• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WOW OMG: Steam is refunding No Man's Sky even if you played more then 2 hours

MrDaravon

Buying the physical LE of this from Amazon and opening it is probably my biggest gaming purchase regret this generation. For once opting to go physical over digital has screwed me :(

Good luck to everyone!

People want to give their expert opinion without knowing the situation. I'm glad you got your refund Kyoufu.

Or you know he could have just fucking said that instead of having pages and pages of responses where everyone is assuming he trudged through fifty hours of constant crashing (somehow still having the patience and playing for 50+ hours), instead of playing for a decent amount of time and then having the game become unplayable after a set period of time.

Venom Fox

Banned
Nah man. You keep your broken game and you shut the fuck up like a good consumer. You think you're entitled to a working product out of the box just because you paid money for it?! Quite being so entitled!
Lmao this is what it feels like people are saying.

Sanjuro

I was considering biting the bullet, but this thread convinced me to process the refund for this game.

What a mess.

Buying the physical LE of this from Amazon and opening it is probably my biggest gaming purchase regret this generation. For once opting to go physical over digital has screwed me :(

Good luck to everyone!

You can't get a refund for that? I know that people are getting refunds for the physical non LE versions.

Maybe you could get lucky selling it on E-bay or something? Or you could try the buy sell trade thread here. Although, that wont have as much of an impact for HG if you where wanting to send a message with a refund. :/ At least you could recoup some of the cost though.

EDIT: Just saw this,

Good News. You can get Amazon to side with you even if you bought the LE Physical copy!

Awesome! Good guy Amazon!

MrDaravon

Good News. You can get Amazon to side with you even if you bought the LE Physical copy!

I skimmed the last several pages of the thread and didn't see anything, and Amazon link in the op just took me to the main Amazon CS page, what did I miss? I'm intrigued, but since I redeemed the code in the box I don't know that I would feel right making Amazon take that hit, will probably just try to sell it and recoup some of my costs.

I so rarely ever pre-order anything too :(. This whole thing has bummed me out so bad. Never again.

Sanjuro

I skimmed the last several pages of the thread and didn't see anything, and Amazon link in the op just took me to the main Amazon CS page, what did I miss? I'm intrigued, but since I redeemed the code in the box I don't know that I would feel right making Amazon take that hit, will probably just try to sell it and recoup some of my costs.

I so rarely ever pre-order anything too :(. This whole thing has bummed me out so bad. Never again.

I just requested refund, put in some information regarding the issue, and it printed a label for me.

Just write in you feel lied to and cold.

Amazon is anything like Steam, then it would be the developers of No Man's Sky that takes a hit, not Amazon. So go get your money back.

Mivey

Must be a glitch. Valve made 30% of Hello Games con money, why would they agree to make an exception that could cost them millions?

Venom Fox

Banned
Must be a glitch. Valve made 30% of Hello Games con money, why would they agree to make an exception that could cost them millions?
Because it'd be bad customer service to deny every request and in some countries it's the law which they cannot break.

Or you know he could have just fucking said that instead of having pages and pages of responses where everyone is assuming he trudged through fifty hours of constant crashing (somehow still having the patience and playing for 50+ hours), instead of playing for a decent amount of time and then having the game become unplayable after a set period of time.

Bro, The explanation is on the first flipping page of the thread, post 29.

You only have to read to 29 posts on the first page to answer the question before you make posts that just waste everyone's time and make you look... bad to put it nicely.

You don't even need to read that much if you just followed the post in the OP which is where I am guessing most are coming across it.

Wensih

Like here on the first page?

Because I reached a point where the game would crash very frequently. I'm not having that.

or here?

Like I already said, it only became unplayable when I started travelling. I was in the starter systems for a long time. Then I travelled and the game went to crap.

To me it just seems like they did QA in the beginning star systems and thought the rest of the game would be fine. *shrug*

or here?

Because it happened towards the tail end of my playtime.

I sound like a broken record lol.

or here?

Because, like I said 90 times already, there are no major issues in the first few star systems in the game. I stayed in those star systems for a long time, exploring and gathering as much as I could before it was time to move closer to the galaxy.

I eventually reached a point where the game would crash frequently. It's not hard to understand.

redcrayon

Because they sell lots of other games and hassle-free refunds means happy customers that buy with confidence? I doubt it's a strict exception regarding NMS, they have processed all kinds of refunds for other games outside of the two-hour mark, sometimes out of goodwill, sometimes because the account doesn't refund very often etc.

Same goes for Amazon, the odd refund to a customer that buys practically everything from you because its convenient and largely hassle-free means nothing when their account is worth hundreds of pounds per year over decades.

If you view the account in terms of longevity (some Steam or Amazon accounts must be quite long in the tooth by now), a refund is minuscule compared to losing a loyal account. It's why eBay comes down hard on the side of buyers for good or ill too.

In some countries consumer law regarding distance/online selling is stronger than others too.

What a shit thread.

Guy gets a refund for a game that crashes constantly, rendering it almost entirely unplayable, and 200 people jump on him and call him scum because he managed to get 50 hours out of it before the crashes.

You're better than this, GAF.

inky

Good on everyone who is getting a refund. Poor on Sony to not honor them even when the game is crashing like mad. I know it's their TOS, but we shouldn't accept it as consumers.

It helps to play this song during the process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htyNQaD8h-k

Should just add this along with the Consumer rights link with every ones refund requests honestly.

EDIT: Oh man, the song that came on after that one is perfectly apt right now lol. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyXz6eMCj2k

Man would that be awesome if everyone who wanted answers and are getting refunds started tweeting that at HG. I wonder how much of an impact that would have lol.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Every time this happens, I hope that the next big console exclusive doesn't suffer from similar overhype.

But who am I kidding, I'm just going to pray for Geurilla Games in advance.

Ultryx

I see some of you asking about Steam refunds. I've tried mine on 3 different occasions and each time I've been denied. I have 4 hours and 26 minutes played.

Steam has gotten back to me within 3-4 hours each time, or so.

Should just add this along with the Consumer rights link with every ones refund requests honestly.

EDIT: Oh man, the song that came on after that one is perfectly apt right now lol. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyXz6eMCj2k

Man would that be awesome if everyone who wanted answers and are getting refunds started tweeting that at HG. I wonder how much of an impact that would have lol.

Do you have the consumer rights link? I have been knocked back twice with 3 hours playtime

Interesting, think I might try to go for a refund on psn. Played about 8 hours and don't plan on playing anymore. Game is an overhyped tech demo and crashes all the time. Would see at least a couple of crashes every time I played it.

redcrayon

Interesting, think I might try to go for a refund on psn. Played about 8 hours and don't plan on playing anymore. Game is an overhyped tech demo and crashes all the time. Would see at least a couple of crashes every time I played it.
I'd definitely lead with 'crashes all the time' over 'overhyped tech demo' when filling out the 'why' bit :D

hamchan

Well that's amazing. Obviously one can't do this with every game, lest Valve thinks you're abusing the system, but if there's one game to request a refund on outside of the norm it's No Man's Sky.

Halfmunch

I got my refund from PSN customer support a couple nights ago.

50+ hours of playtime.

Not surprised to see Steam doing the same thing.

edit: Since nobody wants to read threads anymore:

Cqy9V42XYAAa6fh.jpg

Come on this is so wrong... 50 hours!? You enjoyed the game at this point give the devs a chance to fix it.

Landford

Banned
I submited a ticket, and now there is a "My questions" thing on my steam support page. Someone will answer that denying the refund in case someone reads it? Never asked a refund before.

I'd definitely lead with 'crashes all the time' over 'overhyped tech demo' when filling out the 'why' bit :D

Yeah was going to. They aren't going to refund something just because I dislike it but I think the crashes are a valid excuse. Hellos fault for putting out the game in this state.

LoveCake

I wonder if the snowball effect is taking hold and now they are starting to deny refunds?

I wonder what the costs would be if Sony/Hello just recalled the game? (looking at it, the game was dev and pub by Hello)

E3: How No Man's Sky took on the games industry - and won < from June 2014.

Hello Games in total is 10 people, with just a handful working on No Man's Sky."

I don't know, but I doubt Hello has the funds to cover any refunds if they are that small a company, where does the blame lay though, who was hyping the game, were Sony taking what Hello were saying out of context?

I know what I have put above is slightly off topic (I apologize) but could this be a game-changer (no pun intended) for the industry?

cooperma

Just tried over psn- chat to get refund twice for no man's sky. Can't leave first world without game crashing. Have play 4 hours. Told me that since game was purchased under terms and such no such refund is available period .

Top Bottom