• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox |OT| Power Your Dreams

Rossco EZ

Same. If not, I've heard turning the brightness down to 48/49 gets rid of the grey blacks, but not sure how well that would work with HDR.
yeah that’s one of the things i saw too but didn’t want to be messing around with settings and having it mess up HDR stuff. i’d just end up leaving 4k 60 VRR on and then going to 1440p to do 120 i think. will be able to test in a few hours i guess xbox is out for delivery at least :messenger_horns:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
#insiderInfo
I guess XSX sells, not only is sold out everywhere, but just this week it sold around same numbers which Xbox one OG did here in 2 years (which is technically one year, since CZ was Tier 2 country):

3QijYgE.png

Picture says: "This week 1974 customers bought (the item)"

However PS5 still won obviously 50k console was sold out in hour and since then there were no more stocks since then. And my info about Xbox One is limited as with receipts, however I am on one of the "Czech Neogaf" type of forum where a lot of people works at shops and distribution channel in here and there was confirmed by mutliple people back then, that by 31/12/2014 half of stock was sold and stock was 5k consoles. It was simply too expensive and nobody gave a fuck about kinect. Not the mention PS4 had at the end of the year some discount.

XSS is still available tho.

Jemm

Picked mine up earlier, looking forward to trying it out later
I got mine (well, first of the two I ordered) two hours ago or so. I set it up as soon as possible, as there are plenty of updates, even though I had the games preloaded (WD: Legion, Valhalla etc).
When I'm done with work for the day, everything should be ready to go :)

Ulysses 31

I believe, although haven't been able to test, that a new patch the last couple of days has fixed some of the issues with the LG OLEDs.

Mileage may vary,but fingers crossed.
Just tested with my LG CX and there's flickering when going to 120 Hz and 10bit, 120 Hz 8 bit is fine. :lollipop_confused:

Jemm

Just tested with my LG CX and there's flickering when going to 120 Hz and 10bit, 120 Hz 8 bit is fine. :lollipop_confused:
Oof. Thanks for letting me know!

The 8-bit setting is recommended, anyway. Xbox automatically switches modes, when necessary:

The Xbox One console should be set to output at an 8-bit color depth. This probably seems counterintuitive to those with 4K HDR TVs, whose panels support a 10-bit or higher color depth. However, it has been demonstrated that the Xbox One will still automatically output all HDR content in 10-bit or 12-bit color depth, even when the console’s video output settings are set to 8-bit. The advantage of setting the Xbox One’s color depth to 8-bit is quite simple. The console renders all non-HDR (SDR) content in 8-bit, and setting your console to output in 10-bit or 12-bit will negatively affect the image quality of SDR content due to the introduction of inherently flawed video reprocessing.

Source: Even using a 4K HDR TV, set your Xbox One to output 8-bit color depth – Mess of Media

ZehDon

Well, day two with the Series X, and I was able to spend some real time with it tonight. Firstly, the noise. I'm still in awe of how quiet this thing is. Living in Australia, I was concerned about the Australian Summer®, which has a pretty bad effect on some machines *side eyes gaming PC*. Anyway, today was pretty damn warm, and even after three hours of full-on gameplay in this heat, the Series X stayed absolutely silent. Cannot praise that enough - it's a dream come true for someone who avoids using the PlayStation 4 Pro sitting under their TV.

So, anyway, the games. Up until now, "4k60" has been some wonderful buzz words, but I never really bought into it. I game in 3440x1440p at 100FPS on my PC; I know what good image quality is. After a few hours with Gears Tactics on the Series X... I'm a believer. I was watching the cinematics, thinking they're well done high bit-rate pre-rendered videos... and then my unit customisations showed up. Unbelievable image quality. No aliasing, no stutter, no texture pop-in, no awkward transitions, no long pauses on black screens. Four missions in, and I am utterly blown away by the visual presentation. It's faultless. This is a turn based tactics game that looks better than most high profile titles I've played in the last year. If this is a cross-gen game, I cannot wait to see what lays ahead when the exclusives start dropping.
Also... why did no one tell me Gears Tactics was flipping amazing? Its XCOM without the fat, and it fits the Gears Universe so damn well. Amazing launch titles for the Series X, and instantly one of my favourite titles of the whole year. If you're even remotely interested in it, pick it up; you won't be disappointed.

Fun anecdote: after Gears Tactics, I went back to Forza 7. I'd forgotten about quick resume - the reality of it hasn't sunk in yet - and I pressed play on the game icon from the menu, and went to stand up to go and get a drink while it loaded... except that in that time the game was already loaded back to the menu ready for me to pick my race. I kinda just stood there confused... so I just sat back down and started racing. I don't think I actually ever went and got that drink. I legitimately don't know how I'm going to adjust to this.

The Series X is quickly becoming my favourite launch Xbox - though, I do wish there was just one or two more big titles at launch. Amazing experience. Also, whoever decided to put the textured grip on the rear of the controller? They deserves a raise - I can't go back to the One controller.

Can't wait to see how everyone else enjoys their new consoles as they start landing over the next day!

Jemm

So then I fear it will start flickering when the game switches to 10 bit.

I'll test with Doom Eternal once it's downloaded.
I quickly tried Ori and the Will of the Wisps (LG CX) and didn't notice anything strange in the 120Hz or 6K modes.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Tried to get one last night when added to all the online store. Got checked out at GameStop but my cc company decided to not approve the charge so by time I got that fixed it was sold out, also got it in my cart at ms store but never able to check out.

oh well can’t say I didn’t try.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

Same! Just came and now is downloading the Ori 2 next gen patch.

Packaging is super premium, controller feels waaaaaay better than I expected, many steps above the One, and the Series X itself is remarkably small and light - YT videos don't do it justice.
The packaging was really nice and premium, didn’t expect that. Felt like an Apple product except black.

The feel of the new controller is completely different from the Project Scorpio one, very metallic. That’s all I can say so far!

DavidGzz

Gold Member
Taking kids to school, grabbing some late breakfast and then I will be picking it up at 10am central time. Can't wait!

Edit: Actually, instead of breakfast I may hit the gym to get today's workout out of the way to have more time with the box...

Last edited:

smbu2000

Got my Series X in earlier today after re-delivery. Ordered it from the MS Japan store.
Setup was no problem using the Xbox App and it seems much more responsive compared to the X1. I'm re-downloading a lot of stuff although I probably should have just copied over stuff from my X1X. (Games I own and Gamepass stuff) Glad to see EA play available now as well on Gamepass.

New controller feels nice as well although I will be using it as a secondary controller and use my Elite 2 as my main one again. Just want to test out the new one first.

Top Bottom