• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT9| People still play this? Isn't it from 2004

v1perz53

It's a drawn out rep faction that takes longer to do on live than PTR and is part of a piece of content that has largely been viewed as either buggy, incomplete or poorly implemented.

I don't think it's that hard to understand, to be honest. Or was that more a rhetorical question? Can't tell over text.

I mean, it is safe to expect them to make things go faster on PTR so that people can test more aspects of it. And also, the point of PTR is to tune and change things. Not to mention, exalted was originally required, so changing it to Revered means they could slow down rep gain and it still ends up faster in the end to unlock flying.

I just don't get why people are so incredibly mad about something that is a very minor inconvenience. Hell, the WQs are boring, but again they take 20 minutes per day for someone to unlock flying in ~2 weeks. If that is too much for someone, I doubt they ever unlocked pathfinder part 1.

And while you say it has been buggy, I haven't encountered a single bug and I've done WQs every day and done every invasion in NA. And to be honest, 7.2 has been an awesome patch for me so far, it added an extra 20 minutes of content per day, basically an extra emissary, but everything I was doing before is still relevant with better rewards. And I'll eventually get flying, which I clearly don't need since I've been doing fine without it for months. I think people had hugely disproportionate expectations for this patch, it gave me exactly what I expected and what I wanted. It wasn't supposed to be like Tanaan or Timeless Isle, since it didn't invalidate any prior content, simply added to it.

Just seems like the amount of vitriol is hugely disproportionate to how bad things actually are with literally every aspect of 7.2. Patch has been great so far to me...

I mean, it is safe to expect them to make things go faster on PTR so that people can test more aspects of it. And also, the point of PTR is to tune and change things. Not to mention, exalted was originally required, so changing it to Revered means they could slow down rep gain and it still ends up faster in the end to unlock flying.

I just don't get why people are so incredibly mad about something that is a very minor inconvenience. Hell, the WQs are boring, but again they take 20 minutes per day for someone to unlock flying in ~2 weeks. If that is too much for someone, I doubt they ever unlocked pathfinder part 1.

And while you say it has been buggy, I haven't encountered a single bug and I've done WQs every day and done every invasion in NA. And to be honest, 7.2 has been an awesome patch for me so far, it added an extra 20 minutes of content per day, basically an extra emissary, but everything I was doing before is still relevant with better rewards. And I'll eventually get flying, which I clearly don't need since I've been doing fine without it for months. I think people had hugely disproportionate expectations for this patch, it gave me exactly what I expected and what I wanted. It wasn't supposed to be like Tanaan or Timeless Isle, since it didn't invalidate any prior content, simply added to it.

Just seems like the amount of vitriol is hugely disproportionate to how bad things actually are with literally every aspect of 7.2. Patch has been great so far to me...

So you understand why, you just don't agree or agree to the same level? That makes more sense.

I'm happy you haven't encountered any bugs. I'm sure you know that doesn't really mean anything overall. I'm glad you like the patch.

v1perz53

So you understand why, you just don't agree or agree to the same level? That makes more sense.

I'm happy you haven't encountered any bugs. I'm sure you know that doesn't really mean anything overall. I'm glad you like the patch.

Yea I guess to be more clear I don't wanna dismiss anyone else's dislike of the patch, I can see why some people would want more from it or be a bit annoyed. Its generally just the level of anger shown that confuses me. People saying that this will cause them to cancel their sub, or people saying the team should be fired for this patch are far more extreme than I would've imagined detractors would be feeling. I was expecting the major reaction to patch issues to be "eh that's kind of annoying", instead of the "devs and their families should be killed" I keep reading in so many places. Though I guess that's just a trend with the WoW community lately, everything is the worst thing ever or absolutely amazing, very few things are met with moderate response these days.

My guess is though 2 weeks from now no one will ever mention this rep again, it will be an issue forgotten about forever, and the devs know this which is why they aren't talking about it too much.

cdyhybrid

Yea I guess to be more clear I don't wanna dismiss anyone else's dislike of the patch, I can see why some people would want more from it or be a bit annoyed. Its generally just the level of anger shown that confuses me. People saying that this will cause them to cancel their sub, or people saying the team should be fired for this patch are far more extreme than I would've imagined detractors would be feeling. I was expecting the major reaction to patch issues to be "eh that's kind of annoying", instead of the "devs and their families should be killed" I keep reading in so many places. Though I guess that's just a trend with the WoW community lately, everything is the worst thing ever or absolutely amazing, very few things are met with moderate response these days.

My guess is though 2 weeks from now no one will ever mention this rep again, it will be an issue forgotten about forever, and the devs know this which is why they aren't talking about it too much.

That's the internet for you.

The patch was a mess and it's really annoying/disappointing, but this isn't anything new either so I'm not going to freak out about it.

Fjordson

Yeah, people go a bit extreme. But that's nothing new sadly. People have been threatening to cancel over every problem on the official forums for a decade now lol.

As for people forgetting about the rep two weeks from now, you're probably not wrong in the short term, but I think it speaks to a wider problem with Blizzard's love of time-gating content. It started in Warlords and it doesn't seem like they'll be stopping.

I still enjoy the game, but I really really hate that trend. It's frustrating not being able to put in extra work towards a goal I want to achieve (like a rep grind for example). The fact that after 7 months of this expansion they're time-gating something as big as flying is just really lame.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I'm returning to the game - as late as it is, but I have a real conundrum in here.
I can't choose between restoration druid and mistweaver monk.
I pretty much narrowed my choice of class to these two specs, and I like them both, in looks, in aesthetic, in themes, in gameplay, but obviously with the artifact it's unfeasible to consistently play both at the same time.

I'd appreciate if some of you could give your opinion on what would be the better one to go with.

Lain

^ when in doubt, go with druids.

I've twice summoned a demon who chain-casts aoe fear. I've been able to kill him the first time but I have no clue if the second time he got killed or he depopped as he feared me and everyone else so damn much I lost track of where he was.

Fjordson

An invasion just popped for US....11:30 on a Sunday night. Wtf.......

Blizzard's trolling people with this patch. Only explanation at this point.

list of things that makes me thing 7.2 is still in beta and the live server is now the PTR #768 - There's a world quest in front of the Tomb that won't spawn because the Nether Disruptor world boss is there, but it still shows up as if it exists

The Broken Shore flat out sucks. It makes Tanaan look absolutely brilliant in comparison. This is Legion's S.E.L.F.I.E. update. There's a meager amount of content stretched thin behind weekly quest gates. For PVE there's Sentinax farming, no thanks, a daily quest for a pitiful AP reward, a weekly quest, a couple of WQ's and rares that are becoming problematic to get because some people (mostly humans) have flying. Group finder and realm hopping can let you side-step this problem at least. The buildings are almost completely pointless beyond the tiny amount of rep you gain from war supply turn-ins.

I only need Revered with Legion Fall to complete Pathfinder Pt.2 but I'm not killing myself to grind out flying. Just making sure I can do what limited amount of things there are to do, primarily just world quests for the rep and war supplies, and then focusing on other activities. Mainly trying to finally acquire the Underlight Angler, farming artifact appearances and working on Paragon rep with the Court of Farondis and the Dreamweavers. I needs me a Cloudwing Hippogryph and Wild Dreamrunner.

I'm returning to the game - as late as it is, but I have a real conundrum in here.
I can't choose between restoration druid and mistweaver monk.
I pretty much narrowed my choice of class to these two specs, and I like them both, in looks, in aesthetic, in themes, in gameplay, but obviously with the artifact it's unfeasible to consistently play both at the same time.

I'd appreciate if some of you could give your opinion on what would be the better one to go with.

I know you only want to play one spec but Druids can fill every role--tank, heal, melee and ranged dps--and on top of that have the insane utility of travel form. Guardian Druid will let you faceroll through Legion PVE, at 102 you can acquire every other artifact for your class and once you're at cap you can worry about leveling the Resto artifact. At 110 you can buy the first 15 or 20 levels of Artifact Knowledge at 500 Order Hall Resources a pop. This will dramatically increase the amount of AP you gain. With a couple of World and Follower Quests you will have Resto leveled up in no time flat.

If you focus one toon first, I think it's feasible to eventually have an alt. 7.2 makes Artifact Knowledge and Power pretty manageable and easy to acquire once you're at cap, although Relics and Legendaries are another story. Relics are easier to deal with versus Legendaries though.

Lain

Finally reached my first prestige on my Paladin. Is there some mounts I can gain from this stuff, or are those relegated to higher Prestige? I don't think these tower WQs are gonna take me much higher, as I only reached the first Prestige because they lowered the experience needed for the first one.

Robin64

Finally reached my first prestige on my Paladin. Is there some mounts I can gain from this stuff, or are those relegated to higher Prestige? I don't think these tower WQs are gonna take me much higher, as I only reached the first Prestige because they lowered the experience needed for the first one.

The first time you hit Honor 50, you get a battle pet.
Second time is a new Artifact appearance.
Third time is a crappy pennant.
But then the fourth time is a mount!

Corpekata

Banned
Invasion at Valsharah and like ALL of the quests are order resources or gold. Like half the appeal of maybe doing them more than once beyond nethershards was the good quick AP they offered. Feels like it has to have been a concious tweak.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
More reasons to hate Broken Shore.

There's a WQ that spawned but you can't do cus the world boss makes all the mobs disappear. It's an elite WQ, too, so it's worth 1mil AP and a good chunk of rep.

Daniel R

Missing 759 rep for Revered Legionfall to unlock flying.

As a human 6 daily WQ gives me 6x82 rep = 492 rep
2 hand-ins of 100 supplies would give me 330 rep

492+330 = 822 rep.

I currently have 48 supplies. The world quests usually give 100-125 supplies.

The only way I get revered today is if my order hall mission for 25+50 supplies @167% success chance is successful. Or maybe if I can do enough rares or chests to make up for the lost supplies.

Crossing my fingers. Doing the invasion tonight on my main and 4 alts would be a lot nice if I could fly.

Lain

The first time you hit Honor 50, you get a battle pet.
Second time is a new Artifact appearance.
Third time is a crappy pennant.
But then the fourth time is a mount!

4 times?! Never going to get it lol.

Oh, got my Rethu lance and with that I can kiss those awful archaeology bi-weekly quests goodbye!

Daniel R

4 times?! Never going to get it lol.

Oh, got my Rethu lance and with that I can kiss those awful archaeology bi-weekly quests goodbye!

Auto-completing the 500 honor WQ and then doing the 3 towers with WQGF installed takes 15 minutes and gives me close to two honor levels a day.

I've literally done no PVP on this Mage since acquiring The Woolomancer and Frostfire Remeberance but I did go down to The Underbelly to fish Sightless Eyes until I got one of Conjuror Margoss' tokens that teleports you to his little hidden floating isle and somehow got 30/1000 through proximity alone.

mclem

Pleasant surprise, loosely related to the above: I haven't been keeping an eye on my numbers, but last night I got Underbelly Tycoon. Not too bad for a mostly-staunch PvEer (but who's still unafraid to trade blows in PvP if circumstances crop up, I just don't look out for it!)

lazygecko

The obsession over needing flying NOWNOWNOW has always been a bit perplexing to me as well. Especially those genuinely mad over people with the option to play all day will get it sooner.

I mean, it's not like flying is imperative to raid progression or anything. And there are more options for moving quickly on foot than ever before.

The obsession over needing flying NOWNOWNOW has always been a bit perplexing to me as well. Especially those genuinely mad over people with the option to play all day will get it sooner.

I mean, it's not like flying is imperative to raid progression or anything. And there are more options for moving quickly on foot than ever before.

Been saying for a bit (though I'm sure this has been the case for a good long time), but it seems that if it were up to a good portion of the loudest reddit/forum goers, then they'd rather mobs not even be in the game and they had the ability to teleport. It's very odd to me, but it seems like a good number of people don't actually want to....play the game.

I get that people play the game for different reasons, but it just constantly surprises me.

Mupod

Oh I didn't even know flying was in. I ran out of order resources and had to use my last blood of sargeras to buy artifact research...welp. No time for world quests, I have Persona 5. But yeah it's annoying how I'm expected to do all this other shit when I'm definitely in 'only log in to raid' mode.

After killing Trilliax last night we didn't really have a raid that would be able to work on progression so we went back to mythic EN and cleared it out. That was...easy. I got the plate shoulders off Xavius too which is great because I love the look of the DK tier 19 set and my guild is too scrubby to clear mythic Nighthold before Tomb of Sargeras.

I feel for blizzard to a certain extent. They never seem to make anyone happy, but they also continually make mistakes and counterintuitive design choices on the regular. Like with time gating or how inconsistent skins and mounts are acquired.

mclem

For what it's worth, I'm three invasions down, and only just a little into honored on rep - Unless I'm phenomenally unlucky, I'm going to have got all four invasions long before I reach the rep requirement. Now, admittedly I'm not farming the hell out of the WQs - but that's rather the point. I would like flying, but I don't need flying right now. It's going to make my life easier, a little, but not all that much. Lack of flying isn't holding me back, and I think I'll enjoy my time in the game more if I just take my time and play at a pace that won't frustrate me and burn me out, and it'll be a pleasant reward when I get there.

I'm curious: Why do people feel they want flying so urgently?

(On a personal level, I am pushing harder on the AP grind, because that gives real tangible long-term benefits. Still not pushing at a level that risks burnout - I know my limits - but I feel it's by far a more productive use of my time than actively pursuing flight)

Robin64

Honestly don't care about flying all that much with how easy it is to move around the Broken Isles. Flight paths are all over the place, we get a secondary hearthstone with the Dalaran one, and the Flightmaster's Whistle is wonderful.

Lomax

I'm sure many of you have noticed, but the Legion app is all kinds of broken when it comes to mission duration display. Just started a mission that said 4 hours, go look and it says completion is going to be in *16* hours. It's not even similar. Guess I shouldn't be surprised as broken as the rest of Legion has been, but up until this patch the app had been pretty reliable.

Daniel R

For what it's worth, I'm three invasions down, and only just a little into honored on rep - Unless I'm phenomenally unlucky, I'm going to have got all four invasions long before I reach the rep requirement. Now, admittedly I'm not farming the hell out of the WQs - but that's rather the point. I would like flying, but I don't need flying right now. It's going to make my life easier, a little, but not all that much. Lack of flying isn't holding me back, and I think I'll enjoy my time in the game more if I just take my time and play at a pace that won't frustrate me and burn me out, and it'll be a pleasant reward when I get there.

I'm curious: Why do people feel they want flying so urgently?

(On a personal level, I am pushing harder on the AP grind, because that gives real tangible long-term benefits. Still not pushing at a level that risks burnout - I know my limits - but I feel it's by far a more productive use of my time than actively pursuing flight)

The invasions part of the achievement has been removed, you only need revered rep and exploration of the broken isles now (and the old achievement for Pathfinder part 1).

Lain

I care about flying because I was tired of getting dismounted on day 1 of Legion. Because getting around without having to circumnavigate around mountains is great and not getting stuck on stupid slopes is even better. Because my alts can get around even without flying paths active. Because the kite wasn't good when trespassing over the sea, as the game moronically didn't consider it Legion and it would disappear.

I have many reasons to love flying and why I want it as soon as possible. Not gonna cuss Blizzard out because I don't have it yet though (highest character is at 5275/12000). I'll keep insisting that not giving rep for invasions is stupid on the other hand.

Just found out the command center buffs work for the withered scenario. It was quite the party in there. Still no fox mount quest starting item though.

Lomax

I think my biggest problem with the buggy and generally half ass nature of this game is that WoW is my escape. I deal with stupidity and frustration all day long, I don't come home or boot up the app to deal with more of that. And the more pervasive it is in WoW, the less likely I am to play. Not that Blizzard cares, my account is "paid" for the next two years, so they'd probably rather I quit. But still, it's disheartening. And I think the people that quit this time are going to be gone for good, because you can't say it's the lack of content now, but rather the quality of the content.

I think my biggest problem with the buggy and generally half ass nature of this game is that WoW is my escape. I deal with stupidity and frustration all day long, I don't come home or boot up the app to deal with more of that. And the more pervasive it is in WoW, the less likely I am to play. Not that Blizzard cares, my account is "paid" for the next two years, so they'd probably rather I quit. But still, it's disheartening. And I think the people that quit this time are going to be gone for good, because you can't say it's the lack of content now, but rather the quality of the content.

This is where I'm at. It's hard to keep a positive spin on things when the quality of the patch (and the current state of the game in general) feels so poor. So many obvious missteps that could have been prevented if only it felt like they took more time to test.

Rambaldi

I want flying because it makes leveling less of a chore the sixth time around. I want flying because doing world quests on characters that don't have all the flight paths won't be quite as cumbersome.

I want flying because this patch has been pretty disappointing so far and this is something that will actually be seen as a decent reward for putting effort into the Broken Shore which is my least favorite add on zone they've done.

I don't understand people who get weirdly ~~offended~~ when people want a basic feature that's been in the game since BC back. Yes, we should have to explore new zones and appreciate the effort put into the new areas. Once or twice. But when you have 10 characters and have to do the same quests over and over the charm of the new zones disappears eventually.

lazygecko

So I decided to fire up my warrior and finally do the fury artifact quest. And I'm getting absolutely fucking wrecked by the trash mobs in the quest. I have no idea if this is due to my ineptitude with the spec, or if it's just the fact that the scaling has gotten even worse now when doing these quests at 110 alongside item level scaling.

mclem

The invasions part of the achievement has been removed, you only need revered rep and exploration of the broken isles now (and the old achievement for Pathfinder part 1).

I know, but my point was that I'm not feeling that the invasions would have been a stumbling block had they still been in.

I care about flying because I was tired of getting dismounted on day 1 of Legion.

Ah. As a tank, that's something I keep forgetting is a thing!

I don't understand people who get weirdly ~~offended~~ when people want a basic feature that's been in the game since BC back. Yes, we should have to explore new zones and appreciate the effort put into the new areas. Once or twice. But when you have 10 characters and have to do the same quests over and over the charm of the new zones disappears eventually.

Offended's not the right word. I simply don't get it. But I guess the '10 characters' thing is also significant; I mention deliberately playing in ways that don't burn me out, and alt stuff is one thing I avoid for that purpose.

Entropia

No One Remembers
I know, but my point was that I'm not feeling that the invasions would have been a stumbling block if they were still in.

Agreed. They rotate, around. I'm 2/4, I missed on Stormheim because I was playing another game.

People are just impatient.

I'll admit, I'm antsy to get flying. But I also don't know what benefit it will have for me when I get it, haha.

Robin64

Ten characters? No thanks. I play one, casually, and that's enough. I can't imagine how burnt out you must feel with ten.

Syf

Banned
Nice to hear that they patched the challenge mission reward and rep for command center world quests. But I can't understand why these things are going live so obviously broken in the first place.

mclem

So, to elaborate on the previous thought, a point of discussion:

Do we need dazing to dismount you any more?

Put it this way: I'm quite content about the flying situation (and would, indeed, have been comfortable with the initial implementation), and at least some of that would be down to the fact that I haven't had to live with dazing since Vanilla. Heck, I remember chatting about Skettis and me not quite understanding why people hated the birds!

On the other hand, I get why they want to discourage mobs hitting anyone who isn't a tank, so I guess they need a little more nuance; dazing should perhaps still be a thing as a combat concept, but not dismount you in general (I'm sure some 'guard' style mobs should still do it, and that'd be fine; it'd prevent you from just riding *everywhere*.)

A questions, since I don't know how things stand with damage *intake* for non-tanks: If you were mounted and were slowed - but not dismounted - by a mob, would it be realistic to escape without being killed just by fleeing? Or is that a situation where you'd *have* to dismount and get into the fight anyway, else you're risking your life?

Maybe a better solution would be to have a future Pathfinder Part 1 equivalent reward make mounts immune to dazing effects outside of instances? A small bonus, but hugely effective, and makes the rush to flight feel a bit less necessary?

Edit: Or perhaps, only higher-level mobs can daze, equivalent-levels do not? That neatly sidesteps the issue in instances.

Jag

Nice to hear that they patched the challenge mission reward and rep for command center world quests. But I can't understand why these things are going live so obviously broken in the first place.

Do you know how much rep for the dungeon world quest? Wondering if its the same 75 as the others. Not worth running an enitre dungeon for it. 1300 rep away now.

Fjordson

If we were anywhere near Legion's release still the time-gating would make total sense and I wouldn't feel any urgency. And I still think that no flying at first is a good idea for new expansions. I like getting to know the new zones on the ground level.

But this is 7 months in...we've already waited for flying. I've leveled through all of these zones on four different characters. And as someone who doesn't play every day, I get penalized in a big way from the time-gating. Even though I could have played all day yesterday if I had wanted, I could only put in 15-20 minutes of work towards the rep grind before the game forced me to stop. And now I'll miss the next few days of world quests / invasions with no way to make it up on my time off this weekend because Blizzard prohibits me from putting in any extra effort towards a dependable source of rep.

Robin64

Also, when I'm not on the Broken Shore there's a world quest showing called "Stand!" but when I go to the Broken Shore it's not there. Anyone else experiencing this?

I think that's the one that gets overwritten with the World Boss phases because of that building being up.

Fjordson

Thanks be to the goodness of R. Kelly
Lmao. Man the first time I'll be able to fly up to those world quests in Highmountain or over water to a world boss will be holy moments.

Also been wondering, will my 101 demon hunter be able to fly? Or does a character have to be 110 to unlock it?

Top Bottom