• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WOW OMG: Steam is refunding No Man's Sky even if you played more then 2 hours

What's the best way to make steam accept your refund? I tried explaining that it's not fun twice and got rejected.

Now I'm trying to say that my game ran terrible.

Lying to consumers about your product is a violation of Federal Law. There's a certain level of trust that comes with marketing, considering lying is illegal, and that trust was violated by Hello Games.

I don't think I said it wasn't a violation. Just that it's embarrassing how many people fall for it and don't wait/read/research reviews before making a purchase.

Kyoufu

You still didn't deserve the refund, if the game was so broke for youhow did you play 50 hours? That logically doesn't make any sense if the game was broken nobody would play for that long.

Yes I did and I still am questioning the accuracy of it.,

Because, like I said 90 times already, there are no major issues in the first few star systems in the game. I stayed in those star systems for a long time, exploring and gathering as much as I could before it was time to move closer to the galaxy.

I eventually reached a point where the game would crash frequently. It's not hard to understand.

Has anyone here who purchased a code through amazon been able to receive a refund?

This is great news then,

Shit, why did I buy a code from Amazon.

Curious about this as well. If they do this on digital, Amazon may be the place I buy all my games from now on.

Based on this thread and others they seem to have the most consumer friendly return policy.

I always knew they did for physical products but if this extends to digital, checkmate Amazon, you win, you beat me, you get all my gaming money.

lol.

HariKari

You still didn't deserve the refund, if the game was so broke for youhow did you play 50 hours? That logically doesn't make any sense if the game was broken nobody would play for that long.

Deserves got nothing to do with it if Sony is willing to grant him one. He can play a 100 hours and if they'll grant one, it's not on him.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member

God damn you did not read one thing he wrote..

Because, like I said 90 times already, there are no major issues in the first few star systems in the game. I stayed in those star systems for a long time, exploring and gathering as much as I could before it was time to move closer to the galaxy.

I eventually reached a point where the game would crash frequently. It's not hard to understand.

Venom Fox

Banned

It's accurate as can possibly be ffs. It's a photograph.

NEO0MJ

According to the poster it was an issue that was getting progressively worse the longer he played the game. Did you consider people who asked to refund the broken PS3 port of Skyrim thieves as well? You know, the game that completely froze if you played it a certain amount of time?

Lothars

What extent? You guys are complaining about hyperbole but you are the only ones being hyperbolic. No Man's Sky crashes every 20 minutes, the marketing campaign was a lie, and there are very few enjoyable moments in the entire game. Why should people accept that lying down?
You shouldn't but the whole marketing campaing wasn't a lie, It doesn't crash for everyone and the enjoyable moments depends on person to person. I don't even care about the game but I think the whole hate for the game is overblown and still is beyond insane.

According to the poster it was an issue that was getting progressively worse the longer he played the game. Did you consider people who asked to refund the broken PS3 port of Skyrim thieves as well?
I never said he was a thief, I read his posts and I saw the screenshots. He got the refund and Sony felt he deserved it and granted it to him. I'm more wary of the time because normally you can tell if a game is broken way sooner than that. though thinking about it, you are right the ps3 skyrim example is probably the most apt and anyone who played that deserves a refund with how broken that was.

LowParry

What's the best way to make steam accept your refund? I tried explaining that it's not fun twice and got rejected.

Now I'm trying to say that my game ran terrible.

That's what I did. I just put in through support that the game was crashing. Maybe an hour later I had my refund.

Griss

It's good that you enjoyed your time with the game and I mean that but I guess you should ask yourself if this is how you want games to launch? I mean, are you ok with games being filled with bugs and crashes? Do you think that by settling and being ok with it is enabling other developers to get the idea that they can do the same because they see that this is what consumers will put up with now? I'm not coming at you or anything lol. Just food for thought.

Perfectly fair points, so I'd say

a) I'm not as bothered by bugs and crashes as most, particularly when it's clear that a game is doing something technologically new and unique, and
b) It's obvious that the point you made is being delivered loud and clear by thousands of people through refunds and complaints, so I don't really have to add my voice to that.

Cuyejo

Does this game procedurally generate threads on GAF too!!!!!! OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDDD.

sean_murray_mindblown.gif

True Fire

but like that guy that put in 50 hours shouldn't be getting a refund.

Eh, if a waitress spits in your food and serves you tomato soup instead of rigatoni with goat cheese, would you give her a tip? You can debate the morals until the end of time, but the fact remains that the gamer in question sent a message that games like No Man's Sky are not acceptable.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Sony will typically give everyone 1 refund on their account, once you use it up its gone for good. Some people are choosing to use their's on this.

banjoted

I put in for a refund on a different game last night and thought I'd try NMS too on the off chance as I've decided it's really not for me (and I'm not accustomed to paying full price for new PC releases and the wallet was still numb). Low and behold, woke up to find the refund approved and money in my Paypal account.

I'd had six hours played and bought a couple of days before release.

EDIT: Oh and should add - am talking Steam and are based in the UK.

Perfectly fair points, so I'd say

a) I'm not as bothered by bugs and crashes as most, particularly when it's clear that a game is doing something technologically new and unique, and
b) It's obvious that the point you made is being delivered loud and clear by thousands of people through refunds and complaints, so I don't really have to add my voice to that.

That is perfectly fine.

I just know from a lot of firsthand experience that a lot of people just don't think about the consequences of their actions and don't think that they make any difference and all it takes sometimes is just for someone to posit the question. I work with a lot of people in my community who think that things are hopeless in terms of things that they think need to change for the better and can't see that the things they may be doing could effect that change for better or worse. I just try to show them that there is a way for that change if they want it. That is all I was doing here. Have a great day bro!

CHC

PSA filter still delivering - amazing.

Still though, I think this a little bit of a tricky situation. If you played 3, maybe 4 hours.... I guess that's fine. But something seems wrong about spending 20+ hours and then getting a refund. At some point just own your mistake, really.

Kyoufu

PSA filter still delivering - amazing.

Still though, I think this a little bit of a tricky situation. If you played 3, maybe 4 hours.... I guess that's fine. But something seems wrong about spending 20+ hours and then getting a refund. At some point just own your mistake, really.

What kind of mistake did I make to make the game crash as frequently as it did?

If only there was a warning stating the game would cease to be in an acceptabe state after X amount of hours.

Venom Fox

Banned
I don't see how it matters if someone plays 50 hours and gets a refund because the game is faulty. IT IS FAULTY and they deserve a refund because it's one of our rights.

I've played nearly 80 hours of NMS but the realisation that yes the game is broken and yes the game is misdescribed means I am by law entitled to a refund. The game has crashed around 20 times for me with 3 of those being hard locks that could have corrupted my HDD so I'll be getting a refund.

Who are you guys to tell people seeking a refund that we are witch hunting and that we don't deserve one? It's people like you who don't have a back bone who are letting publishers Greenlight broken games to be printed.

We SHOULD BE seeking refunds for broken games and we ARE within our rights to do so!

That's what I did. I just put in through support that the game was crashing. Maybe an hour later I had my refund.

You know what I think there's a specific limit with refunds, if you get past 30 hours I don't think steam accepts it.

Also how many hours did you put into the game.

HariKari

You know what I think there's a specific limit with refunds, if you get past 30 hours I don't think steam accepts it.

Also how many hours did you put into the game.

If you give the reason that the game is unstable with your system, they'll generally approve most refunds. "I didn't like it" is a lot less likely to get a response.

Bleh. I didnt have any luck.

NG99byuh.jpg

Guess I'll just sit on this broken piece of shit until they fix it.

That after I already said I reinstalled it once and rebuilt my database

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Again, those of you with the Steam version who have played it for more than two hours and/or have owned it for more than two weeks since release may have better luck submitting a support ticket instead of using the refund system as at least this way you can be sure that your reasons were actually taken into account, although Valve has a rather embarrassing tendency to issue a recommended response to the opening message instead of actually responding to it properly, so you may need to reiterate why you feel an exception should be made in your case. "Exception" is the key word here, so "It's not fun" and other such justifications are not going to suffice. Experiencing significant technical issues? Stress those. Bummed that the game wasn't what you thought it'd be? Delineate the ways in which you believe you were mislead (hell, the E3 2014 trailer is still up on the store page). Plead your case, essentially.

Again, those of you with the Steam version who have played it for more than two hours and/or have owned it for more than two weeks since release may have better luck submitting a support ticket instead of using the refund system as at least this way you can be sure that your reasons were actually taken into account, although Valve has a rather embarrassing tendency to issue a recommended response to the opening message instead of actually responding to it properly, so you may need to reiterate why you feel an exception should be made in your case. "Exception" is the key word here, so "It's not fun" and other such justifications are not going to suffice. Experiencing significant technical issues? Stress those. Bummed that the game wasn't what you thought it'd it be? Delineate the ways in which you believed you were mislead (hell, the E3 2014 trailer is still up on the store page).

Yeah that was the problem I had with my previous two request, the new one I submitted stated only that the game was running bad on my system.

Veggy

Again, those of you with the Steam version who have played it for more than two hours and/or have owned it for more than two weeks since release may have better luck submitting a support ticket instead of using the refund system as at least this way you can be sure that your reasons were actually taken into account, although Valve has a rather embarrassing tendency to issue a recommended response to the opening message instead of actually responding to it properly, so you may need to reiterate why you feel an exception should be made in your case. "Exception" is the key word here, so "It's not fun" and other such justifications are not going to suffice. Experiencing significant technical issues? Stress those. Bummed that the game wasn't what you thought it'd it be? Delineate the ways in which you believe you were mislead (hell, the E3 2014 trailer is still up on the store page). Plead your case, essentially.

How do you open a ticket? When going through steam support the only options end up being request a refund or contact game support, which just sends me to the NMS website

Corpekata

Banned
Again, those of you with the Steam version who have played it for more than two hours and/or have owned it for more than two weeks since release may have better luck submitting a support ticket instead of using the refund system as at least this way you can be sure that your reasons were actually taken into account, although Valve has a rather embarrassing tendency to issue a recommended response to the opening message instead of actually responding to it properly, so you may need to reiterate why you feel an exception should be made in your case. "Exception" is the key word here, so "It's not fun" and other such justifications are not going to suffice. Experiencing significant technical issues? Stress those. Bummed that the game wasn't what you thought it'd be? Delineate the ways in which you believe you were mislead (hell, the E3 2014 trailer is still up on the store page). Plead your case, essentially.

Amusingly enough I used "It's not fun" as my category for my successful refund. Though I did talk about some of the topics like you did.

Best analogy I've ever seen, courtesy of Xbob42 on Reddit:

It's more like if you were eating a meal at a restaurant, and it tasted... off. And you knew it tasted off, but you kind of kept going because you were hungry, and you've been waiting for the meal for a long time. And you don't want to cause a scene. Then, as you're standing up, someone yells "They're cooking with rats!" and you look into the kitchen and see them skinning rats for all the meat in your meal.

Then you go to the kitchen to see what the hell is up before you vomit, and the entire staff runs away so you can't question them, and it turns out their sink doesn't even work so they weren't even washing their hands. The only person left in the building is a confused looking waiter, whom you must demand a refund from.

After the first rejected automated refund you should have just emailed support like JaseC said.

This is what I'm trying now. I tried to send an email that made it really clear to them from the start that I'm done with this game and I want a refund, hopefully they won't hit back with any kind of "uhh have you tried this fix?" Nonsense.

Top Bottom