• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft: Cataclysm |OT| of Who the hell is Deathwing, anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.
krypt0nian said:
Because its objectively true.

You have to wait two minutes to use it, tauren druids never have to wait to use it and never have to get out of flight form. It takes an entire GCD to start collecting if you have to use it. And it takes 1.5 seconds less for tauren. You will be faster than your own faction at collecting and you don't have to worry about mobs. Nelfs only have an advantage over non-tauren because they don't have to get out of flight form.

Yaweee

Stormwatch said:
I found that Deepholm had mostly Elementium nodes. You are probably better off going to Hyjal and flying around hitting the nodes there. That's what I ended up doing.

They increased the Obsidium rates in Deepholm a few days ago.

Still, Icecrown FTW. I'm so glad I did it that way, and I probably should have stayed there even longer.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Is there any storytelling in the game other than quest descriptions? I'm now L25 but don't recall seeing any. All the locations, buildings and characters look incredibly consistently thought through, would love a bit more of me lore.

Ferrio

Banned
Chittagong said:
Is there any storytelling in the game other than quest descriptions? I'm now L25 but don't recall seeing any. All the locations, buildings and characters look incredibly consistently thought through, would love a bit more of me lore.

Yes, complete with cutscenes and voice overs.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Yaweee said:
They increased the Obsidium rates in Deepholm a few days ago.

Still, Icecrown FTW. I'm so glad I did it that way, and I probably should have stayed there even longer.

For people who actually use mining for more than selling ores in the AH, Icecrown is still a bad zone. You wont lvl Engineering, Blacksmithing or Jewelcrafting with Saronites alone.

Ramirez

BriareosGAF said:
BC levelling is truly awful. I haven't rolled any new characters in ages for dread of that place. All the zones outside Zangarmarsh are just visually so depressing, as you mention.

Nagrand is depressing?

Ferrio

Banned
Chittagong said:
really? awesome. gotta continue killing enemies and finding items then to see them!

Not sure how much there is of it in the new old world, but once you hit the Lich expansion you see them in the major quest chains.

Ramirez said:
Nagrand is depressing?
Nah, you're right, Nagrand is the other nice zone. But Hellfire Peninsula, Terrokar Forest in the wastes, Shadowmoon Valley, Blade's Edge Mountains, and even Netherstorm are tiring on the eyes.

Belfast

Chittagong said:
really? awesome. gotta continue killing enemies and finding items then to see them!

Weelllll, most of them are quite a bit farther into the game, and to say that most of them have voice acting is a bit off, as well. But content does get increasingly "cinematic" in its presentation as you go along.

Bisnic

Chittagong said:

There is plenty in the new old world, probably more as you lvl up. There is nothing in Outlands(its almost 4 years old content anyway). Some in WOTLK(mostly those quests involving the Lich King). And tons in the high lvl Cataclysm zones.

cuevas said:
You have to wait two minutes to use it, tauren druids never have to wait to use it and never have to get out of flight form. It takes an entire GCD to start collecting if you have to use it. And it takes 1.5 seconds less for tauren. You will be faster than your own faction at collecting and you don't have to worry about mobs. Nelfs only have an advantage over non-tauren because they don't have to get out of flight form.

And Shadowmeld has usefulness in the entire game, not just herbing so again...objectively true.

What would I need my GCD for when I'm herbing anyway? :lol

Flib

krypt0nian said:
And Shadowmeld has usefulness in the entire game, not just herbing so again...objectively true.

You have to play as a night elf though, which invalidates any positives.

krypt0nian said:
You missed the point. When mobs are right on top of it and combat is inevitable, Nelfs rule supreme. Shadowmeld with its vanish component make them uber. I can gather between most hits too, but there are times when even a 0.5 cast makes no difference. Like back in the Icecrown fields with multiple mobs.

Nelf Druids are the ultimate flower pickers.
krypt0nian said:
You'd still be better off with Shadowmeld. Makes us perfect herbers.

Way to just change what you are trying to argue...

krypt0nian said:

Just because you say it's objectively true doesn't make it objectively true.

BriareosGAF said:
Nah, you're right, Nagrand is the other nice zone. But Hellfire Peninsula, Terrokar Forest in the wastes, Shadowmoon Valley, Blade's Edge Mountains, and even Netherstorm are tiring on the eyes.

Don't worry. With being constantly queued for dungeons with in Outland, was almost level 67 before finishing quests in Hellfire.

notworksafe

Ferrio said:
I find no issue with them, other than watching my health hover around death is a little intimidating.
Oh my god, yes! Seeing constant low health, even though intended, is still quite scary. :lol

Maybe its just europe but all random healers are such cunts. And every single wipe is always the tanks fault.

FUCK YOU MY INTERRUPT HAS A COOLDOWN!!!

Hixx

Subliminal said:
Maybe its just europe but all random healers are such cunts. And every single wipe is always the tanks fault.

Only done 1 heroic so far but holy shit the healer was a complete nob.

We get it, click the Lightwell. Not every single cast can be interrupted. He was a good player but he was so, so arrogant and impatient.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I'm really enjoying how quick the levelling is now.
I'm in the eastern plaguelands, which is seriously great btw, and am gaining a level every day. Which is really only like 2 hours maybe because I can't play for that long.

forgrim

Subliminal said:
I hate tanking heroics soooo much.

This. I've found pugging as a tank is far harder than pugging as a healer. At least I have control of keeping the group alive. As a tank, if i die, the entire group dies.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Chittagong said:

Started a new undead with cataclysm and the entire lvl 1-30 progression is chock full of cutscenes, voice, phased environments, and dramatic narrative. It dips a bit in the 30/40 doldrums, but picks up again in the 50-60's here and there, all dependent on which zones you choose to visit. Badlands for instance has many fantastic Deathwing introductory cameos.

Not sure how other races compare with their early game narrative flow, but the undead is insanely polished and well presented. You learn quite a bit as to what the forsaken are, the differences between them and the 'scourge' that the Lich King controlled, the tensions with joining the Horde, etc...

HixxSAFC said:
Only done 1 heroic so far but holy shit the healer was a complete nob.

We get it, click the Lightwell. Not every single cast can be interrupted. He was a good player but he was so, so arrogant and impatient.

Thats how all healers are. Press one button over and over again a bitch because the tank has 10000000 things to watch and managed to miss something

Bisnic

Subliminal said:

I wish they would reduce the cooldown of Counterspell for mages. Its the only interrupt we have, and its on a 24 secs cooldown. It sucks when you're the only one who even think of interrupting dangerous spells. Why not a short cooldown like rogues or warriors? :(

Evlar

Banned
I can honestly say I've never once bitched at a tank for missing something. On the exceedingly rare occasions I've chewed out a tank it's over embarrassing shit like a Pally tank not equipping a shield.

If you fail to pick up an add and they stick on me there are three possible outcomes: either I have Fade off cooldown and everything continues smoothly, or an on-the-ball DPS grabs it, or I suffer and die. If the first or second happen, who gives a shit? If the third, well, that's a wipe. Oh well. It's not like I'm doing anything productive with my time.
Bisnic said:
I wish they would reduce the cooldown of Counterspell for mages. Its the only interrupt we have, and its on a 24 secs cooldown. It sucks when you're the only one who even think of interrupting dangerous spells. Why not a short cooldown like rogues or warriors? :(
Not really different than other ranged interrupts, like Silence. I agree, it's due to the balance between melee and ranged.

Bisnic said:
Probably because it would effect pvp. Since you have to be in melee range to pummel or kick.

Flib

This is why I run with only guild healers pretty much. I love tanking the heroics, but watching my health meter is stressful as fuck. Though it is nice to actually have to watch cooldowns (though there is never any worse feeling than waiting too long to hit your last stand-type ability, only to realize it's too little too late).

That's why doing heroics as DPS is the best. Its the most relaxing thing to do, I can just sit in my chair drink tea and maybe watch some TV while the healer and tanking are trying to stay alive by the skin of their teeth.

Bisnic

Lostconfused said:
Probably because it would effect pvp. Since you have to be in melee range to pummel or kick.

I know, but stilll... When Counterspell is on cooldown, and i see this 5 secs casting spell happening and everyone ignoring it, i just wanna yell "INTERRUPT, YOU FUCKING IDIOTS!".

I don't see why so few people think about interrupting. Even during WOTLK, i liked doing this. Nothing more satisfying than stopping that mob from healing or casting a dangerous spell like that spider in OK, or the undeads on the hill of POS.

cuevas said:
Way to just change what you are trying to argue...

Just because you say it's objectively true doesn't make it objectively true.

I was pointing out that besides being perfect herbers we have the ultimate racial.

Nelfs uber alles.

Bisnic said:
I know, but stilll... When Counterspell is on cooldown, and i see this 5 secs casting spell happening and everyone ignoring it, i just wanna yell "INTERRUPT, YOU FUCKING IDIOTS!".
Because people are dumb. Hell right now my interrupts are free and i get 5% damage bonus if it stops anything.

Effect

Even with revamped content certain parts of the world (Kalimdor) are still empty it seems. Especially the areas that a Night Elf are suppose to naturally progress through. Playing as a Worgen I've been going from Gilneas, to Darkshore, to Ashenvale, to Stonetalon, and while one quest line took me to human outpost in the Barrens I decided not to finish those (after helping defend the one harbor) but go to Desolace instead. This whole storyline is just really entertaining. Yet the areas are so empty save for a handful of people on Dalaran. Joined a guild in hopes of having some conversation but I seem to be one of just three people that have been on in the past few days. Yet when I joined there was a good population. They were people that used to play Horde. Guess they went back. :(

As entertaining as the new content is, without any social interaction, I'm starting to get bored. Starting to only jump on for an hour to complete one quest hub then getting off. Only to come back on two hours later to do another section.

The leveling is a bit to fast as well. I'm in the right area I should be in by just doing the quest lines but they've been ranking green instead of yellow ever since I finished up Gilneas. I guess it's to make you feel like a hero since you can easily take care of things but that's only because you are several levels higher then the enemies you are fighting. Just a bit annoying is all.

Brandon F said:
Started a new undead with cataclysm and the entire lvl 1-30 progression is chock full of cutscenes, voice, phased environments, and dramatic narrative. It dips a bit in the 30/40 doldrums, but picks up again in the 50-60's here and there, all dependent on which zones you choose to visit. Badlands for instance has many fantastic Deathwing introductory cameos.

Not sure how other races compare with their early game narrative flow, but the undead is insanely polished and well presented. You learn quite a bit as to what the forsaken are, the differences between them and the 'scourge' that the Lich King controlled, the tensions with joining the Horde, etc...

Yeah, Silverpine in particular is fantastic. One of my favorite redone zones.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
How is the Stormscale server? I'm currently playing Horde on Illidan and want a server to send my lvl 60 pre-nax Hunter for a good Alliance server.

Brandon F said:

Yes, the whole "logical" zone sequence for an Undead character (Tirisfal Glades -> Silverpine Forest -> Hillsbrad Foothills -> Arathi Highlands -> Hinterlands -> Western Plaguelands -> Eastern Plaguelands -> Badlands -> Searing Gorge -> Burning Steppe) is incredibly well done. Almost every zone has a major storyline, with some really funny and sad quests.

webrunner

BrokenSymmetry said:
Yes, the whole "logical" zone sequence for an Undead character (Tirisfal Glades -> Silverpine Forest -> Hillsbrad Foothills -> Arathi Highlands -> Hinterlands -> Western Plaguelands -> Eastern Plaguelands -> Badlands -> Searing Gorge -> Burning Steppe) is incredibly well done. Almost every zone has a major storyline, with some really funny and sad quests.

I think something here is an odd zone out:p

Trojita said:
How is the Stormscale server? I'm currently playing Horde on Illidan and want a server to send my lvl 60 pre-nax Hunter for a good Alliance server.
I'm on that server - there's a few other Gaffers but no current GAF guild yet. I'd be happy to befriend you and help out when needed. I've never experienced a queue time and the Alliance vs. Horde ratio is pretty balanced. I think it's like 60% Horde.

As it says in the OP - my characters are called Lamonster and Astelynne.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
BrokenSymmetry said:

My dissapointment is that it just peters out once you hit Arathi. It picks up steam again in the plaguelands, but not in the same feel. Lots of nice vignettes and characters to interact with, but the whole of the 'Forsaken' storyline that consumed the early zones all but dissapears. Just finished Blasted Lands at 61 and am heading into BC zones. I was just bummed it didn't carry the narrative strand more tightly.

Seemed Blizzard didn't know how to exactly manage all the starting zone plotlines and merge them as the mid-high zones converged all of the races. Considering all of the Deathwing hype, I half expected more introductory stuff into that plotline with the Shattering. Kind of a preview to the 80-85 zone storylines added. Instead just a bunch of loose unrelated vignettes. Improved from old world regardless, but nothing is really cohesive or integral to the true story lore once you hit level 30 it seems. A missed opportunity really.

Ignignort

I realise I am probably really late to this but if people are after a easy way to get Volatile Earth.

The first quest hub that you land at in Mount Hyjal has a heap of earth elementals that spawn around the area, you can mine these and you'll either get a grey which you can sell for around 50s or a Volatile Earth, I tried this for probably about 10-15 mins and made about 40G in vendor trash and 8 earths

Ferrio

Banned
Ignignort said:
I realise I am probably really late to this but if people are after a easy way to get Volatile Earth.

The first quest hub that you land at in Mount Hyjal has a heap of earth elementals that spawn around the area, you can mine these and you'll either get a grey which you can sell for around 50s or a Volatile Earth, I tried this for probably about 10-15 mins and made about 40G in vendor trash and 8 earths

Ya i stumbled upon that last night when i was doing my jewelcrafting quest. The ground is just covered with their corpses just went around mining them all.

Lostconfused said:
That's why doing heroics as DPS is the best. Its the most relaxing thing to do, I can just sit in my chair drink tea and maybe watch some TV while the healer and tanking are trying to stay alive by the skin of their teeth.

Yeah after my priest went shadow for leveling in Northrend I never really went back to a healing build, it's just too relaxing to DPS your way through the dungeon queue. Although the waits can suck for DPS compared to healer/tank, but it's easy to keep busy.

evangd007

Subliminal said:

Us healers have a chip on our shoulder due to how awful Blizz has made healing. It has gone from health management to mana management where we can't use 90% of our spells because they'll make us go oom in an instant. Hell, last night I let someone die and battle rezzed him because rebirth got him to full health for free.

So don't take healer rage personally. We are frustrated and take it out on the nearest person.

Got to 85, then went and farmed/bought the last materials to get to 525 blacksmithing. I haven't done more than a couple of instances with no drops to speak of, and I'm heroic ready already just from my crafted gear. Awesome. Now it's time to milk the AH for all it's worth with ilevel 339 stuff until it runs dry.

strem

My hunter tames Terropane (not sure if I spelled that right) he is the lava looking turtle. From what I can gather he has around a 15 hour spawn time. I camped him for 4 days and was just about to leave for work and thought let me check one more time. And there he was. He was a beast. A level 81 elite that does some fire laser thing that was hitting my 85 hunter for 10000 damage a second. The last tick of damage I resisted 2k of the 10k and tamed him with 2345 health left out of the 98000 health I have. I'm so excited and can't wait to get home to show him off

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Race change from tauren druid to troll druid tomorrow :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom