• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WOW OMG: Steam is refunding No Man's Sky even if you played more then 2 hours

BrettWeir

Same. I have now raised a ticket and provided the relevant Consumer Rights Act 2015 (UK) information and am awaiting further response.

Raise a ticket manually and harp on the deceptive nature of the trailer on the store page (for Steam) and technical issues.

Valve responds when things start to cost them money, so they might respond to a large number of manual tickets.

Thank you. I've submitted another refund request.

Evolve was shit, but I knew it was shit. I played the open beta. THe game was terrible.

NMS represents lies/marketing/hype unlike anything I've ever seen. I don't know what to compare it to, because even though the hype/lies about Fable were pretty hilarious, the game turned out to be decent (even though it in no way lived up to the hype). With NMS being as bad and as barren as it is, I can't think of any comparison.

How did you not see the game was shit from the real gameplay demo's, which all looked completely different from the initial trailers. With literally nothing happening in them other than firing a pea shooter at rocks?

I know there was Sean Murray BS on top of that, but it was obvious the game wouldn't come close to the hype.

Was it just the desire for this to be your dream game? That I can understand. But it's like a whole load of people were put in a trance by it. More knowlegeable people included (you're a dev, right?)

For me Sony are just as complacent in this fiasco. They are the ones who gave it the limelight. Yosp is on record saying the game is incredible, or words to that effect. And Sony are almost certainly responsible, directly or indirectly, for the $60 price tag.

Maybe the radio silence is on them too.

If you are from Europe I would demand a refund and not stop until I got it. In this neck of the woods consumer rights is king, and you have plenty of ammo to throw at them.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
i was only talking about those who actually played and ( seems enjoy it since they put lots of hours in it and didn't mention any crashes ) to return it. that's is what i think not fair.

again, why are people bringing this up to this thread when we see that people who are asking for refunds here have problems like bugs?

why? what is the point? is it to show you have higher ground? because again, it is irrelevant in this thread as no one so far at least has shown to be "malicious" in their refunding.

lol, stuff like this makes me laugh, I feel like the movie Big Fat Liar should be shopped with his face by now.

tqHh9Yi.jpg

Meffer

Oh No its totally not my business. but i kinda wish to see the tables turn around one day and the same thing happen to you when people return your game you spent years in the making and played hours and then you bank goes -60$ . what goes around comes around mate. gl

well guess what ? you posted a valid reason about an experience happened with you which is the gaming crashing. If that is happening to me i would ask for a refund. i don't want a bad game in a technical level. so your points are valid.

i was only talking about those who actually played and ( seems enjoy it since they put lots of hours in it and didn't mention any crashes ) to return it. that's is what i think not fair.

Ultimately it really goes down to a morality of the person. just because you can doesn't mean you should do it. speaking in general

In this game to be specific, Developers lied. So they should get the heat. you can't go and say shit in public that isn't in the game, then you don't even address them and hide or run with that money you took from the people because they trusted you
Honestly, I wasn't enjoying it for the most part. I tried but the inventory management and UI among the constant depleting stat reminders really bummed me out. It felt like a waste of money and I'm glad I got refund so I can spend that money on a game that I'll enjoy more.
And no, this game did not feel like it was worth $60 at all.

Wow this is 30 pages? Why? Are people really arguing that getting a refund for the game is wrong? No matter how many hours you play, it won't add the things this game was promised. I would make a bet that they won't add half they stuff they promised with patches.

I didn't buy into the hype so I haven't tried the game but I have afew friends that did and they say the game feels like a $20 tech demo. I personally have no problem with then getting refunds no matter how many hours they put into it. They are entitled to it and people who are against it have no business in what they do.

Kikorin

If only they didn't lied that much and instead released this game like an early access on Steam, probably they would had enough feedback, time and money to really make the game they thinked from the start. Really sad that they fallen for the money. Obviously a triple A campaign was inviting, but the backlash will persecute the studio (and Sean in particular) for life.

Pheace

If you are from Europe I would demand a refund and not stop until I got it. In this neck of the woods consumer rights is king, and you have plenty of ammo to throw at them.

It's really not necessarily that easy here. False advertising is a good argument though, provided it happens on the storefront where you bought it.

With digital purchases though, you waive your right to 14 day withdrawal period (simple refund) at most online shops these days. That said, that doesn't affect refunds for falsely advertised or faulty products. (though the latter is a bit difficult, bugs are "within expectations" for software, so it'd need to be something serious)

Sad what happened with this game. Had it released with $20-$30 pricetag it probably would've been praised despite not delivering on a lot of what they were promising. The $60 tag though, that lacked any class.

U-R

Refunds? I would ask damages if i wasted 50 hours over nothing.

I think some posters in this thread should educate themselved on addicting gameplay elements and exploiting compulsive player behavior. No it's not strange that a piece of nothing triggers people into wasting hour upon hour of unfun work: it's literally a science at this point.

sirap

Seeing the backlash for this game almost makes me wish it came out on early access instead. I'm happy with what we have in the game, but I do want them to continue improving and adding to the base mechanics. Hopefully the overwhelmingly negative response to this game doesn't discourage them from expanding on the original idea.

Kyoufu

What were you up to for 50 hours?

Mainly farming Emeril and Gold to buy a better ship to start travelling. Ships are very expensive and you have to put a lot of time into grinding for good ones, especially the ones with better hyperdrives and upgrading Exosuit to farm more efficiently as well.

jiggles

Banned
The refund system gave me a "NO" for my 4hrs with the game, so I tried my luck with a manual ticket

Hi,

I purchased this game based on the trailers on the Steam store page and promotional interviews from the lead designer claiming I could play with my friends.

It turns out, the trailers are misleading to the quality of the game, and the claim that it has multiplayer is false. I was misled into making this purchase through false representation of the product and would like a full refund.

I'm not expecting anything, though.

SomTervo

The refund system gave me a "NO" for my 4hrs with the game, so I tried my luck with a manual ticket

Hi,

I purchased this game based on the trailers on the Steam store page and promotional interviews from the lead designer claiming I could play with my friends.

It turns out, the trailers are misleading to the quality of the game, and the claim that it has multiplayer is false. I was misled into making this purchase through false representation of the product and would like a full refund.

I'm not expecting anything, though.

Sounds fair enough to me. Good luck.

SomTervo

Seeing the backlash for this game almost makes me wish it came out on early access instead. I'm happy with what we have in the game, but I do want them to continue improving and adding to the base mechanics. Hopefully the overwhelmingly negative response to this game doesn't discourage them from expanding on the original idea.

Fully agreed.

Are you going to write any smut about it?
;)

I'm conflicted over this. I haven't bought NMS although I intend to after its patched up a bit, but coming from someone who has sold stuff on eBay I dread someone doing a refund or a chargeback because its something out of your hands at that point.

Like, if the game flat out doesn't work, that's one thing. There's a reasonable expectation that the game will actually work. But if you buy the game, play it more than you would expect to play most any other AAA game, then get it refunded...like, why? Because you got bored with it? Because you feel like you were lied to? It just reminds me of me as a cheapskate kid abusing EB's return policy, buying Max Payne and beating it within 7 days so I could return it.

I mean shit, if I got a refund for all the mediocre games I've bought over the years that I thought were gonna be the second coming of Christ...well I'd have more money I guess, but my time has become far more precious to me these days.

Ambitious

At some point, HG will have to make a statement about this whole mess. What's it gonna be? Personally, I expect them to play the victim card.

Mihos

Gold Member
Mainly farming Emeril and Gold to buy a better ship to start travelling. Ships are very expensive and you have to put a lot of time into grinding for good ones, especially the ones with better hyperdrives and upgrading Exosuit to farm more efficiently as well.

Took me about an hour just trading between the market bot starred resources and the ships that kept docking to make 40 million... you were just doing it wrong.

Also, 50% of all crashed ships you find have higher slot counts, so just hacking the red light things will get you a free upgrade in little time if you want to go that route.....

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
At some point, HG will have to make a statement about this whole mess. What's it gonna be? Personally, I expect them to play the victim card.

The statement should have been made before launch, detailing what features had been pulled and why. But at a minimum the statement should have been made immediately after release when the backlash started. But now after this incredibly long and poignant radio silence I don't think they have any intention of ever addressing this. Their actions point very squarely to a hype driven cash grab on their behalf. They saw a chance to milk the hyped perceptions with false statements and dishonest gameplay videos and make lots of money based on lies, and they went with it. I mean Sean was actively lying about features that were not in the game mere DAYS before release, so yeah, his actions tell a pretty sound tale, and it ain't a good one.

How do you admit that publically? You don't, instead you just take the money and quietly walk away, which seems to be exactly what they are actually doing.

Kyoufu

Took me about an hour just trading between the market bot starred resources and the ships that kept docking to make 40 million... you were just doing it wrong.

Also, 50% of all crashed ships you find have higher slot counts, so just hacking the red light things will get you a free upgrade in little time if you want to go that route.....

Good for you. Now, what's your point?

Hesh

I get not liking a game, but considering this board's stance on scummy things I'm pretty surprised so many people are abusing this and everyone is cheering them on as they abuse it.

Still boggles my mind how some companies get away with no reviews until a game releases or review copies sent on the same day

Only doom got away with it since it was an amazing game

These guys knew about the empty promises

Well, you don't have to buy every game on the first day of purchase.

It's not a reviewers right to be sent pre-release copies. Consumer and reviewer impressions will reveal themselves and the market will discern the value of a product quite quickly, but honestly for those desperate to hold onto their $60, then maybe they shouldn't be making day one, blind purchases.

cooperma

Good show mate. Are you in the UK? Did you post the consumer rights info and did it help? What did you have to say in order to speak to a supervisor?

Nope US. Basically I just reaffirmed that I thought it was stupid that they were saying I was ineligible due to me preordering too early and I wanted this escalated to a supervisor. Told him the truth -. I spends 1000s of dollars on PSN every year, have been a member since release day ps3 and I have never asked for a refund. Said this is garbage that you would treat one of your loyal customers like this that has no history of abusing the system. Thankfully he agreed to try to refund.

So, Amazon refunded me for my standard edition physical copy and told me I didn't need to send it back. My game kept crashing and I would lose progress every time.

How do you admit that publically? You don't, instead you just take the money and quietly walk away, which seems to be exactly what they are actually doing.

Exactly, I expect this patch hurrah to die out really quickly after which they'll clearly fuck off into the sunset and never come back. They may as well I'm sure nobody will buy anything else off of them for the foreseeable future.

Chucker

Ruth: I asked you this because, According to SCEA's records, your PlayStation Network account has only downloaded (name of title), and it has been played though 12 percentage and earned 7 trophies. I'm sorry, due to the restrictions outlined in the PlayStation Terms of Service; a refund exception cannot be made for this transaction.

What? I didn't even tell them what game.

Edit: So what I'm getting is that I earned a trophy they can't refund it.

sirap

I don't see how you making money faster than I was somehow makes frequent crashing and loss of progress excusable?

What am I even reading here?

He's only addressing the grinding issue you had for ship upgrades. He never said anything about game crashes in that post, let alone excuse them?

Jobbs

Banned

It belongs in early access. It's a $20 indie project that somehow got swept pretending its an AAA release and that's part of the probken.

If it was a $20 early access title and there was no lies or bullsbit I think it'd have a very supportive and enthusiastic following.

It belongs in early access. It's a $20 indie project that somehow got swept pretending its an AAA release and that's part of the probken.

If it was a $20 early access title and there was no lies or bullsbit I think it'd have a very supportive and enthusiastic following.
Damn

You wont see Murray again until he annouces the "fixed" version of NMS...

Exclusive to Xbox one and Windows 10.

6 months later the "fix" will be available for PS4 and steam as paid DLC.

Top Bottom