• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WOW OMG: Steam is refunding No Man's Sky even if you played more then 2 hours

Reminds me of people thanking companies for making games (I notice it a lot with Nintendo).

Yes...thank you for making this product that you will me charge 60€ for, what a privilege :3
To be fair, if the next Spider-Man pans out I'm sure we will all be thanking Insomniac from the nightmare that IP has been in. More of a "thank fuck we got a good Spidey game" kinda way.

SomTervo

Crashing in NMS, because I didn't hate the game like some others here.

I think it's poor form to release patches and no patch notes with them and go on this weird radio silence for the past 8 days or so. I get that they're busy and likely working long nights to fix their game but communication with their customers is very important.

Agreed, although the radio silence had really been for way more than 8 days.

I'm never buying a game from them again.

I'll definitely be waiting and seeing in a big way with every other release they put out.

And that's fine, but why is it a problem for people to get refunds? If they feel like the game isnt how they expected it to be or hasn't evolved into the game they hoped than that's perfectly valid. Maybe Giant creatures crashing through the woodswil get people back, maybe it won't, but that doesn't mean we can't express our feelings towards the game and request a refund. If you want to block your ears of hyperbole then the OT is perfect for that.
The problem is the bitching and moaning to the degree this game has garnered.

The "but what do you do?" crowd should never have hopped onto the hype train and waited for reviews or streams.

If you were still disappointed despite not being in that crowd, you had your expectations set WAY too high. There was nothing to any of the "promises" that would have made it a drastically different game than what we got. Every footage shown has been as representative of the game as any other game that has had pre release footage.

So yeah, excuse me while I express my disdain and discomfort for folks who have basically destroyed a man and his business' reputation over nothing/exaggerrated expectations/entitled attitudes/lack of imagination.

HariKari

Every footage shown has been as representative of the game as any other game that has had pre release footage.

The scripted, extremely deceptive E3 trailers and demonstrations, in combination with various lies and half truths sprinkled throughout numerous interviews, are representative of the final game?

Permanently A

The defense force for this game is actually incredible. These people are evidently desperate to have their rights as consumers be taken away from them.

I honestly don't know what to say.

Veggy

So yeah, excuse me while I express my disdain and discomfort for folks who have basically destroyed a man and his business' reputation over nothing/exaggerrated expectations/entitled attitudes/lack of imagination.

Lol don't promise a bunch of stuff that doesn't make it for release and then give us something with performance issues for full price

The PR prerelease, the post release radio silence, etc. they haven't exactly been making it easier for themselves

thumb

Banned
If you were still disappointed despite not being in that crowd, you had your expectations set WAY too high. There was nothing to any of the "promises" that would have made it a drastically different game than what we got. Every footage shown has been as representative of the game as any other game that has had pre release footage.

Most of the work in your argument is being done by the word "drastically," which can easily morph to outsize any possible counter example. Thus, given that you personally find less significance in the missing features, and you don't seem willing to step into the shoes of those who see differently, it doesn't seem worthwhile to debate that with you.

As for "entitled," I am entitled. I am entitled to hold companies accountable for their misleading marketing claims while they invite customers to make pre-orders. Caveat emptor should not mean that companies have no burden of truthfulness.

Whoever got the refund for 50+ hours logged? C'mon, son...

Besides correcting the extreme survival bug, patch 1.07 seems to have made the game worse for PS4 owners, of which OP was a part.

Well, the more people keep asking the more they are going to get the hint that something is up.

Also, someone a couple posts back said that they got the refund through valve by saying that the video on steam did not represent the game. You could try that. And as always, if you are in the EU you could try linking this,

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act

EDIT: Also, try this if this wasn't the method you used.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UwpCSriFKs

I know, I've been following the thread. My second request was based on false advertising; for my third attempt, I'll probably create a support ticket. I'm in the U.S., btw.

I feel if you have put 10+ hours into it you don't really have a right to refund . You can easily see its flaws in the first few hours .

I've put 40+ hrs I to it and don't regret my purchase at all , if you haven't decided by 10 hrs the game isn't for you then you don't deserve a refund imo.

Tenck

I feel if you have put 10+ hours into it you don't really have a right to refund . You can easily see its flaws in the first few hours .

I've put 40+ hrs I to it and don't regret my purchase at all , if you haven't decided by 10 hrs the game isn't for you then you don't deserve a refund imo.

That's not what Valve thinks, and I care about their opinion more than yours.

David___

Banned

Usually I'd agree but if patches make the game crash to a point where its too much of a chore to play you should be entitled to a refund, no matter the time invested before hand.

Kyoufu

What if those flaws only appear in an extreme manner after 10+ hours?

LostDonkey

Absolute rubbish. It took me around that many hours just to get the game running in an acceptable state for the spec of my rig. Constant crashes and lockups, not to mention that everytime you change a setting you have to restart the game and load it back up, all counting as "playtime".

Sanjuro

I feel if you have put 10+ hours into it you don't really have a right to refund . You can easily see its flaws in the first few hours.

nfVfdB2.jpg

Usually I'd agree but if patches make the game crash to a point where its too much of a chore to play you should be entitled to a refund, no matter the time invested before hand.

Definitely agree if a patch completely breaks the game then you deserve the right for a refund , but is they the case here ? I'm playing on ps4 and been pretty lucky for crashes , I was under the impression the game has got a lot more stable since release .

Permanently A

GuDNmAI.gif

David___

Banned
Definitely agree if a patch completely breaks the game then you deserve the right for a refund , but is they the case here ? I'm playing on ps4 and been pretty lucky for crashes , I was under the impression the game has got a lot more stable since release .

In Kyoufu's case it looks like it generally just got worse the more time was spent playing. Think PS3 Skyrim where the fps got worse the bigger the save file got.

HariKari

They denied my refund request. 20 hours.

Raise a ticket manually and harp on the deceptive nature of the trailer on the store page (for Steam) and technical issues.

Valve responds when things start to cost them money, so they might respond to a large number of manual tickets.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Reminds me of people thanking companies for making games (I notice it a lot with Nintendo).

Yes...thank you for making this product that you will me charge 60€ for, what a privilege :3
Uuuuugh I fucking hate that with a passion lol.

On topic though, I'm starting to wish I had bought the game digitally instead. The physical trade in value must be pennies at this point.

sgjackson

i got a refund the day it came out but i'd only played 2 and a half hours, not sure if the two hour cap is a hard limit or a soft one.

spore taught me to have low expectations for this one, but i just wanted a zen planet explorer where i'd occasionally see a few weird ass deer or whatever, and there ended up being too much fiddly resource management for my tastes (in addition to the insane fps dips while stuff loaded)

Simo

Wow thanks GAF. I didn't think PSN would refund stuff bought off the US store but hey, they did! Quick and painless.

dc3k

Raise a ticket manually and harp on the deceptive nature of the trailer on the store page (for Steam) and technical issues.

Valve responds when things start to cost them money, so they might respond to a large number of manual tickets.

How?

thumb

Banned
Uuuuugh I fucking hate that with a passion lol.

In some contexts, it can sound like "hail corporate". But it's not always inappropriate.

For example, I really wanted EA to make Mirror's Edge 2, despite the fact that the first game had only a decent return on investment. From a business perspective, this made making Mirror's Edge 2 somewhat risky, especially when the funds could be put towards DICE's other highly successful properties: Battlefront and Battlefield.

So I thanked DICE and EA for taking a chance on Mirror's Edge 2, because it wasn't an obviously profit-maximizing choice.

The problem is the bitching and moaning to the degree this game has garnered.

The "but what do you do?" crowd should never have hopped onto the hype train and waited for reviews or streams.

If you were still disappointed despite not being in that crowd, you had your expectations set WAY too high. There was nothing to any of the "promises" that would have made it a drastically different game than what we got. Every footage shown has been as representative of the game as any other game has had pre release footage.

Bullshit. The pre release footage was more representative of a target render than the final game, what was promised - and shown - could have made the game way more than a serviceable survival game you'd expect to see on Steam EA for 20 bucks.

If people raised their expectations too high is because Murray painted his mundane little game as this amazingly unique experience never seen before, not because they're somehow too dumb to understand the artsy and scripted gameplay videos.

cooperma

I finally got refunded on fourth try. Had to escalate to a supervisor and was told by agent he would say no too. Talked to supervisor and after explaining everything I did, he put in the request for the refund and it was approved.

Yagharek

Did you skip right to the end like you did in this thread?

So, in light of everything in the past two weeks around No Man's Sky, may I ask this very important question that Hello refused to answer, and everyone on GAF mocked?

What do you do in No Man's Sky?

It should have been a massive red flag about the game for everyone that that question made it to memetic status. It was for me. These questions aren't asked for shits and giggles.

This is insane. For months prior to release people were divided on how this game would turn up. I am curious to know if the people who defended the game months before release had a change of heart and are now among the many looking to get their money back.
The game is a technical mess for many people. Its kinda hard to enjoy a game you like if it can barely run without shitting its pants.

If you watched a dvd set for a 10 season show, and the last 3 seasons were blurry, in Spanish, and cut to black every ten minutes, wouldn't you want a refund even if you enjoyed the first 7?

Uthred

I wonder has anyone tried refunding via Hello Games directly, though their widget used Humble Bundle Store, how are they for refunds?

Also, stop pre-ordering.

How about we do what we want with our money? One should certainly make an informed purchasing decision but its obnoxious to tell people how to spend their money, with some bonus stupidity in this case as the entire point of the thread is that refunds mean pre-ordering had no reprecussions

Top Bottom