• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wrestlemania XXX Week |OT| We are all legit shook

Are you legit shook?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
She's not as good as her husband. Let alone Heyman.

Honestly the whole angle could have been done as effectively without her.

Triple H has made what would have been the worst WM ME ever into something salvageable. Of course it being the worst ever has a lot to do with himself as well.

5UPr47l.gif

What? No way. Steph was the best person in the mic in this feud. She single handily made this believable in the beginning, before Triple H and Bryan started assaulting each other. Steph made all of this believable and Triple H came through on his part after that.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
The reason why HHH has been so good is because of Steph. They play off each other so well as an evil power couple. She gives him credibility as an authority figure. We rarely get a good evil authority couple, so it's a nice play off the tired Vince copycat authority figure.

Lol at the bold. They've done it many times before. Shit storylines from creative have existed long before Bryan and Punk were ever in WWE. That also shouldn't be news to anyone who's been wrestling as long as they have either.

Based on the matches that we've been presented, I think Trips v Bryan is gonna be match of the night...which Triple H would love. I think it would actually be best for Bryan to not win the title at Wrestlemania, but win it on the Raw after Wrestlemania since those are becoming bigger deals.

Because it worked so well for Dolph Ziggler.

I'm beginning to think people are just predicting the absolute worst outcomes and mentally manipulating themselves to think HHH winning is a good thing. They ain't about dat life.

Honestly, I always think his wrestling does the talking. You put him in with anyone and he finds a way to make em a million bucks. It's like we forgot Bret Hart existed. I can think of ten matches where Bryan can do a phenomenal job at. His match-ups are the selling point and I can't say that besides probably Punk and Michaels. But no throw your tomatoes for I am an internet smark for mentioning Punk and Bryan in the same context.

The Bret Hart comparison is actually pretty interesting - I haven't heard that until now and it makes sense in terms of relative success.
I wish Bryan would toughen up his image though, I think that's the one thing preventing me from really cheering for him. Bret always came across as a tough guy, but Bryan's image IMO is a bit too much vegan/granola/nice guy.

The Bret Hart comparison is actually pretty interesting - I haven't heard that until now and it makes sense in terms of relative success.
I wish Bryan would toughen up his image though, I think that's the one thing preventing me from really cheering for him. Bret always came across as a tough guy, but Bryan's image IMO is a bit too much vegan/granola/nice guy.

I guess they were trying to make an angle in his gimmick where he's supposed to surprise people that he's tough and is apparently met with mixed results. But man, he's absolute fire in the ring. It does the talking. This YES stuff is over because of Daniel. I'm willing to give fans the benefit of the doubt that they were looking past it.

I guess they were trying to make an angle in his gimmick where he's supposed to surprise people that he's tough and is apparently met with mixed results. But man, he's absolute fire in the ring. It does the talking. This YES stuff is over because of Daniel. I'm willing to give fans the benefit of the doubt that they were looking past it.

He's a great wrestler no doubt - but once he becomes the champ, he is no longer the underdog and needs to have a bit more depth to him than the Yes chants and jokes about his height/beard. (And yes, I did just type the last sentence knowing full well that John Cena spent the last near decade as champ as a shallow character who was somehow always the underdog)

Because it worked so well for Dolph Ziggler.

I'm beginning to think people are just predicting the absolute worst outcomes and mentally manipulating themselves to think HHH winning is a good thing. They ain't about dat life.

It actually did work for Dolph, but that concussion and his inability to connect with the audience pretty much ended his "reign."

Honestly, you originally asked for reasons why he shouldn't be champ and I thought I gave them to you. Daniel losing is not gonna be a big deal cause he will still have the audience and tv time. That's what's important; not the belt or a win. Randy Orton is the champ and he hasn't really been involved in anything. Daniel is gonna be more valuable losing than winning.

Aiii

So not worth it
Honestly, you originally asked for reasons why he shouldn't be champ and I thought I gave them to you. Daniel losing is not gonna be a big deal cause he will still have the audience and tv time. That's what's important; not the belt or a win. Randy Orton is the champ and he hasn't really been involved in anything. Daniel is gonna be more valuable losing than winning.

Do you remember how amazing it was when Stone Cold Steve Austin never had a single WWF Title run? I do, it was great, he was so over he totally didn't need the title, besides it was much better for his story against Mr. McMahon after all that he never win the title. He didn't need the title to get and stay over, so it was better to have that title on another guy like Bradshaw, who really needed that title to get over.

It actually did work for Dolph, but that concussion and his inability to connect with the audience pretty much ended his "reign."

Him losing has a shelf life and if it goes beyond, Mania then his stock will drop eventually and turn him on a dime. Again, like Ziggler he could've easily maintained the momentum after his concussion but no, he was cannon fodder and only now he's recovering. Which is an understatement.

Schedule for all the PPVs this week;

ManiaSchedule.jpg

And the line-up for Invasion Attack on Sunday;

1. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Titles: The Young Bucks (Nick & Matt Jackson) © vs Kota Ibushi & El Desperado
2. Yuji Nagata, Kazushi Sakuraba & Togi Makabe vs Suzuki-gun (Minoru Suzuki, TAKA Michinoku & Taichi)
3. NWA World Tag Titles: Rob Conway & Jax Dane © vs TenKoji (Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima)
4. Wrestling vs Jiu-Jitsu: CHAOS (Toru Yano & Takashi Iizuka) vs Daniel & Rolles Gracie
5. Loser Leaves New Japan: Ryusuke Taguchi vs Prince Devitt
6. CHAOS (Kazuchika Okada & YOSHI-HASHI) vs Bullet Club (Bad Luck Fale & Tama Tonga)
7. NEVER Openweight Title: Tomohiro Ishii © vs Tetsuya Naito
8. IWGP Heavyweight Tag Titles: Bullet Club (Karl Anderson & Doc Gallows) © vs Hirooki Goto & Katsuyori Shibata
9. IWGP Intercontinental Title: Hiroshi Tanahashi (c) vs Shinsuke Nakamura

Sblargh

Banned
Eighty Thousand Peoples Chanting Yes On The First Ever PPV Of The WWE Network.

But maybe it is better for Bryan to win the title other day.

This WM may have the worst buildup since 22 or 19. Just terrible. Hell, it's likely worse. Taker's WM buildup is just fucking lazy, and has been for years.

If I recall correctly 19 was a pretty entertaining Wrestlemania for the most part. Yea, haven't watched wrestling in a while and this is not making me want to watch again...
sadly :(
Most of those guys don't seem to have any sort of personality, even Cena seems like a cutout version of himself.

Eighty Thousand Peoples Chanting Yes On The First Ever PPV Of The WWE Network.

But maybe it is better for Bryan to win the title other day.
No shit.

It baffles me that people are that delusional to think that WWE can end Wrestlemania on anything other than Bryan winning the title, and go in the right direction.

"Oh he can win it later" they say, and then he gets buried due to writer incompetence always treating him as an underdog.

An easy fix to Bryan's image is to make him a fighting champion, as WrestleGAF already suggested in the past. Make him successfully and (most importantly) cleanly defend the title every week against anybody. Anybody. He beats Batista. Then he beats Dolph. Then he beats Rollins. Then he beats Cena. Then he beats Harper. Etc.

Don't play to his weaknesses -- mic and promos -- play to his strengths. He is a tough guy when it comes to working. He broke AJ Styles' wrist and didn't stop working it, for christ sake.

v0yce

let's. do. thiiIISSS!!!

As much as I want D Bry to get his wrestlemania moment, if I'm being honest with myself, I'm rooting for HHH walking out with the belts. Nuclear heat, which is how this mania deserves to end.

I'd love to see HHH beating Bryan and taking the title (both via some schenannigans) because of some cocktail of ego and paranoia about no one on the roster being able to properly represent the title so he has to do it himself. H's paranoia continues to build until he is eventually taken down by Bryan and Stephanie herself. Yes! Yes! Yes!

Wrestlemania is where stories, in theory, should end. D Bry has been screwed over since Summerslam, if they don't pull the trigger now, when the fuck are they gonna? Summerslam? The chase can't go on forever, there's gotta be an ending to it

Ithil

If I recall correctly 19 was a pretty entertaining Wrestlemania for the most part. Yea, haven't watched wrestling in a while and this is not making me want to watch again...
sadly :(
Most of those guys don't seem to have any sort of personality, even Cena seems like a cutout version of himself.

19 is one of the very best WMs, but the build up sucks.

Sheroking

I mean, it HAS to end with Bryan leading the Yes Chants with a title in each hand. Everybody in that damn company knows that.

I'm more worried about Wyatt/Cena.

Kaladin

ManiaSchedule.jpg

1. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Titles: The Young Bucks (Nick & Matt Jackson) © vs Kota Ibushi & El Desperado
2. Yuji Nagata, Kazushi Sakuraba & Togi Makabe vs Suzuki-gun (Minoru Suzuki, TAKA Michinoku & Taichi)
3. NWA World Tag Titles: Rob Conway & Jax Dane © vs TenKoji (Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima)
4. Wrestling vs Jiu-Jitsu: CHAOS (Toru Yano & Takashi Iizuka) vs Daniel & Rolles Gracie
6. CHAOS (Kazuchika Okada & YOSHI-HASHI) vs Bullet Club (Bad Luck Fale & Tama Tonga)
8. IWGP Heavyweight Tag Titles: Bullet Club (Karl Anderson & Doc Gallows) © vs Hirooki Goto & Katsuyori Shibata

Thanks, put the graphic in the OT. I'm not listing indie cards though as there are too many.

yuraya

giphy.gif

The card is really bad :( Why they don't do Wyatts vs shield? And why they have 30 man battle royal, wasn't Royal Rumble just like 2 months ago? New age outlaws teaming with corporate Kane?

Da fuq

oh well, hopefully the matches and the performances deliver.

Eidan

Lol at the bold. They've done it many times before. Shit storylines from creative have existed long before Bryan and Punk were ever in WWE. That also shouldn't be news to anyone who's been wrestling as long as they have either.

Based on the matches that we've been presented, I think Trips v Bryan is gonna be match of the night...which Triple H would love. I think it would actually be best for Bryan to not win the title at Wrestlemania, but win it on the Raw after Wrestlemania since those are becoming bigger deals.

This is a remarkably bad idea.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

ManiaSchedule.jpg

I actually think Bullet Club are going to drop their tag titles. What with the last event fucking Shibata, I don't think he is out of the woods just yet.

Ithil

giphy.gif

The card is really bad :( Why they don't do Wyatts vs shield? And why they have 30 man battle royal, wasn't Royal Rumble just like 2 months ago? New age outlaws teaming with corporate Kane?

Da fuq

They don't do the Wyatts vs Shield because they want to get Bray Wyatt over as a big time star, and a co-main event against John Cena is a good way to do it, and they've already done the Wyatts/Shield match.
They have the 30 man battle royal because it's WM 30 and they want to have as much of the roster on the card as they can, but they can only have so many matches, and so everyone who isn't in a match is still on the card in the battle royal. It's also a way to give the winner a solid accomplishment in the midcard .
And the New Age Outlaws are in the match with Kane because they specifically requested to work with the Shield. It will be a last hoorah for them, and they are most certainly losing to the Shield, to put over the young future stars.

Hasney

giphy.gif

Da fuq

You can't watch WWE anymore and expect them to book anything beyond the main event and second-biggest match for the next PPV. Even Wrestlemania: "Hey, these Real Americans have heat with each other, Sheamus and Christian have a story, we have an IC champion
and the gloriously Drew McIntyre
... Let's shove them all in a battle royal"

The US champ is in a tag match and the Divas match is a bigger piss break than usual. I miss the days of booking happening all over the card so people have a reason to wrestle. The main events look mostly good at least so it should offset some of that.

Juicy Bob

Every year I click the WM thread to look at the card, hoping that it's going to look exciting and match the sheer impact of the older Wrestlemanias, and every year I'm disappointed.

Still, I hope it's a good one. WrassleGAF deserves a memorable WM.

Hasney

Every year I click the WM thread to look at the card, hoping that it's going to look exciting and match the sheer impact of the older Wrestlemanias, and every year I'm disappointed.

On paper, I think it should be better than the last two at least.

Ithil

Let's be a little honest. How many great WMs are there? From 1-29, there are far more bad-to-ok ones then there are great ones. In the last 15 years (half the WMs) alone, I can only think of 17, 19 and 24 as great ones.

Kaladin

We at least have a hope with Daniel Bryan, and Triple H is the amazing ultimate Power Trip Authority Figure for the Reality Era Austin / McMahon angle.

Ithil

Was a bit funny that they said Fandangoing was a big thing, and then the crowd forgot about Fandango. They forgot to mentioned the part where they turned Fandango into a jobber, leading to people losing interest.

RK9039

Yesterday's Raw was so funny omg. The way Triple H sold that beating from Bryan was amazing. One could say he buried himself.

That's how good he is.

bigkrev

I genuinely want reasons why Bryan shouldn't leave NOLA without the strap. Call me defensive but I'm getting legit heated by the opposition brehs. I can't handle this reasoning, after quality match after quality match this man has given us. I simply don't understand this at all!

Because while Daniel Bryan should beat HHH, they have done too good of a job of building Orton-HHH-Batista for them to not do that match at some point

yuraya

They don't do the Wyatts vs Shield because they want to get Bray Wyatt over as a big time star, and a co-main event against John Cena is a good way to do it, and they've already done the Wyatts/Shield match.
They have the 30 man battle royal because it's WM 30 and they want to have as much of the roster on the card as they can, but they can only have so many matches, and so everyone who isn't in a match is still on the card in the battle royal. It's also a way to give the winner a solid accomplishment in the midcard .
And the New Age Outlaws are in the match with Kane because they specifically requested to work with the Shield. It will be a last hoorah for them, and they are most certainly losing to the Shield, to put over the young future stars.

I'm all in favor of putting young stars over but they should think of better ways of doing it other than just some random feuds. The only long term feud on the card seems to be HHH vs Bryan. Which ironically seems to be the best match even though HHH hasn't had a match in almost a year lol. Shield vs Wyatt match was really good from elimination chamber. That feud would go on for years if it was up to me :) and Taker needs to retire or lose so this streak stuff can come to an end already. He looks too old and terrible just looking at him throwing a punch. I would much rather see Lesnar in main event instead of Batista. I guess I just miss the old days when they had ladder matches and more title defenses at mania. This whole card just seems to be spur of the moment planning and very meaningless. Hopefully it works out.

Aiii

So not worth it
Is Sting really coming back?

He was never in WWE, so at best he's coming in, not coming back.

But yeah, supposedly he's coming in for a single match against Taker next year and is then retiring. He might be at the next Raw, he might not be in WWE until next year. No way to tell really.

Sephzilla

Bryan's going over HHH and probably winning the strap at WM.

The real burial is coming from the Cena/Bray match, Bray's going to probably get Wade Barrett level buried by Cena. C'mon, Cena at this point is literally facing fear itself which is the ultimate odd to overcome.

Ithil

I'm all in favor of putting young stars over but they should think of better ways of doing it other than just some random feuds. The only long term feud on the card seems to be HHH vs Bryan. Which ironically seems to be the best match even though HHH hasn't had a match in almost a year lol. Shield vs Wyatt match was really good from elimination chamber. That feud would go on for years if it was up to me :) and Taker needs to retire or lose so this streak stuff can come to an end already. He looks too old and terrible just looking at him throwing a punch. I would much rather see Lesnar in main event instead of Batista. I guess I just miss the old days when they had ladder matches and more title defenses at mania. This whole card just seems to be spur of the moment planning and very meaningless. Hopefully it works out.

The Streak match is a huge draw now, it's always one of WM's biggest matches, and Undertaker is one of their most important stars. And old or not, Undertaker has had the best match at WM 25, 26, 27, 28 and 29. That's not something you want to give up until Undertaker feels he can no longer perform, physically.

And WM has almost always had nonexistent builds for its undercard. Right up until the late 90s, only a few matches were in any way booked to be important. Even then, at its height only a couple of WMs ever, have had all its matches built up. So this is par for the course.

Shadybiz

It will be interesting to see how the WWE Network holds up under the traffic load. This is the big test.

Yeah I'm curious about this myself. I've gotta be honest, I have my doubts.

That aside, yeah it's not such a great card, but I think it's still going to be a very entertaining 4 hours. Excited!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom