• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WOW OMG: Steam is refunding No Man's Sky even if you played more then 2 hours

Just tried over psn- chat to get refund twice for no man's sky. Can't leave first world without game crashing. Have play 4 hours. Told me that since game was purchased under terms and such no such refund is available period .

Which is bullshit because they gave me a refund. Keep trying? Might just depend on what customer service guy you get.

Just tried over psn- chat to get refund twice for no man's sky. Can't leave first world without game crashing. Have play 4 hours. Told me that since game was purchased under terms and such no such refund is available period .
Thats what I got too. Ill prolly try again

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
The straw that broke the camels back for me even after dealing with constant crashes was the game bugging to the point I could no longer learn recipes for crafting. It would constantly say I have stuff I didn't have yet and I wouldn't get it or reward me with the things you start the game with as new recipes which did nothing as they were not real recipes so they didn't show up. At this point the game literally just became go forward towards the center and there is nothing else for you to do to improve as a player. This was quite some ways in. This shit was frustrating after dealing with the game crashing 5 times straight on loading up I just said fuck it

Fushin

Got a PSN refund. Only played for a few hours. Really tired of the constant crashes, even if they were predictable. Hoping it gets patched up in the future and I'll give it another shot then.

redcrayon

Returning a game after 50+ hours feels like stealing. Nothing to brag about.
So you didn't reach the point on page 1 where he said that it started to crash constantly, becoming unable to continue towards an ending at that point?

Feels like you dived in to make accusations without even reading the first page. Not sure how asking for a refund, showing proof of faulty product, and a seller then agreeing that you should have one, makes you anything like a thief. That's just weird.

How?! I have less than 3 hours and steam refuses to refund it even though I have never had anything refunded from them before after all these years

Please describe what you did!

went to https://help.steampowered.com/en/
then purchase, clicked on no mans sky, clicked refund, and said the game was falsely advertised or something like that.

Got an email saying "Hello dusktildawn48
Your purchase has been refunded by Steam.
We’ve issued the refund to the payment provider. You should see a credit or see the original charge removed from your statement within 14 days."

MrDaravon

I just requested refund, put in some information regarding the issue, and it printed a label for me.

Just write in you feel lied to and cold.

Amazon is anything like Steam, then it would be the developers of No Man's Sky that takes a hit, not Amazon. So go get your money back.

Hmm, thanks for the responses. When I get home I'll look into this; Amazon has been so incredibly generous for me in terms of giving me credits etc for shipping snafus, condition of used items etc that I kind of feel genuinely bad to even ask for a refund on this considering none of this is their fault lol. I may still just sell it second hand and take a bit of a hit, the Prime 20% discount I got on it's own will probably largely negate any personal losses anyway.

Veggy

Really?

I've only requested a steam refund once and it's definitely not automated from my experience. A person reviews the info you submit it and they approve or deny it.

It definitely doesn't feel like it's automated.

All of their replies to me have been the exact same automated message regardless of what I said in the description

JayBabay

Really?

I've only requested a steam refund once and it's definitely not automated from my experience. A person reviews the info you submit it and they approve or deny it.

It definitely doesn't feel like it's automated.

The first 2 hours played / 2 weeks owned are automated. It's almost guaranteed that if you pass those two parameters it will approve.

hamchan

Did this cause the game to completely fall off the global top sellers list on Steam? Because I can't find it there anymore.

Veggy

We’ve issued the refund to the payment provider. You should see a credit or see the original charge removed from your statement within 14 days."

Did you open a ticket? What did you write for them to give you the refund?

50 hours of playtime and still got a refund, wow , that's just crazy

Under 2 hours I'd understand but if you play for more than 5 hours , I'd say no

DrArchon

What Steam should really do is remove that fraudulent E3 2014 trailer that's being used to market and represent the game on the store page, but offering some leniency on refunds is better than what I expected from Valve.

Cheech

I skimmed the last several pages of the thread and didn't see anything, and Amazon link in the op just took me to the main Amazon CS page, what did I miss? I'm intrigued, but since I redeemed the code in the box I don't know that I would feel right making Amazon take that hit, will probably just try to sell it and recoup some of my costs.

I so rarely ever pre-order anything too :(. This whole thing has bummed me out so bad. Never again.

Yeah, I did get a refund for an opened game from Amazon once.

Fallout New Vegas. 360. Some bug in the game, and at launch it was just rotten with them, ate my saves at 25-30 hours played. ALL my saves broke. No idea why. I was so angry, and spend so much with Amazon, I thought I'd try my luck. Refund approved.

Rebought the game from them on PC 6 months later when they fixed the damn thing, so no harm no foul. But I do hope that they would make pubs eat these things instead of taking the hit themselves.

Didn't the guy's saves break? Regardless of hours played, I'd say that's justification. It reeks of bad QA, and these companies have to make sure their save system is rock solid, because it pretty much breaks their product otherwise.

MrDaravon

Wow, out of curiosity I looked at the trade in value for the PS4 version at Gamestop and it's $17 which is pretty shockingly low for this recent of a major release/seller. I'll have to swing by the one next to my work tomorrow, wonder if they're sitting on stacks of these already.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Most justified refund I've ever received for a game, I'm glad they're refunding even for people who played more than two hours, because the first two hours are definitely not representative of what's wrong with the game.

Jebusman

Banned
What Steam should really do is remove that fraudulent E3 2014 trailer that's being used to market and represent the game on the store page, but offering some leniency on refunds is better than what I expected from Valve.

This. I'm surprised they're actually still allowed to run the trailer. The UI being completed different should've been the first clue that maybe this footage isn't representative of the final game.

SpecX

Bought this game twice and still enjoy it, but thinking about returning the LE to Amazon. Never opened it and after the ship breaking to game, never bothered with touching that version. Not going to ask for a refund on the digital copy, but will get my 80 bucks back for the physical.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Most justified refund I've ever received for a game, I'm glad they're refunding even for people who played more than two hours, because the first two hours are definitely not representative of what's wrong with the game.
Exactly most issues with the game pop up around 10+ hours depending on of you move forward into space. It only snowballs overtime

If my game stopped working, I would ask for a refund, no matter if I played it for 5 minutes or 50 hours. I would like to be able to keep playing the game I bought.

d00d3n

I am well over the 14 day limit, but have only played the game for 8 minutes. I have asked for a refund.

redcrayon

Read post #29. It started to crash regularly at that point and the error log is pretty damning proof. Having had the same thing with a couple of Bethesda's games, I think it's perfectly fine to ask for a refund at that point if you are suddenly frustratingly unable to continue/complete the game. Sony evidently agreed.

Halfmunch

Don't know why you linked this, I saw the picture of his crash logs.

Why do that when they could just rebuy it whenif they fix it. They don't have the best track record with delivering promises so some skepticism is warranted.

You right about this... we all love gaming as a hobby/entertainment, out of respect for all the people who worked on the game not just Sean Murray and 50 hours of playtime... I am "suggesting" to give them a chance to improve the game. Just something to think about if you don't care then get a refund.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Don't know why you linked this, I saw the picture of his crash logs.

You right about this... we all love gaming as a hobby/entertainment, out of respect for all the people who worked on the game not just Sean Murray and 50 hours of playtime... I am "suggesting" to give them a chance to improve the game. Just something to think about if you don't care then get a refund.
He can just buy the game again if he feels like they fixed things and it is worth it. Right now he feels ripped off and didn't get what he thought he payed for. People go to court over shit like this, a refund is nothing.

Just got a PSN refund. Ten minute wait, then about three minutes in chat. I pre-ordered and played a few hours around launch. I was really, really disappointed with it but never would have considered a refund until seeing this thread, so thanks!

Hopefully, I've finally learned my fucking lesson regarding day one purchases of single player games.

spidye

so we should accept broken games because someday they'll probably/maybe/presumably will get fixed?

I don't know much about HelloGames or if they can fix their game in a short amount of time but this a very dangerous attitude towards your rights as a consumer.

Out of respect for the people who worked on it. Fucking lol. Why are gamers so emotionally attached to the developers and industry. If I bought any other product, that stopped working after using it for a week or two, I would ask for a refund. If they fix the problem, I could always re-buy it later. Don't care about who made it, or how many worked on it, or if they were owned by a big corporation or not. If they delivered a shit product that doesn't work, I will want a refund.

cooperma

Just got a PSN refund. Ten minute wait, then about three minutes in chat. I pre-ordered and played a few hours around launch. I was really, really disappointed with it but never would have considered a refund until seeing this thread, so thanks!

Hopefully, I've finally learned my fucking lesson regarding day one purchases of single player games.

Did they ask anything in particular? Two people I talked to said no refund available

bobawesome

So you didn't reach the point on page 1 where he said that it started to crash constantly, becoming unable to continue towards an ending at that point?

Feels like you dived in to make accusations without even reading the first page. Not sure how asking for a refund, showing proof of faulty product, and a seller then agreeing that you should have one, makes you anything like a thief. That's just weird.

React now, read later.

Fushin

Did they ask anything in particular? Two people I talked to said no refund available

They just asked me if the email and account I was using for the chat was the correct one for the profile, and what day I purchased the game. The rep said this would be a one time courtesy since it goes against the User Agreement that all sales are final. I guess just keep trying?

cooperma

They just asked me if the email and account I was using for the chat was the correct one for the profile, and what day I purchased the game. The rep said this would be a one time courtesy since it goes against the User Agreement that all sales are final. I guess just keep trying?

Dumb question I asked that you answered in previous my bad!

hamchan

So people have been coming in and getting upset at the 50+ hour refund thing, not understanding how consumer rights work at all, for nearly 20 pages now?!

What a fun thread.

Veggy

went to https://help.steampowered.com/en/
then purchase, clicked on no mans sky, clicked refund, and said the game was falsely advertised or something like that.

Ah thanks for this, now hopefully I will get a non automated response!

Coketruck

Same situation: PSN, four hour playtime, constant crashes. The customer service rep I chatted with told me that normally all sales are final, but "as a gesture of goodwill" he would authorize a one-time exception and grant the refund. I guess it just depends on how generous the rep is feeling.

Top Bottom