• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox’s President on Handheld Consoles and Subscription Gaming

XXL

A relative outsider, Sarah Bond is leading a high-stakes transformation of a company that’s lagging behind Sony and Nintendo.
At first, Bond’s and Spencer’s personal styles clashed, and the two sought out Microsoft human resources chief Kathleen Hogan for coaching, an unusual step that Hogan found admirable. Bond recalls Spencer and others at Microsoft telling her that her tendency to “push the envelope” and “not let something go” was new to them. She says she found that Spencer’s communication style sometimes left her unsure of what he actually wanted from her. At one point, she stuck a Post-It note to her computer with some advice about interacting with him. “I’m not being paid to do what he says,” it read. “I’m being paid to do what he meant.”

As Xbox moves away from its sole focus on console gaming, it finds itself more at odds with a particular vocal segment of its customer base. Earlier this year, Xbox announced it would make versions of games previously exclusive to Xboxes available on Nintendo Switch or PlayStation. The move shouldn’t have mattered to Xbox’s own customers, whose enjoyment of Sea of Thieves theoretically has little to do with whether someone can also play it on another device. But many gamers seem to think buying a console is taking a side, not least those Xbox gamers who’ve stayed loyal despite its third-place position. One Xbox blogger referred to the move away from exclusivity as a “breach of trust and credibility.” To Jez Corden, a Microsoft blogger for Windows Central, it felt like a slap in the face. “Sony and Nintendo wouldn’t do that,” he wrote.

At some point soon, Bond will also have to make decisions about the thing that got Microsoft into gaming in the first place. In January, rumors circulated among Xbox gamers that there would never be a new version of the console.

There’s reason to question whether Microsoft would want to build another Xbox. Console makers cannot count on profiting from hardware sales alone—Spencer said in 2022 that Microsoft loses between $100 and $200 per sale. The company has also cut back on its ambitions to build other hardware such as its Hololens headsets and mobile devices.

Yet Bond has said there will be a new Xbox, and that the next generation of the console will feature “the largest technical leap you will have ever seen.” And then there’s the flirtation with the idea of launching a handheld gaming device. The company has made no commitment about this, though Spencer says he tasked Bond with building a “more diverse” hardware future for Microsoft. He has taken every opportunity to say he loves portable gaming devices and says the company would just have to come up with something different from what’s already on the market.

Diving into the multiyear project of building a new console could seem like Microsoft backsliding into the model it hired Bond to break out of, even before it’s figured out how to make money from its new hybrid business of subscriptions and smartphone gaming. But she talks about a handheld device as another way to insert an Xbox-specific experience into the lives of future gamers whose habits have yet to be formed. For Xbox to succeed, she says, it has to meet gamers wherever they are. “I want people to think no matter who you are, you can come to Xbox and find a game,” she says. “It’s for you.” —With Jason Schreier

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Slay Queen we see you!

Dance Win GIF by SWR3

Kacho

Article is a puff piece at best.
I scrolled through and yeah, pretty obvious puff piece for Mrs Bond.

That said, it's clear Microsoft want their 'potential' handheld in the conversation. If they plan to launch anything in 2026, next year is when they should start revealing their hand.

Jaybe

Wonder the rationale behind this? She’s either pushing for Phil’s job or getting ready to jump ship.

MayauMiao

I scrolled through and yeah, pretty obvious puff piece for Mrs Bond.

That said, it's clear Microsoft want their 'potential' handheld in the conversation. If they plan to launch anything in 2026, next year is when they should start revealing their hand.

I just see Microsoft attempt at handheld will be another disaster in the making. Couldn't save their console, and did terrible job with Windows Phone.

Zacfoldor

I hate subscription services and I especially hate gaming subscription services.

I buy my games to support the developers. In a subscription service you just pay for all the games(even the ones that are against your values) and trust the company to sort it out. "From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs." I'm afraid the red wind of communism uncomfortably blows thru these subscription services(this is not political, it's about a damn subscription service, so if you are a RL communist, I apologize).

My games are rewarded on merit. My rising tide does not lift all boats. That's why I can vote with my wallet but a subscriber can't. They have thrown away their vote on the ostensible promise of cheaper games and by their removal, the power of my own vote only grows stronger. Even though I hate subscription services, they feed my power. The more people subscribe, the stronger my dollar becomes. It's to the point that just about any game I buy on day 1 is getting a sequel, because I'm also a microcosm for my fellow non-sub bros.

I think the winds of the zeitgeist, they are a changing, and more and more people will rejoin me as a non-sub bro in the future.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
So she said they will do everything but didn't say anything about making better games.

Kacho

So what does she say about handhelds and sub gaming? I’m like eight pages into this puff piece and I don’t see it.
I did a ctrl + F to find the relevant bits. It’s just reiterating what they’ve said 100 times before about being able to play Xbox games no matter where you are. It’s a big fat nothing

Kacho

This interview honestly sounds like they're prepping people for them not making consoles anymore.
Can you quote the parts that suggested that? It's pretty clear their time in the hardware space is nearing the end, but the messaging this year has been so confusing it's impossible to tell what the fuck is going on.

Phil Spencer has gone completely silent on X. All he does is retweet things now. No more "had a meeting with xyz today. very excited about the future." to drum up excitement for the brand. He's totally checked out.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
This interview honestly sounds like they're prepping people for them not making consoles anymore.

Also, Sarah Bond and Phil Spencer don't seem to have a great working relationship.

Yet Bond has said there will be a new Xbox, and that the next generation of the console will feature “the largest technical leap you will have ever seen.”
Nah this sounds more like they are prepping people for the biggest price increase we have ever seen.

nowhat

Step 1 - prep the market and inject handheld into the conversation
I mean, Microsoft has a stellar record when it comes to handhelds. Who could forget Windows Phone?

...or rather, remember it. But hey, there's also the portable music player market. What other company would have called transferring songs wirelessly between Zunes "squirting"? Not that many. But Microsoft's got this.

Bry0

I mean, Microsoft has a stellar record when it comes to handhelds. Who could forget Windows Phone?

...or rather, remember it. But hey, there's also the portable music player market. What other company would have called transferring songs wirelessly between Zunes "squirting"? Not that many. But Microsoft's got this.
No they don’t, it’s gonna bomb and they will ruin everything actiblizz even more within a decade. No need for sarcasm 😂

XXL

Nah this sounds more like they are prepping people for the biggest price increase we have ever seen.
That's a quote from what she said at the business event. I'm talking about how the author frames the context more than anything.

Like this
There’s reason to question whether Microsoft would want to build another Xbox. Console makers cannot count on profiting from hardware sales alone—Spencer said in 2022 that Microsoft loses between $100 and $200 per sale. The company has also cut back on its ambitions to build other hardware such as its Hololens headsets and mobile devices.

HogIsland

I'm starting to think Microsoft won't/can't do the Windows improvements necessary for a quality PC handheld experience. They might actually do an Xbox handheld which would be a total waste of time.

XXL

Can you quote the parts that suggested that? It's pretty clear their time in the hardware space is nearing the end, but the messaging this year has been so confusing it's impossible to tell what the fuck is going on.

Phil Spencer has gone completely silent on X. All he does is retweet things now. No more "had a meeting with xyz today. very excited about the future." to drum up excitement for the brand. He's totally checked out.

More than what she said herself its more how the interviewer framed it before talking about it.

Top Bottom