• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft: Cataclysm |OT| of Who the hell is Deathwing, anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raide

GDJustin said:
I do think player/guild housing will come eventually, if for no other reason than to be another gold sink.

Blizz intentionally puts gold sinks into the game to keep the economy balanced. For a couple expansions now it has been various mounts and riding skills (& Guild Banks). But I think that lemon is just about squeezed dry, so it is going to have to be something else. For Cata I expected it to be water mounts. Sell the skill for 5K, and a bunch of the mounts for 300g, or something. :lol

Imagine if you could buy a little instanced home of your own for maybe 5,000g. You can customize & decorate it to a small degree. It would probably come with more storage space to give people a "functional" reason to use it. They could also charge a modest weekly/monthly "rent" fee like LOTRO does, to continue balancing the economy.

As time went on they could add more and more expensive upgrades. Make it bigger, give you more storage, give you portals to major cities, etc. Each upgrade costing a chunk of money.

A housing-related profession could also be introduced. Probably secondary profession, unless they can come up with a way the profession can also buff up toons.

Cities are crowded because they have trainers and the AH - that's it. As long as instanced housing doesn't have those things, it won't harm cities.

I fully expect housing + a housing profession to be the big bullet point (besides more zones/dungeons/levels) of one of the next expansions.

Save it for WoW 2.

Yes they want more time sinks but they also want the main cities to have a community, not everyone hiding in their newly decorated houses. :lol Maybe have guild housing, ala Guild Wars but if they add housing, that adds a huge amount of server resources that they have to sort for everyone that wants one. Then you have people crying they cannot afford one.

UO did is really well but outside of towns became an annoying maze of neon houses. That was fine because it had huge amount of open space doing nothing but WoW really does not have that much open space. Instancing everything would solve the issue but create more issues.

Between levelling characters, getting mounts for all those characters, levelling a guild and trade-skills, people already have a huge amount of timesink available. They just add a new expansion, up the level and start the grind again.

aktham

I am disappointed the way heirlooms are handled right now. I would prefer if the gear is "bound to account" and not "bound to server". You should be able to simply unlock the gear and every toon created should have access to the heirlooms, similar to how CE pets are given to each toon created on that account.

My suggestion would be to have the heirloom vendors in each major city. Vendors will be selling heirlooms. Heirlooms already purchased would be marked "Already purchased" for all toons.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Raide said:
Save it for WoW 2.

Cataclysm is WoW2.

By advancing the storyline 5+ years, Blizz has signaled that they're sticking with WoW as the center of the Warcraft universe for the forseeable future.

There won't be a WoW2 for at least 5 years, and my guess would be there won't be one, ever. If they want to make big changes they'll just revamp their existing product again.

Edit: Additionally, the housing would be instanced, like dungeons are. So no rows of shitty houses or making space for them. You walk into a swirling vortex in Stormwind, and you're inside your house. Everyone else access their house from the same place.

Ferrio

Banned
GDJustin said:
Cataclysm is WoW2.
Edit: Additionally, the housing would be instanced, like dungeons are. So no rows of shitty houses or making space for them. You walk into a swirling vortex in Stormwind, and you're inside your house. Everyone else access their house from the same place.

Meh instancing houses is lame. Least if they did it they should instance X at a time.. so it's actually like some kinda community.

GDJustin

Ferrio said:
Meh instancing houses is lame. Least if they did it they should instance X at a time.. so it's actually like some kinda community.

That's exactly what LOTRO does. :)

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
GDJustin said:
that's really boring. why even bother implementing such a feature?

GDJustin

Scrow said:

Because it's fun... it's personalization. You could invite people to your house for a house party. Maybe "resting" there earns bonus rest XP. Maybe it can act as shared storage between all your characters, making swapping heirlooms or other items easy.

People spend hours/days/years inside WoW but they don't have a "home base."

I'm not much of a "roleplay" guy at all, and even I would dig a place to "hang my hat" at the end of the WoW day. There's no limit to the number of little features blizz could implement. Maybe a little garden where herbs can be grown. Heck maybe even a gardening secondary profession for growing food. :lol

When players complete raid dungeons or difficult achievements, they can earn a physical (well not physical but WoW physical) item that can be placed in their home. So dragon talons, rare archeology items and other momentos of past adventures can adorn the walls and tables.

Point is these are all ideas off the top of my head. Blizz can undoubtedly make it compelling for the RPers, the hardcore raiders, and everyone in between. Maybe spending time at your home base when logged off gives your toon an "aura" that boosts their biggest stat by x%, giving raiders and number crunchers a reason to care.

Sai-kun

Banned
GDJustin said:
When players complete raid dungeons or difficult achievements, they can earn a physical (well not physical but WoW physical) item that can be placed in their home. So dragon talons, rare archeology items and other momentos of past adventures can adorn the walls and tables.

what if you could have a wall where you specifically put weapons or armor. Then all old weapons I have could stop taking up space in my bank and actually look cool! :D That would be awesome.

Scrow said:

Something for others to do and/or gold sink. Everything in a game (the bigger it is, the more true it is) doesn't have to appeal to everyone, remember.

Narag

Sai-kun said:
what if you could have a wall where you specifically put weapons or armor. Then all old weapons I have could stop taking up space in my bank and actually look cool! :D That would be awesome.

Bring on FFXI style mannequins. I miss my mog house.

GDJustin said:
I do think player/guild housing will come eventually, if for no other reason than to be another gold sink.

Blizz intentionally puts gold sinks into the game to keep the economy balanced.

Speaking of which, what the hell is the money sink this expansion? I have been making tons of cash on the AH and I have no idea what I am supposed to be spending it on except for the standard gems/enchants for my gear. I will probably just go back and buy the expensive mounts I did not pick up in WotLK since I consider any cash over 25K gold to be throw around money.

webrunner

aktham said:
I am disappointed the way heirlooms are handled right now. I would prefer if the gear is "bound to account" and not "bound to server". You should be able to simply unlock the gear and every toon created should have access to the heirlooms, similar to how CE pets are given to each toon created on that account.

My suggestion would be to have the heirloom vendors in each major city. Vendors will be selling heirlooms. Heirlooms already purchased would be marked "Already purchased" for all toons.

Heirlooms between servers is something they're working on they just haven't got it working yet- the way they plan to do it is to allow you to mail your own toons across servers, but they had trouble getting it working.

Evil Benius said:
Speaking of which, what the hell is the money sink this expansion? I have been making tons of cash on the AH and I have no idea what I am supposed to be spending it on except for the standard gems/enchants for my gear. I will probably just go back and buy the expensive mounts I did not pick up in WotLK since I consider any cash over 25K gold to be throw around money.

Vial of the Sands is not BoP any more, so it's basically this expansion's Mechano-hog.

glaurung

Evil Benius said:
For casual players like me, Azeroth flying.

After decking out my main with the best gems and glyphs back in November, I have barely 2,500g left.

quick question,

I stopped playing 4 years ago when Burning Crusade came out.

If I want to get back into wow, do I need to buy BC, WOTL and Cataclysm or can I just buy Cataclysm?

Thank you.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
H.Cornerstone said:
quick question,

I stopped playing 4 years ago when Burning Crusade came out.

If I want to get back into wow, do I need to buy BC, WOTL and Cataclysm or can I just buy Cataclysm?

Thank you.

You'd need Wrath in order to get Cataclysm. Sorry man.

webrunner said:
Vial of the Sands is not BoP any more, so it's basically this expansion's Mechano-hog.

Right, but that is not really a money sink except for any vendor materials that the alchemist has to buy (which I will admit I do not know how much that totals). A money sink takes cash out of the economy, not just shifts it around.

glaurung said:
For casual players like me, Azeroth flying.

After decking out my main with the best gems and glyphs back in November, I have barely 2,500g left.

250G is so little with the amount of cash coming in from quests not even counting any stuff you vendor.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Sunflower said:
You'd need Wrath in order to get Cataclysm. Sorry man.
keep in mind however that you can level 1-60 without any of the expansions and still get the revamped azeroth. you just don't get the new zones for 80+ content.

Scrow said:
keep in mind however that you can level 1-60 without any of the expansions and still get the revamped azeroth. you just don't get the new zones for 80+ content.

Well that kills that idea...

Yeah, I really didn't want to start from the beginning again, and was just going to start playing my 60 Paladin/Priest again, but I can't afford dropping 80 on the game right now.

So I would need to buy WOTL and Cataclysm, but not BC?

webrunner

Evil Benius said:
Right, but that is not really a money sink except for any vendor materials that the alchemist has to buy (which I will admit I do not know how much that totals). A money sink takes cash out of the economy, not just shifts it around.

Much like the Mechano-Hog there's a lot of expensive vendor mats - 8x sands of time (3000) and 1x Pyrium-Laced Crystalline Vial (5000)

Edit: To above:
You need Wrath for Cata and BC for Wrath.

You also need BC to get past the 60 cap (and 60-70 zones), and Wrath to get past the 70 cap (and 70-80 zones)

So if you ARE starting at 60, then you'd need BC and Wrath anyway as you don't have access to the game between 60-80, even if you could add Cata to your account.

ultron87

H.Cornerstone said:

Yeah, I really didn't want to start from the beginning again, and was just going to start playing my 60 Paladin/Priest again, but I can't afford dropping 80 on the game right now.

You need BC to go from 60-70 in Outland. Then you need Lich King for 70-80 in Northrend. Finally, Cataclysm gets you the new zones for 80-85.

You can't get above 60, or use any of the other expansions, without Burning Crusade.

So for right now you could just buy BC and start leveling in Outland. If you only ever played vanilla WoW this will still be step up from the leveling you remember.

webrunner said:
Much like the Mechano-Hog there's a lot of expensive vendor mats - 8x sands of time (3000) and 1x Pyrium-Laced Crystalline Vial (5000)

OK then hopefully a ton of people buy them up because I feel like the economy has a ton of cash flowing into it this expansion. Obviously inflation is going to happen over time, but I felt like I was pulling in thousands of gold per zone of questing.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
H.Cornerstone said:

You need to buy all 3 if you want to lvl from 60 to 85.

Should have bought them a few weeks ago when they were all 5-10$. :lol

ultron87 said:
You need BC to go from 60-70 in Outland. Then you need Lich King for 70-80 in Northrend. Finally, Cataclysm gets you the new zones for 80-85.

You can't get above 60, or use any of the other expansions, without Burning Crusade.

So for right now you could just buy BC and start leveling in Outland. If you only ever played vanilla WoW this will still be step up from the leveling you remember.

sounds good.

I can get BC for $20 so that wouldn't be too bad..

But I really wanted to play catacylsm, but looks like I don't have a choice.

I haven't played in a while, how is outland for leveling, gear? And How far behind am I going to be haven't played in four years?

And should I play my dwarf preist or dwarf paladin?

glaurung

Evil Benius said:

250G is so little with the amount of cash coming in from quests not even counting any stuff you vendor.
NVM, I'm stupid. I thought the epic flying 5,000g was the price.

*goes to buy the license to soar around Azeroth

webrunner

H.Cornerstone said:
sounds good.

I can get BC for $20 so that wouldn't be too bad..

But I really wanted to play catacylsm, but looks like I don't have a choice.

I haven't played in a while, how is outland for leveling, gear? And How far behind am I going to be haven't played in four years?

Outland (and then wrath) are huge steps up in gear. The first outland zone you'll be replacing blues with greens (and purples with blues) and by the time you're done you'll have replaced most of your gear.

The game doesn't, however, expect you to have non-levelling gear so you'll be fine all the way up to 85 on quest rewards and the occasional dungeon run. Don't worry about being 'behind'.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
H.Cornerstone said:
you could run your character into outlands completely naked and still manage to kill what you need to for quests. it'll be difficult until you start equipping quest rewards, but certainly doable.

H.Cornerstone said:
that's completely up to you. which did you enjoy the most when you were playing WoW?

Chittagong

Gold Member
How do I do quests labeled "Group"?

If I go do them alone the boss seems to be replaced with another that doesn't drop the loot. Don't have any friends playing WoW either...

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Chittagong said:

If I go do them alone the boss seems to be replaced with another that doesn't drop the loot. Don't have any friends playing WoW either...
send a message to general chat (type /1) asking if anyone else has the same group quest to do. usually they suggest a number of players ranging from 3-5... i've found you can do almost all of them with 2.

spam that once a minute and in the mean time continue questing in the zone. if you don't get any takers by the time you're high enough level to leave for the next zone just abandon the quest and move on.

Monies! Made over 2.5k last night from selling obsidium, elementium and the volatiles and gems that come with them. Because the farmers are out in force I decided to just level my paladin and grab any ore I saw during normal questing. I made about 600g from quests and quest rewards as well. Not bad for not being dedicated to farming. And demand is enough that I don't undercut the lowest price for these particular materials.

Also on my server there is very little fel iron ore now. Last week stacks were going for 20g. I've been helping to raise the price day by day though to see what price can be reasonably sustained. Currently the stacks are going for around 150g.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Scrow said:
send a message to general chat (type /1) asking if anyone else has the same group quest to do.

cool - will try. what is the definition of a "Group"? Do we simply walk there together or do I need to form a group. Sorry, I know this is pretty basic stuff..

Scrow said:
you could run your character into outlands completely naked and still manage to kill what you need to for quests. it'll be difficult until you start equipping quest rewards, but certainly doable.

that's completely up to you. which did you enjoy the most when you were playing WoW?

I always perferred the paladin, but both classes pretty much do the same thing.. heal....

webrunner

Chittagong said:

Wait, is this new? Before the mobs were always there, they were just too strong for a single person usually (except in some cases)

Takuan

So my 10-day trial ended a few days ago and I instantly re-subbed. Having come back from vanilla WoW, Cataclysm is truly a breath of fresh air in that nothing really feels grindy (yet). Quests, dungeon queues, guild achievements, the UI, the environment, and way more that I haven't touched yet have all improved for a better gameplay experience. I love that I can queue for a dungeon while questing, jump in when an instance is available, and when I'm done I'm put right back to where I was before the instance to continue with questing. The random loot bag has been absolutely vital to keeping my character properly geared, and running through multitudes of bosses usually gets me other nice stuff to keep me effective. Everything is just so much more convenient now. It's perfect for newbies and people who prefer a faster-paced MMO experience without sacrificing depth.

If anyone's on Zul'jin, my characters are Jaundice (61 DK) and Felton (43 rogue), both Worgen. I was initially going to main the DK, but spent the past few sessions on Felton exclusively and think rogues are just more interesting to play as. I'll probably roll a warrior and a hunter afterward, which covers every class I'm interested in - I've never been big on casters, and I just don't know about pallies.

Jibber Hack said:
Monies! Made over 2.5k last night from selling obsidium, elementium and the volatiles and gems that come with them.

Man I was sad yesterday when I spent 2.5 hours gathering Obsidium only to turn around and use it to level blacksmithing by making gear that sells for less than the components. I think I figured out I ended up burning through 2.5-3K gold in ore by doing this =/

I think the worst case of this though on my server is Elementium Rods which take about 600G in materials and sell for...50G.

Chittagong

Gold Member
webrunner said:
Wait, is this new? Before the mobs were always there, they were just too strong for a single person usually (except in some cases)

might be - this is what I noticed it with:

ok so here comes a noob question. I have a quest from a while back called

Wanted Chok'sul (Group)

since I don't have any friends who play Wow, I figured I'd just go and see. I've been questing away myself until now (I'm L21). So I follow the quest arrow through the cave all the way to the back. There is a big dude on the back where the arrow ends, but he's called Gor'gresh or something like that. I beat him with no trouble, but he drops only a few copper coins. He keeps on respawning, too.

So what's the deal with this mission? How can I do it? Or can I?

so there was no Chok'sul there but another big dude.

Yaweee

I didn't see that the new Engineering "get bonus shit while you mine" was a low level recipe, so I'm probably out 1000s of G in Volatile Airs that I didn't start collecting until now.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

ultron87

I found it weird that there wasn't a single group quest in Hyjal.

I guess it's nice so that anyone can do the whole chain even if the zone is empty 2 expansions down the line.

Rapstah

Chittagong said:

There's no such tech in place, "Wanted: Chok'sul" is no longer in the game. It's just one of the quests they forgot to delete the data for, but it's not completable.

webrunner

Chittagong said:

http://www.wowhead.com/quest=256/wanted-choksul
http://www.wowhead.com/npc=1210

Seems to suggest the quest itself may be bugged, now? It might be they forgot to change the quest with the shattering when they replaced the mob.

Usually "Group" just means "This isn't a regular mob" - it could be just a little powerful and designed for two (or one powerful) or it could be tuned for 3, 4, or a party of 5. Instance quests are marked "dungeon". Above that the quest is marked "raid" - does the default UI tell you the party size yet? I know with mods before it woulds say things like [15-3] as the level to indicate it was tuned for 3 people.

Jibber Hack said:
Monies! Made over 2.5k last night from selling obsidium, elementium and the volatiles and gems that come with them. Because the farmers are out in force I decided to just level my paladin and grab any ore I saw during normal questing. I made about 600g from quests and quest rewards as well. Not bad for not being dedicated to farming. And demand is enough that I don't undercut the lowest price for these particular materials.

Also on my server there is very little fel iron ore now. Last week stacks were going for 20g. I've been helping to raise the price day by day though to see what price can be reasonably sustained. Currently the stacks are going for around 150g.

I farmed about 20 volatile fires in about 15 minutes last night. They only go for about 40g each on my server though. I didn't sell them, but still, 800g for 15 minutes of work? They were actually dropping in sets of three from the elementals I was farming. It certainly helped me get my crafting skills leveled up. I like that they added the multiple levels of skill to certain recipes now. Seems a ton easier to level a crafting skill.

Yaweee

ultron87 said:
I found it weird that there wasn't a single group quest in Hyjal.

I guess it's nice so that anyone can do the whole chain even if the zone is empty 2 expansions down the line.

There are very few overworld Group quests in the expansion, in general. Maybe only the Crucible of Carnage?

It was a good idea. The weird mix of group quests interspersed in to otherwise single-player quest chains was dumb, and almost impossible to finish to a few months after the content is released.

They un-grouped some of the remaining old-world areas, as well, like the Nesingwary "boss" monsters in STV, or the Hive regions of Silithus.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Rapstah said:
There's no such tech in place, "Wanted: Chok'sul" is no longer in the game. It's just one of the quests they forgot to delete the data for, but it's not completable.

:lol oh, ok. thanks for clarifying that up for me, I didn't figure they've forgot old stuff in

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Yaweee said:
There are very few overworld Group quests in the expansion, in general. Maybe only the Crucible of Carnage?

It was a good idea. The weird mix of group quests interspersed in to otherwise single-player quest chains was dumb, and almost impossible to finish to a few months after the content is released.

They un-grouped some of the remaining old-world areas, as well, like the Nesingwary "boss" monsters in STV, or the Hive regions of Silithus.

Remember the Icecrown zone? If you wanted the Icecrown quests achievement for Loremaster, you had to do almost all the 3-5 mans group quests. And they are literally everywhere in Icecrown. It was almost impossible to do unless you were lucky in finding a group or if your guild wanted to help. They were only easily soloable by every class near the end of the expansion when everyone was in 232-245-251-264 epics.

Yaweee

Bisnic said:
Remember the Icecrown zone? If you wanted the Icecrown quests achievement for Loremaster, you had to do almost all the 3-5 mans group quests. And they are literally everywhere in Icecrown. It was almost impossible to do unless you were lucky in finding a group or if your guild wanted to help. They were only soloable by every class near the end of the expansion when everyone was in 251+ epics.

Yeah, it really sucked. The somewhat ridiculous phasing used around the place just made it worse.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
H.Cornerstone said:
I always perferred the paladin, but both classes pretty much do the same thing.. heal....
that's really not the case now. priest can do decent, or even amazing DPS if specced to Shadow. Healing is relegated to Holy and Discipline talent trees, though i assume Holy has the more potent heals.

Paladin can also do lots of damage if talents are chosen in the Retribution tree. Like the Priest, powerful healing is the domain of the Holy talent tree. Paladins can also tank if they go for Protection.

GDJustin

As people reading this topic know, I've been playing the AH a lot since Cata dropped. One thing I'm *really* beginning to hate is people that price items irresponsibly low. Not high, but *low*.

Example:

The Cataclysm metagem, Shadowspirit Diamond, has been consistently selling for 650g, on my server. I've sold probably ~10 at this price, so I know they move at this range. The recipe is BARELY profitable, at this price. Some days you'll make ~200g on the recipe, which is totally healthy, but you have to invest 1100g to make that 200, and there's no guarantees. Other days you break even.

So I list 4 of them at 648g - normal.

I come back and check later, and someone has listed EIGHT at 500g. Now, I don't mind being undercut - that is business. But this isn't the same. This behavior is harmful to all high-level alchemists server-wide. I bought up all eight and relisted at my price of 648g. Not because I'm a dick, but because I have a vested interest in this recipe remaining profitable for my profession.

Now, maybe the guy has a source for the materials needed to create the recipe, so he wants to price his metagems to move, since they cost him less to make. Fine. But he could have easily listed his metagems at 600g or even 620g, and they would have sold just as quickly. That's what I mean about irresponsibly low pricing.

Eight was flooding the market - there are only 25 being sold on the entire server. 500g helps no one - you get 200g less profit than you would have, you make alchemy less viable as a profession, and you're just putting more money in a JC's pocket.

I'm ALL ABOUT pricing ruthlessness, but people need to follow the market.

Edit: For the record, I've already resold six of the eight metagems I relisted, earning me 600g in pure profit after all fees. But I don't even care about the profit. I care about buyers getting used to paying 650 for the metagem, not 500. It would be disastrous for all alchemists if too many buyers "held off" on paying 650 because they know they pop up for 500 regularly.

Takuan

GDJustin said:
As people reading this topic know, I've been playing the AH a lot since Cata dropped. One thing I'm *really* beginning to hate is people that price items irresponsibly low. Not high, but *low*.

Example:

The Cataclysm metagem, Shadowspirit Diamond, has been consistently selling for 650g, on my server. I've sold probably ~10 at this price, so I know they move at this range. The recipe is BARELY profitable, at this price. Some days you'll make ~200g on the recipe, which is totally healthy, but you have to invest 1100g to make that 200, and there's no guarantees. Other days you break even.

So I list 4 of them at 648g - normal.

I come back and check later, and someone has listed EIGHT at 500g. Now, I don't mind being undercut - that is business. But this isn't the same. This behavior is harmful to all high-level alchemists server-wide. I bought up all eight and relisted at my price of 648g. Not because I'm a dick, but because I have a vested interest in this recipe remaining profitable for my profession.

Now, maybe the guy has a source for the materials needed to create the recipe, so he wants to price his metagems to move, since they cost him less to make. Fine. But he could have easily listed his metagems at 600g or even 620g, and they would have sold just as quickly. That's what I mean about irresponsibly low pricing.

Eight was flooding the market - there are only 25 being sold on the entire server. 500g helps no one - you get 200g less profit than you would have, you make alchemy less viable as a profession, and you're just putting more money in a JC's pocket.

I'm ALL ABOUT pricing ruthlessness, but people need to follow the market.

Edit: For the record, I've already resold six of the eight metagems I relisted, earning me 600g in pure profit after all fees. But I don't even care about the profit. I care about buyers getting used to paying 650 for the metagem, not 500. It would be disastrous for all alchemists if too many buyers "held off" on paying 650 because they know they pop up for 500 regularly.
Aren't prices bound to decrease as Cata ages, though? In my mind, this is just a natural progression of the virtual economy. Isn't everything ridiculously overpriced now because everyone wants to be among the first to get x task accomplished?

GDJustin said:
I bought up all eight and relisted at my price of 648g.

That's how you gots to play it in the cutthroat world of WOW Auction Housing. If you don't have a big enough bankroll to control the market and buy out undercutters completely, you just can't rely on being able to sell at reasonable rates. And even then if the undercutters have a bigger bankroll than you, they'll just take your money and use it to price people out of the market elsewhere. That's raw, unbridled fake capitalism for you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom