• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WOW OMG: Steam is refunding No Man's Sky even if you played more then 2 hours

cooperma

One last thing I will say is that they told me because I preordered the game the second it was available on PSN that I wasn't eligible for a refund. That's some bullshit

Reminds me of people thanking companies for making games (I notice it a lot with Nintendo).

Yes...thank you for making this product that you will me charge 60€ for, what a privilege :3

Nothing irritates me more on this forum is the fawning over companies and figureheads that make games we buy.

You can respect the artistry and not be a sycophant.

These people are not your friends.

Macattk15

So, in light of everything in the past two weeks around No Man's Sky, may I ask this very important question that Hello refused to answer, and everyone on GAF mocked?

What do you do in No Man's Sky?

It should have been a massive red flag about the game for everyone that that question made it to memetic status. It was for me. These questions aren't asked for shits and giggles.

I said the same thing. So glad I didn't fall into the hype.

Ambient80

This is insane. For months prior to release people were divided on how this game would turn up. I am curious to know if the people who defended the game months before release had a change of heart and are now among the many looking to get their money back.

I wouldn't say I defended it, really, but I did think some people were a bit over the top with the "BUT WHAT DO YOU DO LOL" stuff. I also thought some of the ultra defense force people were being silly too, considering how little we actually knew. Now, however, I suppose they (the "what do you do?" folks) were right. If that means I have a small share of crow to eat, then I shall humbly partake. :p

sazzy

No one has the right to pass judgement on another's decision to get a refund for this game.

Telling someone they shouldn't get a refund is just as absurd as telling someone they should.

I finally got refunded on fourth try. Had to escalate to a supervisor and was told by agent he would say no too. Talked to supervisor and after explaining everything I did, he put in the request for the refund and it was approved.

Good show mate. Are you in the UK? Did you post the consumer rights info and did it help? What did you have to say in order to speak to a supervisor?

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
This is INSANE ! Has this ever happened? I mean 20 pages of refunds for arguably the most anticipated game this year? This is biblical !

It is pretty crazy, no argument there. I do feel it's all justified though. If HG had just been upfront and honest, or even communicative in any way whatsoever after launch, I feel it would be different, but man it certainly feels like a hype fueled cash grab and run at the moment by Sean and HG.

I am so glad I didn't buy it, and I was so looking forward to it too, but thankfully a lot of disappointed customers are getting their money back. Maybe HG will learn a lesson from all of this and do better with the honesty next time. That is if anyone ever buys a single thing from them ever again.

HowZatOZ

Banned
I feel if you have put 10+ hours into it you don't really have a right to refund . You can easily see its flaws in the first few hours .

I've put 40+ hrs I to it and don't regret my purchase at all , if you haven't decided by 10 hrs the game isn't for you then you don't deserve a refund imo.
That's the thing, you can't. The progression for this game makes it so that those troublesome bugs ony com out around the 15+ mark, when shit really hits the fan.

But anyway, the extreme reaction some fans are having over refunds is out of this world. You are saying its perfectly fine to disregard consumer rights because a developer doesn't owe you anything. I find that attitude probably wouldn't follow you through to everyday products like toasters, kettles etc. If my toaster stopped working after a few months I'm most definitely entitled to a refund. Why is it not the same for games?

So, in light of everything in the past two weeks around No Man's Sky, may I ask this very important question that Hello refused to answer, and everyone on GAF mocked?

What do you do in No Man's Sky?

It should have been a massive red flag about the game for everyone that that question made it to memetic status. It was for me. These questions aren't asked for shits and giggles.

I feel like this game, Destiny and The Order (to a lesser extent) have taught me that if a dev keeps showing the same location or gameplay over and over again in previews then that's probably for a reason. Granted, No Man's Sky doesn't fit perfectly into this example since Sean Murray was also previewing things that aren't really in the game so..

web01

Everyone should be eligible to a refund based on the lies told about the product regardless of how many hours they played the game.

You can not tell lies to sell a product plain and simple, consumer rights protect you from this in most countries. You are entitled to refund if you were misled. Fuck deceptive sales practices and Sean Murray, he knew exactly what he was doing.

If Steam is allowing these refunds, I'm not sure what the problem is (e.g. why people are arguing against the refunds).

It's a system that's in place for just this sort of thing. HG should have known this was a possibility.

The psn chat agent refunded me no questions asked. All I said was that I heard people were getting refunds due to the misleading claims of the developers, and that I personally have had the game crash on me numerous times, and haven't played it in over a week waiting for them to fix it. She just said "I can certainly help you with that" and 2 minutes later it was back in my psn wallet. I have never asked for a digital refund before (other than a glitch where it funded the wallet for the same purchase twice) but I'm glad they are going for goodwill over profit in this situation.

Wanderer5

It is pretty crazy, no argument there. I do feel it's all justified though. If HG had just been upfront and honest, or even communicative in any way whatsoever after launch, I feel it would be different, but man it certainly feels like a hype fueled cash grab and run at the moment by Sean and HG.

I am so glad I didn't buy it, and I was so looking forward to it too, but thankfully a lot of disappointed customers are getting their money back. Maybe HG will learn a lesson from all of this and do better with the honesty next time. That is if anyone ever buys a single thing from them ever again.

So HG hasn't really been doing that still? Pretty disappointing after how much outrage this game been getting. I glad I decided to wait for a sale or something if I wanted to check the game out.

Dmax3901

I only had a quick glance at the first page and haven't read anything else but I reckon refunding this game after playing 50 hours is pretty fucken dodge.

Woodchipper

But it says in my purchase confirmation email that they do not refund after 14 days and/or if the game is downloaded. Should I try anyway?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
So HG hasn't really been doing that still? Pretty disappointing after how much outrage this game been getting. I glad I decided to wait for a sale or something if I wanted to check the game out.

They've pretty much gone off the grid communication wise once there was a lot of blowback.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I only had a quick glance at the first page and haven't read anything else but I reckon refunding this game after playing 50 hours is pretty fucken dodge.

I played over 100 game was taking a shit left and right, ill rebuy when the game plays and has content as advertised

I wonder has anyone tried refunding via Hello Games directly, though their widget used Humble Bundle Store, how are they for refunds?

Now that's something I'd like to see.

Back in the PS2 era the instruction manuals had a whole bunch of legalese and some of it said that you can refund directly to the publisher. There was a kid who tried it on an SNK game and he got all the way up to the company president who responded very unprofessionally to him as if his claim on a buggy game (which was verified) was a waste of time. I think he recorded it or got an email response that ended up looking really bad on the company. I don't know if games still have that warranty, I looked at two PS4 games and neither have manuals.

HariKari

Am I going crazy or is NMS completely gone/unlisted from the top sellers list on Steam? Not showing in the first five pages I checked.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Am I going crazy or is NMS completely gone/unlisted from the top sellers list on Steam? Not showing in the first five pages I checked.
It went from 220K concurrent on day one to 13K yesterday lols.
Twitch views dropped like a rock as well.

Ambient80

Touche friend.

Lol I actually played it non stop for about a year. The campaigns kept me going for weeks while the mp was getting fixed

But you both get my kinda off topic point
I tried but my save kept screwing up and restarting. I beat Halo 2 on LASO difficulty and never got an achievement and then the save messed up and it was gone T_T

But yeah generally you're right :p

Hello Masterspeed
We have reviewed your refund request.
We are unable to refund this purchase to your Steam Wallet at this time.

Well, fuck.

EmbersToAshes

Neo Member
Found this delusion on Reddit. This right here is the reason that developers get away with telling blind-faced lies, knowing half of the community will defend them to the hilt anyway.

1,000% certain that they are not replaced by black holes. Even more positive that nothing is cut. The only core modifications to the game have been graphical. It is a Universe. Not just the tutorial levels that, according to certain story elements, aren't even the real reality of the universe, which are comprised of the first few galaxies, each of which reveal more and more of the HUGE story to those who choose not to give up so easily. And this is probably all you're going to get as far as details on that from those of us who have been further, because it isn't something that can be told, it must be experienced.

We can't prove there's anything more to the game, it has to be experienced! It's out there!

woah woah, PSN is doing refunds too??? How can I do this? I've been regretting my purchase for a while, and even uninstalled the game days ago.

eXMomoj

Successfully just got a refund via chat from Sony. They said digital sales are normally final, but will process this refund (nothing about this being a one time thing). Glad to have $60 back in my wallet!

Top Bottom