• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WOW OMG: Steam is refunding No Man's Sky even if you played more then 2 hours

kowhai

I bought a code from Amazon and didn't think I would have any luck getting a refund. I contacted support and first time they said no. An hour later I tried again, they said no, so I asked to speak to supervisor.

They said they would refund as a goodwill gesture. Being polite and persistent is always helpful.

There's way too many people taking advantage of this refund stuff. At what point do some of you hold yourself accountable for buying a shit game?

You do realize people have had to live with shitty over promised and under delivered games up until very recently, right? And if they're on PS4 they're using up their one-time refund on this.

Let's not pretend this opens the floodgates to cavalcade of people requesting refunds despite being satisfied with the game and playing it for 80 hours.

Does the Steam chart take refunds into account in its ranking? That might explain why NMS has completely cratered on the list even beyond what you'd expect from the bad word of mouth.

There's way too many people taking advantage of this refund stuff. At what point do some of you hold yourself accountable for buying a shit game?

Would you prefer to see other developers watch from the sidelines as a game sells millions largely due to false marketing with no negative repercussions?

This is a pretty good thing to get pissed about. We don't want the shadier elements of the industry adopting Hello Games's modus operandi.

I bought a code from Amazon and didn't think I would have any luck getting a refund. I contacted support and first time they said no. An hour later I tried again, they said no, so I asked to speak to supervisor.

They said they would refund as a goodwill gesture. Being polite and persistent is always helpful.

I hope it's the developers of NMS that takes a hit instead of Amazon.

A better question should be at what point do we hold developers accountable for their actions? I think this is a perfect reaction for the way that HG has handled this entire situation. They don't deserve to be rewarded for their deception and silence. No one should. That's the point.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I have bought over 800 games in my lifetime. This is the first time I ever wanted a refund and asked for one.

I knew what I was getting into on those purchases even if I didn't like it I held the loss , no man's sky I thought I knew but it turns out that was all lies not to mention the constant crashes and progress halting bugs I was getting. I just couldn't take it. This is the first time I ever felt the urge of screw you, you didn't deserve my money.

And you know what Sony seemed perfectly fine with it, got my refund in less than 5 minutes of the chat being open.

Fluxdyne

For all the people that are having real problems I hope you get a refund. All others that just want a refund because they can I hope your system bricks!!
Thankfully, "hoping" does nothing. If it did, please think of the enviromental issues that you are causing by bricking those innocent systems.

you seem far too invested in this

I'm sorry...

batman-crying.gif

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
You know you fucked up when Sony are handing out refunds like candy.

Venom Fox

Banned
You only have 30 days with physical goods. BUT you still are covered by UK law for a full refund if the digital product cannot be repaired or replaced.

Besides that UK law already covers for false advertising and misrepresentation of any product, physical or digital. So no, they would be breaking the law by refusing.

This isn't true - the EU law applies. Read here for info - https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8620-QYAL-4516

Hardware does have the 30 days, boxed software and digitally provided content are typically excluded, but do give 14 days on Steam anyway.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-rights-for-consumers-when-buying-digital-content

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/can-i-get-a-refund-on-a-digital-download

Key changes include:
this will be the first time that consumers have had clear legal rights for digital content - specifically, the Act gives consumers the right to repair or replacement of faulty digital content such as online films and games, music downloads, and ebooks
a 30 day time period to return faulty goods and get a full refund, the law was previously unclear on how long this period should last.

After 30 days, retailers have one opportunity to repair or replace any goods and the consumer can choose whether they want the goods to be repaired or replaced - if the attempt at a repair or replacement is unsuccessful, the consumer can then claim a refund or a price reduction if they wish to keep the product.

Edit: October 2015 saw the Consumer Rights Act come into play. This covers physical and digital good including good as a service such as hire purchase etc.

You get equal right on BOTH physical an digital goods. You get 30 days to claim a full refund if the goods are faulty, not fit for purpose or misdescribed.

Kebiinu

Banned
I called Amazon to attempt a refund, despite the fact that I don't actually own the game, and the customer service rep was really helpful. But now it seems as if my PS4 no longer works...bricked maybe? I'm sad.

At the end of the day, my take on all of this is that HG bit off more than they could chew. When they choked, they were too embarrassed to come forward and admit they couldn't deliver, knowing they desperately needed the funds from a shipped game to keep them out of complete financial ruin.

This would make for one hell of a documentary.

etta

my hard graphic balls
I called Amazon to attempt a refund, despite the fact that I don't actually own the game, and the customer service rep was really helpful. But now it seems as if my PS4 no longer works...bricked maybe? I'm sad.
Dano already a serial bricker.

For the love of God and all that is holy, someone stop him!

Raven117

I'm not saying that folks shouldn't be upset because for sure the marketing was misleading. Further, the price tag is too high for what we got despise the marketing.

But ya know. I like the game. It's more akin to flower and journey than wing commander, but I dig it

LostDonkey

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-rights-for-consumers-when-buying-digital-content

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/can-i-get-a-refund-on-a-digital-download

Key changes include:
this will be the first time that consumers have had clear legal rights for digital content - specifically, the Act gives consumers the right to repair or replacement of faulty digital content such as online films and games, music downloads, and ebooks
a 30 day time period to return faulty goods and get a full refund, the law was previously unclear on how long this period should last.

After 30 days, retailers have one opportunity to repair or replace any goods and the consumer can choose whether they want the goods to be repaired or replaced - if the attempt at a repair or replacement is unsuccessful, the consumer can then claim a refund or a price reduction if they wish to keep the product.

Edit: October 2015 saw the Consumer Rights Act come into play. This covers physical and digital good including good as a service such as hire purchase etc.

You get equal right on BOTH physical an digital goods. You get 30 days to claim a full fend if the goods are faulty, not fit for purpose or misdescribed.

I stand corrected, Thanks for the Info.

I was going off the information here: http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act

"This right to a refund doesn't apply to purely digital products though - such as music, games or apps that you buy as downloads."

But since yours is from a.GOV source Id wager its more accurate. Thanks.

Scrootemz

Neo Member
I sent a refund request to Humble Bundle where I purchased my copy. Let's see if they refund me despite my key being claimed. I'm guessing they won't.

Venom Fox

Banned
I stand corrected, Thanks for the Info.

I was going off the information here: http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act

"This right to a refund doesn't apply to purely digital products though - such as music, games or apps that you buy as downloads."

But since yours is from a.GOV source Id wager its more accurate. Thanks.
I think they have to give you a repair or replacement. Since this is extremely unlikely they can repair or replace the whole product the government expects you to be refunded.

The .government website states your eligible for a full refund buy which says they need to repair or replace it first. It's confusing.

Edit: Ah ok. If the digital product cannot be repaired or replaced you can request a price deduction of 100% (refund basically). Hello Games have updated the game a few times so therefore you've given them chance to repair it.

And it says the seller has to repair lol. As Sony isn't a developer on NMS it's impossible. So that means you can get it replaced which is a refund to your store wallet.

Top Bottom