• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox |OT| Power Your Dreams

Just a massive quality-of-gaming-life improvement from the SSD alone. Add the improved resolution/frame rate performance, incredible dedication to Backwards Compatibility...contrary to some of the Series X reviews I view it as a MUST HAVE purchase for an Xbox enthusiast. The big, exclusive games will come, and following the development of these as news drops from the 23 studios will be so much fun.

For the record, I find console warring to be tiresome and full of a sad desperation, but I am legitimately curious as to whether the “on paper” power advantage will be evident in the early mulitplatform titles comparisons with Sony’s machine.

Understandably there is s lot of talk and excitement for Bethesda, I’m not a big first person guy so at the moment StarField is the only one I’m keeping an eye on there.

For me, I’m most excited for Playground games, I think they were the one of the diamonds in a rough Xbox generation and Fable could be pretty special. I’m really glad that are not just making Forza Horizon games and doing another genre. Very talented team and for me easily one of the best studio acquisitions Microsoft made.

Andodalf

Banned
Just a massive quality-of-gaming-life improvement from the SSD alone. Add the improved resolution/frame rate performance, incredible dedication to Backwards Compatibility...contrary to some of the Series X reviews I view it as a MUST HAVE purchase for an Xbox enthusiast. The big, exclusive games will come, and following the development of these as news drops from the 23 studios will be so much fun.

For the record, I find console warring to be tiresome and full of a sad desperation, but I am legitimately curious as to whether the “on paper” power advantage will be evident in the early mulitplatform titles comparisons with Sony’s machine.

Most games this gen had dynamic res at the end of this gen, and that trend will continue into the next. As such any gap in power should be very measurable, even if it's not huge in every title.

D

Deleted member 740922

Unconfirmed Member

We're led to believe there's an "on paper" game advantage with the PS5 at the moment - but....you never know.

Night.Ninja

Banned
There is really nothing next gen to play but i hate loading times but I'm still going to jump in

tenor.gif

-Arcadia-

Banned

Do you think I'm anything but happy about that? Again, it's not that visually intensive a game, as was mentioned in the DF preview, space being easy to render.

Are we going to have a problem? I've enjoyed your contributions, and have kept it polite, but if you keep up the console warrior derangement over criticism in a different thread, from days ago, I will have zero problem ripping you a new one, and knocking this entire thread off it's track, when it should be focused on launch day fun.

I don't want that to happen, but let me know.

Last edited:

Andodalf

Banned
Do you think I'm anything but happy about that? Again, it's not that visually intensive a game, as was mentioned in the DR preview, space being easy to render.

Are we going to have a problem? I've enjoyed your contributions, and have kept it polite, but if you keep up the console warrior derangement over criticism in a different thread, from days ago, I will have zero problem ripping you a new one, and knocking this entire thread off it's track, when it should be focused on launch day fun.

I don't want that to happen, but let me know.

Damn that winkey emojii really got you going

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
According to IGN, only the PS5 will get the improved lighting for Star Wars: Squadrons. I wonder why that is.

Last edited:
The sperg has had a problem over three posts, over days, doing the same thing. I'm suggesting he should get it out of his system or move on.

Yikes. Talk about an overreaction.

I just thought you'd want to see the 1440p games on Series S. There's enough of them that it's not outlandish to consider it a 1440p system.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Yikes. Talk about an overreaction.

I just thought you'd want to see the 1440p games on Series S. There's enough of them that it's not outlandish to consider it a 1440p system.

Don't passively aggressively annoy people over days, Hix, and accuse them of things. You might get an aggressive-aggressive reaction.

Thanks for the gold, though. If that's a desire to move on, I have the same. I have no want to be caught up in Gaf's console wars, and firing on each other. I'd rather be excited for both.

-Arcadia-

Banned
So, back on course, where can I find a chain selling launch day Series Xs? Whatever hoops I have to jump through for the usual social distancing stuff is fine. I just want a shot at a local, launch day system, without playing the greater internet lottery.

ZywyPL

Banned

Hard to disagree on that one, for this generation's launch games are surely MIA, but at least this time around the consoles themselves are for the very first time a really well balanced machines, and are a great foundation for years to come.

According to IGN, only the PS5 will get the improved lighting for Star Wars: Squadrons. I wonder why that is.

RDNA3 ;)

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
So, back on course, where can I find a chain selling launch day Series Xs? Whatever hoops I have to jump through for the usual social distancing stuff is fine. I just want a shot at a local, launch day system, without playing the greater internet lottery.
You're more than likely going to have to call around and see if they have any available for pick up without a pre order.

Pro tip: If a male answers the phone, turn up your sex appeal when asking if they can hold it for you. If they stammer and say "uhhh I don't know", respond with "if you hold it for me, maybe I'll hold something for you"

That has always worked for me

Last edited:
Alright brethren and sistren, I've let my gamepass sub expire because I want to take advantage of the 3 year for a dollar thingy deallio.

1. Is that still a thing that I can do? As in, is it still available?

2. If I've already had gamepass ultimate in the past and just let it expire, can I still do it? (It's been like 3 days since it expired) I've never done the 1 dollar upgrade deallio thingy.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Reading that Gizmodo review, and this quote is great. This is exactly how I feel about modern Xbox, including the One X. I think they've really gotten back to the original appeal.

I’ve been thinking about that a lot as I’ve covered the development of the Xbox Series X, because this system uses PC guts, too. It feels like a natural, and perhaps the most direct, descendent of that original beast of a machine. This is a showcase for what one of the biggest companies in tech can do when simplifying gaming for people who don’t want the cost or hassle of a PC. And I fucking love it.

Powerhouses, but without the power headaches.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Y'know what would be awesome?
A sequel to "Otogi". What I really loved about that game was the sense of destruction and scale within the environments. It was much more interesting to battle in those levels than many of the generic, flat arenas we often find ourselves playing in, when it comes to stylish-action games.

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
My younger brother went to EB games yesterday and traded in his Xbox One X. He also took an old 360 + a bunch of games with him for trade-in.

After all was accounted for, he is going to go pick up his Series X on Tuesday and all he had to pay was $80NZD.

Wild.
Without even knowing how many or what 360 games he traded in, that sounds great. Maybe a few rare, desirable games were in there for collector purposes? Either way, good for him.

Last edited:

Hey Blinkin

Alright brethren and sistren, I've let my gamepass sub expire because I want to take advantage of the 3 year for a dollar thingy deallio.

1. Is that still a thing that I can do? As in, is it still available?

2. If I've already had gamepass ultimate in the past and just let it expire, can I still do it? (It's been like 3 days since it expired) I've never done the 1 dollar upgrade deallio thingy.

Yes you can still do it, but after you've added the 3 years of gold you'll have to pay for Gamepass Ultimate at $14.99 instead of $1.

Edit: If you've never used the $1 deal, it's still an option.

Still a great bargain!

Last edited:
Yes you can still do it, but after you've added the 3 years of gold you'll have to pay for Gamepass Ultimate at $14.99 instead of $1.

Still a great bargain!
You mean after the 3 years of ultimate that I upgraded my gold to for a dollar I'll have to pay the full price, correct? I was pretty sure it was a one time deal anyway. Just wanted to take advantage of it while it was available.

Hey Blinkin

You mean after the 3 years of ultimate that I upgraded my gold to for a dollar I'll have to pay the full price, correct? I was pretty sure it was a one time deal anyway. Just wanted to take advantage of it while it was available.

I edited my last post, but if you've never taken advantage of the $1 deal yet, then you don't have to worry about the full price to upgrade.

I had already used it before, so I had to pay full price, but it's still worth it for the conversion.

Top Bottom