage to be carried through heroics and still suck.

I strongly disagree with that statement! Wow is a very easy game if you aren't chasing hardmode world firsts, and it's even easier to get carried by some friends.

The main problem with Gearscore is the numerous players running those pug raids or in charge of guild recruitment that use it as the ONLY yardstick to measure ability when it is a hoplessly inadequate and simplified metric. I guess that's why they like it so much!

Can't wait to get one of these babies:

FnFYE.jpg

wia1m.jpg

Spookie

JWong said:
Gearscore, or individually checking gear, is the most objective way of figuring out a player's skill.

Ugh, no.

I could make a list, which would crash word, of the people I've met with a GS over a 6k+ who would have to whistle to know which end of shit out of in the morning.

word up said:
The main problem with Gearscore is the numerous players running those pug raids or in charge of guild recruitment that use it as the ONLY yardstick to measure ability when it is a hoplessly inadequate and simplified metric. I guess that's why they like it so much!

See the above, if your guild is using GS as a method of vetting new member it should be disbanded and your guild leader lashed with a whip.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
AceBandage said:
Can't wait to get one of these babies:

http://i.imgur.com/FnFYE.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/wia1m.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]wtf? is that a mount or a hunter pet?

[QUOTE=GDJustin]One of my favorite WoW pastimes when I was actively playing in 2008-2009 was to keep trying very very common names over and over again, until I managed to find one that wasn't taken. It took a LOT of time, but I nabbed some good ones. This is made all the more amazing considering I play on a launch server. Several years' worth of camped names.

Anyway, I've been the proud owner of Day, Book, North, Subtle, and a few other strong names for a few years now. I never had much cause to use them. With the revamped old world, I think I'll finally dust a couple off and level them up. :D[/QUOTE]
name parkers annoy me. i wish blizz would auto delete characters below level 10 that haven't been played for over a year.

and uh.... what makes those names you mentioned "strong"?

Scrow said:
wtf? is that a mount or a hunter pet?

name parkers annoy me. i wish blizz would auto delete characters below level 10 that haven't been played for over a year.

and uh.... what makes those names you mentioned "strong"?

That's the Horde Guild mount for getting Guild Level 25.
Alliance get a lame ass lion.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
JWong said:
It does denote skill more than you think, and all the raids require gear checks. Don't think you can go into ICC 25 in quest greens and blues and think you'll be effective.

If a skilled player has bad gear, then they should know better and run heroics.

You have had better luck than I have. We literally had a person in our guild when we had problem with attendence that could wipe the raid 2-3 times in a night have some of the best gear in the guild. We were doing hard mode ToC 25 and this person was suckin ass in their Heroic Ulduar gear.

Gearscore.means.nothing. End of story, it's just a way for the kids to assign themselves rank like Call of Duty and tell their friends how much "better" they are. Gear has never meant anything and it most likely never will.

notworksafe

Scrow said:
If a name is in use but not on the armory you can petition a GM to make it open for the taking. I think the restrictions are a character under level 10 and has to have not been played in a long time (not sure of the exact amount of time).

Also I think the Alliance Lion looks cool (the white bit turns into your guild tabard).

TheYanger

Someone's quality of gear is a fair way to assess them if you don't know them from adam (IE: two people I know nothing about, one has better gear, I'll take that one). But gearSCORE is entirely too easy to game to rely upon. You need to actually look at their gear and make sure it's something useful, gemmed, enchanted, etc.

The comment about 'good players in bad gear' is ridiculous though. Every guild I've been in is more than happy to bring along alts in terrible gear from guildmates and stuff, because we KNOW they're better, in AWFUL gear, than your average pugger no matter how good they are. I absolutely guarantee you that it's more important that a player handle mechanics correctly than what their gear is.

border

For anyone that cares, the Collector's Edition is up for sale at regular price on EBGames.

http://www.ebgames.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=83977&loc=pccarousel

Order with overnight shipping and you can get it on release day. It still seems crappy that there isn't any way to get digital delivery and get the CE.

Reluctant-Hero said:
You're shitting me! The original CE is worth $600?!

I've had a copy since day one and would be "complete" with exception of the redeemed pet on my account and the CD-ROM install discs, I loaned them to a college buddy and never got them back.

The original WoW Collector's Edition isn't worth anywhere near $600 unless it's sealed with the pets and perks intact. You would be lucky to get $100-$120 on Ebay if the account has already been used. There are some insane asking prices on Amazon, but those are just asking prices. Hit up eBay to see what people are actually paying.

The Burning Crusade and WotLK Collector's Editions you probably couldn't even sell for $80, even if sealed. Blizzard made a billion of them. I suspect the same will be true for Cataclysm.....especially since more have all of a sudden magically appeared in stock at places like Amazon and EB.

ACE 1991

Played around a bunch these past few days, and while I can definitely see myself getting back into WoW it's just not how I think I want to spend my free time anymore.

So annoying. My Amazon collectors is set to one day shipping with an ETA of Dec. 9th. I preordered it way back before it even had a release date. I've tried switching it to release date shipping for weeks now but no options ever pop up. So annoying. I was going to resubscribe to WoW today but I guess I'll hold off.

I've had so many problems with Amazon recently I may end up canceling my Prime after this year.

Edit: And I tried looking up some guild leveling info but still have a question. If my friends and I play in our own guild is it pretty useless for us? WoWWiki says a raid / pvp has to be 75% guild members for it to qualify but we're lucky if 4-5 of us are online at a time.

ACE 1991 said:
Played around a bunch these past few days, and while I can definitely see myself getting back into WoW it's just not how I think I want to spend my free time anymore.

Aye. Far too time consuming.

I was talking to a former Guild Member the other day, that I became good friends with through WoW. We both commented about how much weight we had both lost since stop playing WoW :lol

Former Guild Member has went back to WoW and within a month had put 14lbs back on. :lol :lol :lol

nataku

VGChampion said:
So annoying. My Amazon collectors is set to one day shipping with an ETA of Dec. 9th. I preordered it way back before it even had a release date. I've tried switching it to release date shipping for weeks now but no options ever pop up. So annoying. I was going to resubscribe to WoW today but I guess I'll hold off.

I've had so many problems with Amazon recently I may end up canceling my Prime after this year.

Same here, though mine mine says December 10th.

ACE 1991

Chriswok said:

I was talking to a former Guild Member the other day, that I became good friends with through WoW. We both commented about how much weight we had both lost since stop playing WoW :lol

Former Guild Member has went back to WoW and within a month had put 14lbs back on. :lol :lol :lol

:lol

Honestly coming back is very enticing, I love what Blizzard has done with the game. I wish I was in high school again.

ACE 1991 said:
:lol

Honestly coming back is very enticing, I love what Blizzard has done with the game. I wish I was in high school again.

I think that's it. If I had no other responsibilities I'd probably return. The only people I know who play this now out of my mates, are the ones who haven't had a job, or actively looked for one, in the last 6 years.

epmode

Hm, my CE gives an Amazon Prime ETA of December 10th as well. Pretty shitty, especially since the regular edition is day-one delivery.

I figure that it's just a glitch with the site.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Chriswok said:

I never understood this. I tend to lose weight when I'm playing WoW

Cause I'm too engrossed in the game to bother to get up and eat :lol

Narag

Zerokku said:

I think I lost like 20 lbs when I played FFXI back in the day. Crazy stuff.

Zerokku said:

I think we went the opposite way, we stopped all other activities and couldn't be bothered to eat correctly, so were binging on shit food all the time. :lol

Carm

Trojita said:
Anyone have a list of recommended Mods to use? I'm going to start playing again for the first time in four years.

I'm not sure whether I want to play a hunter again or play another class.

Deadly Boss Mods
Omen Threat Mod
Tidyplates/Threatplates(more so for tanks but still useful as dps)
Quartz
OmniCC
Domino's action bars
Elkano's Buff/Debuff bars
NPC Scan/NPC Scan Overlay (if you like hunting for rare mobs)
ErrorFilter (removes red text that pops up in the middle of your screen)
Tiptac tooltip mod
X-Perl Unit Frames
SexyMap
Onebag3 (makes the bags appear to be one big bag)

Turn In (http://www.wowinterface.com/find.php)
This one accepts/completes quests from npcs with one click. So if you actually want to read the text or whatever don't use this one. It's nice when your leveling your 10th alt and have done all the quests.

One rarely mentioned is MoveAnything. Self explanatory, very handy mod, I use it to hide my mini map during raiding.

I use to use a mod called Chat toggle that would hide chat during combat but it hasn't been updated and I haven't found a replacement yet.

Here is my current UI, not perfect by any means but pretty clean during raiding, with the minimap hidden. I don't know how some people play with flight sim style huds, obstructs the view.
UI1.jpg

epmode

I use the default UI and I love it. Nuts to you guys. I used to use a few UI mods but Blizzard has already integrated the most useful bits from those.

The only mods I roll with are Baggins (autosorts items into categories) and something that gives coordinates to the map screen. Oh and sometimes NPCScan.

TheYanger

epmode said:
I use the default UI and I love it. Nuts to you guys. I used to use a few UI mods but Blizzard has already integrated the most useful bits from those.

The only mods I roll with are Baggins (autosorts items into categories) and something that gives coordinates to the map screen. Oh and sometimes NPCScan.

While that's admirable, and probably sufficient if you're not raiding or pvping very heavily, it's completely objective to say that any player will be a better player with a proper UI :p

Alex

What I like best about modern WoW, with how it's set up, is that it doesn't even have to be time consuming, you can do everything in bursts, quests flow close together, there's remote match making for basically everything you'd need it for, travel is quick, all professions and gathering had their time sinks removed and it's just fast and fun and comfortable. I certainly don't play this like I did UO or DAoC back in the day with big binges.

Even on the super, duper hard shit like heroic raids, with the way the combat system has evolved into more of a polished ARPG it's based far more around player skill rather than just dumping huge swaths of time into over-extended encounters.

As someone who suffered through a share oldschool MMO end game folies, Firefighter Mimiron was my "wow, this genre has sure come a long way" moment for that kind of design... That thing was tuned so well, it was pure player skill and action mechanics. Although I did quit right after it because I ran out of time to play video games at all for a spell. :lol

I dunno for me, when I sub to WoW and can schedule my time and play with friends, I actually spend less money and less time on games, all that interests me anymore, personally is PC and PSP, so that's for the best anyway.

If you've got a personality that will just chain you to this, then yeah, I would def avoid it or anything like it. People with addictive personalities shouldn't play persistent world games at all. One of our friends who used to play with us, great guy but total slob honestly, even when he didnt have shit to do in FFXI or WoW with us would just idle around pissing time.

VGChampion said:

Edit: And I tried looking up some guild leveling info but still have a question. If my friends and I play in our own guild is it pretty useless for us? WoWWiki says a raid / pvp has to be 75% guild members for it to qualify but we're lucky if 4-5 of us are online at a time.

I just checked mine, says the 9th as well. I'm going to be pissed if I don't get it on the 7th.

JWong

Banned
LAUGHTREY said:
You have had better luck than I have. We literally had a person in our guild when we had problem with attendence that could wipe the raid 2-3 times in a night have some of the best gear in the guild. We were doing hard mode ToC 25 and this person was suckin ass in their Heroic Ulduar gear.

Gearscore.means.nothing. End of story, it's just a way for the kids to assign themselves rank like Call of Duty and tell their friends how much "better" they are. Gear has never meant anything and it most likely never will.
And that person out of how many? Can that person carry a Kingslayer title? Or even any 25 hard modes?

So, yeah, Heroic ToC 25 requires ToC 25 or ICC gear. Ulduar gear is worth nothing for ToC, that's your problem there. As for the others, 6k gear score pretty much means you killed Lich King, because you would have to have 264 in almost every slot to get 6k gs. You can't kill the Lich King carrying one guy. Several fights before the Lich King requires every person to be on the ball. So I pretty much call bull on saying someone with 6k gs still sucks at the game.

Raide

JWong said:
And that person out of how many? Can that person carry a Kingslayer title? Or even any 25 hard modes?

So, yeah, Heroic ToC 25 requires ToC 25 or ICC gear. Ulduar gear is worth nothing for ToC, that's your problem there. As for the others, 6k gear score pretty much means you killed Lich King, because you would have to have 264 in almost every slot to get 6k gs. You can't kill the Lich King carrying one guy. Several fights before the Lich King requires every person to be on the ball. So I pretty much call bull on saying someone with 6k gs still sucks at the game.

Gear does not equal skill.

Sure, once you hit end content raiding you need gear and skill. The problem is that Blizzard kept and keeps nerfing bosses because people that don't raid much cry that they cannot get any gear or that the fights are too time consuming.

I know plenty of people with 6k GS that still don't know their own class correctly, mainly because Blizzard are throwing gear all over the place.

When it comes to raiding guilds, if 1 person is not pulling their weight, I doubt they would be raiding much. There is always someone else that wants to gear up and wants to put the effort in to get there.

KJTB

I kind of wish I had another week or two before cataclysm came out...

The druid alt I've been leveling and intend on making my main is only lvl 67 :(

Can't decide what class I'm going to roll for goblin, argh. Stuck between warrior, shaman, and hunter...

Won

I really hope my CE arrives on the 7th, or I'm gonna chop some trees or something! Got a bad feeling with all the snow out there. :(

LAUGHTREY said:

I'm sorry but this is total bullshit and you are using flawed logic. Just because someone can suck in good gear doesn't mean that gear means nothing. If there are 2 equally geared people, one in good gear and one in bad gear then the person with better gear will perform better. It's that simple.

Spruchy

AdventureRacing said:
I'm sorry but this is total bullshit and you are using flawed logic. Just because someone can suck in good gear doesn't mean that gear means nothing. If there are 2 equally geared people, one in good gear and one in bad gear then the person with better gear will perform better. It's that simple.
Wwwwwwwwrong.

Dresden

So Blizzard sent a 7-day trial thing, which meant I had to reactivate my account just to see the changes. :lol

Not a single person I actually want to talk to still plays, which was depressing... I guess I'm starting over. Now to figure out which faction I want. I think I'll make a shaman this time; I've played paladins and mages my whole time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom