• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One S Thread: The S is for Sexy

So will the console automatically detect my HDR 4KTV when I hook it up or do I have to play with some settings? I'm getting the KS8000 in the next two weeks so just curious of the system's set up.

I have that TV and an S. Make sure you enable HDMI UHD Color for the correct HDMI input in the TV's picture settings. From there, once you play HDR content, the TV will automatically detect it.

You can also go into the One S's video output settings and there's a checklist for what types of content you're able to display. It should detect the KS8000 and show you're clear for all 1080p and 4K content, including HDR.

Enjoy the TV! Forza Horizon 3 is jaw-dropping in HDR.

My white XB1 S came a couple of hours ago. I prefer the look of the storm grey but £230ish for the console, 2 games and a 3 month Now TV sub (not sure if I'll even use that though lol) seemed too good to pass up. The controller feels a bit weird, probably because it's been years since I've used the Xbox style one. The store is ridiculously unresponsive, is this usual? I'll stick to the web store.

Purdy

Yeah I just have the clicky noise from the hard drive, my fan is pretty much silent though or at least comparable to the OG. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRMjFbINUcc

See that sounds a lot like my Xbox One S White 2TB, occasional click, my one is constant, shall record and upload.

Do you sit close to your console? Like on a computer desk, beside your monitor close? Do you have an PS4/previous Xbox One to compare it too?

Yeah I do, however from 5m away I can still hear it. I have another Xbox One S to compare it to with occasional clicking like the video linked above, but this is constant and grating.

Horrendous compared to OG Xbone. Its probably not as loud as the PS4, but a dull drone is better than the ticking I think.

Chorazin

So will the console automatically detect my HDR 4KTV when I hook it up or do I have to play with some settings? I'm getting the KS8000 in the next two weeks so just curious of the system's set up.

Mine popped up saying it detected a 4K TV, and asked if I wanted to go to settings to adjust anything. I have an LG but I'm sure it'll be the same.

im_dany

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOP6KasX9TM

Noise I'm experiencing on this and one I returned.

It's the same as mine, but more annoying judging by this video. My previous one didn't do that but I had to return it because it wouldn't stay in instant-on. If this one starts getting worse I'll look for a replacement, but I don't even know how that would work. Would Gamestop just give me another bundle with the white one? Or any color? Or would I have to send it to MS?

Replacing my OG with an S today and I have a setup question. All my stuff is on external drives so no problems there.

I gameshare with a friend so my account is his home Xbox and his mine. Is there any particular order to do things? Should I wipe / reset my existing console first, then setup the new one or you can do that after and just set the new one as his home Xbox first?

JeffG

Replacing my OG with an S today and I have a setup question. All my stuff is on external drives so no problems there.

I gameshare with a friend so my account is his home Xbox and his mine. Is there any particular order to do things? Should I wipe / reset my existing console first, then setup the new one or you can do that after and just set the new one as his home Xbox first?
Wipe your existing console before you get rid of it. When you setup the new one, have your friend login in and set the S as his home xbox.

Doesn't matter what order its done

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I'm sure its been answered, but does the Xbox one S HDMI pass-through support 4k? eg if I upgrade my DVR to 4k (sky Q or Virgin Tivo v6) will it work or will I have to go direct to the TV?

I haven't tried this, but Polygon's review said it doesn't pass 4k. And I'd honestly be surprised if it did.

Actually I'm 95% sure it doesn't as my TiVo Bolt won't detect 4k when connected to it.

leng jai

See that sounds a lot like my Xbox One S White 2TB, occasional click, my one is constant, shall record and upload.

Yeah I do, however from 5m away I can still hear it. I have another Xbox One S to compare it to with occasional clicking like the video linked above, but this is constant and grating.

Horrendous compared to OG Xbone. Its probably not as loud as the PS4, but a dull drone is better than the ticking I think.

It must be ridiculously loud to be heard from 5 metres away.

pieface

I have the KS8000, this console looks so fucking sweet on it. Love it so much.

MrBS

Having paid no attention to the details of the Kinect adapter for the S when I got my free* adapter today I thought MS had sent me a kinect by mistake going by the size and weight of the box. Needing a power brick and another outlet is dissapointing to say the least.

dedhead54

After looking at my S for the last week I can safely say that it is one of my favorite consoles of all time aesthetically. I loved the OG XB1 (white) and had it towards the top of my list but this definitely is better looking. I also watched my first 4K Blu-Ray on it last night (Fury Road) on my KS8000 and holy shit. God tier movie experience.

I do wish the controller had the same grip material as the Lunar White/Forza 6 controllers.

Could anyone record their xbox one s up close running who has one they're happy with?

Feel like I might be wasting time returning due to this god damn fan noise

I'm in exactly the boat. The build quality of these fucking machines is absolutely abysmal. This fan problem with the XB1 S consoles feels like this generations 'RROD' issue, I'm going ring up and get my second one replaced tomorrow, I'm not fucking having one that's doing a constant ticking noise if there are machines in the wild that are silent. Worse comes to worse I'll fucking refund the piece of shit and get an OG one until Scorpio, unless I get totally fed up and go 100% Sony with the Pro.

New002

Lighting in my apartment sucks. Apologies in advance. I really like the finish on this.

30633761081_15c3d92136_c.jpg

30721810345_b5de16279b_c.jpg

Could anyone record their xbox one s up close running who has one they're happy with?

Feel like I might be wasting time returning due to this god damn fan noise

I returned mine. Had it for an hour and the fan was clicking, whirring and causing a squeak noise. Couldnt live with that shit. My new S is louder than the stock XB1 I had since shortly after launch but it's MUCH quieter than the the first unit I bought. No whirring and I can't hear it when I'm playing a game or watching a movie.

Rickeh

Long time lurker and I don't post very often but i've had shit luck with both the Xbox One Phat and now the Xbox One S. Originally had an Xbox One White Sunset Overdrive bundle which i think developed the noise over time. Traded up to a 1TB Fallout 4 black Xbox One bundle, same noise. Then went back to the store and finally got a silent Xbox One.

After doing much research it turns out that the fan bearings are causing this noise and a few drops of oil (e.g. the stuff used on sewing machines) can cure it, however it will mean getting the damn thing open which will affect your warranty/trading it in (if the store you do this at checks that sort of thing).

Ok so speed up to last week and I go and buy an Xbox one S White with BF1 bundled, get it home power it up and lo and behold the same clicking noise that my OG white Xbox One had :(

Contacted MS Support and they shipped out a new one on Monday, fired her up and she was fine :) It did mean getting a certified refurb from MS but I couldn't waste my time going back and fourth between the shop to finally end up with one which was fine. This guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvVP7shD2Ek Swapped his white one S like 4 times before he got one that sounded like it should.

Now I could have done the same thing but what really put me off going back and fourth between the shop and home was his next video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_NsL3In3SA

His now perfectly quiet Xbox one s which he had swapped 4 times now has a disc drive fault. Really glad i went straight to MS to get a replacement :O

Long time lurker and I don't post very often but i've had shit luck with both the Xbox One Phat and now the Xbox One S. Originally had an Xbox One White Sunset Overdrive bundle which i think developed the noise over time. Traded up to a 1TB Fallout 4 black Xbox One bundle, same noise. Then went back to the store and finally got a silent Xbox One.

After doing much research it turns out that the fan bearings are causing this noise and a few drops of oil (e.g. the stuff used on sewing machines) can cure it, however it will mean getting the damn thing open which will affect your warranty/trading it in (if the store you do this at checks that sort of thing).

Ok so speed up to last week and I go and buy an Xbox one S White with BF1 bundled, get it home power it up and lo and behold the same clicking noise that my OG white Xbox One had :(

Contacted MS Support and they shipped out a new one on Monday, fired her up and she was fine :) It did mean getting a certified refurb from MS but I couldn't waste my time going back and fourth between the shop to finally end up with one which was fine. This guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvVP7shD2Ek Swapped his white one S like 4 times before he got one that sounded like it should.

Now I could have done the same thing but what really put me off going back and fourth between the shop and home was his next video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_NsL3In3SA

His now perfectly quiet Xbox one s which he had swapped 4 times now has a disc drive fault. Really glad i went straight to MS to get a replacement :O

Wow. As I've said previously I feel this really is becoming a bit of a big deal now. HOT UK Deals was full of people swapping machines and complaining about this noise, reminds me of the RROD ordeal although admittedly it's not quite so important due to it not stopping the console working.... I had such trouble swapping my original XB1 S and to my horror, the swapped one has the same issue. I was told I'd have to contact MS to get a REF number yet again before I can even arrange another replacement from the seller. What a joke. I'm not doing the 'MS certified' thing because I feel I bought a BRAND NEW console, if I wanted a 2nd hand one I'd buy one (for a cheaper price..)

Does the Xbox One S sends Full RGB signal only when playing a bluray movie?

I have the KS8000 TV and I can only change the HDMI black levels while playing a bluray movie. It's grayed out during games.

It works fine on PS4 though.

New002

Grey looks really nice there. Thanks for pictures.

NP. Unfortunately it's gone one of those noisy fans that are so common, so I'm gonna try my luck and see if I can exchange it at the MS store this week :)

Honestly I'm used to it since my OG was a noisy one and I didn't bother replacing it, but I'd like to try and get a less grindy one this go around.

MaulerX

It's pretty cool that the Xbox One S is getting support for BD-R and BD-RE re-writable Blu-ray discs. Surely that'll make a few people happy.

New002

is this noisy fan thing pretty common? It's mentioned a lot in here

Obviously I have no data back this up, but my impression is that a silent console seems to be the exception, but apparently MS is aware and appears to be exchanging these with no hassle. If that's the case I'm not sure why they don't Just address it in production. It was an issue with the OG and it seems to be just as much of one with the S models? Anyways, I figure it couldn't hurt to try and exchange it and see if the replacement is any better. Would be nice :)

etta

my hard graphic balls
Obviously I have no data back this up, but my impression is that a silent console seems to be the exception, but apparently MS is aware and appears to be exchanging these with no hassle. If that's the case I'm not sure why they don't Just address it in production. It was an issue with the OG and it seems to be just as much of one with the S models? Anyways, I figure it couldn't hurt to try and exchange it and see if the replacement is any better. Would be nice :)
Is this the ticking sound issue? My fan ticks too but it's only audible within reaching distance. It fades when I'm farther out, and thus is a non-issue for me.

icespide

Banned
blegh. I've been going back and forth on if I want to switch my OG to a space gray model but I really don't want to do deal with noise defects and crap

ElNino

I'm surprised to read the noise complaints in here. Mine is almost dead silent from more than a few feet away, certainly quieter than my Day One model when factoring in the power brick.

Common enough for me to be ringing my point of sale tomorrow to arrange a 3rd XB1 S. I'm literally going to keep exchanging it until I get a silent one - They do exist as has been pointed out here. I'm not settling for one with constant rattling/ticking, it's absolutely noticable whether I have the machine under my desk or in the lounge on the main TV. I can hear it over the TV easily, if people here think it's managable and a non issue, then frankly your machine simply doesn't have this problem because you'd know straight away if it did.

It's not the general whooshing fan noise (that's understandable and have no problem with it), it's an additional sound which I can only describe as rattling,ticking,buzzing,grinding all at once.. It's doing my head in.

So I saw the Xbox now supports BD-R and BD-RE disks. Anyone know what kind of files you can read off of them? I need to dust off (and put together) my PC after moving..

ElNino

Common enough for me to be ringing my point of sale tomorrow to arrange a 3rd XB1 S. I'm literally going to keep exchanging it until I get a silent one - They do exist as has been pointed out here. I'm not settling for one with constant rattling/ticking, it's absolutely noticable whether I have the machine under my desk or in the lounge on the main TV. I can hear it over the TV easily, if people here think it's managable and a non issue, then frankly your machine simply doesn't have this problem because you'd know straight away if it did.

It's not the general whooshing fan noise (that's understandable and have no problem with it), it's an additional sound which I can only describe as rattling,ticking,buzzing,grinding all at once.. It's doing my head in.
That would annoy me as well. I'd say keep trying till you get one, because they definitely exist. I can barely hear mine when there is nothing else on in the room, but I can't hear anything over the sound of my speakers.

My Day One console was annoying as the power brick often generated enough noise on it's own when in stand by to bother me, but it's in the basement now for the kids so I don't have to deal with it anymore. The PS4 is noticeably louder than my Xbox One S, particularly when I can hear it over the speakers.

New002

Is this the ticking sound issue? My fan ticks too but it's only audible within reaching distance. It fades when I'm farther out, and thus is a non-issue for me.

Sounds like this guy's:

https://youtu.be/TBMWRqHnUvQ

His replacement:

https://youtu.be/dD_A1VYNYj4

Like I said, I'm pretty used to it since my Xbox one was noisy and had a noisy power brick, but no harm in seeing if an exchange will get me a silent one. I'd certainly prefer it :)

Rickeh

Wow. As I've said previously I feel this really is becoming a bit of a big deal now. HOT UK Deals was full of people swapping machines and complaining about this noise, reminds me of the RROD ordeal although admittedly it's not quite so important due to it not stopping the console working.... I had such trouble swapping my original XB1 S and to my horror, the swapped one has the same issue. I was told I'd have to contact MS to get a REF number yet again before I can even arrange another replacement from the seller. What a joke. I'm not doing the 'MS certified' thing because I feel I bought a BRAND NEW console, if I wanted a 2nd hand one I'd buy one (for a cheaper price..)

My replacement has started the clicking noise :( asking MS for a grey or deep blue as I am fed up :( It was strange as when I first fired her up it was perfect. After a few hours of use the fan started that annoying noise again.

Its not super loud but its too much of an annoyance when you are sitting a few feet away trying to watch quiet scenes from a movie.

So I may end up with a blue 500gb s console and White controller (MS only send out the console and want the original one back minus any accessories).

Has anyone heard any reports of this issue from the Deep Blue or Storm Grey consoles?

icespide

Banned
My replacement has started the clicking noise :( asking MS for a grey or deep blue as I am fed up :( It was strange as when I first fired her up it was perfect. After a few hours of use the fan started that annoying noise again.

Its not super loud but its too much of an annoyance when you are sitting a few feet away trying to watch quiet scenes from a movie.

So I may end up with a blue 500gb s console and White controller (MS only send out the console and want the original one back minus any accessories).

Has anyone heard any reports of this issue from the Deep Blue or Storm Grey consoles?
the poster above has a gray model with the issue

HOT UK Deals was full of people swapping machines and complaining about this noise.

Yip, I was one of them (3 swaps) people were so fed up of it but most guys over there persevered and ended up with a 'good' one.

MS must have noticed how many One S returns they have been getting from retailers and online stores, let's hope the fans are redesigned and fullproof for the Scorpio launch, I can't be going through what I went through with the One S again.

P.S. That poor guy in the YouTube video above getting a quiet one - only for the disc drive to fail ! Horrendous luck.

Top Bottom