• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WOW OMG: Steam is refunding No Man's Sky even if you played more then 2 hours

PSOreo

Been playing that dreadful game since launch. Furious at all the lies and repetition so got a full Amazon UK refund in 24 hours.

Sioen

Sony gave me a refund as well today, a few weeks after launch.
Good on them for not forcing me to keep this shitty ass game.

A quick click on his recent posts and it seems like a well deserved one.

Guy seems to spend a majority of his time schilling for developers that release buggy products and has an especially big affinity for defending Hello Games nonsense.

Such a weird way to spend your free time lol.
Well what else are you supposed to do if your favorite game is rendered unplayable due to bugs and crashes? Cut the man some slack. This is really hard in him.

/s

Steam refund didn't work for me and I've played a little over 2 hours.

I do kinda like the game, but I felt like the game will be more complete at a later date, so if I'd have gotten the refund I would have rebought it eventually.

Griss

I've had so many crashes I feel like I might be entitled to a refund, but I enjoyed the game and still boot it up to see cool stuff, so I feel it would be morally wrong.

I fundamentally got the majority of the enjoyment I was expecting out of it, so I can complain about bugs but can't say I didn't get my money's worth imo.

redcrayon

Refund denied boilerplate message, will try again. Anyone know what to put in the request? I mean I'm legitimately upset over the missing features etc and put that much in my mail. While I wasn't having many outright crashes like 4 or 5 over the course of my playtime II did suffer from poor performance and noted as much in my previous ticket. I'm kind of annoyed Steam isn't giving me this refund.
Just out of interest, do you have many other refunds logged? I imagine they are less likely to process refunds for people who do it all the time than those who do it sparingly.

Jonm1010

Banned

Curious about this as well. If they do this on digital, Amazon may be the place I buy all my games from now on.

Based on this thread and others they seem to have the most consumer friendly return policy.

I always knew they did for physical products but if this extends to digital, checkmate Amazon, you win, you beat me, you get all my gaming money.

Well what else are you supposed to do if your favorite game is rendered unplayable due to bugs and crashes? Cut the man some slack. This is really hard in him.

/s

lol.

NEO0MJ

A quick click on his recent posts and it seems like a well deserved one.

Guy seems to spend a majority of his time schilling for developers that release buggy products and has an especially big affinity for defending Hello Games nonsense.

Such a weird way to spend your free time lol.

Maybe the poster thinks the wealth will trickle down?

Steam refund didn't work for me and I've played a little over 2 hours.

I do kinda like the game, but I felt like the game will be more complete at a later date, so if I'd have gotten the refund I would have rebought it eventually.

Try again, I just did it a few days ago just tried it again when I saw this topic an hour or two ago and it worked.

Thanks for that steam.

ConfusedOwl

Neo Member
I went through PSN live chat and got a refund quick and painlessly. First time I've had to do this for a game and hopefully the last.

HariKari

People should refund now, rebuy later if they ever get around to delivering fixes and content. It's important to let your dissatisfaction manifest in lost revenue.

RangerX

Banned
The lengths some people are going to defend this game is absolutely staggering. I've genuinely never seen anything like it. Hello games deserve everything they've got and then some. The game is quite literally not what was advertised.

panda-zebra

nms-crashing-erutw.png

Where does one access PSN live chat? Is it US only and in office hours or is it something I'd be able to access in the UK?

I really wanted to like this game, now I just hate myself for wanting it so bad and quickly that I paid the download tax and spent fifty fucking quid on it.

Murkas

I love how a lot of people are all "50 hours is too long!!!" when the average product has at least a year warranty if it doesn't work or doesn't match what was advertised.

If I buy a pair of hiking boots and water starts leaking in after half a year, I can take it back to the store and get a refund.

If my fridge breaks down after 9 months, I can take it back and get a refund. If is says it does X and it doesn't do it then I'm entitled to a refund.

50 hours is nothing in comparison. PS3 owners couldn't play Skyrim and Fallout after 50 hours, those owners should be entitled to a refund.

These loser fanboys acting like it's their own money that goes to these refunds.

me0wish

I wonder if there is anyway to track how many copies have been refunded, it would of been the highest refunded game of all time probably.

Still, very curious to see the numbers.

I've had so many crashes I feel like I might be entitled to a refund, but I enjoyed the game and still boot it up to see cool stuff, so I feel it would be morally wrong.

I fundamentally got the majority of the enjoyment I was expecting out of it, so I can complain about bugs but can't say I didn't get my money's worth imo.

It's good that you enjoyed your time with the game and I mean that but I guess you should ask yourself if this is how you want games to launch? I mean, are you ok with games being filled with bugs and crashes? Do you think that by settling and being ok with it is enabling other developers to get the idea that they can do the same because they see that this is what consumers will put up with now? I'm not coming at you or anything lol. Just food for thought.

Just out of interest, do you have many other refunds logged? I imagine they are less likely to process refunds for people who do it all the time than those who do it sparingly.

One, I refunded a game I accidentally bought the wrong edition of. I wanted the goty and bought the normal. I purchased the goty as a gift and refunded the regular one. That doesn't seem like excessive to me.

tauroxd

Better that than a society of overgrown, over-entitled infants with no sense of responsibility.

Seriously, 50hours is the equivalent of a working week!

But the game doesn't finish at 50 hours, you have so much to do after that... How can you defend that you can't complete or play something that you are not done with... The game didn't finish or he didn't have enoug of it, he just wasn't able to play it anymore.

It is like you go to a 3 hour movie but at the 2 hour mark the projector dies and when you ask for a refund the cinema tells you that no, you watched at least 2 hours, you got yout money's worth... That's just wrong and stupid, you didn't decided to exit the cinema, the projector died and didn't let you see the rest of it.

Venom Fox

Banned
What I don't get is why do Steam and Sony etc say that they can't refund you after 14 days? The law in the UK for digital goods is 30 days if the item is faulty.

Surely the law is above their policies?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I'd completely agree with you if we were dealing with a fully functional product/service that closely resembled what was advertised. I'm sure you understand that's not at all the case here.

I understand there's a bit of a demented witch-hunt going on, where everything gets massively overblown and exaggerated. Which is why I've received so many abusive replies for having the temerity to offer a dissenting opinion. Shame on me for my thought crime!

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Someone Luigis mansion gif with Sean's face on money or something Luigi is sucking up.

What I don't get is why do Steam and Sony etc say that they can't refund you after 14 days? The law in the UK for digital goods is 30 days if the item is faulty.

Maybe it would help to bring that up when you ask for a refund? You could even give a link to the law or something, I think it was posted on the previous page or the one before that.

Refund went through, and fast. Surprised given some of the rejections posted.

Might be because I buy a lot of stuff? I did just spend 50 bucks on Steam the other day. Or perhaps because I went in depth on the reason why.

Nice, what'd you put as your reasoning? Did you request cash back or steam credit?

Corpekata

Banned
I understand there's a bit of a demented witch-hunt going on, where everything gets massively overblown and exaggerated. Which is why I've received so many abusive replies for having the temerity to offer a dissenting opinion. Shame on me for my thought crime!

Oh boy. Next you'll invoke Hitler before climbing up on your cross. Just to complete all the right notes.

Seiru

Banned
Might be the first game I'll ever attempt a refund on.

7 hours played, but to be fair, every 30 minutes past the first 30 minutes was exactly the same.

I mean, by the tone of your replies it would seem like you are the one trying to find the witch in us...

I sink like a rock btw and that spot on my inner thigh is a mole...

HariKari

Surely the law is above their policies?

If you're persistent and honest about your intentions, they really have no reason to turn you away. I've gotten refunds for games before the Steam system was ever in place. Just don't abuse the system, or be abusive towards people.

Veggy

Steam declined my refund request again, same automated response saying I played over 2 hours (2hr 51min to be exact)

Any suggestions?

It's actually sad. This is a small studio and I'm not sure if they ever recover.

Recover from what, exactly? Making millions of dollars as people all across the world play their game?

Regardless of the backlash this game has had, I can't imagine anyone at Hello sees NMS as anything but a success.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Oh boy. Next you'll invoke Hitler before climbing up on your cross. Just to complete all the right notes.

You're the one who just Godwinned this thread, not me pal.

How else would you choose to characterize the current shit-storm surrounding all things NMS? Witch-hunt seemed apt.

Corpekata

Banned
Nice, what'd you put as your reasoning? Did you request cash back or steam credit?

I put cash but it was a partial purchase of CC and steam wallet (more wallet than cash). So it's being refunded as both.

For reasoning I just wrote a paragraph that I understood I was past the playtime, but that it had widespread technical issues as well as felt it was misrepresented (I won't go for as to claim it was misadvertised, as I think that goes a little far).

It is fuckin hilariously demented tho lol

Like I know gamers love bandwagoning on others' (sometimes totally valid) criticisms, but this is something else.

We've unwittingly proven that a new IP can become one of the best selling launches ever purely through false advertising and clever misdirection.

You can't really blame people for wanting to go the extra mile to ensure this doesn't become a trend.

You didn't just offer an opinion, you called people infants. What did you expect when you waltz in here attacking people for wanting a refund for a defective product?

And what is overblown about a crash log literally FILLED with the game crashing every 20 minutes? This ain't a crash once in a while and even if the crash frequency was once in a great while, if it can be recreated with success, that's a problem.

In what world do you live in where crashes every 20 minutes are normal behaviour for an application?

Corpekata

Banned
You're the one who just Godwinned this thread, not me pal.

How else would you choose to characterize the current shit-storm surrounding all things NMS? Witch-hunt seemed apt.

I don't know, I can't hear you from up on your cross we've nailed you to for your thought crimes. Sorry. Speak up. Martyrs like you need to be loud.

Top Bottom