• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WOW OMG: Steam is refunding No Man's Sky even if you played more then 2 hours

Speely

Banned
I really don't get how the second poster is getting away with having wandered off and saying the first is making references to rape apologists in the OT thread. That's disgusting and a completely wilful misinterpretation.

Yeah it's really gross, actually. I am just trying to stay away, because nothing good can come of it.

OuterLimits

What disappointed me in the game, and well, led me to ask for a refund, is just being burnt out by the loop and by retreading the old trailers and what was said about the game. Just...alot of it was missing. Faction wars, space battles, the portals don't even freaking work, just...

....I dunno what happened between that and release. I love the exploration, don't get me wrong. I really do but...I feel that those $60 could wait, until they substantially update the game. Then I'll rebuy it, that's for sure.

It will be interesting to see how much they try and redeem themselves in the coming months. Will they update the game significantly and try to put in at least some missing features they promised, or will they finish the bug fixes over the next month or so and then pretty much bail?

I certainly hope they do try to really enhance the game, because I actually enjoy it some despite the many flaws and broken promises. It has a decent foundation to build upon in my opinion.

The deceptive comments before and even at release, along with the complete silence now doesn't exactly give me confidence that they will try and fix this situation.

It's amazing to me that they aren't at least attempting some damage control. He was everywhere talking about the game for years, but since launch he hasn't said much since the Tweet the day after release saying "My mind is blown" Would perhaps lessen the flood of people wanting their money back.

Even the "ending" is a giant middle finger to the player. Would have helped had the center been really cool.

I will say the music in the game is phenomenal though.

Farewell

I still don't understand how sean murray made a twitter post on the first day with "2 players just met each other on stream in the first day", like does he even know the features of this game or is he just a community manager like deej or something? Strange that he actually didn't know about the no multiplayer aspect.

Shiggy

For 60 EUR people can expect a product that works. If it's crashing, there's a case for a refund even after playing 50 hours.

//DEVIL//

It's not your business if Steam, Sony, Amazon and all the other companies are okay with it for No Man's Sky.

Oh No its totally not my business. but i kinda wish to see the tables turn around one day and the same thing happen to you when people return your game you spent years in the making and played hours and then you bank goes -60$ . what goes around comes around mate. gl
Good thing thats not whats happening here. The game is crashing left right and center. Kyoufu, and many others have demonstrated how frequently it crashes.

I myself had only at worst 8 crashes in one day, but that is a major issue.

I lost quite a bit of time with those crashes, and it greatly hampers my enjoyment of the game when its working.

I shelfed the game myself because everytime I try to goto a new star system, it crashes. I tried going to different ones too, still crashes. It may have been fixed in this patch, but I'm done.

When we buy a game, we have a legal expectation of it working, when it doesnt work, be it at 2 hours, 20 or 200 hours, its ok to ask for a refund.

I have read this entire thread, and its baffling that people still dont get this.

EDIT: I didnt ask for a refund, fwiw.

well guess what ? you posted a valid reason about an experience happened with you which is the gaming crashing. If that is happening to me i would ask for a refund. i don't want a bad game in a technical level. so your points are valid.

i was only talking about those who actually played and ( seems enjoy it since they put lots of hours in it and didn't mention any crashes ) to return it. that's is what i think not fair.

Ultimately it really goes down to a morality of the person. just because you can doesn't mean you should do it. speaking in general

In this game to be specific, Developers lied. So they should get the heat. you can't go and say shit in public that isn't in the game, then you don't even address them and hide or run with that money you took from the people because they trusted you

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
I still don't understand how sean murray made a twitter post on the first day with "2 players just met each other on stream in the first day", like does he even know the features of this game or is he just a community manager like deej or something? Strange that he actually didn't know about the no multiplayer aspect.
I wondered this, too - he also said something about 'find other players' button on the galactic map which actually doesn't exist (it says 'search for discoveries'). He seems clueless about his own game when he isn't fabricating things about it.

artsi

I still don't understand how sean murray made a twitter post on the first day with "2 players just met each other on stream on the first day", like does he even know the features of this game or is he just a community manager like deej or something? Strange that he actually didn't know about the no multiplayer aspect.

He certainly knew. He's just a deceptive man, and deserves all refunds.

Lie in your marketing = expect unhappy customers after they got your product.

Juicy Bob

I still can't understand the people saying things along the lines of "you played it for x amount of hours, its wrong to get expect a refund after playing their game that long."

What kind of bull shit mentality is this? like....are we supposed to be privileged for every hour we put into this game or something? For me, let's say I played it for 20 hours, which might be accurate. So, because I played it that long, I'm not entitled to a refund because...what? you think because I put that amount of time into it, that I got my money's worth and should be happy? bull shit. I already stated before, I put the time I did into it because I was desperately trying to find something good about the game. Something that might justify it's price, something that would lead me to believe anything the developers said prior to release.

So I played it for 20 hours...if I could get those 20 hours back, and have played a GOOD game, I gladly would let them keep the $60. However, since I can't get the time back, I want my money back. I was not sold something worth the price, and my time felt wasted. Time spent does not equal enjoyment. I don't pay the DMV, or the dentist, or the doctor's office for the time that I waste in the waiting room. If I had to pay money to waste my precious time, I wouldn't do it. Why the hell should developers of shitty games be expected to keep money for wasting my time with shit.

Sorry, kinda went on a tangent, and maybe some of what said is not compatible to the actual problem here, but I'm just trying to make my point clear. No man's sky sucked, and not just an endearing shitty game kind of way...it was not what they said it would be, and they lied every step of the way. I can understand some features that were announced near reveal not making it in the game, but up until the final months of release, they were spewing bull shit, and this game totally deserved to be taken to task for it.
But no one forced you to spend 20 hours of your time playing a game. You did that voluntarily.

You're arguing that you deserve a refund because you spent 20 hours playing a game that you subjectively didn't like. Like I say, having a game objectively fail to function for that time is one thing - not enjoying a working game as much as you wanted to is completely different.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
For 60 EUR people can expect a product that works. If it's crashing, there's a case for a refund even after playing 50 hours.

Or you could wait for a patch.that must be forthcoming. In my opinion game developers need to support their games for a long time. Game breaking bugs are never OK. But I feel it's equally unreasonable to expect a full refund after 50 hours of playing the game. A partial refund, ok, but never a full refund.

Seems pretty straight forward... if the company is granting refunds... it's obvious that they feel it's okay to refund the game.

Case closed?

Can't believe there is 29 pages on this.

Hektor

Or you could wait for a patch.that must be forthcoming. In my opinion game developers need to support their games for a long time. Game breaking bugs are never OK. But I feel it's equally unreasonable to expect a full refund after 50 hours of playing the game. A partial refund, ok, but never a full refund.

Or he could refund it now and and buy it again once it's fixed, assumedly it ever will be considering that the game is out for 20 days now and the developer has gone into complete silence.

He bought a FULL game, that didn't worked, so he's getting a FULL refund. You can't just say "At least he got half a working game, so i get to keep half his money", you can't just change business contracts like this, this is not how the world works.

Skux

But no one forced you to spend 20 hours of your time playing a game. You did that voluntarily.

You're arguing that you deserve a refund because you spent 20 hours playing a game that you subjectively didn't like. Like I say, having a game objectively fail to function for that time is one thing - not enjoying a working game as much as you wanted to is completely different.

Whether or not the player enjoyed the game is subjective and irrelevant. He could have played it for 80 hours and it would still have the same game-breaking bugs and still be a different product to what was advertised, and he should still be entitled to a refund for it.

There's no guarantee that patches will make the game a better experience. It's a fair assumption sure, but if you feel like Sean is a dirty salesman, I can easily see not believing it.

There's also no great delineation in how many hours of the game "too much." If we're talking about a game that you could reasonably finish in two hours like some indie platformers, that's an easy enough discussion. A game like this without a real ending is a bit more difficult. I played the game for about 15 hours before the game started crashing during 33% of my warps. I tried to push through for another fiveish hours, ending with a playtime around 20+ hours. Was I entitled to a refund? Amazon certainly have me one.

I don't know that hours matter here. If the game breaks after 10, 20, 50 or 80 hours, it's still frigging broken and I'd want a refund. I can't get the time back, so I might as well get my cash.

samn

What, has he 'returned' the game in a more 'used' quality now that he's played it for 50 hours?

OuterLimits

I still don't understand how sean murray made a twitter post on the first day with "2 players just met each other on stream on the first day", like does he even know the features of this game or is he just a community manager like deej or something? Strange that he actually didn't know about the no multiplayer aspect.

Oh I'm sure he knew. I think he was in panic mode that in such a big game, two people were on the same planet on Day 1 trying to do the thing he said was possible for months.

After those bizarre tweets, he has gone silent for weeks pretty much.

spidye

worked for just cause 3

waiting for patches to get the game functioning properly should never be a solution.

you are entitled to a working product when you buy something. that's your right as a consumer.

this is a fact since it's EU law

Oh No its totally not my business. but i kinda wish to see the tables turn around one day and the same thing happen to you when people return your game you spent years in the making and played hours and then you bank goes -60$ . what goes around comes around mate. gl

It's okay because I'm not an asshole and lie for years about features which don't exist.

And you don't know what you're talking about. I did not "objectively didn't like" it. I didn't know enough about it right away. This game wasn't something you could tell immediately that it was bad. As I said in a previous post, I hadn't really been hyped about it at release. I watched the giant bomb quick look, thought it might be good based on the little footage I saw, and bought it.

Like almost every game these days, even the good ones, they will often be front loaded with content that isn't always the best part of the game. So I played it...played it..and just kept waiting for the good parts...some point in the game that would make me go "oooh, thats cool". But it never comes with NMS. It starts lackluster, and stays lackluster. It even gets worse once you add on the technical issues, but it almost feels like the game itself is just as deceptive as hello games themselves are. It starts you out with the promise that you'll be discovering these interesting places on worlds, and you'll go from planet to planet, and maybe discover new things. What ends up happening is that every fucking planet feels the same, and just is a different color!

Every damn location you find on a surface of the planets have no variation in them, and it isn't apparent up front, so you have to play it for a long time to even realize you've been tricked into thinking this is some massive diverse universe.

Problems with the game aside. I can go on and on about how deceptive the game itself is, but I feel like the reason I expected a refund is this is not what I thought I was paying $60 for. Even without listening to their messaging prior to release, I could say I felt lied to just as a consumer. You expect a certain level of quality from a $60 retail game that is marketed as a finished product. This is not that. They can call it that, but had they been honest about what exactly this game was, no one would have bought it at $60. That's why they lied I think. They wanted to scam people into paying more than it was worth, so they had to promise a $60 game i if they were going to charge that much. They didn't give a game of that quality thought, which is why I would expect a refund.

If Hello games were honest, and said this was an early access game, and priced it at something more in line with it's content, then people would not be in the uproar they are now.

Nohar

It is a very good thing that Steam is refunding the game, after such blatant false advertising.

As for Sean Murray, I really wonder where he went. His radio silence is deafening. He has to explain himself eventually, or at least show that he is still alive (depending on how malicious his marketing really was, I may or may not be worried that he has some trouble dealing with the backlash).

OuterLimits

I will say that the game has improved some with the patches, and they have released several of them in a fairly short time. I'm still having issues though, and the latest patch while fixing/improving many issues has made the pop in worse at least in my case on PS4. I still get crashes although much, much less than the first week.

Of course this doesn't address the many missing features they talked about before( multiplayer aspect even if rare, better factions, planets rotating and orbiting a star, etc...). It will be interesting to see if they do significant content updates to the game.

RawNuts

Seems pretty straight forward... if the company is granting refunds... it's obvious that they feel it's okay to refund the game.

Case closed?

Can't believe there is 29 pages on this.
You know, with all of the discussion on topics like this, I often lose sight of the more simple answers. Thanks for that.

Speely

Banned
It is a very good thing that Steam is refunding the game, after such blatant false advertising.

As for Sean Murray, I really wonder where he went. His radio silence is deafening. He has to explain himself eventually, or at least show that he is still alive (depending on how malicious his marketing really was, I may or may not be worried that he has some trouble dealing with the backlash).

The silence really is eerie. I will say that even though I will certainly never buy a game of his again, I hope he isn't seriously fucked up by this whole thing. Sure, he pulled some shady shit, but refunds are a thing, these are just games, and life moves on. The hate brigade can get needlessly vitriolic and even threatening.

Yukinari

When was the last time he tweeted? Last tweet i can see is the 18th. But the Hello Games tweeted 11 hours ago.

Coketruck

How can something you played for 4-5 hours be 'practically unplayable'?

That is literally a contradiction of terms.

To clarify, I'm a PS4 player, so my experiences and views are based on that.

I played the game on PS4 as well. Yes, I could technically play the game in that I could launch it and play around for a few minutes, but it would always crash. Could be three minutes in, could be thirty, but the end result was always the same. Since the game doesn't autosave, this means I was frequently losing progress and having to start over again and again. In those 4-5 hours of playtime, I probably only made an hour's worth of progress. Thus, "practically unplayable."

Jobbs

Banned

After reviewing all of the evidence I can't accept that they didn't know they were putting out a great deal of bullshit. I can forgive failure if devs made an honest attempt and fell short, but I can't forgive deliberate misleading, and I am confident that this was deliberate misleading.

Because of this, I doubt he's having much trouble. You have to lack some of the standard parts (such as shame) to go out and spew that much bullshit on so many platforms with your face and identity and reputation right there, so I doubt he cares now if he didn't then. Being silent is probably just part of the business plan.

sazzy

After reviewing all of the evidence I can't accept that they didn't know they were putting out a great deal of bullshit. I can forgive failure if devs made an honest attempt and fell short, but I can't forgive deliberate misleading, and I am confident that this was deliberate misleading.

Because of this, I doubt he's having much trouble. You have to lack some of the standard parts (such as shame) to go out and spew that much bullshit on so many platforms with your face and identity and reputation right there, so I doubt he cares now if he didn't then. Being silent is probably just part of the business plan.

The thing is, whenever he decides to poke his head out, the first question he gets asked will always be about this game, even if its years from now.

JoeBoy101

I just got done with a refund submittal on Steam. I may not get it, but wanted to try. I wasn't going to, but after seeing the center of the galaxy youtube video for NMS... that was the final goddamn straw.

I just got done with a refund submittal on Steam. I may not get it, but wanted to try. I wasn't going to, but after seeing the center of the galaxy youtube video for NMS... that was the final goddamn straw.

Oh but don't you get it it's so clever, there's nothing there. You see we made you think there was something there but there's not! HAH, fooled you! Besides if you want to get to the center you're missing the point, I mean you should definitely go there but once you get there you're definitely missing the point.

Oh No its totally not my business. but i kinda wish to see the tables turn around one day and the same thing happen to you when people return your game you spent years in the making and played hours and then you bank goes -60$ . what goes around comes around mate.

Don't go down that hole mate. Take a step back and consider what you said for a moment. Developers aren't entitled to money for delivering a faulty product. Plain and simple. There's a reason why you have defective returns and refunds.

The GameInformer FB page posted about this, comment section is the stuff of wonders

One of the comments says "I feel like those who bought Evolve were much more deserving of a refund than those who purchased No Man's Sky"

Lmao, what? Evolve looked mediocre from prior to release, and it was exactly that when it came out. lol People who bought that game deserved to get shafted because they were at least completely honest about what the game was. NMS was nothing but lies.

Speely

Banned
The thing is, whenever he decides to poke his head out, the first question he gets asked will always be about this game, even if its years from now.

Wonder what he'll say?

fpihYsC.jpg

Jobbs

Banned
Evolve was shit, but I knew it was shit. I played the open beta. THe game was terrible.

NMS represents lies/marketing/hype unlike anything I've ever seen. I don't know what to compare it to, because even though the hype/lies about Fable were pretty hilarious, the game turned out to be decent (even though it in no way lived up to the hype). With NMS being as bad and as barren as it is, I can't think of any comparison.

There were plenty of previews and videos out before launch that showed the game. I think many people just got caught up in the hype and are now left disappointed. There are many people who enjoyed NMS because we had different expectations going in. Saying NMS is a completely different product and therefore should be refunded is pretty extreme IMO. There are numerous movies that had awesome trailers but the actual movie was horrible. Yet we would never ask for a refund. I feel like games should be offered the same treatment since hard work did go into making this game. It's disingenuous to say otherwise.

Show me a single case where the content of said trailers was not in the actual movie and then we'll talk.

OK good for you. I run a pharmacy and guess what, many drugs don't meet the patient's expectations. Should I be offering refunds for every prescription that doesn't work? Why do you think the FDA's main criteria is safety and not efficacy? You can't guarantee that a product meet's everyone's expectations and therefore that is not the criteria for a refund.

Do you create false expectation by lying about the drugs you sell them?

Jobbs

Banned
Show me a single case where the content of said trailers was not in the actual movie and then we'll talk.

This is a bad example because sometimes trailers do feature footage not seen in the final cut, and you'll just derail the conversation.

The marketing/lies about NMS are not comparable to a good trailer for a bad movie, though, i agree there.

I can't think of anything in movies or games or otherwise to compare the NMS thing to. I've simply never seen so many lies told about a work that turned out to be so bad.

Still boggles my mind how some companies get away with no reviews until a game releases or review copies sent on the same day

Only doom got away with it since it was an amazing game

These guys knew about the empty promises

Top Bottom