• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft: Cataclysm |OT| of Who the hell is Deathwing, anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Re: leveling - Blizz's philosophy is that they want the amount of time played it takes players to get from 1 to max level to always remain the same.

So for ever new expac that comes out, leveling will continue to get faster and faster as the EXP tables are re-adjusted.

Maybe they won't follow this pattern forever (by level 100 players might be flying through levels stupid-fast) but that is their 1-84 tuning philosophy for now, at least. 1-60 in Vanilla takes the same amount of hours played as 1-85 in Cata.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
webrunner said:
Also when you do this, remember Outland was heralded as a revelation, a godsend, of quest and area design.

Outland used to be by far the best thing in the game.

Yeah i find it amusing that everyone hates outland now. Back when it came out it was hands-down the best questing areas in the game. I don't even dread going there (in comparison to most people) as i still enjoy exploring the locales and quests. And you can pretty much dungeon-find your way to level 68 or 70.

New WoW is clearly superior to vanilla WoW, about the only misstep I am finding is how damn quick the pacing is now. Blizzard is rushing everyone to the endgame raiding content at lightspeeds that it is almost impossible to appreciate much of the experience. Hitting new levels 5-6 years ago was something to relish, it happened almost too sluggishly, but the stat adjustment was noticeable and you had opportune time to soak in your changes and appreciate what a 'ding' meant.
This i agree with so much. It's probably my biggest complaint about the leveling experience now.

ultron87

The Lamonster said:
why? Is it still good for anything these days?

I just realized I never once set foot in Karazhan (and about 20 other raids instances). That kind of bums me out.

Cursed missed content because I was never part a stable raiding guild after Vanilla!

kodt

Banned
piratepwnsninja said:
Are you actually blowing through the new dungeons? I'll agree on the WotLK dungeons, but the Cata ones are no cakewalk.

Sorry, I meant the vanilla dungeons are easy now. I started leveling a Rogue and in doing some of the old dungeons I never once had a group that ran into problems. Even with idiots pulling new groups before the tank was ready and stuff. I remember dying in Wailing Caverns, Razorfen Kraul, Maraudon etc... and now we can farm these without being over-leveled.

Lafiel said:
Yeah i find it amusing that everyone hates outland now. Back when it came out it was hands-down the best questing areas in the game. I don't even dread going there (in comparison to most people) as i still enjoy exploring the locales and quests. And you can pretty much dungeon-find your way to level 68 or 70.

Yeah, I don't think Outland is that bad, I just hate Hellfire Peninsula. The rest of the zones are pretty cool.

This i agree with so much. It's probably my biggest complaint about the leveling experience now.

Yeah, there was a sense of accomplishment in gaining a level or completing any dungeon. Many quests at your level required teamwork. Now you can solo pretty much everything, and blow through classic dungeons in 15 minutes.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
ultron87 said:
I just realized I never once set foot in Karazhan (and about 20 other raids instances). That kind of bums me out.

Cursed missed content because I was never part a stable raiding guild after Vanilla!
yeah, I am really hoping that in time blizz figures out what to do with old raid content. It's hundreds of man hours of content just sitting there, NEVER to be used again at any point during the modern game.

what I would honestly like seen done,, and it seems possible.. is to have a way to provide 5-man or 10-man versions of those raids to appropriately stick at the end and thus never let those raids die. so give out justice or victory points still for retooled 10 man MC raids. It would give more content to users/guilds who are coming to the game long after those raids went dormant, and would be a seemingly cheap way of adding content.

or of course they could just do like the did with ZG, and stick a real zone where the raid instance used to be. Of course this is still more work, even if the actual geography part is already done for the most part.

who knows... it's just very weird for blizz to leave that content forever useless. I mean there is ZERO reason to ever set foot in any raid pre-Cat at this point. And WotLK there was zero point to step in pre-WotLK raids, etc. There has to be a better way to implement raiding seasons.

Ferrio

Banned
The Lamonster said:
What made it a good place to make money?

Hah nothing, but there wasn't many ways to make money back then other than killing humanoids over and over for random drops.

It wasn't until I got geared up extremely well from MC/BWL that I was able to make bank soloing specific mobs in LBRS. How I funded my thunderfury.

webrunner

borghe said:
yeah, I am really hoping that in time blizz figures out what to do with old raid content. It's hundreds of man hours of content just sitting there, NEVER to be used again at any point during the modern game.

what I would honestly like seen done,, and it seems possible.. is to have a way to provide 5-man or 10-man versions of those raids to appropriately stick at the end and thus never let those raids die. so give out justice or victory points still for retooled 10 man MC raids. It would give more content to users/guilds who are coming to the game long after those raids went dormant, and would be a seemingly cheap way of adding content.

or of course they could just do like the did with ZG, and stick a real zone where the raid instance used to be. Of course this is still more work, even if the actual geography part is already done for the most part.

who knows... it's just very weird for blizz to leave that content forever useless. I mean there is ZERO reason to ever set foot in any raid pre-Cat at this point. And WotLK there was zero point to step in pre-WotLK raids, etc. There has to be a better way to implement raiding seasons.

Well, some of them, I can imagine them letting it go (MC was.. pretty much just a boring sequence of fights, BWL and Ony kinda hvae a revival in BWD) but a few like Kara, BT, etc, are important in both lore and are pretty damn neat, so it's a shame that they dont get experienced.

ultron87

webrunner said:
Well, some of them, I can imagine them letting it go (MC was.. pretty much just a boring sequence of fights, BWL and Ony kinda hvae a revival in BWD) but a few like Kara, BT, etc, are important in both lore and are pretty damn neat, so it's a shame that they dont get experienced.

The upcoming Firelands raid sounds like it will be the modern remake of MC in part, so that'll at least cover that.

It's sad that a lot of people won't even appreciate how great it was to refight Baron Geddon in Hyjal and have to use the same tactics as the original fight.

Edit: I think I just got nostalgic for MC when I read the Geddon strategy on WoWWiki. I never though I would see the day.

Alex

ultron87 said:
:lol The Eel quest in Vashj'ir wins for best quest text: http://www.wowwiki.com/Quest:Once_More,_With_Eeling_(2)

Especially because you just get it out of the blue when you kill an eel, so your character is just giving the quest to themselves.

Disagree

Back before those damned kobolds gave me a permanent limp, I used to be William Pestle's number one candle supplier. Hell, I even came up with the line "I TAKE CANDLE!" Yea, that was me. Kobold would say "You no take candle!" and I'd just respond "I TAKE CANDLE!" and then bash their brains in!
<Jimb drifts off for a second.>

Good times... the best times.

Ferrio

Banned
ultron87 said:
T
It's sad that a lot of people won't even appreciate how great it was to refight Baron Geddon in Hyjal and have to use the same tactics as the original fight.

You mean purposely chasing after guildmates when your the bomb to get them to freak out? :lol Used to love when people would use the bomb exploit on their pet, so many AH's left dead.

ultron87

Alex said:

:lol

I also enjoyed this one:

Flying creatures frighten them, so you'll have to climb trees yourself. Look for footholds at the trunks. Climb the trees, grab the bear cubs, and toss them - GENTLY! - onto the target here.

Nothing can go wrong with this plan.

And then in the objectives:

Climb up trees in the Whistling Grove, grab stranded Hyjal Bear Cubs, then hurl them at the Soft Target from the top of the tree. This is perfectly safe.

And finally on completion:

I thank you, <name>. Those little bears are shaken up but they'll survive.

At least the ones that hit the mat.

I like "Stop wasting time, money and expertise that could be used to make NEW ONES." It's a habit they've been leaning on.

Find and slay Golem Lord Argelmach. Return his head to Lotwil. You will also need to collect 10 Intact Elemental Cores from the Ragereaver Golems and Warbringer Constructs protecting Argelmach. You know this because you are psychic.

Great stuff.

I don't think a lack of exploration is a WoW problem as much as it is a modern day corporate profit making issue. Explorable areas where there is little to no content doesn't pass a cost-benefit analysis.

Eh-yup. I've said this before, but hopefully they don't go to that well during this expansion's life, too.

chris-013

ultron87 said:

Too bad, Karazhan is one of the best instance in the game !

Meier

That WoWProgress site is interesting.

Here are my stats from pre Cata

health: 28204
stamina: 2106
armor: 10802
intellect: 113
spirit: 115
agility: 1835
melee power: 2703
crit chance: 50.24%
hit rating: 274
expertise: 0
ranged power: 4836
crit chance: 51.11%
hit rating: 274

Now

health: 94203
stamina: 3959
armor: 12125
intellect: 100
spirit: 103
agility: 2902
melee power: 3442
crit chance: 16.44%
hit rating: 801
expertise: 0
ranged power: 6549
crit chance: 16.67%
hit rating: 801

GDJustin

Re: quest - I think the Eel quest is my personal favorite, as well. The best part, as someone mentioned, is that you're giving the quest to yourself.

Chittagong

Gold Member
ok so here comes a noob question. I have a quest from a while back called

Wanted Chok'sul (Group)

since I don't have any friends who play Wow, I figured I'd just go and see. I've been questing away myself until now (I'm L21). So I follow the quest arrow through the cave all the way to the back. There is a big dude on the back where the arrow ends, but he's called Gor'gresh or something like that. I beat him with no trouble, but he drops only a few copper coins. He keeps on respawning, too.

So what's the deal with this mission? How can I do it? Or can I?

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
mikespit1200 said:
How do I get to the new Black Rock Caverns exactly? It's been ages since I've been there.
You can get a quest in mount hyjal that automatically transports you there.

GDJustin

Lafiel said:
You can get a quest in mount hyjal that automatically transports you there.

That doesn't help you when you die and have to corpse-run back. I got lost as hell my first time. It was a little bit of the old Blizz "figure it out yourself!" thinking manifesting itself. :lol

Edit: Re guild XP - the problem is that this fucks small guilds. Yes big guilds should probably level faster than small ones. It's a team effort, after all. But now, it is VERY tough for a small guild to hit the daily guild XP cap day after day.

What should (and probably will) happen at some point is the guild XP rewards will scale according to the size of the guild. So a 5-man guild will have XP carry over 1:1, while a 350 person guild will have .25:1. With this math, the big guild still has a much easier time of it, but the small guild at least has a chance to keep up.

Evlar

Banned
I've done a little of this and a little of that: I have an 82 Priest wading through Vash'jir at the moment sporting 225 Archaeology. I have a 40 Dwarf Shaman I rolled with 4.0.3 who has cruised through the rebuilt zones and new questlines. I have a brand-new Worgen trying to escape Gilneas.

I think I'm willing to say Cataclysm's my Game of the Year. I've played WoW since launch and I've never quite been able to say that before; on launch day WoW was trumped by Half-Life 2, and some other game has stolen the prize with each other expansion. This is their year, though... Cataclysm is the best WoW has ever been, leaps and bounds better than at any point previously, and no other exceptional game stands in its path.

Twig

Banned
SatelliteOfLove said:
Eh-yup. I've said this before, but hopefully they don't go to that well during this expansion's life, too.
I'm not sure what you mean by this. That you hope "exploring things" doesn't go well? Could you clarify? U:

I only ask because I was a part of that discussion earlier and am now confused/curious!

Neo 007

Ok...I've never played wow before...seems like a good time to start.

Is there a pack I can get that contains everything?

Whats a good dps class to play....I'm Aussie?...So server suggestions would also be helpful
Thanks.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Neo 007 said:

Whats a good dps class to play....I'm Aussie?...So server suggestions would also be helpful
Thanks.

Most DPS classes are fun, now. If you want to DPS and only DPS, keep away from the hybrid classes. They tend to get weird over the course of patches with buffs/nerfs.

Every spec works currently, so just look around at some videos, maybe read up some talents and abilities for each class and see what looks more interesting for your playstyle.

Evlar

Banned
Neo 007 said:

Thanks.
In some territories (can't speak of Australia for certain) Blizzard recently offered a discount price on the base game and the first two expansions: the whole set could be had for $20 US. With Cataclysm at $40 you had one of the most expansive games in existence at the price of a typical console title... Unfortunately that deal is past and you'll have to assemble the game and expansions piece-meal. On the upside, it's never been a better time to start the base game alone. That will give you access to new zones and quests and a revamped world... the so-called "base game" is stuff new to everyone as of last month. Unless you have a burning urge to play one of the expansion races straight away (Blood Elf, Draenei, Goblin, Worgen) you can subsist on that for maybe a month, until you get a character or two to 60.

A Battle Chest combining the base game with the first two expansions is expected within the month, I think. I can't say whether it will be available in Australia in that time frame. My advice, honestly, is to buy and download the base game from Battle.net and worry about the rest later.

On the topic of best DPS class... Literally every class in the game has at least one DPS spec. One of WoW's strengths is the greater than usual variety of play mechanics between classes and different specs of one class: it's impossible to say one is "best", and your own judgment will depend on your preferences. The "pure" DPS classes are Rogue (obviously melee strikers), mages (obviously ranged magic nukes), hunters and warlocks (conventional and magical pet classes, respectively). They are not substantially better than the others at DPS, but they each have more options to vary how you approach damage-dealing than the other less DPS focused classes.

The game has some dedicated Oceanic realms. Australian players are given the option to choose one of them or play on a North American server. I don't play on an Oceanic realm, obviously, but I understand there are several active high-pop servers to choose from.

GDJustin

woot woot - sold two of the metagems for about 680g each - turned a hefty profit... I think. It's tough to know, since you have to juggle and add up the material costs, which are 18 gems. I kept forgetting how much I paid for everything.

In the end I think it worked out so the mats were about 1,000g, and it creates two of the metas, so a net profit of only about 350g. Not much, considering the initial investment/risk. But the metagem creation isn't on a cooldown, so if it's profitable you can keep doing it over and over.

Accumulation also made 350g today trading cata elementals, bringing her total bankroll up to over 700, for a moment:

http://wowaccumulation.tumblr.com/

I think I managed to fuck it up and might have made a decision that will lead to me giving back all that profit, though. I'm writing that post now. :lol

Spruchy

Joined an awesome guild tonight, one shotted everything in grim batol heroic and chance of getting into the 25 man black wing descent raid tomorrow.

Feels good man.

mcrae

Spruchy said:
Joined an awesome guild tonight, one shotted everything in grim batol heroic and chance of getting into the 25 man black wing descent raid tomorrow.

Feels good man.

im feeling so lost. i approached the top two guilds on that wow progression site, but both are completely full. im willing to move servers im just at a loss of where to begin my guild search. i only just hit 80, but i'd like to be able to get to know people over the next week or two before its time to start raiding ya know

(hint hint anyone want a warlock on a US EST alliance realm? i have tons of vanillla raid experience)

Ferrio

Banned
I just finished Heroic Deadmines

HOLY FUCK. BEST INSTANCE IN THE GAME.

It was great the whole way through... then after you beat cookie...... it just goes INSANE (extra bosses not in normal run). I was in constant awe how awesome the boss fights were.

RPGCrazied

I just did my first Cataclysm dungeon! Throne of the Tides. It was pretty epic. I think its the most fun in a 5man I've had so far. Are all the new dungeons like this? The loot seemed pretty meh. Still LoLing at a level 78 can wear it. Could luck getting a 78 in here.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
RPGCrazied said:
I just did my first Cataclysm dungeon! Throne of the Tides. It was pretty epic. I think its the most fun in a 5man I've had so far. Are all the new dungeons like this? The loot seemed pretty meh. Still LoLing at a level 78 can wear it. Could luck getting a 78 in here.
I've enjoyed all of the instances so far to be honest. Grim Batol seems to be the go-to instance for rep if you have a group good on the dragons. Nothing like flying through the first half of the instance in about 10 minutes. Halls seems to be the best non-heroic for drops.. either halls or lost city. halls is pretty fast though.. not a whole lot of trash pulls. actually vortex not a whole lot of trash pulls either.

most fun for me is vortex. as a fire mage I love being able to cast my bread and butter spells while still running around full speed, and vortex requires a bunch of that.

4M xp away from 85 so I can give a run at SFK and DM on heroic.. can't wait to do heroics. was hoping to hit 85 last night but that 9M xp is a little tougher to get through than I was expecting.. boooo.... if I don't play tonight I'll get it tomorrow.

Flib

Ferrio said:
I just finished Heroic Deadmines

HOLY FUCK. BEST INSTANCE IN THE GAME.

It was great the whole way through... then after you beat cookie...... it just goes INSANE (extra bosses not in normal run). I was in constant awe how awesome the boss fights were.

It's incredible. The bosses are all good, but the Vanessa VanCleef fight is really amazing.

Magnus

Can't believe people who've already leveled a main are calling for slower leveling on their alts. I'm perfectly happy with it taking far less time to level an alt (I'm not even going to do it until I have full heirlooms for them + the 25% perk or whatever it is via guild perks to get a 40-50% boost total -- because it's still painfully slow for those of us who've already got a couple 80's and want to make a fresh character).

And frankly, compared to the average non MMO game, the process is still perceived as slow. My friends who just tried WoW recently (post 4.0) still complained that they felt they weren't leveling fast enough; 85 is depressingly far out of range for a new player, especially if all they want is to catch up to their friends who are existing players at the level cap. I mean, it's about playing with your friends, right?

All this holds especially true if Blizzard's claims that 80-90% of new players used to give up in the early 20's because it was too slow.

I don't care if it's already EZ mode compared to most MMOs. That's exactly why all those grindy games are so fucking boring and why they're decimated by Blizzard on sales and subscriptions. Long live new WoW, the king.

Loto

Magnus said:
Can't believe people who've already leveled a main are calling for slower leveling on their alts. I'm perfectly happy with it taking far less time to level an alt (I'm not even going to do it until I have full heirlooms for them + the 25% perk or whatever it is via guild perks to get a 40-50% boost total -- because it's still painfully slow for those of us who've already got a couple 80's and want to make a fresh character).

And frankly, compared to the average non MMO game, the process is still perceived as slow. My friends who just tried WoW recently (post 4.0) still complained that they felt they weren't leveling fast enough; 85 is depressingly far out of range for a new player, especially if all they want is to catch up to their friends who are existing players at the level cap. I mean, it's about playing with your friends, right?

All this holds especially true if Blizzard's claims that 80-90% of new players used to give up in the early 20's because it was too slow.

I don't care if it's already EZ mode compared to most MMOs. That's exactly why all those grindy games are so fucking boring and why they're decimated by Blizzard on sales and subscriptions. Long live new WoW, the king.
+1
I like being able to play a few hours and gain a couple of levels (I'm only in the 50s). I'm sure it will change the higher I level but even then it will still be something I can play for as little or long as I like.

chris-013

What's the best tradeskill to make money when you only have one low level character, mining + skinning or mining + herbalist ? Or maybe mining + jewelcrafting is enough ?

TheYanger

Low levels you want any two gathering professions if money is what you're looking for. There's no money to be had in things like JC until you're capped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom