• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WOW OMG: Steam is refunding No Man's Sky even if you played more then 2 hours

MUnited83

For you.
What?

So if I play Fallout 3 for like 100 hours, and it crashes because it's unstable, even though I am willfully playing through a game that is unstable for over four days of real world play time, I magically get a refund?

That is insane. He played 50 hours, if the game crashing so much was such a detriment to actually playing the game, how the fuck did he get 50 hours total in playtime without going "fuck this". Unless the game started to continuously crash after a good amount of time and became unplayable, then sure, that is reasonable if the game is now preventing play.

You absolutely should be able to refund that far in. I bought Fallout 3 GOTY on PS3. The base games was a bit unstable but relatively fine.

Then I went to Point Lookout. All hell broke loose. At over 120 hours on the game, I went to Point Lookout and have experience the most possible brokedness I've ever experienced in any AAA game ever made in existence. The game running all over the place at 12 fps, drops to 0 fps a lot of times. Freezes. Crashes. Game was literally unplayable.
Yes, I'd be entitled to get a refund from that piece of shit no matter how much time I put into the base game.

Yeah that's a bummer. I never got far enough to where it crashed. I only played less than 5 hours. I started getting hte feeling that I'd basically seen everything and I looked online and realized that I basically had.
Fair enough man. I hope you have better luck than me with your refund. I hate that I have become so bitter towards this game. Even the things that I was overlooking are starting to piss me off now.

Best analogy I've ever seen, courtesy of Xbob42 on Reddit:
Yeah no.

More like being shown an artist's render of the restaurant to be and a look at the menu from the aspiring chef, and when it's finished and opened you realize the menu isn't fully available because the ingredients are hard to come by but they had to open despite the setback because of numerous delays, expectations, business factors and disappointed awaiting patrons.

The hyperbole is so unreal with you people.

Loving my playtime. Hard to imagine people having a different opinion if the game all of a sudden features giant creatures crashing through the woods.

Jobbs

Banned
"At worst underwhelms players"? Wtf? Game is a broken mess.

and it's not true. there's no simulation really. there's no planets orbiting eachother and molecules being simulated and on and on.. not to mention the endless list of features and promises either hinted or outright confirmed by sean that never ended up in the retail game

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
This analogy is well written but to compare a game that at worst underwhelms players to eating a meal secretly made of rats is disingenuous as fuck.

Maybe, but one could argue Sean Murray was more disingenuous in interviews than that reddit post.

and it's not true. there's no simulation really. there's no planets orbiting eachother and molecules being simulated and on and on.. not to mention the endless list of features and promises either hinted or outright confirmed by sean that never ended up in the retail game
None of those things amount to a game drastically different than what we have. After playing, I realize I don't really want to travel 100x as far to each planet and keep track of where it is in its orbit around the star.

wildfire

Banned
Some posters on the reddit are saying that with a steam refund, the publisher/developer takes the hit but steam still keeps their cut

This would be very expensive for hello games then, at $18 per copy refunded on steam (30% cut right?). In other words $180,000 per 10,000 refunds.

Good, fuck them after they made this arguably fuck you note in the Atlas Stones collection.

Nothing is real, existence is an imitation of life, a model made by jaded intellects, enslaved to their actuality as I am enslaved to mine.

Basically the Atlas stones flavor text comes across as insight in how to the devs think and this line was part of their thoughts on your journey getting to the center of the universe which in of itself was a total sham in how Murray described the experience.

I am disappointed with the final product as it's very underwhelming, but I've enjoyed the game enough for what it is to not ask for a full refund. I'm patiently waiting for some content updates.

I would however like at least a partial refund for my limited edition because it was supposed to come with a dynamic theme and it's a static theme instead.

Veggy

After trying 3 times through the steam ticket system, I give up, just the same shitty automated message every time

We are unable to refund this purchase to your Steam Wallet at this time. Your playtime of an included product exceeds 2 hours (our refund policy maximum).
No Man's Sky - Playtime: More than 2 hours (including offline play)

Purchased: Aug 11, 2016 BST

Requests are considered on a case by case basis and are not typically issued for purchases of released products that are more than 14 days old, or if the purchased product has more than 2 hours of playtime. For in-game items the refund period is 48 hours and the item must not have been consumed, modified, or transferred.

I've never even had a steam refund before, I've had steam for years, thanks.....

After trying 3 times through the steam ticket system, I give up, just the same shitty automated message every time

We are unable to refund this purchase to your Steam Wallet at this time. Your playtime of an included product exceeds 2 hours (our refund policy maximum).

Requests are considered on a case by case basis and are not typically issued for purchases of released products that are more than 14 days old, or if the purchased product has more than 2 hours of playtime. For in-game items the refund period is 48 hours and the item must not have been consumed, modified, or transferred.

I've never even had a steam refund before, I've had steam for years, thanks.....

Keep trying. $60 could help you a lot.

wig

You could argue that I got my monies worth because I did enjoy it for a few dozen hours. But the fact that I cant play it anymore unless I start over is fucking ridiculous and makes me want my money back regardless of the time I enjoyed with it.

This is me. I enjoyed what I played but I have zero desire to start all over again. Good game but the bugs completely ruined it for me.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
You could argue that I got my monies worth because I did enjoy it for a few dozen hours. But the fact that I cant play it anymore unless I start over is fucking ridiculous and makes me want my money back regardless of the time I enjoyed with it.

By this logic you should be able to demand a refund for any game you've finished.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I didnt finish it.

I figured you meant
you got to the center and now you have to start over and you don't want to.

Are you saying you hit a point where you just can't play the game anymore? It crashes no matter what or something? A bug stranded you?

Aselith

On PC or console?

I figured you meant

Are you saying you hit a point where you just can't play the game anymore? It crashes no matter what or something? A bug stranded you?
I quit playing because of frequent crashes every 5 min or so. I was only a few trophies away from my platinum so I put it back on to get it. I had to make 3 warps to get the platinum and the game crashed 5 times. It crashes when Im just walking, it crashes when I open my inventory, when I warp, when I enter the atmosphere, when I get out of my ship, when I upload my discoveries. It really got put of hand. Plus the "you already know this" bug prevented me from getting new upgrades, my ship got stuck on multiple occasions where I had to walk to find a landing pad just to call it there to have it still be stuck on the landing pad to walk to another outpost where I could call my ship to have it be stuck again and waste literally hours just trying to get my ship to take off. It was just unbearable.

I figured you meant

I had to start over. My save got completely fucked. If I tried to leave the planet surface, it crashed

HowZatOZ

Banned
Loving my playtime. Hard to imagine people having a different opinion if the game all of a sudden features giant creatures crashing through the woods.
And that's fine, but why is it a problem for people to get refunds? If they feel like the game isnt how they expected it to be or hasn't evolved into the game they hoped than that's perfectly valid. Maybe Giant creatures crashing through the woodswil get people back, maybe it won't, but that doesn't mean we can't express our feelings towards the game and request a refund. If you want to block your ears of hyperbole then the OT is perfect for that.

Gamezone

Gold Member
I am disappointed with the final product as it's very underwhelming, but I've enjoyed the game enough for what it is to not ask for a full refund. I'm patiently waiting for some content updates.

I would however like at least a partial refund for my limited edition because it was supposed to come with a dynamic theme and it's a static theme instead.

I honestly don't think Hello Games will continue to care too much about this game after what they did.

darthbob

Same here, for the first 3 attempts I chose the option for "game not as advertised", but now I'll have to mention how terrible the performance still is on my system. I'm using a GTX 1070 and the game stutters horribly despite all the optimization tweaks. Interestingly enough the game worked pretty well on the 1st day but it's just steadily gotten worse.

If you put 50hrs into something before you demanded a refund... Shame on you.

Doesn't matter whether its actual or hypothetical, its straight up unjustifiable.

If it takes you 50hrs to make that determination? Sorry, but I think the window has long since closed on whether it passes fit-for-purpose.

So that 50hrs has no material value? C'mon... at some point you need to accept that it does.

No "we" here. Personally I take a hardline attitude where even the 2 hour window is excessive in my view.

I say, you pays your money and you takes your choice. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, either way its just a game not something with a functional imperative like meds for a sick child.

You paid for the show. Take responsibility for that decision, and certainly don't expect sympathy from everyone else.

Better that than a society of overgrown, over-entitled infants with no sense of responsibility.

Seriously, 50hours is the equivalent of a working week!

I understand there's a bit of a demented witch-hunt going on, where everything gets massively overblown and exaggerated. Which is why I've received so many abusive replies for having the temerity to offer a dissenting opinion. Shame on me for my thought crime!

v0qXwbL.gif

Green Yoshi

The shop employee said I could exchange it for another game. So I picked up Deux Ex: Mankind Divided. Nice customer service.

I played NMS for 4-6 hours.

Kyoufu

What?

So if I play Fallout 3 for like 100 hours, and it crashes because it's unstable, even though I am willfully playing through a game that is unstable for over four days of real world play time, I magically get a refund?

That is insane. He played 50 hours, if the game crashing so much was such a detriment to actually playing the game, how the fuck did he get 50 hours total in playtime without going "fuck this". Unless the game started to continuously crash after a good amount of time and became unplayable, then sure, that is reasonable if the game is now preventing play.

There you go.

Veggy

Same here, for the first 3 attempts I chose the option for "game not as advertised", but now I'll have to mention how terrible the performance still is on my system. I'm using a GTX 1070 and the game stutters horribly despite all the optimization tweaks. Interestingly enough the game worked pretty well on the 1st day but it's just steadily gotten worse.

My first 2 tickets we're for performance and game crashing, 3rd one was game not as advertised, I went into detail for all 3 and no luck, just shitty automated "durrr u played over 2 hours" messages

Zukuu

Banned
Hahaha. Wow.

I've got like 3 hour in Pillars of Eternity and I got bored. I wonder if I can get a refund.
Should have made up your mind after 2 hours. That's on you.

"He I just watched 90% of your movie, I got bored I want a refund."
"Hey that statue I bought 10 years ago is now boring me, it's still in mint condition, so give me a refund".

You've got to draw a line at some point. It's absolutely necessary, otherwise you open up pandoras box. 2 hours is very fair (although I think it needs to be ingame time only, not time you spend in the graphics options or something).
Getting your money worth does not equal enjoyment of said product and or services. It's worse if what was promised was not delivered and the state of the game gets worse when your trying to justify the purchase.
That's what impressions, footage, reviews and the 2 hour demo period are for. See the movie example above. Just because "you don't like it" doesn't entitle you to a refund beyond the 2 hour period. The game isn't all that different 1 hour in, 2 hours in or 20 hours in, so I don't see how you can't make up your mind at that point. That's like saying "I had to craft diamond armor in minecraft first so see if I like it".

I grasped within an hour that NMS is very tedious and boring to me. I don't see how anyone needs another 19 hours to come to that realization, and if you do, it's solely on you.

george_us

I don't see how it matters if someone plays 50 hours and gets a refund because the game is faulty. IT IS FAULTY and they deserve a refund because it's one of our rights.

I've played nearly 80 hours of NMS but the realisation that yes the game is broken and yes the game is misdescribed means I am by law entitled to a refund. The game has crashed around 20 times for me with 3 of those being hard locks that could have corrupted my HDD so I'll be getting a refund.

Who are you guys to tell people seeking a refund that we are witch hunting and that we don't deserve one? It's people like you who don't have a back bone who are letting publishers Greenlight broken games to be printed.

We SHOULD BE seeking refunds for broken games and we ARE within our rights to do so!
Nah man. You keep your broken game and you shut the fuck up like a good consumer. You think you're entitled to a working product out of the box just because you paid money for it?! Quite being so entitled!

Wensih

What?

There you go.

People want to give their expert opinion without knowing the situation. I'm glad you got your refund Kyoufu.

PSN chat request for a refund:

So they did it as a one time courtesy. If there's any game I'd like to have a refund on, it's this one, so I'm happy.

I got a refund on it last week and my conversation went almost exactly like this, i got the impression then that they say the "one time" thing a lot. Normally i would never bother getting a refund, if i buy a game and don't like it then fair enough, but Murrays a conman in my eyes, so i was made up to get my money back. Glad other people are doing the same.

Grassy

The shop employee said I could exchange it for another game. So I picked up Deux Ex: Mankind Divided. Nice customer service.

I played NMS for 4-6 hours.

I plan on using my refund for Deus Ex as well, if it's accepted of course. 12 hours playtime here.

The only other game I've refunded on Steam was Just Cause 3 after ~1.5 hours or so.

LoveCake

I very nearly pulled the trigger on pre-ordering this but, I have learned my lesson now after getting burnt fingers too many times now, so I don't pre-order any games other than ones I know I will play and will buy anyway, these are very few though, a game I am interested in from R* other than that GTA is a dead cert as well as any Forza game.

My worry is that games seem to be having more and more release issues, now I know that this issue with No Man's Sky is slightly different, being a game that is different from advertised, but a game should work straight out of the box (on consoles at least) I know that the physical disc is made weeks maybe a month in advance so there isn't a problem with a day one patch, but none-the less us gamers need to start taking a hard-line against the pubs/devs.

Top Bottom