• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft: Cataclysm |OT| of Who the hell is Deathwing, anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakeh111

Been tanking non heroics gearing up some and my god I have a heart attack every run and blow CDs all the time, Im even healing myself (prot pala) during fights because the healer is scaring the fuck outta me.

Chittagong

Gold Member
every now and then I'm seeing small some boxes with a checkerboard on the ground.. I take it they are for some resource the game is not able to find.

Oh and wow, completed Battle of Thandol Span and defeated Calamoth Ashbeard. The first battle in the game that felt hectic. Hopefully more to come.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Ok, I know you're all sick of my talking about the AH but... I gotta share. I listed a bunch of stuff this morning, and come back later this afternoon to find that I've had my BEST AH day I've ever had. I have over 7,000g waiting for me to pick up. o.0

A lot of the stuff I expected to sell (cheap-ish Shadowspirit Diamonds, Volatile Airs) but a lot of it was put up strictly on a "let's give it a try" basis and even most of those auctions sold. I dunno who is spending 175g on a Potion of Treasure Finding but... god bless them.

In fact despite all my big talk of setting high prices, I could have made much more.

Edit: as I was typing this I sold 3x Flask of Draconic Mind (http://www.wowhead.com/item=58086) for 200g each...

Edit2: Despite all my AH theorycrafting and AH related posts, in truth there is often times no true pattern to it, or true foolproof methodology. Some days everything is cheap and nothing sells, other days everything is expensive and everything sells. *shrug*

I love queuing up for BC dungeons. Watching people wait to decide if they really want to do it. Then seeing their reactions as they experience the dungeon, and sometimes do poorly. You can always tell a Wrath player.

:lol

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
I is sad :-(, I just recently got my first main character up to 60 in eastern kingdoms, I went running in glee to see my flight trainer thinking I could obtain a flying license only to find out I need to purchase Cata just so I can fly in this area :-(

lowrider007 said:
I is sad :-(, I just recently got my first main character up to 60 in eastern kingdoms, I went running in glee to see my flight trainer thinking I could obtain a flying license only to find out I need to purchase Cata just so I can fly in this area :-(

A few people have been running into that confusion actually. You are not alone. I was questing and pvping with some friends and one of them went running off to learn flying and was quite displeased to realize they needed the expansion for old world flight. I found it amusing, but I could understand his sentiment.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
BrassMonkey1010 said:
So I am installing WoW (just regular WoW for now) and I do not know what is a good race to start with..any advise?

Race is just a cosmetic choice. Pick the one you like the most.

strem

BrassMonkey1010 said:
So I am installing WoW (just regular WoW for now) and I do not know what is a good race to start with..any advise?
Nightelf is always the right answer. We are hated by everyone and it's awesome. If you want to piss people off more, go NE hunter like I did so many years ago

Alex

They're very off kilter in general, some races have a decent passive, some have a decent active. You may, if your'e very picky about your content venue and class, pick a specific race, but I only pick on aesthetics, personally.

Goblin is the clear cut winner though, so well rounded, interesting and useful for everyone, they'll never make or break much but I wish they'd redesign the entire pool to be more akin to Goblins, that'd be very fun.

Dresden

VAIL said:
Cosmetic, I suppose racial passives are meaningless then?
No, some are obviously better suited for particular classes than others, but the differences aren't game-breaking, so just choose one you're happy staring at for the hundreds of hours you'll spend playing.

Shinjitsu

Banned
VAIL said:
Cosmetic, I suppose racial passives are meaningless then?

They aren't meaningless, but they are really minor in the long run. Unless you really want to min max.

Just pick what you like the look of most. You will be looking at your character for a long time.

Negator

I've been glued to my computer screen ever since this damn game came out!

I went to bed at 7 AM and woke up at 2:30 PM! It's like I went back in time and became a teenager again.

No45

Tanked for the first time last night (level 21 warrior), I was petrified! D:

It didn't go too bad though. I did tank Godfrey the wrong way around so everyone got hit by his AoE, but managed to get through it the second time. The group were incredibly nice too, which always helps. :)

I rolled this character to tank, but damn if the questing in Silverpine wasn't so fucking good I just want to continue with that. The last quest with Sylvanas/Godfrey/Crowley is just insanely awesome - I don't think I've ever felt that connected with the wider world in this game before.

I'm a relatively casual player, obviously. :)

Lain

BrassMonkey1010 said:

Since it is just regular WoW, I'd suggest Undead, Gnome or Nightelf. They all have their perks, and some funny animations (at least for female characters, I'm not fond of the male characters in WoW, except for Goblins, they seem to rock).
If it was with the expansions, Goblins hands down, or Blood Elf/Goat (Paladin, because Paladin is the best class there is).

GDJustin said:
Ok, I know you're all sick of my talking about the AH but... I gotta share.

I enjoy reading your AH posts and I am actually complaining about the same thing you were yesterday over in the WoW OT. Stupid people who do not know how to undercut and really bring down a market.

No45

Evil Benius said:
I enjoy reading your AH posts and I am actually complaining about the same thing you were yesterday over in the WoW OT. Stupid people who do not know how to undercut and really bring down a market.
I'm trying to make a little money at the moment (new realm), and there's some utterly ridiculous undercutting going on. :(

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Ignignort said:
I realise I am probably really late to this but if people are after a easy way to get Volatile Earth.

The first quest hub that you land at in Mount Hyjal has a heap of earth elementals that spawn around the area, you can mine these and you'll either get a grey which you can sell for around 50s or a Volatile Earth, I tried this for probably about 10-15 mins and made about 40G in vendor trash and 8 earths
as a tailor looking for the cheapest ways to make Dreamcloth, I may take you up on this. It's nice that they give us 6 daily CDs for dreamcloth... but the price from element to element is so different than one piece of dreamcloth can take 360g to make (water), and another piece of dreamcloth takes 960g to make (air or fire). being able to farm for like 2-3 hours a day to make at least two dreamcloths a day would help greatly.

Evil Benius said:
it was discussed quite extensively yesterday, but the bottom line is that sellers can't bring the market down. It's impossible. WoW's AH is a buyer's market. Even on transparent items like gems, if they are truly transparent, someone will just spam trade of their guild looking for the gem to be cut. On things like mats or equipment, people will pay what they feel is reasonable, and more often than not it's based on how much money they have (aka how much blizz is funneling into the game) rather than what a competitive price is on the AH.

Anyway, discussing markets crashing a week after release is stupid. The market is ALWAYS unstable at launch and ridiculously high as well as people who want to be first and either have a ton of gold saved or just buy from gold farmers want to get everything out of the way. The market will stabilize itself in a month or less and prices will then continue along predictable plot points.. No amount of undercutting will change that. At that point the only real change in price has to be initiated by blizzard in either frequency of drops or requirements of mats.

kai3345

Banned
I'm currently 67, whats the fastest zone that will get me to 68 so I can get out of this BC content and start me some Lich King quests

Yaweee

kai3345 said:
I'm currently 67, whats the fastest zone that will get me to 68 so I can get out of this BC content and start me some Lich King quests

Netherstorm. It might even be worth sticking around there until 69 or 70; big, fast zone.

borghe said:
it was discussed quite extensively yesterday, but the bottom line is that sellers can't bring the market down. It's impossible. WoW's AH is a buyer's market. Even on transparent items like gems, if they are truly transparent, someone will just spam trade of their guild looking for the gem to be cut. On things like mats or equipment, people will pay what they feel is reasonable, and more often than not it's based on how much money they have (aka how much blizz is funneling into the game) rather than what a competitive price is on the AH.

Anyway, discussing markets crashing a week after release is stupid. The market is ALWAYS unstable at launch and ridiculously high as well as people who want to be first and either have a ton of gold saved or just buy from gold farmers want to get everything out of the way. The market will stabilize itself in a month or less and prices will then continue along predictable plot points.. No amount of undercutting will change that. At that point the only real change in price has to be initiated by blizzard in either frequency of drops or requirements of mats.

I realize that over time prices naturally come down as people find other avenues for selling stuff, but that should happen due to people just not buying stuff on the AH at the current price being asked. There is no need to come in and drop the price on an item by 500G when I have easily been selling 5-6 of the item a day. The market obviously could handle what was being asked and now everyone is going to be making less. Pretty much every auction for the items in questions are now down at the new price since everyone cancelled and relisted. Unless the AH empties out completely (will not happen) this is now the new price of those items. Not because of buyers refusing to buy at the old price, but due to a guy undercutting by a good 30%.

hamchan

Evil Benius said:
I realize that over time prices naturally come down as people find other avenues for selling stuff, but that should happen due to people just not buying stuff on the AH at the current price being asked. There is no need to come in and drop the price on an item by 500G when I have easily been selling 5-6 of the item a day. The market obviously could handle what was being asked and now everyone is going to be making less. Pretty much every auction for the items in questions are now down at the new price since everyone cancelled and relisted. Unless the AH empties out completely (will not happen) this is now the new price of those items. Not because of buyers refusing to buy at the old price, but due to a guy undercutting by a good 30%.
That's just the consequences of it being a market economy. The price will keep going down until it reaches equilibrium. People undercutting you by a crapload is just the nature of competition.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Evil Benius said:
I realize that over time prices naturally come down as people find other avenues for selling stuff, but that should happen due to people just not buying stuff on the AH at the current price being asked.
This is exactly what happens.

There is no need to come in and drop the price on an item by 500G when I have easily been selling 5-6 of the item a day.
You kind of make my point above. Someone undercuts by 500g but you're still selling your 5-6 a day at 500g more. Again, WoW AH is a buyer's market. It rarely comes down to if the buyer feels the price is fair and more often than not comes down to how comfortably they can afford it given its relative importance.

The market obviously could handle what was being asked and now everyone is going to be making less. Pretty much every auction for the items in questions are now down at the new price since everyone cancelled and relisted. Unless the AH empties out completely (will not happen) this is now the new price of those items. Not because of buyers refusing to buy at the old price, but due to a guy undercutting by a good 30%.
I don't quite believe this. That is to say, I don't believe for a second that anyone canceled their items and relisted at the lower price right away. There's no incentive. You lose 100% of your deposit either way, so most sellers will let their auction expire and then relist. And if their auctions are in fact expiring, of course they are going to lower the prices.. it's basic auctioning 101. But here's where I am confused. If you are selling 5-6 a day, and their auctions are expiring unsold at the higher prices causing them to lower their prices on the relist, then how are you selling 5-6 a day? I'm actually not calling you a liar.. just arguing that maybe there is more going on here than you are seeing. Your entire argument hinges on the concept that they are looking at the lower prices and that's scaring them to lose the deposit completely without a chance for sale just to relist at a lower price, which makes no sense.

anyway, I don't wish you guys bad sales.. hopefully everything works itself out.. and with the AH, getting your panties in a wad a week after the expansion releases seems a bit premature. prices will stabilize and everyone (buyers and sellers) will just adjust to where they end up at.

No45 said:
Tanked for the first time last night (level 21 warrior), I was petrified! D:
heh.. I was the exact same way my first times tanking as both prot war and bear. it never gets any easier your first time out tanking with a new class. but it rarely goes as horribly as you think it will (really, the times it goes bad are usually because things are going REALLY bad. either the tank is truly awful, or there are healing or aggro problems there). two things to remember as a tank... play with the camera pulled back so you can see mobs breaking off and going after dps (because they NEVER run back to you when they get aggro), and almost always keep the boss turned away from the players.

No45

I learned the last one of those last night. xD

I'll work on the camera too. I always have it pulled out a little way regardless of what I play (I've played a lot more as DPS/healer), but it can be tricky in tight places.

borghe said:
I don't quite believe this. That is to say, I don't believe for a second that anyone canceled their items and relisted at the lower price right away. There's no incentive. You lose 100% of your deposit either way, so most sellers will let their auction expire and then relist. And if their auctions are in fact expiring, of course they are going to lower the prices.. it's basic auctioning 101. But here's where I am confused. If you are selling 5-6 a day, and their auctions are expiring unsold at the higher prices causing them to lower their prices on the relist, then how are you selling 5-6 a day? I'm actually not calling you a liar.. just arguing that maybe there is more going on here than you are seeing. Your entire argument hinges on the concept that they are looking at the lower prices and that's scaring them to lose the deposit completely without a chance for sale just to relist at a lower price, which makes no sense.

It does happen because what is 65 silver to cancel an auction when you are selling the item for 1500G? Also I am selling 5-6 a day because I cancel my auction as soon as someone undercuts me. Obviously it is working because I have made 70K gold in the last two days. Which of course means I guess I am going to get little sympathy here :lol

I think a lot of this behavior really depends on what server you are on. People are ruthless with the Mal'Ganis AH.

Subliminal said:
Thats how all healers are. Press one button over and over again a bitch because the tank has 10000000 things to watch and managed to miss something

The fuck are you talking about, try healing as a priest, one button pfft. I healed all the way through vanilla to wrath and the biggest problem with so called "tanks" was that they literally just grabbed everything in sight an expected to be healed through it, most of the time wearing shit gear and or not even close to being stat capped. Wrath was the worst, it promoted this type of tanking and now they are butt hurt today because those days are over. They actually have to mark targets instead of facerolling. 99.9% of the time if a wipe was caused in wrath it was due to a shit tank or shit dps who couldn't be bothered to wait for proper threat to build.
This was also a problem with tanks in heirloom gear in lower vanilla/bc zones, they would try and pull everything and hope the AOE dmg was there from dps to drop everything, then freak if it didn't work out that way. God forbid they would wait for healer mana in their ADD ridden quest to round up the whole dungeon.

RPGCrazied

hamchan said:
What's the big money target for this game anyways? Why am I saving up all this money?

Epic flying? Some pets are very expensive. The mechno-hog? I think there is a goblin kocart you can buy now too. I think the vial of shifting sands is boe now too. I think thats around 50k though.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
hamchan said:
What's the big money target for this game anyways? Why am I saving up all this money?
For this expansion?

310% Flying, Turn-into-a-dragon mount, Guild rewards

I think those are the big money sinks this time around

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
The Lamonster said:
details please

Alchemists can turn into a dragon. And you can also have a passenger i think.

It's not a potion they can sell to others as far as i know. Correct me if im wrong.

Bisnic said:

It's not a potion they can sell to others as far as i know. Correct me if im wrong.

With the latest patch I believe it is no longer BoP so get that gold ready

Yaweee

Bisnic said:

They un-BoP'ed it, so now anybody can use it. It's just, like, 50k MINIMUM to make, probably more.

RPGCrazied said:
Wow, you get some easy blues in mount hyjal. I just got like 3, and they were just turn in quests.

Many quest chains in any of the new zones end in blues.

mclem

Bisnic said:

Recently changed, now BoE

hamchan

Awww I already bought the 310% flying, I suppose the rest of the money just goes into cool looking optional things.

I remember struggling hard to get the epic mount at level 60 back in the day.

Nostalgic Nightmare said:
The fuck are you talking about, try healing as a priest, one button pfft. I healed all the way through vanilla to wrath and the biggest problem with so called "tanks" was that they literally just grabbed everything in sight an expected to be healed through it, most of the time wearing shit gear and or not even close to being stat capped. Wrath was the worst, it promoted this type of tanking and now they are butt hurt today because those days are over. They actually have to mark targets instead of facerolling. 99.9% of the time if a wipe was caused in wrath it was due to a shit tank or shit dps who couldn't be bothered to wait for proper threat to build.
This was also a problem with tanks in heirloom gear in lower vanilla/bc zones, they would try and pull everything and hope the AOE dmg was there from dps to drop everything, then freak if it didn't work out that way. God forbid they would wait for healer mana in their ADD ridden quest to round up the whole dungeon.

I <3 you. :lol

Wrath dungeons have really ruined Wow. People don't know how to play their roles correctly. Especially tanks and mages.

Magnus

Dresden said:
No, some are obviously better suited for particular classes than others, but the differences aren't game-breaking, so just choose one you're happy staring at for the hundreds of hours you'll spend playing.

This, 100%. You're an idiot if you hate what you're looking at for hundreds of hours just to have +5% to a skill.

Subliminal said:
Thats how all healers are. Press one button over and over again a bitch because the tank has 10000000 things to watch and managed to miss something

Jesus Christ, you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Game is riddled with far more stupid tanks and dps/cc'ers than healers in my experience. Healing is the mos stressful (but sometimes, the most rewarding) job in this game.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Nostalgic Nightmare said:
This is correct. The only problem with healing now (why most find it frustrating.. not why it isnt fun) is that in PUG groups the stress comes from babysitting everyone else. Healers need to instruct DPS (and tanks now that every moron is queuing up as Tank to get around 1.5 hour wait times) how to do their job. My idea of fun isnt telling mages to sheep and then telling people not to AoE thus breaking sheep.

Blizzard made these changes to healers so other classes would learn how to play and to stall progression. What they should do next is make it so Energy doesnt regen unless something is sapped or Focus doesnt regen unless something is trapped.. etc. Because of these changes to healing (healing is still easy just stressful because of the above.. its also so fucking boring now) ive rerolled DPS and will only heal in BGs. i can wait an hour or two to get in a dungeon while i farm herbs or do archeology.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom