• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WoW Cataclysm Expansion speculation

Belfast

They've added a lot to PvP lately and, if it's to be believed, the "new" Azeroth will have, at the very least, several Wintergrasp-style siege areas.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Night Elf Mage :lol :lol :lol :lol

webrunner

One thing to keep in mind is that most of the old world content will be five years old this year. By revamping and and ditching/changing the less important zones (People have very little reason to visit Ashzara but if it was part of the low-levelling progression that would make sense. Most people skip by zones like Desolace and Thousand Needles too) and rebuilding the game from the ground up, bringing it up to post-expansion quality, it would make the game far better: right now the game begins at 60 and starts to get good at 70. Putting 1-60 back into the picture is a great idea.

bill0527

This expansion is a great idea. Hopefully they'll update the graphics engine of the old(new) world to at least WoTLK levels. There are still some nice looking spots in Azeroth, but much of it felt dated to me the last time I played WoW.

Cataclysm sounds like a natural progression to me that would address most of the main chief complaints about WoW.

1. I'm tired of levelling and tired of Azeroth - well, this expansion takes care of that. Everyone will want to level at least one new character to look at all the new zones and see just how the entire world has been re-done.

2. Can't use my flying mount in Azeroth - Blizzard has stated many times that Vanilla WoW was built in such a way that trying to introduce flying mounts in Azeroth would be a painstaking chore that would require them remaking the entire vanilla world because it was not designed for full 3D travel from all areas.

3. When will Uldum/Hyjal/other inaccessible areas be finished? - Here you go, and they found a way to get you to pay for it by throwing them in an expansion.

My main question is - will you be able to level from 1-85 in the new Azeroth? It would make sense to allow this for new players coming into the game. WoW is getting big content-wise and to bring in new players it doesn't make sense for them to have to buy WoW Vanilla, Burning Crusade, Wrath of the Lich King, and Cataclysm right up front. It would be nice if a new player could just purchase WoW: Cataclysm and *maybe* vanilla WoW, without having to buy 2 additional expansions - BC and WoTLK where you will do nothing but try to power level your way out of them as fast as possible because they will be ghost towns.

Alex

I dont mind them reusing content intelligently. Especially when the old world could use so much updating, it's an amazing concept and nice to see it treated like a game world and not a jenga tower.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
webrunner said:
One thing to keep in mind is that most of the old world content will be five years old this year. By revamping and and ditching/changing the less important zones (People have very little reason to visit Ashzara but if it was part of the low-levelling progression that would make sense. Most people skip by zones like Desolace and Thousand Needles too) and rebuilding the game from the ground up, bringing it up to post-expansion quality, it would make the game far better: right now the game begins at 60 and starts to get good at 70. Putting 1-60 back into the picture is a great idea.

Yes, yes, yes. All of this, yes. It'll be fun for new players still coming into the game, but it'll be fun for all players to see and explore the old world again while exploring new areas. Perhaps Blizzard will also make some of the older raid zones relevant again for many of those who missed it the first time with heroic/balls hard again so people will shut up.

I love the idea.

Xabora

EDarkness said:
Isn't that the one from beta? I didn't know that one still worked. Last I heard you were working on one that was more up to date. I'll check it out.

Update: I checked on Curse. I see you did something for Age of Conan, but I don't see anything for WoW. I assumed you gave up on it a long time ago. Heh, heh.

By the way, how have you been? Heh, haven't rapped with you since beta ended. :(
Hanging out on Undermine and whatnot.
Writing some addons for the guild I'm in.

Dedalus said:
The remaining Highborne are apparently going to rejoin the NEs.

Tamanon said:
Imagine some of these Naxx/VoA puggers getting into AQ40.:lol
>_>
I've seen a full 40man raid of 80s with Naxx 10/25 gear wipe on twin emps because of the lack of cordination.

I'm glad that they're raising the level cap to 85 only. PVP in this game is as good as it's ever been as of patch 3.2 in terms of balance. Hopefully they can keep it that way with 5 additional levels.

Xabora

Malfunky said:
Which is this quest that drops from ???: http://db.mmo-champion.com/q/14409/a-cautious-return/

Requires 73
A moment of your time, <class>.

Change is coming. It has drawn us out of the ruins of Eldre'Thalas and into the wide world once more. I have come to research this city and cannot stray from it, but if you are inclined, I have an errand for you.

My colleague set out for Darnassus to speak with the High Priestess there, that we might come to an understanding. Take this journal to Mordent Evenshade in the temple. It may help in his diplomacy mission.

Sweet. I always wanted to go back to old WoW but I don't like how 'spoiler?'
Thrall could be going guardian and letting the alliance and the horde hang out with him. It just goes to show that Blizzard wants the most popular characters/classes/etc... to become neutral. I do like the open war between the two races though. Always wanted to kill the alliance even more. :p

Seiken said:
Night Elf Mage :lol :lol :lol :lol

Didn't all the elves who got addicted to magic become blood elves? I wonder what their explanation will be.

Xabora

2uo3w3m.jpg

..\Data\Lichking.MPQ - ..\World\Expansion02\Doodads\Ulduar\UL_Azeroth_Map.blp

77lw.jpg

..\Data\Lichking.MPQ - ..\World\Expansion02\Doodads\Ulduar\UL_Planet05.blp [90degree angle]

2n1u8ev.png

..\Data\Patch.MPQ - ..\World\Expansion02\Doodads\Ulduar\UL_WorldMap_01.blp

FOUND
2mcbolt.jpg

..\Data\Lichking.MPQ - ..\World\Expansion02\Doodads\Ulduar\UL_WorldMap_01.jpg

Side Notes: Lichking.MPQ has not been modified since the release of WoTLK.
Patch.MPQ is modified all the time with new patches.

Cross Over map I made:
ibjle0.png

EDIT: Found 1 more map!

Posting this out here so the lurkers can see it.

EDarkness

Xabora said:

That's good to hear. It's pretty amazing how fast time flies. Maybe most of the old gang will get together again when the beta for the next expansion starts up. :)

I started working on updating the death knight blade frame in my spare time. I don't know much about LUA, but it's a good learning experience.

The only thing I worry about (if the world is getting partly destroyed) is how will a person help lowbies do quests if they're in the original world? Will we still be able to run guildies through Deadmines and such? If the world is phased, it'll make doing those things harder.

Most of the other information sounds pretty cool. New class/race combinations is a good thing. Can't wait for Blizzcon. I even ordered the DirectTV link so we could watch in Japan. :D

Xabora

EDarkness said:
That's good to hear. It's pretty amazing how fast time flies. Maybe most of the old gang will get together again when the beta for the next expansion starts up. :)

I started working on updating the death knight blade frame in my spare time. I don't know much about LUA, but it's a good learning experience.

The only thing I worry about (if the world is getting partly destroyed) is how will a person help lowbies do quests if they're in the original world? Will we still be able to run guildies through Deadmines and such? If the world is phased, it'll make doing those things harder.

Most of the other information sounds pretty cool. New class/race combinations is a good thing. Can't wait for Blizzcon. I even ordered the DirectTV link so we could watch in Japan. :D
From what I can tell/speculate.

Everything you know is gone, everyone gone is new, everything new is old, everything old is new.

Leveling and zones are being revamped, instances are being redone, leveling ranges in said zones are being drasticly altered.
Taking in account for a new leveling system.

Compare land masses of EQ and then think of EQ2.

traveler

Not Wario
Xabora said:

The remaining Highborne are apparently going to rejoin the NEs.

>_>
I've seen a full 40man raid of 80s with Naxx 10/25 gear wipe on twin emps because of the lack of cordination.

You're on Undermine? Every single one of my characters is on that server. What guild?

Xabora

traveler said:
You're on Undermine? Every single one of my characters is on that server. What guild?
Mass Hysteria

And for no other reason, I present the Uldaur Goatse. [With my Character Name]
vyvzow.jpg

webrunner

Those maps, the places covered in water are desolace, part of stonetalon, mulgore, and northen barrens, and durotar, and apparently swamp of sorrows and possibly Westfall (it's not in the uldular highlight)

Eastern Kingdoms seems pretty untouched

Of particular note is the location of the island in the middle of Kalimdor - that's where thunder bluff is (on a giant freaking pillar of stone) - maybe Thunderbluff will still be there, but falling off will be a thing of the past.

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
This is actually a really great idea. Perfect way to address the classic MMO dilemma of content being rendered obsolete. I assume most of the changed zones will be 80+? Does this mean they'll be redesigning just a handful of them to be a fast-track 1-60? If so it almost seems dumb now that DKs start at 58...

RPGCrazied

So if this info about the new xpac is real, I really do hope they upgrade some of the graphics.

when they mean revamped I hope they mean graphics.(mainly terrain distance)

It was increased, but for some reason its only visible in burning crusade in lich king zones. Old Azeroth, no matter what I do, I can't see very far.

Also, some textures look really bad.

Xabora

Zek said:
This is actually a really great idea. Perfect way to address the classic MMO dilemma of content being rendered obsolete. I assume most of the changed zones will be 80+? Does this mean they'll be redesigning a handful of them to be a fast-track 1-60?
Looks like a ground up redesign.
Reminds me of the EQ1 to EQ2 dealy-o.
Except there was no real character transition since they were 2 different games. But the lore continued on from there.

[speculation]
With this you will have pre-cataclysim characters that were part of the old world and are leveling in the new high instance zones in the post cataclysim.

But for new characters, these will be post-cataclysim. Leveling in the after math of the sundering (2), with new leveling zones, quests, class combos.
Brings a fresh take on an aging game without keeping the same base quests.

Its one thing people asked for. Less high level content, more low and midrange stuff.
But that turned out to be a revamp.

[/speculation]

Malfunky

webrunner said:
I wonder what happens if you log out in, say, Desolace before patch 4.0.0 and then try to log in.

Permadeath.

I hope there's an apocalyptic event right before launch where everyone is panicking and rushing to higher ground. Quests involving saving batches of folks, utter chaos, heroic casualties. I also envision a troll wearing a placard saying "DA END IS NIGH," because that would be awesome. The final moments tick, then BAM, load up the expansion and the cinematic shows the Cataclysm. Unless they can find out a way to flood the world live.

TheGrue

webrunner said:

Consider this, though. You know how in Lich King they implemented things so that they could change what an area looks like to a person if they had progressed to a certain point? They could use that to change the old world without actually changing it for the newer characters. The new characters would see the area one way and the high levels would see it another.

Ettie

Malfunky said:
Permadeath.

I hope there's an apocalyptic event right before launch where everyone is panicking and rushing to higher ground. Quests involving saving batches of folks, utter chaos, heroic casualties. I also envision a troll wearing a placard saying "DA END IS NIGH," because that would be awesome. The final moments tick, then BAM, load up the expansion and the cinematic shows the Cataclysm. Unless they can find out a way to flood the world live.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Yeah, that would be awesome. WoW is planning to steal the thunder from the upcoming Fallout mmo lol.

Malfunky

DiscoJason said:
Consider this, though. You know how in Lich King they implemented things so that they could change what an area looks like to a person if they had progressed to a certain point? They could use that to change the old world without actually changing it for the newer characters. The new characters would see the area one way and the high levels would see it another.

Right, but then there's the problem of interaction between those two groups. You ever try to quest with a friend who hasn't finished one of those huge phasing chains in Northrend? You can't even see them.

It would mean helping your friends, running through zones and instances, or hanging out with lower levels would require a bit more work. An option to switch phases maybe.

But..

The old world is old. It's just not fun anymore. Sure, there's some nostalgia running around all those huge grindy zones, but for the most part, they're empty. And, with the leveling sped up, many of them are practically useless. So, they can flood all those(die, Desolace) and really focus on transforming some of the older zones into an awesome low level experience.

Xabora

Blurry Low Res Map used a base for the highres pre-existing map data.

m9uljp.jpg

Posted by Kanaru @ MMO-Champion

Seems incomplete compared to this outline:
2mcbolt.jpg

Loam

But... I finally beat my WoW addiction and even skipped buying the the WotLK expansion, and then they drop this? Sweet Jesus.

I hope they really flesh out the story seeing as they seem to be hellbent on furthering their Warcraft franchise through WoW. Ive never played WotLK so I can't really say how well the quests were fleshed out in that one but Burning Crusade seemed like it belonged more in the Warhammer 40k or Stargate universe than WoW.

So that's why that globe in HoL looks like that...

Strange it would look like what Azeroth WOULD look like, instead of at "that" moment. Loken knew alot, but not the right stuff, apparently.

border said:
Even as a Priest/healer, aren't there encounters in Ulduar or Naxxramas where you have little more than a split second to get off a heal or a dispell before the tank goes down and the raid wipes?

Pfft. That's been par for the course since Nov. 04. No, what's new and tedious is having to "HPS" like a mage cuz the fight's tuned in light that you may just be able to do such, watch eleventy billion blasted "cooldowns" and dependancy-based spell states, in addition to all that. Made learning to MH Sarth10 3D or Firefighter Goddamn pains, whereas I could go for an entire Kael'thas or M'uru learning night without any mistakes.

Belfast

Interesting stuff there, Xabora. I don't know why, but I just always assumed that those globes represented alternate, or strangely abstracted versions of the current Azeroth. I should've known better. They certainly do jive with the things we've been hearing about Cataclysm.

It doesn't help that a couple of those maps don't completely match up, though. The wireframe map shows a few thing included/cut out that aren't in the terrain map (Like the huge cut into Silithus -- I'm assuming the little, triangular island is AQ -- or the raised island which may or may not be Thunder Bluff). Of course, these may all just be possibilities based on Blizzard's considerations at the time of producing Wrath. Things very well may have changed since then.

I do hope EK suffers just as much as Kalimdor does, though. Looking at these maps, it doesn't seem to, but then again there are the reports of things happening more in-land, such as Blackrock Spire blowing up to reveal a new instance area.

Xabora

Belfast said:
Interesting stuff there, Xabora. I don't know why, but I just always assumed that those globes represented alternate, or strangely abstracted versions of the current Azeroth. I should've known better. They certainly do jive with the things we've been hearing about Cataclysm.

It doesn't help that a couple of those maps don't completely match up, though. The wireframe map shows a few thing included/cut out that aren't in the terrain map (Like the huge cut into Silithus -- I'm assuming the little, triangular island is AQ -- or the raised island which may or may not be Thunder Bluff). Of course, these may all just be possibilities based on Blizzard's considerations at the time of producing Wrath. Things very well may have changed since then.

I do hope EK suffers just as much as Kalimdor does, though. Looking at these maps, it doesn't seem to, but then again there are the reports of things happening more in-land, such as Blackrock Spire blowing up to reveal a new instance area.
Cant leave any stone unturned with blizzard.

And as for blackrock mountain, I expect red ridge and the zone north of it to become one giant hell hole. (WANT TO SEE!)

Belfast

Xabora said:
Cant leave any stone unturned with blizzard.

And as for blackrock mountain, I expect red ridge and the zone north of it to become one giant hell hole. (WANT TO SEE!)

It's a big mountain. If it explodes/erupts, it's going destroy a good part of the countryside. Raining ash and fire down upon the surrounding zones, maybe some thick, black clouds in the sky. That's some Mt. St. Helens shit right there.

DiscoJason said:

That was my original thought but with that info about Azshara becoming a leveling area in the teens+, it sounds like it may be changing for good. There will be nostalgia for the old days but lets face it. Current WoW players would like a new experience if leveling a new person, and new people won't miss old WoW because they never played it.

The thing I'm curious about though is achievements. What happens to all these achievements that are based on the current instances and quests in the old regions?

Ceebs

VGChampion said:
That was my original thought but with that info about Azshara becoming a leveling area in the teens+, it sounds like it may be changing for good. There will be nostalgia for the old days but lets face it. Current WoW players would like a new experience if leveling a new person, and new people won't miss old WoW because they never played it.

The thing I'm curious about though is achievements. What happens to all these achievements that are based on the current instances and quests in the old regions?
Maybe they are just retuning the current Azshara to be a low level zone and it would not change until you did whatever at lvl 80 to get to the new content. A few changes could have it connect more easily to Org to transition new players from Durotar to there as an option instead of The Barrens.

Belfast

Ceebs said:
Maybe they are just retuning the current Azshara to be a low level zone and it would not change until you did whatever at lvl 80 to get to the new content. A few changes could have it connect more easily to Org to transition new players from Durotar to there as an option instead of The Barrens.

What would be the point of making it a low-level zone when you're already far past the need to level in it?

Phasing will be heavy in this expansion, but I don't think it will apply to the world at large. Quite simply, the whole experience, from 1-80 will be changed. The old world will be gone (aside from Outland and, presumably, Northrend). You won't be able to experience it again, which honestly shouldn't matter, since, ideally, the new Azeroth will be better.

And as far as achievements go, those might simply turn into Feats of Strength, like all other content that can no longer be accessed in the game.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Seeing this thread makes me sad.

Left WoW a week before Ulduar came out. Having spent years in the game, it feels like I've left a part of me behind =o

I'll certainly come back to the game once the expansion hits, though. Couldn't keep playing anymore 'cause I was stuck on a shitty guild and was being left behind by the rest of the realm (Draka).

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Malfunky said:
Permadeath.

So wait, what if you DON'T have the expansion?

This Cataclysm thing, it sounds more like WoW2 to me.

Unless they separate the servers; if you don't have the expansion you play the old WoW. You need to go through all of them to get to Cataclysm, at which point you are sent on another server that hosts it. But this sounds unlikely considering the info so far.

webrunner

Ether_Snake said:
So wait, what if you DON'T have the expansion?

This Cataclysm thing, it sounds more like WoW2 to me.

Unless they separate the servers.

Every expansion so far has had a lot of features that are available to "old world" users. It's only the actually new zones and level cap that having the expansion gave you. In fact, they tend to be reeleased a month or so before the expansion as the X.0.0 patch.. a 3.0.0 player with just the original game still has 51 point talents in their trees (and can just barely get one).

In fact, although Jewelcrafting was BC-only (the only trainers are in BC cities) Inscription is available to everyone.

Top Bottom