• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft: Cataclysm |OT| of Who the hell is Deathwing, anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris-013

TheYanger said:
Low levels you want any two gathering professions if money is what you're looking for. There's no money to be had in things like JC until you're capped.

So mining + skining or herbalist ?

V_Arnold said:
Again: nope. That is not PVP. That is a quest chain accessible to everyone when phasing is already implemented. People do not do 5-man quests for PVP'ing, there are plenty of PVP zones out there already for that. PVP is just an offspring of having ONE questchain and having 5-800 people / side / realm in a few days who wants to complete it.

So no, he does not want to disable PVP, so learn to read. :)

That quest chain to me is made difficult BECAUSE of the PVP. I think that was the intended point. It's why you have it in the open, where both Horde and Alliance have to fight over the quest guy. It's why there aren't guards killing you at every turn.

It IS PVP for that quest ... why else would they design it in such a manner? If they didn't want the PVP there, there is a ton of different little things to make that quest the loot dispenser it would be without the threat of the other side.

webrunner

flyinpiranha said:
That quest chain to me is made difficult BECAUSE of the PVP. I think that was the intended point. It's why you have it in the open, where both Horde and Alliance have to fight over the quest guy. It's why there aren't guards killing you at every turn.

It IS PVP for that quest ... why else would they design it in such a manner? If they didn't want the PVP there, there is a ton of different little things to make that quest the loot dispenser it would be without the threat of the other side.

Also: they essentially made this quest in two previous expansions already. They haven't significantly changed the way it works. That should say something.

Twig

Banned
flyinpiranha said:

This guy gets it.

Except that I would add: it is also made FUN because of the PvP.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Gathering professions is the only surefire way to make a profit. SOME of the crafting professions can be profitable, but it is hit & miss and you won't make a cent until you're at the top, and you will spend a ton of G getting to the top.

I probably spent close to 2000g training alch to 525 last week. I've made that money back now I think, but not through actually selling potions. Just transmuting elementals.

I bought the Battlechest last night and uninstalled it this morning after about 5 straight hours of playing.

It's dull, needlessly time consuming and addictive. Awful, awful combination.

One more mega popular game I can cross off the list.

V_Arnold

bluedeviltron said:
I bought the Battlechest last night and uninstalled it this morning after about 5 straight hours of playing.

Good one, now you have seen everything after all.

bluedeviltron said:

Good thing you spent like 40 bucks to play it for 5 hours and give up ;)

webrunner

bluedeviltron said:

What sort of character did you try? The experience as, eg, an undead rogue vs a night elf druid isn't exactly comparable.

bluedeviltron said:

That's a good call. I personally just got HD Cable, after flipping through 4 channels I said "fuck this shit!" and cancelled it.

I'm just giving you shit but honestly the game doesn't even open up until you get to the higher levels for a lot of people, it's when you get to really make your character your own and start grouping and meeting people and seeing what the game is about.

But to each his own.

joelseph

bluedeviltron said:

The game doesn't shine until you have friends and family that you can play with, without that it takes time to build good guild connections.

Cheech

joelseph said:
The game doesn't shine until you have friends and family that you can play with, without that it takes time to build good guild connections.

Yeah, but he has a point in that WoW isn't actually that great of a game.

I have a level 79 orc warlock that I've played off and on since the game launched in 2004.

What I'll do is buy a game time card about once a year, play the crap out of the game, catch up with old friends, and then disappear and play other stuff.

The essential problem with WoW is that it's designed around time consuming activities that are not necessarily fun. Raiding can be fun.. for awhile. PvP is fun in short bursts, but it is balanced for shit. The solo game is obnoxiously boring, and is a less interesting version of Diablo.

If you are into metagames such as achievements and continually upgrading loot, WoW is satisfying. Unfortunately, it just doesn't hold my attention for very long. The Cataclysm upgrade is good and I'm going to start a goblin guild with some buddies (separate from the regular guild I'm in), but I don't see myself playing the game much past January. There are simply more compelling game experiences out there.

chris-013 said:

I'm partial to herbs + skinning myself but honestly, all three gathering professions have generally been excellent moneymakers and to a large degree which ones are "best" is going to be dependent on server-specific trends.

Evlar

Banned
I think it's kinda insulting to state that we should all recognize we're playing a game that isn't fun. I don't typically do such an irrational thing for long... certainly not for months or years. I've been playing it off and on for six years because it's fun.

charlequin said:
I'm partial to herbs + skinning myself but honestly, all three gathering professions have generally been excellent moneymakers and to a large degree which ones are "best" is going to be dependent on server-specific trends.
It's also somewhat important to take into account the mastery bonus that they give you. As DPS, the skinning crit bonus is pretty nice. Mining has a stam bonus. Not sure what the herb bonus is, though.

Evlar

Banned
The Lamonster said:
It's also somewhat important to take into account the mastery bonus that they give you. As DPS, the skinning crit bonus is pretty nice. Mining has a stam bonus. Not sure what the herb bonus is, though.
Herbalism is the instant heal... pretty crappy for healing classes, nice for DPS, and it's saved my Prot Warrior's life a few times.

The Lamonster said:

Herbalism gives you a healing spell called Lifeblood.

Evlar said:
Herbalism is the instant heal... pretty crappy for healing classes, nice for DPS, and it's saved my Prot Warrior's life a few times.

Used to love it when it was a HoT as a feral druid.

Not so good now when i'm tanking.

Cheech said:

I would say that in reality WoW is like three excellent games, four or five pretty good games, and then like ten mediocre-to-decent games. :lol

As a leveling/questing experience, I find WoW very compelling, especially if you take the time to do other stuff on the side. As an economic game, WoW is quite entertaining -- nothing like tens of thousands of other players playing an auction house in real time to make money-making a fun experience. As an exploration game, WoW has one of the most fun and interesting fantasy worlds to just dig into the nooks and crannies of -- and with flying mounts, discovery experience, and exploration achievements it's far better for exploration than it was in vanilla.

Raiding is definitely not the best part of WoW, or a part that is going to appeal to everyone who plays, but if you want you really can just treat WoW almost like a single-player game: resub every time there's an expansion or major content patch, run the content through a few times, and unsub again.

The Lamonster said:
It's also somewhat important to take into account the mastery bonus that they give you.

Eh, I figured almost anyone who's dual-gathering while they level up is going to dump one or both of them anyway when they hit the level cap.

(Alternately, that shit wasn't in the game last time I was playing so I forgot about it. :lol )

GDJustin

FYI, I made another 700G just by using my Alchemy Transmute cooldown to turn 15 Volatile Life (8G) into 15 Volatile Air (54G). It's that easy.

Someone yesterday was postulating that it would be more profitable to spend the cooldown on Truegold. I disagreed. The situation is always fluid and can change in an instant, but for now at least I'm being proven right. Truegold is now selling for under 1000g, on my server:

https://us.battle.net/wow/en/vault/...&start=0&end=20&sort=unitBuyout&reverse=false

Someone else mentioned that the price of Volatile Airs wouldn't be propped up like this forever. That I do agree with. But as I said then for now I'm going to enjoy the ride.

I've always read about/heard about people that are able to make a ton of money in WoW doing basically nothing. Stuff like 3X profit every day just by buying Blue and Purple equipment and DE'ing it. Or whatever. Feels good to finally BE one of those people, for once.

I also have the only two metagems (Shadowspirit Diamonds) on the AH right now, at 700G a piece. The temptation to cancel those listings and relist for like 850g is very strong :lol

Flib

charlequin said:
Raiding is definitely not the best part of WoW, or a part that is going to appeal to everyone who plays, but if you want you really can just treat WoW almost like a single-player game: resub every time there's an expansion or major content patch, run the content through a few times, and unsub again.

If raiding is a concept that appeals to you though, then it is the best part of the game (and pretty much an unparalleled gaming experience...especially if you like the people you raid with).

Cheech

charlequin said:
with flying mounts, discovery experience, and exploration achievements it's far better for exploration than it was in vanilla.

No question about that. The game has come a long way since vanilla WoW, which is where I made my bones. Molten Core and Ony, 40+ times.

However, the core gameplay itself still leaves a lot to be desired. The vehicle quests in Lich King were entertaining, but there are still *way* too many fetch quests. If you look at a game like Oblivion where you have stuff like the Dark Brotherhood quest chain, or the quest that is is a self contained murder mystery, there is just nothing like that in WoW. There are *tons* of filler quests in the game, and while the overall quality went up in Lich King, I was still disappointed.

Granted, my main isn't quite 80 yet so I haven't seen the Cataclysm content yet. The Harrison Jones stuff sounds hilarious.

I think as a social experience for gamers, WoW is as good as it gets. As a statement of game design, though, it is long in the tooth and needs to be reinvented. I am really looking forward to Blizzard's MMO follow up.

Twig said:
I'm not sure what you mean by this. That you hope "exploring things" doesn't go well? Could you clarify? U:

I only ask because I was a part of that discussion earlier and am now confused/curious!

Going to the well of recycled assets or really small, really cheap to make new instances and funneling players out of world zones contrasting with the lush, huge, exploration-friendly zones an expansion launches with.

As an exploration game, WoW has one of the most fun and interesting fantasy worlds to just dig into the nooks and crannies of -- and with flying mounts, discovery experience, and exploration achievements it's far better for exploration than it was in vanilla.

I'm of the opinion no (personally, my Bartle's Test would have a decent sized E quotient). Flying mounts came at a cost to both world PVP and exploration, as they put you hundreds of game feet up in the air away from the ground and whatever it held. This isn't even to mention the ease of flying in, going "Hrmm, neat." and jetting off rather than going to the effort and danger of mountain-climbing or deep into enemy territory.

Ahievements also have a habit of turning relatively aimless fun-time stuff for many into a honey-do list.

Cheech

The Lamonster said:
This statement is embarrassing.

Embarrassing? No. Hyperbole? Probably. Read the rest of my post!

What is embarrassing are the people in my guild who have over a year of real time played in this game. I'm not passing judgment on them or anything, but I don't see how it is possible. Are they playing for the entertainment value, or is it an addiction? I haven't asked anyone this who has actually done this, because there really isn't a good way to ask without looking like you're passing judgment. I would like to understand this mindset.

aktham

Cheech said:

I have a level 79 orc warlock that I've played off and on since the game launched in 2004.

What I'll do is buy a game time card about once a year, play the crap out of the game, catch up with old friends, and then disappear and play other stuff.

The essential problem with WoW is that it's designed around time consuming activities that are not necessarily fun. Raiding can be fun.. for awhile. PvP is fun in short bursts, but it is balanced for shit. The solo game is obnoxiously boring, and is a less interesting version of Diablo.

If you are into metagames such as achievements and continually upgrading loot, WoW is satisfying. Unfortunately, it just doesn't hold my attention for very long. The Cataclysm upgrade is good and I'm going to start a goblin guild with some buddies (separate from the regular guild I'm in), but I don't see myself playing the game much past January. There are simply more compelling game experiences out there.

I agree there. I usually play a month before and month after expansions. You can beat the last boss of each expansion and check out the new quests and areas after the expansion. Anytime after the initial 2 months of an expansion is just a carrot on a stick (doing dailies/grinding rep/making gold etc). Some people enjoy that sort of thing, I'd rather not. I treat WoW as a single player game with retarded AI.

Cheech said:
Embarrassing? No. Hyperbole? Probably. Read the rest of my post!

What is embarrassing are the people in my guild who have over a year of real time played in this game. I'm not passing judgment on them or anything, but I don't see how it is possible. Are they playing for the entertainment value, or is it an addiction? I haven't asked anyone this who has actually done this, because there really isn't a good way to ask without looking like you're passing judgment. I would like to understand this mindset.
Personally, it's the art direction and player customization that keeps me interested. I've logged about 28 days of game time and I often wonder if it's because of an addiction to the carrot-on-a-stick gameplay or if I really do enjoy it and I always come back to realizing that it's the latter. I stick with the game because it's a great game and a lot of fun.

But anyway, yeah it's embarrassing that anyone would say WoW just isn't that great of the game when it's the clear leader in an entire genre, and has been since its inception.

GDJustin

I too treat WoW as a primarily single player game. With the added bonus that some of my friends from HS are addicts, so I catch up with them once every six months or so, when I resub for a month.

The thing is, there's nothing wrong with that. People seem to think of WoW and other MMOs as absolutes - it's either something you do, or something you don't do. "Do I want to be a WoW player?"

I don't follow that line of thinking at all. I've been dropping in and out of WoW for years now. Obviously when expansions drop, but at other times as well. If I find myself feeling bored for more than a couple evenings in a row (doesn't happen often with other games/books/TV shows floating around) I'll end up resubbing for a month and enjoying myself.

I'd also like to mention that it makes a HUGE difference if you have friends playing. Just like playing WoW doesn't have to be an all-or-nothing thing, the "MMO/social" aspects of it don't have to be all or nothing, either. It's a ton of fun rolling through dungeons with friends! Everyone having a role to play, relying on each other, coordinating, etc. But that doesn't mean you need to raid three nights a week.

GDJustin said:
I too treat WoW as a primarily single player game. With the added bonus that some of my friends from HS are addicts, so I catch up with them once every six months or so, when I resub for a month.

The thing is, there's nothing wrong with that. People seem to think of WoW and other MMOs as absolutes - it's either something you do, or something you don't do. "Do I want to be a WoW player?"

I don't follow that line of thinking at all. I've been dropping in and out of WoW for years now. Obviously when expansions drop, but at other times as well. If I find myself feeling bored for more than a couple evenings in a row (doesn't happen often with other games/books/TV shows floating around) I'll end up resubbing for a month and enjoying myself.

I'd also like to mention that it makes a HUGE difference if you have friends playing. Just like playing WoW doesn't have to be an all-or-nothing thing, the "MMO/social" aspects of it don't have to be all or nothing, either. It's a ton of fun rolling through dungeons with friends! Everyone having a role to play, relying on each other, coordinating, etc. But that doesn't mean you need to raid three nights a week.

Exactly. It should be a "want to" that you and your friends go dungeon-delving 3 days a week.

aktham

The Lamonster said:
Personally, it's the art direction and player customization that keeps me interested. I've logged about 28 days of game time and I often wonder if it's because of an addiction to the carrot-on-a-stick gameplay or if I really do enjoy it and I always come back to realizing that it's the latter. I stick with the game because it's a great game and a lot of fun.

But anyway, yeah it's embarrassing that anyone would say WoW just isn't that great of the game when it's the clear leader in an entire genre, and has been since its inception.

Maybe he doesn't like the genre?

Cheech, I assume you have the Cata expansion? Level your warlock to 85 through the new zones/play the worgen starting zone/play the goblin starting zone. You can freeze you account after you've done these things. Resub when Deathwing is the current boss/grind for gear for him/wait for expansion.

That way you're only playing for a specific goal.

thefil

I'd like to chime in on the value of WoW. While in the past I found myself playing to reach certain goals (levelling, a mount, raiding, etc) this time around I took a different approach and just decided to experience the lore.

If you read the quests, take your time and do all the zones, WoW has an extremely compelling breadth of stories to tell. While there are always the quests that are just to kill things, Blizzard has made it with this expansion so that every zone has *at least* one chain that has genuinely interesting exposition within it. I've actually disabled my experience gain so I can start doing all the zones in my level range.

What's amazing to me is that I've been each "kind" of player (except for PvP) at least once, and in each case it was pretty damn compelling.

Dina

chris-013 said:

I would go for mining + herbalism. You can dual-track both nodes now. And mining is used for BS/JC/ENG while herbalism is used for ALC/INS. Skinning is only used for LW.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
fna84 said:
Dammit why is it so hard to find Khorium?

welcome to most of my battle over's during BC.

GDJustin said:

Exactly, It should never feel like a 2nd job.

They should update all the graphics ala DAOC.

They should also have housing like DAOC. Think about it. You could give the addicts all kinds of options to upgrade their places and keep them on that treadmill.

I only had a house in DAOC for a month :(

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
aktham said:
Maybe he doesn't like the genre?

Cheech, I assume you have the Cata expansion? Level your warlock to 85 through the new zones/play the worgen starting zone/play the goblin starting zone. You can freeze you account after you've done these things. Resub when Deathwing is the current boss/grind for gear for him/wait for expansion.

That way you're only playing for a specific goal.

Maybe he doesnt like the genre yeah. It's normal that MMOs arent for everyone.

But that doesnt makes WoW a shitty game, because its not. Doesnt matter if you hate MMOs, its still a great game. If you call WoW a shitty game, you just dont know how to separate a shitty game and a game you don't like. There is a big difference between the 2.

I hate sports games, yet you dont see me calling all the great sport games being shitty.

Flib

James Woods said:
They should update all the graphics ala DAOC.

They should also have housing like DAOC. Think about it. You could give the addicts all kinds of options to upgrade their places and keep them on that treadmill.

I only had a house in DAOC for a month :(

They up the graphics incrementally each expansion. Cataclysm looks incredible next to Vanilla.

Housing fractures the community, they will never allow it. They want people hanging out in cities.

Flib said:
They up the graphics incrementally each expansion. Cataclysm looks incredible next to Vanilla.

Housing fractures the community, they will never allow it. They want people hanging out in cities.

Yeah definitely, the graphics look way better now than they did. There are smaller things, like the sunshafts, improved water, etc. that are engine upgrades, but the real noticeable things are the texture differences between say, old Orgrimmar and New Orgrimmar. SO MUCH BETTER. Way sharper.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Cheech said:
If you look at a game like Oblivion where you have stuff like the Dark Brotherhood quest chain, or the quest that is is a self contained murder mystery, there is just nothing like that in WoW.

I know you haven't played Cata yet, but the entirety of Westfall's new questline is one giant murder mystery to solve...with a pretty cool ending.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Flib said:

Player characters are a real holdout though. Comparing base Goblins to Night Elves shows just how big that 6-year gap has been.

Game still looks incredible at times though, too often I am still floored by much of it's scope and artistic detail.

GDJustin

I do think player/guild housing will come eventually, if for no other reason than to be another gold sink.

Blizz intentionally puts gold sinks into the game to keep the economy balanced. For a couple expansions now it has been various mounts and riding skills (& Guild Banks). But I think that lemon is just about squeezed dry, so it is going to have to be something else. For Cata I expected it to be water mounts. Sell the skill for 5K, and a bunch of the mounts for 300g, or something. :lol

Imagine if you could buy a little instanced home of your own for maybe 5,000g. You can customize & decorate it to a small degree. It would probably come with more storage space to give people a "functional" reason to use it. They could also charge a modest weekly/monthly "rent" fee like LOTRO does, to continue balancing the economy.

As time went on they could add more and more expensive upgrades. Make it bigger, give you more storage, give you portals to major cities, etc. Each upgrade costing a chunk of money.

A housing-related profession could also be introduced. Probably secondary profession, unless they can come up with a way the profession can also buff up toons.

Cities are crowded because they have trainers and the AH - that's it. As long as instanced housing doesn't have those things, it won't harm cities.

I fully expect housing + a housing profession to be the big bullet point (besides more zones/dungeons/levels) of one of the next expansions.

Ferrio

Banned
GDJustin said:
Cities are crowded because they have trainers and the AH - that's it. As long as instanced housing doesn't have those things, it won't harm cities.

I fully expect housing + a housing profession to be the big bullet point (besides more zones/dungeons/levels) of one of the next expansions.

Oh ya, real estate agent profession. I'd drop jewelcrafting quick.

GDJustin

Ferrio said:
Oh ya, real estate agent profession. I'd drop jewelcrafting quick.

I dunno if you're jerking me around a lot, but I would totally pick up a furniture making profession :lol

The issue is that all the primary professions revolve around buffing characters - that's what drives their economy. So if there was some sort of furnishings/decorations profession it would either have to be a secondary so everyone could train it at their leisure, or it would somehow have to provide buffs.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
GDJustin said:
I do think player/guild housing will come eventually, if for no other reason than to be another gold sink.

Blizz intentionally puts gold sinks into the game to keep the economy balanced. For a couple expansions now it has been various mounts and riding skills (& Guild Banks). But I think that lemon is just about squeezed dry, so it is going to have to be something else. For Cata I expected it to be water mounts. Sell the skill for 5K, and a bunch of the mounts for 300g, or something. :lol

Imagine if you could buy a little instanced home of your own for maybe 5,000g. You can customize & decorate it to a small degree. It would probably come with more storage space to give people a "functional" reason to use it. They could also charge a modest weekly/monthly "rent" fee like LOTRO does, to continue balancing the economy.

As time went on they could add more and more expensive upgrades. Make it bigger, give you more storage, give you portals to major cities, etc. Each upgrade costing a chunk of money.

A housing-related profession could also be introduced. Probably secondary profession, unless they can come up with a way the profession can also buff up toons.

Make it 100k gold for the instance home. Only us superior players who profit like the American Dream deserve it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom