• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox |OT| Power Your Dreams

oldergamer

From XboxEra.

Possibly true, possibly not, but a really cool idea either way.

That would be interesting, themed off other IP? I wonder if something gets popular this way, that they or another studio would make a sequel?

This is pretty experimental, but would be interesting to see different or new takes on old franchises.

DrDamn

From XboxEra.

I like the sound of that. Would like to know what the next theme was to try and get some perspective on how it would work, but yeah would be interesting which ever way I imagine it. Quite a novel way of keeping a series fresh too.

From XboxEra.

Remember when they tried to use Project Spark to bring back Conker? This kinda feels like a similar idea, but more in line with Rare Replay or the "let's just keep adding content" approach they're using with Halo. Also, Chris Seavor's cancelled Perfect Dark was episodic, Deus Ex-inspired, and he planned to release new episodes every year or less over the 360's lifestyle. MS cancelled that to make more Halo and Gears because we definitely needed ONLY THOSE UNTIL THE END OF TIME.

I just don't know how they're going to frame these different IPs that Microsoft happens to own under a central umbrella. Because Perfect Dark is essentially the greatest game ever made, I would like to see something that carries on its spirit. I want to hear those iconic banging tunes in a new game, and I will be sorely disappointed if they completely miss the point of PD in terms of tone, music, cyberpunk aesthetics, etc.

A worry I have is how they intend to combine kid-friendly MS IPs with the more mature ones.

This post from /v/ from a week ago seems relevant. But all the talk of volumes and episodes within larger seasons is confusing, and there's been mixed messages from relatively trustworthy sources on whether this game is seasonal, episodic, or both. Delivering a 20 hour long campaign every single year utilizing a different MS IP is a tall order. Call of Duty struggles to deliver a 7 hour long campaign every year with rotating studios, a three year dev cycle and hundreds of crunching developers.
perfectdark6njsk.png

Last edited:

ROMhack

The more I think about it, the more I believe Perfect Dark is a perfect IP for Microsoft to use as one of their flagships.

- Female protag (shh)
- Action
- Sci-fi
- Cool
- Nostalgia
- Sexy
- Tits

They're sitting on a goldmine. If only they'd realise...

Last edited:
I'm just imagining TImeSplitters, though. Look, I'm a Russian female soldier. Jump through time to a random period in history. Look, I'm a hippie spy. Look, I'm a robot. Look, CAT RACING. *stuffed cats race around a track making mrawwwing engine noises*

That's the vibe I imagine. Maybe where you would play not as a character from the "universe" but as an outsider that was pulled into it, then you escape that only to be pulled to a different dimension. 🤷‍♂️

silentstorm

That would be cool, and they could bring back franchises to see if there is any interest in them, like a new campaign in Blinx's world, or in Kameo's, or another in the Killer Instinct world.

Of course Halo and Gears would appear too, maybe Viva Pinata, but it seems like a great way to remind gamers of franchises and games they made and raise some interest, wonder if there will be something with Forza where you get to drive around or talk to drivers.

Of course, MS needs to do something with them, i hate to say it, but it's true that Xbox has less exclusives and big franchises compared to Sony and Nintendo, they tried some, they didn't work and quickly gave up like with Blinx, they had some bumps like Nuts and Bolts with Banjo and gave up, or just don't really use what they have like with Killer Instinct.

They also lost some like Ninja Gaiden which when it was ported to PS3 was a big shock, and then gave up on Scalebound for...apparently having way too much hype behind it, whatever, their consoles are perfectly fine, but with hardcore gamers, you can't escape going to other threads and seeing people bring up exclusives and launch titles all the damn time, thankfully MS is investing in studios and feels like they are preparing the road for the middle and end of this generation, and maybe the next one if consoles really don't die, but they would be well served trying to talk to more developers to make games for it and use what they own.

Rare gave them quite a few nostalgic titles that Nintendo gamers absolutely love...which is why we only got like one Banjo game which was very different and one Perfect Dark game...yay i guess?

splattered

I've said similar in the past that maybe the meaning behind the studio's name is that they "take the initiative" to reboot older franchises on a smaller scale to raise interest and then pass it off to other studios if the products prove to sell well or gain a lot of positive traction. As long as these smaller experiences are of a high meaty quality i think it could be a really cool idea and purpose for the studio.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

From XboxEra.

Sounds like such a weird approach but at the same time the whole AAAA studio didnt make sense. As weird as this sounds that leads some weight towards the AAAA as its more than one franchise.

Its a neat way to try and get your IP that probably wont work as a $60 project, or $70, some time in the sun but also keeps in on your platforms as you own the IP and the risk is lower. But also, how do you sell this as a boxed product? Do you even sell it as a boxed product?

IMO Halo Infinite will only be on XBO/XBX via xCloud. It will be their first massive implementation of xCloud and considering they are rolling it out across mobile etc the infrastructure is already there.

It will run native/offline on the new consoles but only streaming on the old ones. If you care about supporting MP content cross gen you are assuming that everyone who cares about that is online as its the only way they will play MP. If they are online to play MP, they can stream the game. Your only concern is around SP only XBO players which I don't think MS is worried about as infinite is meant to be a long tail game.

I believe MS will be debuting a new dash for XBO which includes an xCloud section. This will allow you to play old and new games via streaming. The XBO will be converted to a streaming box for next gen games. MS doesn't cut off their old base (people can pay for GP or buy the games to stream) while at the same time having flexibility going forward. There is no reason to do it via mobile and not the console.

I'm going to put the above at around 90% the plan.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
IMO Halo Infinite will only be on XBO/XBX via xCloud. It will be their first massive implementation of xCloud and considering they are rolling it out across mobile etc the infrastructure is already there.

It will run native/offline on the new consoles but only streaming on the old ones. If you care about supporting MP content cross gen you are assuming that everyone who cares about that is online as its the only way they will play MP. If they are online to play MP, they can stream the game. Your only concern is around SP only XBO players which I don't think MS is worried about as infinite is meant to be a long tail game.

I believe MS will be debuting a new dash for XBO which includes an xCloud section. This will allow you to play old and new games via streaming. The XBO will be converted to a streaming box for next gen games. MS doesn't cut off their old base (people can pay for GP or buy the games to stream) while at the same time having flexibility going forward. There is no reason to do it via mobile and not the console.

I'm going to put the above at around 90% the plan.

Ill take an avatar bet that the Xbox One version will not be running on the cloud.

Sounds like such a weird approach but at the same time the whole AAAA studio didnt make sense. As weird as this sounds that leads some weight towards the AAAA as its more than one franchise.

Its a neat way to try and get your IP that probably wont work as a $60 project, or $70, some time in the sun but also keeps in on your platforms as you own the IP and the risk is lower. But also, how do you sell this as a boxed product? Do you even sell it as a boxed product?

It sounds almost too perfect for Game Pass, to be honest. I'd be surprised if physical media was part of the plan.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Probably digital only and maybe a compilation after some seasons/episodes have passed?

Side question, is there a reason you dont hit the reply to people?

I think that would make sense but then it doesnt sound like each episode would be $60. I feel ike if they are aiming for 15-20 hours thats a full priced project.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
It sounds almost too perfect for Game Pass, to be honest. I'd be surprised if physical media was part of the plan.

If its 15-20 hours I feel like thats aiming at a full priced title. You cant dump that much time and money into a game and only sell it digitally, at least imo.

Ill take an avatar bet that the Xbox One version will not be running on the cloud.

It will be a live service game which is looking for long tail revenue. You want to drive people to GP and your streaming service.

Looking at the long game, you only support the old consoles natively for a very narrow group (XBO, single player only). That is not your long term revenue driver nor has it ever been the main focus of infinite.

Rather than an avy bet, how about a bet of whatever the thing is below the avy.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
It will be a live service game which is looking for long tail revenue. You want to drive people to GP and your streaming service.

Looking at the long game, you only support the old consoles natively for a very narrow group (XBO, single player only). That is not your long term revenue driver nor has it ever been the main focus of infinite.

I fully agree with you that this game shouldn't be on Xbox One if they are truly making this THE Halo game for the next 10 years or whatever they said, but I do not see them killing the Xbox One version by now and Fall 2021.

You dont have direct access to the Avatar Headline. Cant really bet on it.

Shouldn’t great content , delivered year on year drive people to a service? Quality and momentum to keep people engaged, excited and enthusiastic about what’s next to release.

I can’t say I’m exactly enamoured if the games are being designed specifically to the subscription. Apologies if I misinterpreted your post. That’s just how I feel about it all.

Last edited:
Shouldn’t great content , delivered year on year drive people to a service? Quality and momentum to keep people engaged, excited and enthusiastic about what’s next to release.

I can’t say I’m exactly enamoured if the games are being designed specifically to the subscription. Apologies if I misinterpreted your post. That’s just how I feel about it all.

If you buy the game you will get all that.

My point is a live service game doesn’t necessarily need to be offline which removes the need for a native on old gen.

silentstorm

If its 15-20 hours I feel like thats aiming at a full priced title. You cant dump that much time and money into a game and only sell it digitally, at least imo.
I am assuming it won't be released all at once, a season is more than one month and it could all be episodic campaigns with the developers having maybe part of the team working on upcoming seasons, but i am also assuming these will be linear campaigns that maybe won't actually get AAA budgets, and won't all be up to 20 hours, it would just be too much work and money.

Kinda figuring it will be episodic small campaigns that will get to Game Pass and see if it raises any interest for dead franchises and also maybe give something to fans of big franchises, one Halo or Gears season at least, but those are so popular already that it feels more worth investing in now dead franchises.

Also, i wonder if it can be done for anything from Xbox Game Studios and their past, Commander Keen campaign could be an actual thing in the future...probably not.

Seems the S is filling the spot that I (and most sensible people) thought it would, and is not DOA as GAF kept yelling at us.
Ironically they said similar about the Switch. Don’t believe GAF ‘predictions’ 😂

I agree, so far it is doing okay for its place in the lineup, though they should market 1080p over 1440p (seems to rarely hit that target). Speaking specifically of 2077, the XSS will probably see some benefit from the next-gen patch also.

quest

Not Banned from OT
At first I was thinking WTF? But having thought a bit, it sounds essentially like a Ready Player One type game. Could be interesting!
I think this is Insiders being full of shit or miss interpreting things. You can't just make a new game per season lol starting with a 3rd person shooter then a what platformer gtfo. Episode yes to get the game out sooner. Different game per season gtfo they would be the greatest team of all time to do a different game of a new genera bi yearly.

I agree, so far it is doing okay for its place in the lineup, though they should market 1080p over 1440p (seems to rarely hit that target). Speaking specifically of 2077, the XSS will probably see some benefit from the next-gen patch also.

People also forget how poorly the current generation consoles are priced. The S is a steal compared to the current generation systems that are the same msrp at least the ps4. The S should be quick to be able to drop in manufacturing costs and I could easily see it being 199.99 next black Friday with halo infinite launch.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I am assuming it won't be released all at once, a season is more than one month and it could all be episodic campaigns with the developers having maybe part of the team working on upcoming seasons, but i am also assuming these will be linear campaigns that maybe won't actually get AAA budgets, and won't all be up to 20 hours, it would just be too much work and money.

Kinda figuring it will be episodic small campaigns that will get to Game Pass and see if it raises any interest for dead franchises and also maybe give something to fans of big franchises, one Halo or Gears season at least, but those are so popular already that it feels more worth investing in now dead franchises.

Also, i wonder if it can be done for anything from Xbox Game Studios and their past, Commander Keen campaign could be an actual thing in the future...probably not.

I suppose episodes could differ quite a bit in terms of length and dev time. Thats even if the 15-20 hour runtime was true.

Micrsooft clearly is ok with charging less for games like Battletoads and Ori which are shorter, linear experiences. I could see them charging $40 for a 10 hour campaign and still boxing that product.

Its obvious its aimed at GP but I still dont think they are ready to not put their major products only digital unless they have absolutely have to.

oldergamer

Controversial, but I agree.

I don't agree with this. For the most part you will never see a first party title that attempts to do what Cyberpunk does from sony or MS. Its basically GTA RPG on steroids. This was a game designed for high end PC's paired down to console. That is the reason PS4 and Xbone can't handle it. Also Cyberpunk 2077 is hitting so many platforms, its basically impossible to have it fully optimized on each. Microsoft or sony can handle that part much better.

Last edited:
I don't agree with this. For the most part you will never see a first party title that attempts to do what Cyberpunk does from sony or nintendo. Its basically GTA RPG on steroids. This was a game designed for high end PC's paired down to console. That is the reason PS4 and Xbone can't handle it. Also Cyberpunk 2077 is hitting so many platforms, its basically impossible to have it fully optimized on each. Microsoft or sony can handle that part much better.

You're not wrong, but the key here is to ignore "generations" and think more of PCs and minimum specs.

Cyberpunk 2077, by rights, shouldn't be on last gen hardware at all. It works but not well enough to justify a purchase for a majority of people who would, or even did, purchase it. The manpower, alongside countless hours and dollars, would have been better spent starting with Series S as a console baseline.

What exactly is the biggest bottleneck for AAA games on last gen hardware? CPU? GPU? RAM? I'd suggest perhaps all of the above are lacking and, as such, it's a toil just to have such elongated targets between maximum potential and simply running on the lowest common denominator.

Halo Infinite needs to be a home run. Absolutely. 343i, regardless of your opinion of them, need this one to be an absolute unquestionable GOTY. Xbox needs it too. Supporting Xbox One further isn't in question for a plurality of titles, but I just wonder if perhaps focusing solely on Series X/S and PC may be for the best here. The year gap may be a hint 343i agree.

Last edited:

silentstorm

A new Blinx would be pretty cool, as a fun of cute mascot platformers or just platformers in general, i really wish Microsoft wouldn't have given up on a franchise platformer just because Blinx didn't work out, but they did and became the only company without a big platformer franchise...just saying, Sony has Ratchet and Clank.

Maybe The Initiative will have a Blinx campaign...also, for 3D platformer fans, Balan Wonderworld looks like it will be good:

Top Bottom