• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WOW OMG: Steam is refunding No Man's Sky even if you played more then 2 hours

Nzyme32

Similar to when I got a refund for Homeworld (and was over the 14 days). I assumed it was either done out of good faith since I rarely refund, or it's because I've been using Steam for years and buying regularly, so perhaps it seems unlikely that I would be doing anything dodgy

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Steam generally seems to be a lot more forgiving about the 2-hour playing limit for games without trading cards.

Would be funny if HG added trading cards to the game overnight to prevent people from refunding it

Farewell

I understand there's a bit of a demented witch-hunt going on, where everything gets massively overblown and exaggerated. Which is why I've received so many abusive replies for having the temerity to offer a dissenting opinion. Shame on me for my thought crime!

What, abusive?

Sakujou

Banned
fuck sony and fuck hello games.
i did believe in you. i bought the product day one as the special edition for ps4.
got a broken product which didnt even start up in the beginning.
thanks for the most fucked gaming summer 2016.

I'm probably just gonna have to deal with the game for now, Steam seems to not want to process my refunds even though multiple people have said they played over 2 hours.

EmbersToAshes

Neo Member
You're the one who just Godwinned this thread, not me pal.

How else would you choose to characterize the current shit-storm surrounding all things NMS? Witch-hunt seemed apt.

A witch-hunt would imply the criticisms were untrue and notably absent features actually existed. This isn't the case for No Man's Sky. It's a buggy piece of shit, missing features advertised for many years. No hyperbole, just honesty. Given that your recent post history is just shilling, I highly doubt you're interested in valid criticism, however.

Chobel

Just went to check Steam Spy and wow... The owners for No Man's Sky dropped almost 20,000 from August 24-25.

3908d8ccdc07a282969b6557aa5f58c1.png

e1bae3b06fed5c02ce2453992f9a3888.png

This is not necessarily from refunding, Steamspy numbers are merely estimates (with a great precision) and it corrects these estimates on a daily basis.

if you play a game for 50 hours and then complain about the entire experience, you should be suing yourself for wasting your own time. at minimum wage of $7.25/hr that is $362 of value you have denied yourself.

i guess you can subtract $60 from that, that's on the big bad people that made the game in the first place. that horrible game that wasted your time.

yet you are still in the hole $300, a financial injury committed by you against yourself. how will you receive satisfaction from such injury?

sadly, and ironically, by taking this complaint to the internet and devoting even more of your time, the amount of time wasted is ever-increasing. what's worse, it is inflicting injury on others, including many innocent bystanders whose own time is now wasted.

Veggy

Well shit, I just don't know what to do

I have less than 3 hours played on steam but they keep declining my refund request with an automated message saying I have played for over 2 hours

Clicking on contact game support just sends me to the NMS website

There's no contact number or anything for steam, it only wants you to go through steam support

Guess that's £40 I'm never gonna see again

Henkka

Banned
Refunding games like this after significant time spent playing is kind of a grey area for me.

The game literally doesn't work or crashes constantly? Yeah, refund it.

The game's features were flagrantly falsely advertised, and you thought you were buying something different? Yeah, I guess there's grounds for a refund there...

Game is just sorely disappointing and bad next to the marketing material, even though no flagrant misrepresentation took place? That's where I'd draw a line. You can't refund a game for simply being bad, just like you can't refund a terrible movie like Suicide Squad or something.

What's your law when dealing with digital goods? Try linking them to that.

Us in the UK have 30 days to get a full refund on both digital or physical goods if they're are faulty, not fit for purpose or mis described.

Ok I'll try linking that, should I do this through creating a ticket or the automated refund system?

Bunch of cry babies in this thread.

You pays your money, you takes your choice.

Yeah It's a bit embarrassing honestly. Like an admission to being one in the mass of uneducated consumers who are part of the issue when it comes to things like hype and listening to corporate mouthpieces.

True Fire

The witch hunt surrounding No Man's Sky is completely justified.

Why wouldn't a bad, broken game be punished by gamers? I think a lot of gamers are mentally unable to separate hype from reality. It's just sad. No Man's Sky has a ridiculous number of sales, so of course it would receive a higher volume of hatred than most broken games. Games that have a lot of hype aren't entitled to good reviews, especially if that hype is based on lies and half-truths.

Bunch of cry babies in this thread.

You pays your money, you takes your choice.

That's not how any of this works. Refunds are a thing for a reason.

Yeah It's a bit embarrassing honestly. This thread's like an admission to being one in the mass of uneducated consumers who are part of the issue when it comes to things like hype and listening to corporate mouthpieces.

Lying to consumers about your product is a violation of Federal Law. There's a certain level of trust that comes with marketing, considering lying is illegal, and that trust was violated by Hello Games.

hemo memo

Gold Member
I understand there's a bit of a demented witch-hunt going on, where everything gets massively overblown and exaggerated. Which is why I've received so many abusive replies for having the temerity to offer a dissenting opinion. Shame on me for my thought crime!

Better that than a society of overgrown, over-entitled infants with no sense of responsibility.

Seriously, 50hours is the equivalent of a working week!

This is not acceptable and should be reported to a mod.

Farewell

I don't wanna request it too many times because Steam would probably stop offering me refunds. Though I'm not giving up just yet.

Yea i don't understand why they are handling refund requests so random, seems like it depends on which person sits on the other end.

if you play a game for 50 hours and then complain about the entire experience, you should be suing yourself for wasting your own time. at minimum wage of $7.25/hr that is $362 of value you have denied yourself.

i guess you can subtract $60 from that, that's on the big bad people that made the game in the first place. that horrible game that wasted your time.

yet you are still in the hole $300, a financial injury committed by you against yourself. how will you receive satisfaction from such injury?

sadly, and ironically, by taking this complaint to the internet and devoting even more of your time, the amount of time wasted is ever-increasing. what's worse, it is inflicting injury on others, including many innocent bystanders whose own time is now wasted.

I don't think it's wise to take time management advice from someone who is lambasting people who are seeking a refund for a faulty product on a video game message board.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
A witch-hunt would imply the criticisms were untrue and notably absent features actually existed. This isn't the case for No Man's Sky. It's a buggy piece of shit, missing features advertised for many years. No hyperbole, just honesty. Given that your recent post history is just shilling, I highly doubt you're interested in valid criticism, however.

I'm not shilling for anyone! That would imply I'm trying to sell or advocate something for my own personal gain.

I couldn't give a toss about NMS specifically, its the reaction and the repercussions of that reaction that are what I've been bothered by.

Feel free to try and prove otherwise.

hemo memo said:
This is not acceptable and should be reported to a mod.

Go back and look at the contention of the poster to whom I was responding. He was saying if everyone adopted my hardline stance it would lead to corporate tyranny, my counterpoint was that relying on the state/institutions to bail everyone out of every case of buyer's remorse, invites an idiocracy. I responded to a hyperbolic hypothetical with one of my own. Its called debate.

Lothars

There is certainly valid criticism for No Man Sky but there is a bunch that isn't valid as well and there is tons of hyperbole. Refunds are a good thing but like that guy that put in 50 hours shouldn't be getting a refund.

It seems like you've made up your mind though.

The witch hunt surrounding No Man's Sky is completely justified.

Why wouldn't a bad, broken game be punished by gamers? I think a lot of gamers are mentally unable to separate hype from reality. It's just sad. No Man's Sky has a ridiculous number of sales, so of course it would receive a higher volume of hatred than most broken games. Games that have a lot of hype aren't entitled to good reviews, especially if that hype is based on lies and half-truths.
lol wow smh at this post. It's not justified to the extent it has happened.

I'd seek a refund of I still wasn't entertained by the game.

I do know I won't trust Sean Murray again with the next game. That guy sucks ass at honesty in public relations/marketing.

J4g3r

9 hours on my Steam log, 3 hours 48 minutes after I sent my refund request.

Just got an email back saying my request for a refund has been denied.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Did you not read where the game got worse for him?

Anyhow, what I was saying is this, if the game was crashing on a consistent basis, even if the frequency never changes, then it would still be justified IMO even if you stick with it for 50 hours. The game never advertised itself with crashes being a feature. A lot of people know that it might be fixed eventually and I think that the poster you are referring to did as well. Thing is, he did HG a favor and gave ample time for the crashes to be fixed before asking for a refund and they didn't. The time that he spent playing was not played how the game was advertised or meant to be played (bug free). He still played and suffered through bugs and crashing. None of that is what he paid for. He expected the game to get better in this regard as time went on and patches came out and it didn't fix his problems. This particular game is supposed to be a time sink. Something that you can play for 100's of hours. His patience ran out for a fixed game and he didn't want to chance having spent $60 on a game that would always be this way for him. So he got a refund. Notice I left out how things actually got worse. Weather or not things staying the same and not getting worse would have been ok for him is up to him, I am not speaking for him. I am just saying that I think it would have still been justifiable either way.

You are speaking for him. His motivations for why he decided to put up with a crashing game rather than return it.

I'm all for refunding a buggy product. But not after you've played it for such a lengthy period. This sounded more like a window of opportunity to score a full refund after getting your fill of a game.

NEO0MJ

There is certainly valid criticism for No Man Sky but there is a bunch that isn't valid as well and there is tons of hyperbole. Refunds are a good thing but like that guy that put in 50 hours shouldn't be getting a refund.

Did you actually read the explanation? The part about the game is constantly crashing every 10 minutes and him showing the log?

Kyoufu

I should get a refund and Sony agreed I should. They didn't care how much time I played the game, it was clearly broken and unacceptable.

Both. Or go the live chat route. Others have had good success going that route!

There's sadly no live chat for steam, I'm stating about the US return policy in my refund so I'm hoping that the automated process finally goes through.

This will probably be my third and final time.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

If you dont mind me asking, what crawled up your ass and how does this effect you that has you so butthurt over a refund? :)

The people in here attacking others for this and In this case it's a damn good reason, is mind blowing

Yeah you can basically do that with any game on Steam as long as you dont abuse the system.
I got a refund for Deus Ex Mankind Divided after 6 hours of shitty performance.

True Fire

lol wow smh at this post. It's not justified to the extent it has happened.

What extent? You guys are complaining about hyperbole but you are the only ones being hyperbolic. No Man's Sky crashes every 20 minutes, the marketing campaign was a lie, and there are very few enjoyable moments in the entire game. Why should people accept that lying down?

Kyoufu

You are speaking for him. His motivations for why he decided to put up with a crashing game rather than return it.

I'm all for refunding a buggy product. But not after you've played it for such a lengthy period. This sounded more like a window of opportunity to score a full refund after getting your fill of a game.

Looks like you still haven't read a thread you've been posting in since the first few pages.

And people say this game sucks. It's provided me with hours of entertainment since before it was released, and I have yet to even play it.

Lothars

I should get a refund and Sony agreed I should. They didn't care how much time I played the game, it was clearly broken and unacceptable.
You still didn't deserve the refund, if the game was so broke for youhow did you play 50 hours? That logically doesn't make any sense if the game was broken nobody would play for that long.

Did you actually read the explanation? The part about the game is constantly crashing every 10 minutes and him showing the log?
Yes I did and I still am questioning the accuracy of it.,

redcrayon

what's your opinion on the error log that poster put in this thread? Do you still think he shouldn't be getting a refund/credit? I don't see how the play time excuses that error log, and neither did Sony, and they've turned down plenty of refund requests.

I agree with you that some of the criticism is unfounded, but a large chunk of it is and multiple-page error logs certainly are.
You still didn't deserve the refund, if the game was so broke for youhow did you play 50 hours? That logically doesn't make any sense if the game was broken nobody would play for that long.

Yes I did and I still am questioning the accuracy of it.,
I don't see why assuming conspiracy makes more sense when the game obviously does crash for some players. When I played Skyrim at launch on PS3, it crashed dozens of times and I kept playing even though I thought it wasn't acceptable for a £40 piece of software.

Top Bottom