• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WOW OMG: Steam is refunding No Man's Sky even if you played more then 2 hours

SpaceWolf

Banned
No "we" here. Personally I take a hardline attitude where even the 2 hour window is excessive in my view.

I say, you pays your money and you takes your choice. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, either way its just a game not something with a functional imperative like meds for a sick child.

You paid for the show. Take responsibility for that decision, and certainly don't expect sympathy from everyone else.

Please, please, please let "YOU PAYS YOUR MONEY, YOU TAKES YOUR CHOICE" become an enduring Gaf meme.

Blobbers

No, it means he has ethics. Don't confuse being able to game the system as equating to morality. Just because you can do things, it doesn't mean you should.

Oh yeah, the little known loophole where you can get a refund for a game that's constantly crashing and literally keeping you from progressing any further

Permanently A

No "we" here. Personally I take a hardline attitude where even the 2 hour window is excessive in my view.

I say, you pays your money and you takes your choice. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, either way its just a game not something with a functional imperative like meds for a sick child.

You paid for the show. Take responsibility for that decision, and certainly don't expect sympathy from everyone else.

Wow I've never seen a more accurate tag. You have some seriously fucked up opinions when it comes to consumer rights.

Gxgear

For those who got the refund I say take your money and run, but dohonoattempt to justify where different people may have other less honorable motives for trying to do so.

Some posters on the reddit are saying that with a steam refund, the publisher/developer takes the hit but steam still keeps their cut

This would be very expensive for hello games then, at $18 per copy refunded on steam (30% cut right?). In other words $180,000 per 10,000 refunds.

So if the Steam refund gets rejected, what course of action should one take?

I'm beginning to wonder if contacting Sony over the PC version is worthwhile. they're the publisher, so they're in a position to authorize "No Questions Asked" refunds like WB did with Arkham Knight.

Some posters on the reddit are saying that with a steam refund, the publisher/developer takes the hit but steam still keeps their cut

This would be very expensive for hello games then, at $18 per copy refunded on steam (30% cut right?). In other words $180,000 per 10,000 refunds.

Well, Hello Games is who it needs to be expensive for. No reason for Steam to take a hit.

And Hello self published, I believe.

I'm beginning to wonder if contacting Sony over the PC version is worthwhile. they're the publisher, so they're in a position to authorize "No Questions Asked" refunds like WB did with Arkham Knight.
Sony is not the publisher.

Skux

You can play a game for 50 hours and it can still run like crap and not be what was promised.

No qualms about people getting their money back on this game.

Does the game still crash / have obvious major bugs with the latest patches?

If so, everyone should be able to get a refund regardless of how long they have played.

But it still baffles me how many people bought this junk in the first place. It looked garbage all along.

Corpekata

Banned

I really don't think this is true, we would have heard some developers complaining about it very loudly months ago.

offshore

I'm wondering if at this rate, Sean Murray might have to return his yacht...
livestock02-03-04-packfuj7.gif

That sounds fake tbh.

If you believe that a product should work out of the gate, then you're not going to log 50hrs of game time dealing with something that's "buggy and crashes consistently". You're going to get your money back. Not play the shit out of the game, and then return it when you've had your fill.

Did you not read where the game got worse for him?

Anyhow, what I was saying is this, if the game was crashing on a consistent basis, even if the frequency never changes, then it would still be justified IMO even if you stick with it for 50 hours. The game never advertised itself with crashes being a feature. A lot of people know that it might be fixed eventually and I think that the poster you are referring to did as well. Thing is, he did HG a favor and gave ample time for the crashes to be fixed before asking for a refund and they didn't. The time that he spent playing was not played how the game was advertised or meant to be played (bug free). He still played and suffered through bugs and crashing. None of that is what he paid for. He expected the game to get better in this regard as time went on and patches came out and it didn't fix his problems. This particular game is supposed to be a time sink. Something that you can play for 100's of hours. His patience ran out for a fixed game and he didn't want to chance having spent $60 on a game that would always be this way for him. So he got a refund. Notice I left out how things actually got worse. Weather or not things staying the same and not getting worse would have been ok for him is up to him, I am not speaking for him. I am just saying that I think it would have still been justifiable either way.

Nzyme32

Submit a ticket to get a refund. The refund system on Steam is for the most part automated. Debate using a ticket and you'll actually get someone who might be more lenient. Typically Valve would usually give you a "in good faith" refund assuming this isn't some regular thing.

Landford

Banned
Submit a ticket to get a refund. The refund system on Steam is for the most part automated. Debate using a ticket and you'll actually get someone who might be more lenient. Typically Valve would usually give you a "in good faith" refund assuming this isn't some regular thing.

How do I submit a ticket?

Refund denied boilerplate message, will try again. Anyone know what to put in the request? I mean I'm legitimately upset over the missing features etc and put that much in my mail. While I wasn't having many outright crashes like 4 or 5 over the course of my playtime II did suffer from poor performance and noted as much in my previous ticket. I'm kind of annoyed Steam isn't giving me this refund.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Why do you want a system which benefits the company instead of yourself?

Better that than a society of overgrown, over-entitled infants with no sense of responsibility.

Seriously, 50hours is the equivalent of a working week!

Obscura

Can someone tell me what to do for a Sony refund? I assume just go to customer service and ask but I want to make sure.

StereoVsn

Please, please, please let "YOU PAYS YOUR MONEY, YOU TAKES YOUR CHOICE" become an enduring Gaf meme.
I second this. However, we can make this better.

"Steam just shot itself in the foot. I don't know what you know about games refunds, but I am an expert. YOU PAYS YOUR MONEY, YOU TAKES YOUR CHOICE."

Kieli

I think 2 hours is fine for something subjective, "This game sucks, I don't like it."

However, there should be NO limit on when you can refund for a fundamentally broken game (e.g. severe bug that hinders normal gameplay; crashes constantly). Sometimes these things take longer than 2 hours to uncover.

Better that than a society of overgrown, over-entitled infants with no sense of responsibility.

Responsibility? Like not mislead customers and not knowingly release broken games?

1 hours 10 hours or 50 hours, it doesn't matter, the product stopped properly functioning when it shouldn't have been. In most if not every retail space if your product is faulty you ask for another one or get refunded.

You resorting to insult over people because they don't not like to be fucked over by corporation shows who's lacking maturity here.

Nice tag

EmbersToAshes

Neo Member

I'm going to ignore your ad hominem because there's really no need to discuss why that's indicative of a poor argument here. What I am going to point out is that your focus on time played entirely neglects to recognise the quality of the experience itself. Do you equate 50 hours of sub-par performance, speckled with frequent crashes and bugs as being equivalent to 50 hours of unhindered gameplay? I certainly don't. The time played is irrelevant because as a statistic it simply isn't indicative as to how enjoyable the experience was. If the game becomes progressively more unstable as you play then it's absolutely broken, and shouldn't absolutely be refundable.

Lulubop

Lol, I don't think you've ever posted something worth reading. Is fvng your alt account? Same trash.

PSN chat request for a refund:

Noel: Hello, My name is Noel how may I assist you today?
Me: Hello, I'd like to request a refund for one of my digital purchases.
Me: Noel?
Noel: We’re sorry that you had problems with this purchase on your account, xxxxx. But don’t worry, I will do my best to assist you with this transaction.
Me: Thanks
Noel: Just to confirm, the account information you entered before you initiated the chat, is that the account you want to work on?
Me: Correct
Noel: Thank you. One moment while I access your account.
Noel: By the way, in order to update your profile information, could you please provide me with your phone number?
Me: xxx-xxx-xxxx
Noel: Thanks, may I know more details about your refund request?
Me: I'd like a refund for No Man's Sky - never played it and I've learned it's not the game I thought it would be.
Noel: As a gamer myself, I understand how this makes you feel.
Noel: But don't worry, let me explain you some details about the refund process.
Noel: According to the User Agreement all sales are final. Please keep in mind that it will done as onetime gesture of goodwill and funds will be returned to your PlayStation Network Wallet.
Noel: Is your Sign-In ID (email on account) a valid email address?
Me: yes
Noel: Alright, your refund has been completed, you can now check your PSN wallet and the funds will be there for you to purchase any other content in the PSN Store.
Me: Great, I appreciate it.
Noel: You will also receive an email confirmation for this. Here is your refund case number for future reference: (xxxxx).
Noel: We are gamers, we are for gamers, we are for you!
Noel: We hope you don’t mind but we’ve also sent you an email that includes a brief survey. We would love if you take 1 minute of your time to provide us your feedback.
Noel: Is there anything else I can assist you with?
Me: No, that's it
Me: thanks for your help
Noel: It has been a pleasure assisting you today. Thank you for contacting PlayStation Chat Support. Have a good day!

So they did it as a one time courtesy. If there's any game I'd like to have a refund on, it's this one, so I'm happy.

Jonm1010

Banned

A quick click on his recent posts and it seems like a well deserved one.

Guy seems to spend a majority of his time schilling for developers that release buggy products and has an especially big affinity for defending Hello Games nonsense.

Such a weird way to spend your free time lol.

Buburibon

I'd completely agree with you if we were dealing with a fully functional product/service that closely resembled what was advertised. I'm sure you understand that's not at all the case here.

Corpekata

Banned
Refund went through, and fast. Surprised given some of the rejections posted.

Might be because I buy a lot of stuff? I did just spend 50 bucks on Steam the other day. Or perhaps because I went in depth on the reason why.

Top Bottom