• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WOW OMG: Steam is refunding No Man's Sky even if you played more then 2 hours

Mik2121

I just did a PSN live chat. Here is the log (LOLOL)

Diana: Hello, My name is Diana how may I assist you today?
Me: Hi I am wondering if you can help me with getting a refund/credit for a game I purchased recently on my PS4
Me: (My name is XXXXXXX, hi)
Diana: Nice to meet you XXXX! I’m really sorry to know that you are having issues with that purchase, I understand how this can affect your game experience, but do not worry, you came to the right place for assistance!
Me: Thanks! I've never had to do this before so not sure what info you need
Diana: I understand, no worries. Just to confirm, the information you used to request the chat is the account you need assistance with?
Me: Yeah it is
Diana: Thank you, one moment.
Me: ok
Diana: Your refund has been completed, you can now check your PSN wallet and the funds will be there for you to purchase any other content in the PSN Store. You will also receive an email confirmation for this. Here is your refund case number for future reference 13156035.
Diana: Also I hope you don’t mind but we have sent you an email that includes a brief survey, we would love if you provide us with your feedback, PlayStation will appreciate it so much.
Me: Thanks so much for your help tonight
Diana: It was a pleasure assisting a valuable player like yourself. Thank you for chatting with us, have a great gaming night! :)
The agent has ended the chat.

I never even said the name of the game LOL! It took like 5 minutes. This must be the most refunded game ever or something for them to just KNOW that it's NMS I wanted a refund on. I mean, what if it was some other game and not NMS? I've bought several games in the last month on PSN so I'm super happy but a little confused how they knew.

So yeah, I played about 10-15 hours, never had a crash, but came to hate the game and really felt lied to and that's what I was going to tell her, but she never asked. You should try this on PS4 if you are dissatisfied and I recommend not giving many details just keep it simple.
Wow...

I actually tried it directly copy&pasting your messages:

Erick: Hello, My name is Erick how may I assist you today?
Me: Hello Eric, I am wondering if you can help me with getting a refund/credit for a game I purchased recently on my PS4
Me: (Mi name is XXXX, hi!)
Erick: Hello XXXX :D. No Man's Sky?

In the end I told him it was OK and no need for the refund, but damn... I guess they must be getting tons of requests.

panty

This is really fucking absurd and opportunistic. So much for any big publishers taking risks on ambitious indie devs in the future.
What a sad thread. People here think they're on a crusade against NMS. Like it's the worst game ever.

So cringeworthy.

Nameless

Holy crap, I was reading that like you forgot to put the line in there where you said the game... This has to be a massive movement right now. Like wow.

hahaha @ calling the petulant entitlement on display in this thread(barring the few legit cases) a movement. But omg lol wow, right?

Landford

Banned
Getting your money back isn't what the No Man's Sky refund is about. You shouldn't go into a No Man's Sky refund looking for that kind of experience.

Stole from reddit

I haven't played my copy yet but I pulled off the shrink wrap when Amazon delivered it, all these negative impressions make me not even want to try it out, if only I didn't open the package until the reviews were out =/

Shogun413

This thread just makes me sad. I view video games as entertainment and a consumable product. I don't ask for a refund if I go see a movie that failed to live up to my expectations. Why should a game be any different, especially since a lot of people are just refunding because they didn't like the game and not due to technical issues.

hahaha @ calling the petulant entitlement on display in this thread(barring the few legit cases) a movement. But omg lol wow, right?

batman-crying.gif

Landford

Banned
This thread just makes me sad. I view video games as entertainment and a consumable product. I don't ask for a refund if I go see a movie that failed to live up to my expectations. Why should a game be any different, especially since a lot of people are just refunding because they didn't like the game and not due to technical issues.

What about if you sit down, and the movie wasnt the one you paid the ticket for? Its bordering on something like that with NMS.

Marjorine

Got the refund on PSN on my second try. I don't get how they don't have a blanket policy on this, but, well...whatever. The second time I just said I felt mislead and used by Sony and I have been on PSN since day one and have never asked for a refund. Guy said he would put it up for review, and I had the credit email in my inbox before I closed out the chat. I don't feel bad. As the game crashes on me beyond belief. Sorry. Not taking a $60 hit on a defective piece of software.

Now to pick out a competently made game for my hard earned dollars.

What about if you sit down, and the movie wasnt the one you paid the ticket for? Its bordering on something like that with NMS.

More like the movie projector starts to bug out and crash every time there is a tense moment on screen...

I've personally seen movie theatre refunds for less.

A.J.

Banned
Movies aren't $60

Karu

You don't have to give a reason at all so... that may be your personal opinion on things, but while I myself thing the celebration of the act of a refund is a bit absurd, the actual refunding is more than okay.

Movies aren't $60

Not to mention that when going out to see a movie it is understood that it is a one time deal for what you pay. A game isn't designed to disintegrate or something after you've played so long... It's supposed to be a lifetime deal that you can keep coming back to or share with friends over time.

The idea of a game being a consumable item is mind bottling.

Who's worse, those wanting refunds or those coming into a refund thread to try and shame those seeking them because they like a game?

I don't remember Steam users shaming each other over refunds ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Shogun413

There were plenty of previews and videos out before launch that showed the game. I think many people just got caught up in the hype and are now left disappointed. There are many people who enjoyed NMS because we had different expectations going in. Saying NMS is a completely different product and therefore should be refunded is pretty extreme IMO. There are numerous movies that had awesome trailers but the actual movie was horrible. Yet we would never ask for a refund. I feel like games should be offered the same treatment since hard work did go into making this game. It's disingenuous to say otherwise.

What a sad thread. People here think they're on a crusade against NMS. Like it's the worst game ever.

So cringeworthy.

I wasn't on a crusade...I wasn't even really very hyped for the game. I was hesitant to be hyped for it because it did always seem really vague. Once the game came out though, I thought at first it sounded like it was not bad...so I bought it...and it seemed like right after I bought it, it started coming out how bad it was.

It really had nothing to do with the conversation though that made me dislike the game so much...it was actually playing it, and finding it to be tedious, with so little variety. I even played through the whole Atlas story part hoping there might some interesting story behind that at least...nope...So I explored and upgraded my ship until I had an awesome drive and started working my way towards the center of the galaxy. Then I saw that after warp jumping a few times, that parts on your ship degraded and i had to repair them. At that point, I was really feeling annoyed because that just sucked. The lure of exploring should have been enough, but they didn't do that part right, so they made a game about grinding boring materials doing boring shit.

Eventually I said fuck it, and just looked up what happened on youtube when you get to the center of the galaxy. Holy shit, was I glad I didn't play the game anymore after seeing that. I had already felt like I wasted several days fucking with the game, with no sense of fulfillment or wonder. They failed on all fronts in my opinion. This has nothing to do with a crusade on my part...they made a shitty game, and I hated it, and was happy I could get my money back, because my time felt wasted.

HariKari

Weird, didn't know exercising your consumer rights made you petulant or entitled. Sony seems more than happy to refund the money. Just seems like good business.

There were plenty of previews and videos out before launch that showed the game. I think many people just got caught up in the hype and are now left disappointed. There are many people who enjoyed NMS because we had different expectations going in. Saying NMS is a completely different product and therefore should be refunded is pretty extreme IMO. There are numerous movies that had awesome trailers but the actual movie was horrible. Yet we would never ask for a refund. I feel like games should be offered the same treatment since hard work did go into making this game. It's disingenuous to say otherwise.

There sure where...

My chat log...

Melissa: Hello, My name is Melissa how may I help you today?
Me: No Man's Sky
Melissa: Your refund has been completed. You can now check your PSN wallet and the funds will be there for you to purchase any other content in the PSN store.You will also receive an email confirmation for this. Here is your refund case number for future reference: XXXXXXX
Me: Thank you!

A good Saturday for a Sony Customer Service rep.

Had to take advantage and get refund. I still think the core of something really cool is still there, but we were blatantly lied to with the marketing. I can't support that, especially when $80 could be spent on better games. Maybe if they add to it and build it up line Mojang did with Minecraft, it'll be worth returning to in a year.

Mashing

I wouldn't feel comfortable in the least asking for a refund for a game I've played 60+ hours. That's akin to stealing in my book.

This is why people should probably read the thread before posting. Most people dealt with numerous crashes and problems in-game, others aren't happy with the level of dishonesty exhibited by No Man's Sky's developers. I don't think people are saying it's a completely different game, but it's certainly missing things from the final version, and said developers refuse to commentate on that subject.

You are a consumer. There's nothing wrong with returning a product that didn't come as advertised, or comes broken (in the case of one guy, he had dozens of crashes).

I've gotten a refund for many games in the past that didn't work. I don't see why NMS should get a pass.

Landford

Banned

The point is, the game it launched was NOT the one that was promised, over and over again, and some of the features were advertised mere weeks from launch were probably never coded. Planets dont rotate. There are no trading economies. Nothing is simulated. The game has painted skyboxes with stars that never move. I think is disingenuous to believe that, with a massive influx of refunds being accepted left and right, even by Sony, who is notoriously strict at this kind of thing, they didnt know the game would have this reaction.

Shogun413

Not to mention that when going out to see a movie it is understood that it is a one time deal for what you pay. A game isn't designed to disintegrate or something after you've played so long... It's supposed to be a lifetime deal that you can keep coming back to or share with friends over time.

The idea of a game being a consumable item is mind bottling.

Games are part of the media industry, hence they are consumable items. Not all games have replay value. Some you can just play through one time and that's all the utility you receive for the experience. The dollar value of a consumable item should have no bearing on whether it is moral or not to refund a consumable item. A broken product at $10 and $60 are equally valid for a refund, but I just don't like that many people are simply refunding because they didn't like it or it didn't meet their expectations. If you use that criteria, I would be refunding half my Steam library haha.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I just did a PSN live chat. Here is the log (LOLOL)

Diana: Hello, My name is Diana how may I assist you today?
Me: Hi I am wondering if you can help me with getting a refund/credit for a game I purchased recently on my PS4
Me: (My name is XXXXXXX, hi)
Diana: Nice to meet you XXXX! I’m really sorry to know that you are having issues with that purchase, I understand how this can affect your game experience, but do not worry, you came to the right place for assistance!
Me: Thanks! I've never had to do this before so not sure what info you need
Diana: I understand, no worries. Just to confirm, the information you used to request the chat is the account you need assistance with?
Me: Yeah it is
Diana: Thank you, one moment.
Me: ok
Diana: Your refund has been completed, you can now check your PSN wallet and the funds will be there for you to purchase any other content in the PSN Store. You will also receive an email confirmation for this. Here is your refund case number for future reference 13156035.
Diana: Also I hope you don’t mind but we have sent you an email that includes a brief survey, we would love if you provide us with your feedback, PlayStation will appreciate it so much.
Me: Thanks so much for your help tonight
Diana: It was a pleasure assisting a valuable player like yourself. Thank you for chatting with us, have a great gaming night! :)
The agent has ended the chat.

I never even said the name of the game LOL! It took like 5 minutes. This must be the most refunded game ever or something for them to just KNOW that it's NMS I wanted a refund on. I mean, what if it was some other game and not NMS? I've bought several games in the last month on PSN so I'm super happy but a little confused how they knew.

So yeah, I played about 10-15 hours, never had a crash, but came to hate the game and really felt lied to and that's what I was going to tell her, but she never asked. You should try this on PS4 if you are dissatisfied and I recommend not giving many details just keep it simple.

Did you give Diana a good survey result?

Landford

Banned
Games are part of the media industry, hence they are consumable items. Not all games have replay value. Some you can just play through one time and that's all the utility you receive for the experience. The dollar value of a consumable item should have no bearing on whether it is moral or not to refund a consumable item. A broken product at $10 and $60 are equally valid for a refund, but I just don't like that many people are simply refunding because they didn't like it or it didn't meet their expectations. If you use that criteria, I would be refunding half my Steam library haha.

If Steam accepted your refunds of half your library, you would do it?

Leave it to the consumer to fuck with their consumer rights lol

I'm not quite picking up what you are throwing down but I meant that the idea of a game being something that is a one and done deal like going out to see a movie or eating out or something is mind bottling to me. Unless that is specifically stated or understood like at an arcade or something.

Yikes. Hello Games should just rebrand themselves. New name. Going from top of the world to universally hated now must suck. Can't say they didn't bring this on themselves though.

Their silence in all this just made it all worse.

Can't wait till we get the tell all story about what went wrong in a few years.

Karu

I'm not quite picking up what you are throwing down but I meant that the idea of a game being something that is a one and done deal like going out to see a movie or eating out or something is mind bottling to me. Unless that is specifically stated or understood like at an arcade or something.
Chill, I was agreeing with you ;-)

novabolt

Yikes. Hello Games should just rebrand themselves. New name. Going from top of the world to universally hated now must suck. Can't say they didn't bring this on themselves though.

Their silence in all this just made it all worse.

Can't wait till we get the tell all story about what went wrong in a few years.

I would be surprised if they didn't re-brand under a new name. I just feel sorry for the other CO-Founders of HGames.

DpadD

Banned

This is really fucking absurd and opportunistic. So much for any big publishers taking risks on ambitious indie devs in the future.

I mean I get this... I totally do. I am always on this side of the argument. I will always give the artists the benefit of the doubt. Gamers can be entitled and incredibly embarrassing. I agree.

But the dude actually and literally lied about A LOT. I mean, Jesus, he lied about it having fucking multiplayer.

That's a pretty big deal IMO...

I mean yeah I still think people should calm down and perhaps should WAIT next time until impressions/reviews come in...

But I have no problems with people requesting refunds when the product turned out to be completely different than what was promised, with absolutely no communication from the devs before launch.

Also... He teased the fuck out of the end of the game and... Well what it turned out to be is pretty offensive lol... Real shitty imo.

Shogun413

This is why people should probably read the thread before posting. Most people dealt with numerous crashes and problems in-game, others aren't happy with the level of dishonesty exhibited by No Man's Sky's developers. I don't think people are saying it's a completely different game, but it's certainly missing things from the final version, and said developers refuse to commentate on that subject.

You are a consumer. There's nothing wrong with returning a product that didn't come as advertised, or comes broken (in the case of one guy, he had dozens of crashes).

I've gotten a refund for many games in the past that didn't work. I don't see why NMS should get a pass.

Yeah maybe some people have experience more technical issues than me playing so that is a valid argument for refunding. I am not denying people the right to refund a broken product. But you can't deny that there are many people in this thread who are refunding simply because the game didn't meet their expectations. That is where things are less morally justifiable because no consumable product should face that kind of criteria. I actually think the team for NMS has worked hard to push out patches and I haven't had any crashes for like a week now. So it's unfair to say that they have not responded at all to the technical issues.

Yeah maybe some people have experience more technical issues than me playing so that is a valid argument for refunding. I am not denying people the right to refund a broken product. But you can't deny that there are many people in this thread who are refunding simply because the game didn't meet their expectations. That is where things are less morally justifiable because no consumable product should face that kind of criteria. I actually think the team for NMS has worked hard to push out patches and I haven't had any crashes for like a week now. So it's unfair to say that they have not responded at all to the technical issues.

Bro, I run a business, we sell actual consumable items... You are flipping blowing my mind right now. If I treated my customers that way... I couldn't live with myself and we probably wouldn't be as successful as we are now. That is a horrible way to look at this.

Shogun413

If Steam accepted your refunds of half your library, you would do it?

No I would not. I don't and won't ever refund anything unless the game is literally broken to the point where I can't even play it. Like I said earlier, I view games are entertainment and as consumable products. I understand that I won't enjoy every game I play but that's OK. That is not reason enough for me to refund something.

IDK I feel like there is a fine line sometimes between consumer rights and entitlement.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

It's pretty simple: just don't lie to the customers about the game you are selling. If people get what they are paying for then fiasco's like this don't happen. Indie games will continue to do just dandy as long as the developers are honest and respectful. Hello Games has been neither, thus Steam and PSN breaking their normal refund rules together for the first time ever to allow this mass exodus of refunds to the players.

Do you know what is truly absurd and opportunistic? Sean Murray driving the hype machine to sell a game that is a shell of what he was promising and showing during live gameplay videos, and then hiding and avoiding talking about it after launch with zero answers or explanations to the customers. That's absurd and opportunistic.

Top Bottom