• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WOW OMG: Steam is refunding No Man's Sky even if you played more then 2 hours

Chucker

It belongs in early access. It's a $20 indie project that somehow got swept pretending its an AAA release and that's part of the probken.

If it was a $20 early access title and there was no lies or bullsbit I think it'd have a very supportive and enthusiastic following.

I wholeheartedly agree with this.

Kyoufu

He's only addressing the grinding issue you had for ship upgrades. He never said anything about game crashes in that post, let alone excuse them?

I don't know about now, but at the time, there was no way of making 40 million in an hour that I know of. Nothing documented on YouTube at least. I made enough to buy two ships and travel through a black hole. After that point on the crashes became more frequent and then when I reached the last star system I was in, the game shit the bed.

Not that I need to still defend myself but that is unacceptable.

sirap

It belongs in early access. It's a $20 indie project that somehow got swept pretending its an AAA release and that's part of the probken.

If it was a $20 early access title and there was no lies or bullsbit I think it'd have a very supportive and enthusiastic following.

The pricing for this game and how PR was handled are two separate things in my opinion. I understand the frustration behind the broken promises, but I don't think there's anything wrong with indie games charging $60. As always, you should vote with your wallet (and never preorder a game, even if the trailers look incredible. Preorder bonuses are almost never worth it :p)

I don't know about now, but at the time, there was no way of making 40 million in an hour that I know of. Nothing documented on YouTube at least. I made enough to buy two ships and travel through a black hole. After that point on the crashes became more frequent and then when I reached the last star system I was in, the game shit the bed.

Not that I need to still defend myself but that is unacceptable.

No one is disagreeing with you about the crashes. Believe me, I had my share of crashes too. I just thought it was weird that you accused the guy of excusing the crashes when he was clearly not.

Chucker

The pricing for this game and how PR was handled are two separate things in my opinion. I understand the frustration behind the broken promises, but I don't think there's anything wrong with indie games charging $60.

I don't either. I just think this is an unfortunate situation where a broken, over promised game was delivered for $60.

Weebos

Banned
People have had success refunding through Amazon even digitally. Give it a try.

It's a 2 minute thing using live chat. Not complicated at all.

I did it like 3 days after games launch, and they gave me a refund.

I was able to get a refund for my digital PS4 purchase through Amazon. I feel great, definitely was straining my entertainment budget a bit.

Do they have a way to remove the game from my PS4, or do I also keep the game? I'll feel bad if I keep it.

Nzyme32

I guess I'll try later? The person I got said because I played 12% of the game I can't get a refund.

That kills me, lol.

How on earth do they even measure "12%" played of any game or even use that as a metric for whether a refund should be given. Ridiculous

keezy

Why would it be an issue if people request a refund after X amount of hours played?

I didn't buy this game but the entire feature promotion with NMS has been misleading since day 1. If you mislead people with idiotic cryptic claims I see no issues with requesting a refund at 50 hours of play.

Assanova

I'm keeping my copy. I'm not happy that a lot was cut out, but I'm going to hold out for any updates. They just won't be getting any more of my money for their next game if we don't get some kind of free update that adds content to the game.

Why would it be an issue if people request a refund after X amount of hours played?

I didn't buy this game but the entire feature promotion with NMS has been misleading since day 1. If you mislead people with idiotic cryptic claims I see no issues with requesting a refund at 50 hours of play.
Finishing the game and returning? Otherwise people would do it all the time just like renting I guess

cooperma

This has been my second biggest gaming regret this gear, next to the division. ( Rating it higher because some how I got suckered into the 99.00 version. Played to level 30 or whatever went in the dark zone a couple times and said that's enough life for me today).

I hope hello games comes out of this ok but at the same time hope they have learned some lessons too

Mihos

Gold Member
Seriously Hello games should drop the price to $30. It would be the best response after all the missing features and fiasco.

$30 is probably about right, although it would need to not crash. If the description wasn't over blown, the crashes were fixed, and it was steam sale time.... it would have been a gem. They got caught up in their own hype and he talked about what the game could be instead of what it is. Should have been more up front, at least the Firewatch devs did that

Arozay

I had over 10 tickets rejected when I first bought the game, I'll try one last time with a manual ticket I guess (Steam).

HariKari

Seriously Hello games should drop the price to $30. It would be the best response after all the missing features and fiasco.

Nah, best response would be to contact all resellers of the game and tell them to offer unconditional refunds. Sony can hold the L for pushing this out when they had to know it wasn't ready.

RedRumy3

Idk why I didn't buy it on steam since I know GoG sucks at refunds. :'( oh well I put 3 hours into the game and already regretted buying it.

SomTervo

To be honest i kind think its a rip off and not fair for the developers. if you played many hours in the game, you shouldn't be able to get your full money back. that's not fair.

I didn't buy the game and I didn't like it from the first day the showed us the game. and i do not think its worth 20$ value even.

but people spending hours and hours on the game, then say ( its not worth it, i didn't like it) and try to get your money back ? cmon son

Admittedly the extent of the game's shallowness and misrepresentation sometimes only becomes clear very far down the line. It was a 9/10 for me until 25/30 hours in when it started really sloping, I'd give it a 7/10 at most now. I'm personally not refunding because I do enjoy it but I can totally understand it.

Just got a refund on my PS4 digital edition.

I started a live chat and all I had to type was "I'm here for the No Man's Sky refund." The rep knew exactly what I was talking about and put $60 in my account the whole process took about 5 minutes. Thanks Sony

Duesy

Got my refund within a few hours last night; I pre-ordered back in april (how stupid of me) and got fooled with all the false promises.

Easy refund for them, turns out I only played 69 minutes; my library was saying I played 3 hours;

kaskade

So is Amazon refunding physical copies too? I'd love to get my money back. Maybe I'll just rebuy it when the price drops a bunch.

sazzy

couple of gems from a similar thread on r/gaming

ddNM0G.gif

giphy.gif

Venom Fox

Banned
I hope Hello Games come out and speak about the problems after the mass refunds.

Maybe it'll help them learn from their mistakes and rectify the problems with this game and help them clarify things with fans for their future games. I feel this could ruin Hello Games and as much as they've lied I don't with people to lose their jobs.

Even so, people deserve refunds if they've encountered crashes etc. Even so I hope Hello Games just acknowledge the situation they're in.

Successfully returned my ps4 collectors edition.

DAYUM. This game is getting reamed.

vucAFCk.jpg

Used to work at Sony, signed indies. Probably No Man's Sky too.

I agree.

"I put over 50 hours into this game...oh now I think I'll jump on this bandwagon and suddenly decide it wasn't worth my time. Give me my money back."

Fucking seriously? It took you 50+ hours to come to the conclusion you don't like the game and want your money back?

spidye

Now Shahid Kamal Amhad brought this on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/shahidkamal/status/769882257964294144

so he called someone a thief on twitter and now threatens to block people who respond to this?

I had to google him who he was and wow he was a former sony executive???

DAYUM. This game is getting reamed.

I agree.

"I put over 50 hours into this game...oh now I think I'll jump on this bandwagon and suddenly decide it wasn't worth my time. Give me my money back."

Fucking seriously? It took you 50+ hours to come to the conclusion you don't like the game and want your money back?

good job on not even reading the very first post in this thread

Hello Games PR strategy of keeping silent and acting like everything is as intended is now working against them. Besides the refunds, it looks like their reputation is sinking hard.

Top Bottom