• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WOW OMG: Steam is refunding No Man's Sky even if you played more then 2 hours

Kyoufu

I read the OP. What is more frustrating: accusations in this thread or the crashing constantly in nms?

Crashing in NMS, because I didn't hate the game like some others here.

I think it's poor form to release patches and no patch notes with them and go on this weird radio silence for the past 8 days or so. I get that they're busy and likely working long nights to fix their game but communication with their customers is very important.

Halfmunch

Out of respect for the people who worked on it. Fucking lol. Why are gamers so emotionally attached to the developers and industry. If I bought any other product, that stopped working after using it for a week or two, I would ask for a refund. If they fix the problem, I could always re-buy it later. Don't care about who made it, or how many worked on it, or if they were owned by a big corporation or not. If they delivered a shit product that doesn't work, I will want a refund.

you are completely right I was just making a suggestion to think about before jumping on the refund bandwagon. You don't have to care about who made any product.

hamchan

Damn. Hopefully you can find something that scratches the same itch.

I followed the reddit post in the OP and bought Subnautica for that survival-exploration itch.

900k owners on Steam, a lot of very positive reviews, developers seem honest about what the game is and the early access state it has. Plus it's on sale too so seemed a pretty safe buy.

rdytoroll

Any Germans/Europeans in here got a refund on PSN? How did you contact them? I've been trying to fill out the contact form for a few hours now, but it keeps giving me a error that their Email system isn't working (suuure.. Sony). There's no live chat either, seems like that option only exists for NA

Ambient80

Also received a refund from PSN.

Gerson: Hello, My name is Gerson how may I assist you today?
Me: Hello! Yes, I would like to apply for a refund for a game purchased on my account.
Gerson: Hello Matthew
Me: Hello Gerson :)
Gerson: I'm sorry to know that you request a refund for this content. But no worries, I will be happy to guide you in this process. So we will find the best solution for you. Can I please have the Online ID where the product was purchased, and the transaction ID?
Me: Yes, the online ID is ****, the account linked to my email.
Me: The transaction ID.... I don't recall that ID, but the game purchased was No Man's Sky.
Me: Hopefully that helps :)
Gerson: Thanks.
Gerson: Before we continue could you please provide me with your phone number to keep your file updated?
Me: I know that normally a refund is not issued, but the game, I believe, was not what was advertised, and I have had multiple technical issues with the game.
Me: Yes, my phone number is 555-555-5555
Gerson: May I ask for the name of the game?
Me: Yes, it's No Man's Sky
Gerson: Alright. Just hold on a minute while I gather the necessary information.
Me: Thank you, Gerson.
Gerson: Thanks for waiting
Gerson: Let's review the policies for the refund
Gerson: According to the user agreement all sales are final; however, I will submit the refund for review
Gerson: Your refund will be processed as a one-time Gesture of Goodwill back to your wallet. Your refund will be reviewed within 3-5 business days and you’ll receive an email once it’s been approved or denied.
Me: I appreciate that, Gerson.
Gerson: For reference, your refund case number is ******
Me: Excellent, thank you.
Gerson: Ok, case is set Matthew
Gerson: Is there any other issue or question that I can help you with presently?
Me: No, that's all I needed!
Gerson: Thank you for being great. And thank you for being part of the PlayStation family!
Me: Thank you for your help, and have a good evening :)
Gerson: You're welcome Matthew. Have an awesome rest of the day! Good bye!
The agent has ended the chat.

Haha np. Up all night with sick toddlers. Life is unfunny lol

I hear that! NP man, I think my wife and I and our son are starting to come down with something as well. Wife is an herbalist though which helps immensely.

Any Germans/Europeans in here got a refund on PSN? How did you contact them? I've been trying to fill out the contact form for a few hours now, but it keeps giving me a error that their Email system isn't working (suuure.. Sony). There's no live chat either, seems like that option only exists for NA

I believe so, but as has been stated before, if it doesn't work the first time and you are in the EU try posting this along with your request.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act

Filth

for anyone who is being denied a refund my friend was denied then retried with a different reason and got his money back.

Lagamorph

Apparently gog.com are knocking back refund requests by telling people to wait for patches....

This DRM-free alternative isn't so great in every way it seems.

eQ5enm1.jpg

spit water all over myself laughing

OuterLimits

I actually like the game but the crashes on PS4 are annoying. It was doing better after the patches but last night I had 3 crashes. All in the same solar system for some reason. Two while flying over a planet and one while walking on a different planet.

Those Hello Games guys must feel like shit. This has been an absolute disaster.

Then they should offer everyone a refund, no questions asked. They should open up publicly about the game's development struggles, why Sean lied, why they couldn't deliver the game they promised No Man's Sky would be up to the day of release. Sean should make some sort of public statement about the current state of the game and how Hello Games deeply regrets the inadequacy of their response to the controversy up to this point.

Effect

Apparently gog.com are knocking back refund requests by telling people to wait for patches....

This DRM-free alternative isn't so great in every way it seems.

Yeah GOG's policy I believe is to first try to help make the game work at the very least and if problems still exist then they'll do a refund within their 30 day window. However I would think now that two patches have taken place they should be giving refunds for those that are still having issues. They're a smaller store so they're less likely overall I think to want to give refunds so they might be more wary about things people say. So I would expect people to have a harder time with them.

Good on other stores letting the refunds happen. Got mine that first day via Steam after trying the game and even then I was within the 2 hour to 3 hour window. I think that's the normal window given that Steam can give you two time readings (Library and the Support section). People getting refunds beyond that time spent playing is the surprise.

Sucks for the Hello Games employees (Not Sean Murray though. Screw him.) but this has to happen so no one else decides to pull this BS in the future. Stuff like this should be punished and you do that buy hurting a company where it matters, their bank account. Their relationship with the stores where their games will be sold. Even if it's only a little bit.

SomTervo

If they are more lenient with refunds hopefully that will get Hello to wake the fuck up.

It will be interesting to see how much they lose out of this.

Lagamorph

Yeah GOG's policy I believe is to first try to help make the game work at the very least and if problems still exist then they'll do a refund within their 30 day window. However I would think now that two patches have taken place they should be giving refunds for those that are still having issues. They're a smaller store so they're less likely overall I think to want to give refunds so they might be more wary about things people say. So I would expect people to have a harder time with them.

Good on other stores letting the refunds happen. Got mine that first day after trying the game and even then I was within the 2 hour to 3 hour window. I think that's the norm window given that Steam can give you two time readings (Libray and the Support section). People getting refunds beyond that time spent playing is the surprise.

Sucks for the Hello Games employees (Not Sean Murray though. Screw him.) but this has to happen so no one else decides to pull this BS in the future. Stuff like this should be punished and you do that buy hurting a company where it matters, their bank account. Their relationship with the stores where their games will be sold. Even if it's only a little bit.

I'll probably give them a try tomorrow, saying that I'm still getting crashes despite having the available patches.
Debating on whether to throw in the "Mis-advertised missing features" but I think I'll probably be flogging a dead horse with that one.

Effect

I'll probably give them a try tomorrow, saying that I'm still getting crashes despite having the available patches.
Debating on whether to throw in the "Mis-advertised missing features" but I think I'll probably be flogging a dead horse with that one.

Yeah I would lean on the technical issues and patches with them.

Then they should offer everyone a refund, no questions asked. They should open up publicly about the game's development struggles, why Sean lied, why they couldn't deliver the game they promised No Man's Sky would be up to the day of release. Sean should make some sort of public statement about the current state of the game and how Hello Games deeply regrets the inadequacy of their response to the controversy up to this point.

Hmmm, nope, I don't see this anywhere in their playbook,

Code:
// filename: FRA

1 // Once you have their money, you never give it back.
3 // Never spend more for an acquisition than you have to. 
6 // Never allow family to stand in the way of opportunity.
7 // Keep your ears open and your eyes on the mark.
9 // Opportunity plus instinct equals profit.
10 // Greed is eternal.
16 // A deal is a deal.
17 // A contract is a contract is a contract... but only between Ferengi.
18 // A Ferengi without profit is no Ferengi at all.
21 // Never place friendship above profit.
22 // A wise man can hear profit in the wind.
23 // Nothing is more important than your health... except for your money.
31 // Never make fun of a Ferengi's mother.
33 // It never hurts to suck up to the boss.
34 // War is good for business.
35 // Peace is good for business.
45 // Expand or die.
47 // Never trust a man wearing a better suit than your own.
48 // The bigger the smile, the sharper the knife.
57 // Good customers are as rare as latinum. Treasure them. 
59 // Free advice is seldom cheap.
62 // Profit is its own reward.
74 // Knowledge equals profit.
75 // Home is where the heart is, but the stars are made of latinum.
76 // Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies.
94 // Females and finances don't mix.
95 // Expand or die.
98 // Every man has his price.
102 // Nature decays, but latinum lasts forever.
103 // Sleep can interfere with...
109 // Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.
111 // Treat people in your debt like family... exploit them.
112 // Never have sex with the boss's sister.
125 // You can't make a deal if you're dead.
139 // Wives serve, brothers inherit.
168 // Whisper your way to success.
190 // Hear all, trust nothing.
194 // It's always good to know about new customers before they walk in your door.
203 // New customers are like razor-toothed gree-worms. They can be succulent, but sometimes they bite back. 
208 // Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. 
211 // Employees are the rungs on the ladder of success. Don't hesitate to step on them. 
214 // Never begin a business negotiation on an empty stomach. 
217 // You can't free a fish from water. 
223 // (incomplete, but presumably concerned the relationship between "keeping busy" and "being successful") 
229 // Latinum lasts longer than lust. 
239 // Never be afraid to mislabel a product.
240 // It may be worth it to go barefoot so that they let their gaurd down.
243 // If you think they are on to you, it's best to act like nothing is wrong.
245 // Never admit to a mistake until the money is secure.
263 // Never allow doubt to tarnish your lust for latinum.
272 // It may be worth going barefoot to earn their trust.
275 // Make them think your operation is small and you will be able to sell them anything.
285 // No good deed ever goes unpunished. 
286 // A man is only worth the sum of his possessions. 
287 // After you've exploited someone, it never hurts to thank them. That way, it's easier to exploit them next time.
288 // A good lie is easier to believe than the truth.

mishakoz

One of my buds just got a refund for the game after playing 22 hours. I think if you stopped playing after a couple hours and feel cheated/mislead, go ahead and get a refund. If you enjoyed the game enough to play 22 hours and you get your money back, that's such a scummy move.

But I'm glad people who feel cheated and lied to are able to recoup their loss.

Meicyn

Gold Member
I'm trying that right now...average wait time for chat is 10 minutes :X

Wish me luck. What should I say? That NMS didn't turn out like how it was marketed?
Yeah, I pretty much said that the game didn't have multiplayer and other features as was talked about during the hype phase.

Edit: Oh, looks like you're getting your refund. Sweet.

Buying the physical LE of this from Amazon and opening it is probably my biggest gaming purchase regret this generation. For once opting to go physical over digital has screwed me :(

Good luck to everyone!
Amazon was doing a trade in for $67 a few days ago, I grabbed it. Pretty much just a $3 loss cause of the amazon new game discount. Keep an eye out for more trade values. It's at $47 right now, just keep checking.

Venom Fox

Banned
Do you guys think this'll be one of the biggest mass refunds of all time in terms of big game releases? Looking at Reddit etc EVERYONE seems to be getting refunded by everyone lmao.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Out of respect for the people who worked on it. Fucking lol. Why are gamers so emotionally attached to the developers and industry. If I bought any other product, that stopped working after using it for a week or two, I would ask for a refund. If they fix the problem, I could always re-buy it later. Don't care about who made it, or how many worked on it, or if they were owned by a big corporation or not. If they delivered a shit product that doesn't work, I will want a refund.

Reminds me of people thanking companies for making games (I notice it a lot with Nintendo).

Yes...thank you for making this product that you will me charge 60€ for, what a privilege :3

0racle

This is INSANE ! Has this ever happened? I mean 20 pages of refunds for arguably the most anticipated game this year? This is biblical !

HariKari

Do you guys think this'll be one of the biggest mass refunds of all time in terms of big game releases? Looking at Reddit etc EVERYONE seems to be getting refunded by everyone lmao.

I don't think I've ever seen the Steam Spy owner #s drop before NMS.

I've been denied once and I'm probably about to be denied again by Valve.

Well, the more people keep asking the more they are going to get the hint that something is up.

Also, someone a couple posts back said that they got the refund through valve by saying that the video on steam did not represent the game. You could try that. And as always, if you are in the EU you could try linking this,

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act

EDIT: Also, try this if this wasn't the method you used.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UwpCSriFKs

Top Bottom