• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft: Cataclysm |OT| of Who the hell is Deathwing, anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Been revisiting the BC zones now that I have completely leveled through 'the Shattering' content with my undead.

~4 years later it actually still holds up better than everyone in this thread is letting on. The zones are still visually intricate and interesting, the questlines all have long plot threads to progress through that often tie in greatly with the major conflict erupting in the zone. There is just an obscene amount of content, and this ties into it's current biggest problems.

BC has so many factions to befriend, so many dangling carrot rewards to push for, so many dungeons and instances to explore; it is a shame that it all is so null and void with the newer content. It's a completely needless gap of 10 levels. Overwhelming really given how much it offers, and then you hit lvl 70 after experiencing a FRACTION of what it delivers and never look back. A total wash that I hope Blizzard eventually does revisit and clean up. It's actually surprising Blizz would even charge for this content now, especially with the 20% xp increase that devalues the entire expansion.

As for it's 'dated' comments. Really, only the extremely low drop rate for quest items is holding it back. Phasing would help, but all told there -is- a lot here to appreciate, but it's time has come and gone.

Brandon F said:
Been revisiting the BC zones now that I have completely leveled through 'the Shattering' content with my undead.

~4 years later it actually still holds up better than everyone in this thread is letting on. The zones are still visually intricate and interesting, the questlines all have long plot threads to progress through that often tie in greatly with the major conflict erupting in the zone. There is just an obscene amount of content, and this ties into it's current biggest problems.

BC has so many factions to befriend, so many dangling carrot rewards to push for, so many dungeons and instances to explore; it is a shame that it all is so null and void with the newer content. It's a completely needless gap of 10 levels. Overwhelming really given how much it offers, and then you hit lvl 70 after experiencing a FRACTION of what it delivers and never look back. A total wash that I hope Blizzard eventually does revisit and clean up. It's actually surprising Blizz would even charge for this content now, especially with the 20% xp increase that devalues the entire expansion.

As for it's 'dated' comments. Really, only the extremely low drop rate for quest items is holding it back. Phasing would help, but all told there -is- a lot here to appreciate, but it's time has come and gone.

You've summed it up eloquently. I think a simple solution to this would be to push the Wrath dungeon levels higher. Perhaps. I need to think about it more, but for now that's my uninformed opinion.

Chris R

KibblesBits said:
Once you get your boat 1kneedles is tolerable to fun.
didn't see any boat and didn't see any obvious quests to get me one. Might have been better with a boat but to just try to cross the zone with no prior info in it sucked.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Brandon F said:

Yeah i really hate how they make old expansion content reluctant with every new expansion. I'm surprised they don't use the heroic system to have it scale in level. Like say have all the heroic BC dungeons scale to 85. Of course, if they put the old BC instances along with the WotLK & Cata instances in the dungeon finder, it would probably annoy people who want to experience the new Cata instances, plus there's the factor that the BC instances might be to dated in comparison to the new Cataclysm instances.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Has anyone calculated the total XP bonus someone could be getting when leveling an alt? It seems very crazy, these days.

Easily obtainable bonuses:
+10% Heirloom Shoulders
+10% Herloom Chest
+5% Guild Level 2
+5% Guild Level 6

Eventually Obtainable bonuses:
+5% Heirloom Cloak (Guild Level 10)
+10% Heirloom Head (Guild Level 20)

Other misc bonuses:
+5% Heirloom ring (Win Northrend fishing weekly)
+100% rest XP
+300% Recruit-a-friend

Did I miss anything? Leaving out things like the fishing ring and guild rewards that won't pop for weeks/months & R-A-F, a new alt could very realistically have +30% XP from two heirlooms and guild perks. Combined with a little overnight rest, and an alt would fly through the levels I'm guessing

It'll be about ~90 days until guilds hit level 20, at which point the easily obtainable bonus will be 45%, + rest...

I came back to WoW after a year away, and had 80 Argent Crusade champion seals. So that's one heirloom. Earned about 1K justice points, getting me very close to my 2nd.

Chris R

Honestly, the time it took me to do 1-58 wasn't too long anyways, and the zones flowed perfectly from one to another with no exp bonuses. The only time I had issues with levels was when I decided to skip Burning Steppes and go straight to the Swamp. Doing that left me half a level short of 58 (Elwyn->Westfall->Redridge->Duskwood->NSTV->WPL->EPL->Badlands->Searing Gorge->Swamp->Blasted Lands)

Sure if this is the 235239 time you have leveled a character go ahead and get those bonuses to power through shit, but seeing as this was my first Alliance character I really dug into the quests/zones. Seeing stuff from the other side was fun after playing 8 or 9 60+ horde characters.

Brandon F said:

~4 years later it actually still holds up better than everyone in this thread is letting on. The zones are still visually intricate and interesting.

Having just leveled my Worgen through BC I disagree, I think BC contains the most unattractive zones in the game. Hellfire to me is just a depressing zone, I hate the feel and look of the place - it was a real chore to power through it after having just leveled through the Shattering content. Blade's Edge is bland and brown with more bland and brown, theres a few patches of color here and there but mostly like Hellfire visually unappealing to me. Zangermarsh and Netherstorm each suffer form the same problem of having one over bearing color just vomiting itself all over the zone, purple in Netherstorms case and blue in Zanger's, "ugh" is my feeling about those zones. Shadow moon is just a slop job of black and green. Nagrand and Terrokar are to me the bright spots of BC visually as far the zones as a whole go. I will give major props to the art guys for 'The Spawning Glen' area in zanger, thats one of the few areas in BC that was really impressive.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So I just completed the Worgen intro stuff, and made it out to the real world. Fuck'n badass quest line, and I really like that style. I was semi depressed when I got on the boat despite all the change in the rest of the content cause I'd rather play something in the worgen style right now instead.

rhfb said:
didn't see any boat and didn't see any obvious quests to get me one. Might have been better with a boat but to just try to cross the zone with no prior info in it sucked.

You pretty much have to go work with the Goblins and Gnomes and handle their 'drama' for a bit. It's actually a really nice quest line that involves pirates, bar fights, deep sea diving, and emergency rescue.

The goblin and the gnome having a dance off, (dancing together perhaps? Blizz is being very inclusive lately...) are amusing.

glaurung

Since Cataclysm hit, I started a new undead hunter. Hunters are pretty much the only class I like to play.

Anyway, the new stuff starting from Brill and all the way down to Gilneas is awesome. And I managed to get exalted with Undercity by the time I hit 22.

Zaptruder

Banned
glaurung said:
Since Cataclysm hit, I started a new undead hunter. Hunters are pretty much the only class I like to play.

Anyway, the new stuff starting from Brill and all the way down to Gilneas is awesome. And I managed to get exalted with Undercity by the time I hit 22.

Hunters are to lag as penises are to vaginas.

Eteric Rice

Hey GAF!

2hic9hg.png

You jelly? :D

pix

Eteric Rice said:
Hey GAF!

I got mine yesterday as well. Feels good man. Im trying to get the Sirocco of the Sands. Tol'Vir digsites suck :( Capped at 525 now though.

Rares Completed:
Wind Chimes
Mirror
Druid Priest statue
Fossilized Hachling
Fossilized Raptor
Wisp Amulet
Queen Azshara's Robes

Working On:
Clockwork Gnome Pet
Bearded Axe
Draenai Thing

There really should be another option in the need/greed system. If you're greed rolling, you're competing against the rest of the group, and worse, against disenchanting. If the priest DE's that tank piece that the tank didn't want, you're screwed.

I currently play a DPS warrior and a DPS paladin, in both cases I intend to do some tanking later on. If there's a piece that's not obviously an upgrade for the tank, I ask before if I can need for offspec. I still need it more than the healer or other DPS.

That's why I love it when the tank is overgeared. Not only will he quite likely play well, he will also drop the loot to me :D

zlatko

Banned
Brandon F said:

Coming into this game as someone who only dabbled in Vanilla back on its launch it's a great but somewhat hollow experience so far up to level 69. The old zones are empty, Outland also has no one, and trying to get BC dungeon instances has officially become next to impossible as a Warrior for me. I only have 5 left it looks like to have them all done, but I level so quick trying to occupy time that it's damn pointless.

That's really my biggest issue as a newer player---you level too fast so you don't get to enjoy the content. It's not paced out well enough. They need to retweak it somehow so I can fully enjoy my time to 85, and not just make it a quick romp. :(

SiegfriedFM said:
There really should be another option in the need/greed system. If you're greed rolling, you're competing against the rest of the group, and worse, against disenchanting. If the priest DE's that tank piece that the tank didn't want, you're screwed.
Just wait in see if the tank rolls need or greed on it. Its not that hard.

Edit: Or just check the tanks gear your self. Or just roll need on it and if the tank makes a big deal of it just give him the piece.

zlatko said:
Coming into this game as someone who only dabbled in Vanilla back on its launch it's a great but somewhat hollow experience so far up to level 69. The old zones are empty, Outland also has no one, and trying to get BC dungeon instances has officially become next to impossible as a Warrior for me. I only have 5 left it looks like to have them all done, but I level so quick trying to occupy time that it's damn pointless.

That's really my biggest issue as a newer player---you level too fast so you don't get to enjoy the content. It's not paced out well enough. They need to retweak it somehow so I can fully enjoy my time to 85, and not just make it a quick romp. :(

You can turn off leveling you know. :)

ultron87

KibblesBits said:

I wish there was a way to turn off the triple XP you get from questing with a Recruit a Friended person. You burn through the zones so damn fast. And god forbid you do an instance.

No45

KibblesBits said:
I would love it if they allowed me to turn off the experience gains in dungeons, perhaps giving me cash or even count it towards something useful in the game (justice points?), so that I can level purely through questing. On this current character I've loved the first few areas (Tirisfal, Silverpine and Hillsbrad) so much that I've just wanted to quest, but as I'm learning to tank I obviously need to run some dungeons as I go. :(

Having said that, if the quality of Arathi and Hinterlands is indicative of the higher level zones in the Eastern Kingdoms perhaps LFD levelling might not be such a bad thing...

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
No45 said:
I would love it if they allowed me to turn off the experience gains in dungeons, perhaps giving me cash or even count it towards something useful in the game (justice points?), so that I can level purely through questing. On this current character I've loved the first few areas (Tirisfal, Silverpine and Hillsbrad) so much that I've just wanted to quest, but as I'm learning to tank I obviously need to run some dungeons as I go. :(

Having said that, if the quality of Arathi and Hinterlands is indicative of the higher level zones in the Eastern Kingdoms perhaps LFD levelling might not be such a bad thing...

I've heard Arathi Highlands & Hinterlands are among the zones that got the less updates in Cataclysm with Silithus. I think WPL follows Hinterlands, and this one is pretty good! It looks nothing like the original. And EPL, Badlands, Searing Gorge, Swamp, Blasted Lands also got pretty nice changes.

qwerty2k

where is the best site for warrior guides? Im total noob and have started a Human Warrior, currently lvl 15, haven't assigned a single talent point yet though 'caus i don't want to pick the 'wrong' ones, thing is im not even sure which are the right ones and what types od build are available/best for the warrior class, so any assistance would be appreciated.

No45

qwerty2k said:
where is the best site for warrior guides? Im total noob and have started a Human Warrior, currently lvl 15, haven't assigned a single talent point yet though 'caus i don't want to pick the 'wrong' ones, thing is im not even sure which are the right ones and what types od build are available/best for the warrior class, so any assistance would be appreciated.
I've found new low level Prot information really hard to come by. There's lots for levelling through Cata and Elitist Jerks has oodles of information for high-end tanking, but post 4.0.1 info is scarce. :(

I have found this thread though which has given me some nice pointers. Specifically this post on there.

No45

Does anyone know if there's a way to message Real ID friends outside of the game? I'd love to be able to use some web based messenger on the battle.net site to chat with people that are currently in game. :(

Raide

No45 said:
I've found new low level Prot information really hard to come by. There's lots for levelling through Cata and Elitist Jerks has oodles of information for high-end tanking, but post 4.0.1 info is scarce. :(

I have found this thread though which has given me some nice pointers. Specifically this post on there.

To be honest, just spec into something you can actually level with and ignore tanking until you get to 85. At low levels the gear is pretty standard for either spec, so you may as well go for the one that gets you up levels quickly.

You say Prot, so I am guessing Pala?

No45

I like to learn as I go personally, I find it a lot better that way. If I'm intending to play as a tank or healer class I will level that way, and usually won't bother with picking up dual spec either. :)

And Prot Warrior, not Paladin.

Raide

No45 said:
I like to learn as I go personally, I find it a lot better that way. If I'm intending to play as a tank or healer class I will level that way, and usually won't bother with picking up dual spec either. :)

And Prot Warrior, not Paladin.

http://www.wow-loot.com/lootlist/warrior/

Try the link above. If you want to gear up from lower levels, the site lists what dungeons and areas you need to head to for your gear. Not updated for Cata yet but you will figure that out as you go along.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
zlatko said:

Yep. As I said in my original post, it's almost a crime for Blizzard to be charging for anything below Cataclysm now. Burning Crusade is a dead zone filled with wonderful content that the community has moved beyond, and I imagine Lich King is about the same. The 20% xp gain CANNOT be opted out of, thus the progression balance is devalued. In it's prime, it was wonderful, and its again a shame that this section of content is so droll now. I can't imagine how new subscribers must feel trying to experience this content(especially the Lich King progression) for the first time, only to level through it so briskly with no community wherein.

Cataclysm is the new hotness currently, but BC and LK still demand a monetary supplement by the user, and while the 20% xp gain is nice for longtime players, the new ones are being shortchanged for paying in. A creative solution is needed, especially when the next expansions arrive.

Tarin02543

I have a 10 day demo version for offer that came with my battlenet card, this is not the free trial version which you can download from the interweb. Anyone want it? Perhaps a little trade?

Lenardo

Banned
LEVELING IMO is too fast.

for instance, level 80 shaman, grouped with a level 80 hunter

we did all of hyjal
all of vashir
and maybe 1/3rd of deepholm and we hit 85.

for shits and giggles, i am going to make a rogue char

and see how far i can level- without killing anything and doing Zero quests.

Magnus

There's no such thing as leveling that's too fast, not after you already have one capped main.

You people are crazy.

:lol

I'm not even considering another alt for 1-85 until we have access to the helm/pants from guild perks, to add to the existing heirlooms and Fast Track perks.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Lenardo said:
LEVELING IMO is too fast.

for instance, level 80 shaman, grouped with a level 80 hunter

we did all of hyjal
all of vashir
and maybe 1/3rd of deepholm and we hit 85.

for shits and giggles, i am going to make a rogue char

and see how far i can level- without killing anything and doing Zero quests.

Did you do a lot of instances betwen those zones? Rested a lot inside inns?

Because i did all of Vashjir -> all of Deepholm -> All of Uldum -> a good part of Twilight Highlands before i hit 85. But i only did Throne of Tides, Stonecore, Lost City of Tolvir and Halls of Origination once(with their quests). I didnt have a lot of rested xp though.

Lain

Today I did my first cata dungeons. Did them with my paladin as tank instead of healer along with 2 guildmates. It was fun. We died some, and also wiped a couple times, but it was really fun.

Did Stonecore 2 times and The Vortex Pinnacle once. The boss fights were interesting. Moving out of the way from Ozrek, or getting inside the triangle for the last boss in Vortex Pinnacle are, for example, really nice touches that make the fights more challenging, because paying attention becomes fundamental in more than just pushing a button.
Too bad that healer stuff is mostly what dropped (with that nice int trinket from Stonecore dropping twice), so I had to watch and pass over stuff I wanted, as healer is my main role.
Also got 85, and my tanking stats got worse >< But at least now I have over 100k hp (as prot, 98k as holy)!

Wizman23

Banned
I have never played WoW before until yesterday. Sorry for the noobness of my question but what exactly do you get for leveling up? I'm assuming a skill tree eventually opens up when you hit a certain level? I'm a level 7 Human Mage and so far the game hasn't told me to spend any skill points etc...Heck I don't even know if that is how WoW functions I'm just basing my assumptions off of the other RPG's I have played.

pix

Wizman23 said:
I have never played WoW before until yesterday. Sorry for the noobness of my question but what exactly do you get for leveling up? I'm assuming a skill tree eventually opens up when you hit a certain level? I'm a level 7 Human Mage and so far the game hasn't told me to spend any skill points etc...Heck I don't even know if that is how WoW functions I'm just basing my assumptions off of the other RPG's I have played.

Get to level 10 and you will see. :)

idlewild_

Wizman23 said:

The skill tree opens up once you're L10

Meier

Heroics are SERIOUSLY hard on this expansion. Blizzard did a pretty good job with that.. really weeds out the "bads" (such a dumb term) as people like to say. The problem is that the queues are so absurd that you can get fucked really easily. I joined a random after my 37 minute queue only for literally everyone to leave right away -- it was really disappointing.

Ferrio

Banned
Meier said:
Heroics are SERIOUSLY hard on this expansion. Blizzard did a pretty good job with that.. really weeds out the "bads" (such a dumb term) as people like to say. The problem is that the queues are so absurd that you can get fucked really easily. I joined a random after my 37 minute queue only for literally everyone to leave right away -- it was really disappointing.

Odd my queues are like less than a minute...... :D

Did Stonecore 2 times and The Vortex Pinnacle once. The boss fights were interesting. Moving out of the way from Ozrek, or getting inside the triangle for the last boss in Vortex Pinnacle are, for example, really nice touches that make the fights more challenging, because paying attention becomes fundamental in more than just pushing a button.

The dragon fight in Vortex on heroic is so infuriating. End guy is easy mode compared to him.

joelseph

Meier said:

I have only done two heroics this expansion but all my time spent in dungeons has been with a full guild group. Highly recommended!

MY question about guild rep though, I just hit Guardian yet I have seen people that have been guardian for a while now, if it is capped and easy to hit the cap what the heck is going on?!

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Cataclysm is the new hotness currently, but BC and LK still demand a monetary supplement by the user, and while the 20% xp gain is nice for longtime players, the new ones are being shortchanged for paying in. A creative solution is needed, especially when the next expansions arrive.
It's not as bad in WotLk. Since you haft to hit 80 before you're allowed to set foot off Northend. And you can more or less do all the remaining quests in northend without leveling past the cataclysm content. As IIRC with the new XP system it's pretty much impossible (or extremely slow) to level up to 81 unless you go to the cataclysm zones.

How? I've never heard of this!
Think you can do it at your capital city.

LordAlu

Brandon F said:
How? I've never heard of this!
Just as KibblesBits says:
KibblesBits said:
That said, if you want to stop leveling talk to:
Behsten/Slahtz
You can talk to Behsten in Stormwind, or Slahtz in Orgrimmar, pay 10g and you'll stop gaining experience. Talk to them again, pay another 10g, and you can carry on gaining XP again.

Also "Best in Slots" :lol

Ozruk in Heroic Stonecore is by a wide margin the worst designed boss ever. There's not one thing about the fight that can be considered interesting or fun.

The Elemental Bulwark / Spell Reflect mechanic is just dumb and doesn't even work properly half the time.

No to upleveled old dungeons! They need weaned off that crutch of old successes, so as to better make NEW successes.

Someone said this a year or so ago about leveling while defending Classic and BC; without others, a major part of the experience is missing, you either plow thru the levels till its in the rearview mirror or be of the type that likes to explore every nook and cranny just cuz.

I was actually surprised they initiated yet more +XP% stuff with Cata, they did just get done with a slick redo of so much; it just exacerbates the problem when they have a more elegant solution.

Eteric Rice said:
Hey GAF!

2hic9hg.png

I now have a favorite mount of this expansion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom