• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WOW OMG: Steam is refunding No Man's Sky even if you played more then 2 hours

Venom Fox

Banned
DAYUM. This game is getting reamed.

I agree.

"I put over 50 hours into this game...oh now I think I'll jump on this bandwagon and suddenly decide it wasn't worth my time. Give me my money back."

Fucking seriously? It took you 50+ hours to come to the conclusion you don't like the game and want your money back?
At least read up on what your talking about in the hope it won't make you sound seriously dumb next time...

Edit: The answer to the knowledge you seek is 29 posts into the first page.

Hesh

What are they abusing it?

I'm guessing you're being facetious, but on the off chance you're not: Steam refunds are to protect consumers that bought something that was falsely represented on the Steam store page and was limited to less than 2 hours of play time because consumers would be able to realize something was terribly wrong with the game they purchased by then. Playing a game to completion or for several days worth of game time and then using that same system that is in place to protect consumers to get your money back because you can is abusing that same system. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

hamchan

I agree.

"I put over 50 hours into this game...oh now I think I'll jump on this bandwagon and suddenly decide it wasn't worth my time. Give me my money back."

Fucking seriously? It took you 50+ hours to come to the conclusion you don't like the game and want your money back?

Or the game became a non-functioning product after 50 hours completely justifying a refund.

Or the game became a non-functioning product after 50 hours completely justifying a refund.

I'm talking about people who suddenly decided they don't like the game and returned it after 50 hours. Because those people exist.

I'm not talking about people dealing with a legitimately broken game.

People are foolish if they think the refund system won't be abused by those who have had their fill and just want their money back. If that's not what the tweet is referring to then whatever, fuck him.

LostDonkey

How can you be a thief if the sony support is giving you the ok for a refund?

You are using your one-time refund right here, isn't that also somewhere in the agreement?

Exactly, it's not like anyone is being forced at gunpoint to give a refund. They KNOW that the product was mis sold, lied about, IS BROKEN and under UK law especially, must be replaced/repaired or refunded. Regardless of the amount of hours spent "playing".

baconcow

Not sure how the guy is a thief when he had a clearly non-working game. People are ignoring the context of his situation and grabbing the pitchforks.

Castef

Banned
Exactly, it's not like anyone is being forced at gunpoint to give a refund. They KNOW that the product was mis sold, lied about, IS BROKEN and under UK law especially, must be replaced/repaired or refunded. Regardless of the amount of hours spent "playing".

Also, see it like this: someone spent 50 hours on a game and that stopped playing, de-facto wasting 50 hours of game time against a wall of crashes.

Isn't that a reason for a refund?

Petrae

I'm taking a break from the internet. Being called a "thief" for returning a broken product just kills me inside.

If you believe that you were in the right, then nothing else matters. Shahid is blindly defending his indie brethren, consumer rights be damned.

hamchan

I'm taking a break from the internet. Being called a "thief" for returning a broken product just kills me inside.

That's pretty shitty from this guy to just call you a thief when it's perfectly reasonable to want a refund for a broken product. Extra stings because he's probably rich as fuck too.

Nosgotham

I agree.

Lets say you drive 4 hours a day. You just buy a new car. It runs well fir the first 10 days but on day 11 it starts turning off while you're driving and the steering wheel no longer works reliably. Wouldn't you want a refund?

You wouldn't return a car.

Why the hell not? If you bought a new car and it quickly went to shit they would get a completely different car or get a suit filed.

Shogun413

Everyone has a right to be unhappy about the crashes whatever version they have. If people genuinely are at that stage where they have the game in that state after getting that far in, of course they have a genuine case to make for a refund.

I am unhappy about the way the game has been released and I am unhappy with Hello Games for a lot of the same reasons other players are. However, I think we have people who have a reasonable case for a refund and we have some people who see an opportunity to get their money back even though they've spent a heck of a lot of time playing the game and enjoying what it is and some who just want to join in the pile on to Hello Games because they find that gratifying.

There have been unreasonable actions from Hello Games and there are now unreasonable actions by some of the people doing this, in my opinion. I'm not happy with any of it.

You talk too much sense for this thread. I agree with everything you just said and I have been trying to make the same points. But as soon as I said not all refunds are justified, I got labeled as being on a crusade against consumer rights haha. It's almost like people are offended that there are people who actually enjoy NMS for what it is.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
It belongs in early access. It's a $20 indie project that somehow got swept pretending its an AAA release and that's part of the probken.

If it was a $20 early access title and there was no lies or bullsbit I think it'd have a very supportive and enthusiastic following.

Very much this. While it lined Hello Games pockets with cash, all the publicity and marketing this got after Sony stepped in and money hatted the console version really ended up hurting the game and dev's reputation.

It both drew it into the console war nonsense and got the attention of, and discussion by, more mainstream gamers who never would have looked twice if it had remained an indie multiplat and gotten that level of marketing.

But as is it generated hate from people who just aren't in the market for it, MS and Nintnedo fanboys, and people who got tired of its fans (even before the launch) defending the game to the death. Add in the marketing being misleading from the from the final project and leading to unrealistic expectations by many and that's where we are.

But who knows, maybe Muurray is laughing all the way to the bank and doesn't care about the future of his studio if he's made plenty to retire/make whatever he wants without worrying about sales. I certainly wouldn't blame him. I mean I like my job and all but if I got a big payday and could retire comfortably I'd never work again.

Yasumi

Banned
Don't take it too personally. Dude has a vested personal interest in NMS's success.
That much is certainly true. In a series of tweets earlier this week, Shahid Ahmad, who was instrumental in building the partnership between Sony and Hello Games, outlined just how rare and unlikely No Man's Sky's journey has been. According to Ahmad, who stated that a lot of the story remains untold, "at the time, for [Hello Games] to trust me, and PlayStation, was the biggest risk any developer has ever taken."

Everyone has a right to be unhappy about the crashes whatever version they have. If people genuinely are at that stage where they have the game in that state after getting that far in, of course they have a genuine case to make for a refund.

I am unhappy about the way the game has been released and I am unhappy with Hello Games for a lot of the same reasons other players are. However, I think we have people who have a reasonable case for a refund and we have some people who see an opportunity to get their money back even though they've spent a heck of a lot of time playing the game and enjoying what it is and some who just want to join in the pile on to Hello Games because they find that gratifying.

There have been unreasonable actions from Hello Games and there are now unreasonable actions by some of the people doing this, in my opinion. I'm not happy with any of it.

Thank you for the common sense. Something that's very scarce around here.

liquidtmd

Banned
You wouldn't return a car.

The point of No
(Mans Sky)
Return!

hands.gif

LewieP

I wouldn't be too hard on Shahid here. I've disagree with him about this, but I know he's emotionally invested in No Man's Sky. He worked with Hello on bringing Joe Danger to PS3, and was heavily involved with signing No Man's Sky as a PlayStation exclusive. He doesn't work for Sony any more, so he's not presenting any official Sony position or anything, but I do appreciate hearing his genuine opinion even if I disagree with it. Given how silent Hello and Sony are being about the game, it's nice to at least hear from someone who was involved in it earlier on, even though clearly his statements now aren't anything close to official communication from Sony or Hello. He's just an indie dev that used to work at Sony, although obviously still cares.

I recommend listening to him tell the story of his involvement in signing NMS as a PS4 exclusive. His passion really comes across, and it's just an interesting and funny story.

Yeah, plus he has a verified tag lol. I thought only really important people got those. Not even Adam Boyes has one.

Nah they'll let any Joe Schmo get verified these days. Case in point.

Now Shahid Kamal Amhad brought this on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/shahidkamal/status/769882257964294144

If you're lying in your game's PR campaign and make up castles in the sky without ever telling your customers what features you talked about, but actually cut out or never even developed, you're a fraud.

Hello Games brought this on themselves and everyone who's defending them is absolutely fucking crazy at this point.

I just asked for a refund. This was probably my most anticipated game, and yea not touching this with a ten foot pole until whenever they actually put in everything they promised.

Does the Steam top sellers list track refunds as well? Cause NMS has taken a gigantic nosedive there, bouncing between #2-4 a couple of days ago to #77 today.

ghst

thanks for the laugh

I agree.

what if they spent 50 hours trying to get to the point where they could join in that giant faction based intergalactic conflict that they were promised?

Petrae

I wouldn't be too hard on Shahid here. I've disagree with him about this, but I know he's emotionally invested in No Man's Sky. He worked with Hello on bringing Joe Danger to PS3, and was heavily involved with signing No Man's Sky as a PlayStation exclusive. He doesn't work for Sony any more, so he's not presenting any official Sony position or anything, but I do appreciate hearing his genuine opinion even if I disagree with it. Given how silent Hello and Sony are being about the game, it's nice to at least hear from someone who was involved in it earlier on, even though clearly his statements now aren't anything close to official communication from Sony or Hello. He's just an indie dev that used to work at Sony, although obviously still cares.

I recommend listening to him tell the story of his involvement in signing NMS as a PS4 exclusive. His passion really comes across, and it's just an interesting and funny story.

I can't buy this. "Passion" and "emotionally invested" go out the window as excuses when you flat-out accuse someome of theft.

Jobbs

Banned
If you're lying in your game's PR campaign and make up castles in the sky without ever telling your customers what features you talked about, but actually cut out or never even developed, you're a fraud.

Hello Games brought this on themselves and everyone who's defending them is absolutely fucking crazy at this point.

Thank god for you

I'm surprised by how some people seem to equate this to some kind of "oh, they just couldn't quite deliver" (which is an idea I'd be very sympathetic to). No, that wasn't it at all. This was just pure BS.

sflufan

Banned
Hello Games PR strategy of keeping silent and acting like everything is as intended is now working against them. Besides the refunds, it looks like their reputation is sinking hard.

I would imagine that legal counsel has advised them to refrain from making any public statements for the time being.

LostDonkey

Does the Steam top sellers list track refunds as well? Cause NMS has taken a gigantic nosedive there, bouncing between #2-4 a couple of days ago to #77 today.

I'm assuming after all the problems, people have just given up on it. I haven't even launched it since the 20th of this month (8 days ago). I lost all my data after 20 odd hours and I really cant be bothered with the crap performance on my rig.

Venom Fox

Banned
Shahid blocked me on Twitter so I've reported him for offensive and abusive comments about someone else. What a fucking prick. All I did was tweet that it's within the law to get a refund if the game is broken and he as a dev shouldn't be condoning broken games.

what if they spent 50 hours trying to get to the point where they could join in that giant faction based intergalactic conflict that they were promised?

LOL

By that point either you're aware that features were scaled back or you're pretty thick/naive.

My point is, you wouldn't play a game for 50 fucking hours if you weren't enjoying it. And if you were and you try to refund it just because it's the "hey, look at that hate mob all getting refunds for their game. Some people have a legitimate reason to refund it. But they're giving refunds regardless. Whatever, I want my money back!" situation...well yeah, you're a fucking prick. You know who you are.

Is the game broken? I don't understand, does it have game-breaking bugs or something like that?

PC users have the worst of it and no one can blame them for wanting their money back. It's really just plain broken for a lot of PC gamers. For others it comes screeching to a halt the closer they get to the center of the universe.

And for some people, they've been perfectly fine with it and haven't had any major issues, and managed to reach the center just fine.
Only to find out, look, it's fucking nothing.

Top Bottom