• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox |OT| Power Your Dreams

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I don't think games what are X S enhanced will work. I transferred 2 via network from XB1X as they never even showed up when i plugged in external hdd. It then prompted me to update (full game download) when i tried to start them. Only games only that get a boost from cpu/gpu can play.

I was able to transfer my game from my external drive to the console drive. Once I started it then it did a 64gb update for nextgen, so I guess it just redownloaded the entire game as the new version.

If the early reviews that said the XSX experience didn’t feel next-gen were because they didn’t update to an overindulgent UI and stuck with one that works fine then they need to hand in their journalism cards.

With the SSD and none crap CPU the UI is so responsive now and it feels fantastic especially compared to the base consoles which can be so slow when you are used to a PC.

I was going to keep my PS4 but now know it will never get used again as the sluggishness annoyed me even pre XSX. If that isn’t a generational difference I don’t know what is.

Only played Valhalla and Legion so far and both look much cleaner than X1X although no amount of power will overcome Ubisoft jank.

Last edited:

Andodalf

Banned
The whole "OS isn't new" argument is so dumb. If the OS on XO was still the version from 5 years ago the OS on XSX would be praised even if it was the exact same as it is today. PS5 wins points with people simply because Sony held things back from PS4 for no reason. How are people so dumb? XSX is going to get features throughout it's life. PS5 is going to miss features is could have that Sony wants to hold for PS6

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
How to completely shutdown the console ?

tenor.gif

If instant on is selected you cant unless you go to the full shutdown in the settings menu.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Dark Souls Xbox 360 is quite something on the Xbox Series X. Yes, I realize how ridiculous that reads, but there are zero performance issues, and I greatly prefer the look of the original to the half-assed remaster.

Blight Town, you have been conquered.

Last edited:

saintjules

Gold Member
My Series X mofo is growling a bit when installing the Yakuza disc. Had to put it horizontal to lessen the noise.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 801069

Unconfirmed Member
I thought people were complaining about painfully slow download speeds? I’m getting 200 mbs

Iced Arcade

Brother in-law had his series X brick (or what it seemed to be). Disconnected everything and seemed to come back when he removed the external HDD plugged in.

Just a heads up for anyone if they run into any issues.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I noticed my console was making noise every few minutes after a full power down. It sounded like it was briefly turning on constantly but no lights or fans were turning on. I found the external drive I had plugged in was periodically cycling on and off even though the console was off. I’ll have to unplug it when not using the console.

bighugeguns

Guys I've got a Razer headset with regular audio / mic jacks, how X-Boned am I with regards to audio here?

I also have a Logitech USB to audio jack driver dongle, do you think it would work on these Xboxes?

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Brother in-law had his series X brick (or what it seemed to be). Disconnected everything and seemed to come back when he removed the external HDD plugged in.

Just a heads up for anyone if they run into any issues.
Somebody in the other thread is having issues. Did he get an error code or did it just not turn on?

Last edited:

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Got it all set up today and all I've played today for the last couple of hours is Fight Night Champions and Battlefield 4.

Kagey K

Banned
Got it all set up today and all I've played today for the last couple of hours is Fight Night Champions and Battlefield 4.
Good choices.

I don‘t know how much faster BF would load and you’d be sitting there waiting for Teammates, but I imagine FN could see some decent gains.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Ha, I didn't know Gamecube's could get that old.

Just checked mine and the plastic is still white as ever. Just dusty.

cREZvzJ.jpg
Three of mine are fine. One has a little yellowing but was like that when I got it second hand. My original GameCube I’ve had since the beginning is pristine.

Dope VHS player. My gosh that is a ton of dust...I want to reach through the screen with a swifer.

D

Deleted member 801069

Unconfirmed Member
Was about to start Witcher 3, should I choose to simulate a Witcher 2 save if I’ve never played any of the Witcher games? Prob not, right? Was thinking I should say no.

Kagey K

Banned
Was about to start Witcher 3, should I choose to simulate a Witcher 2 save if I’ve never played any of the Witcher games? Prob not, right? Was thinking I should say no.
If you don’t it’ll just pick random choices for you. Better to read a summary of 2 and pick the outcomes you want.

In the end it’s not a big deal either way.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Finding the series X a bit of a pain in the arse at the moment. I filled the HDD up in about ten seconds, I've had nothing but constant updates for games (the same games three times? Wtf..)

AC Odyssey booted from the internal and said one of the DLC items wasnt installed, but it was..

Hope it's better today. Judging by this morning though the download speed to my updates has dropped off to 364Kb/s in the UK

Marvelous.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Finding the series X a bit of a pain in the arse at the moment. I filled the HDD up in about ten seconds, I've had nothing but constant updates for games (the same games three times? Wtf..)

AC Odyssey booted from the internal and said one of the DLC items wasnt installed, but it was..

Hope it's better today. Judging by this morning though the download speed to my updates has dropped off to 364Kb/s in the UK

Marvelous.
FFS, just looked up and Valhalla just started ANOTHER patch download of 46.19 GB's

Pfffffftttttttt.....

Gen X

Good choices.

I don‘t know how much faster BF would load and you’d be sitting there waiting for Teammates, but I imagine FN could see some decent gains.

Multiplayer hadn't downloaded by the time I started the campaign but I will be sure to give it a whirl when the campaign is finished. Last time I played it was before the PS4 Pro came out and I promptly returned it as it ran really bad. This time though.... *chefs kiss*

Fight Night Champions still has problems running the cut scene at the start in the prison but aside from that it's great. I've wanted to play it for years but second hand copies were still quite pricey in New Zealand.

Kagey K

Banned
Multiplayer hadn't downloaded by the time I started the campaign but I will be sure to give it a whirl when the campaign is finished. Last time I played it was before the PS4 Pro came out and I promptly returned it as it ran really bad. This time though.... *chefs kiss*

Fight Night Champions still has problems running the cut scene at the start in the prison but aside from that it's great. I've wanted to play it for years but second hand copies were still quite pricey in New Zealand.
Did fight night have auto HDR? I can’t see it being a thing since it’s so dark, but it could make the bright flashes as you get countered fucking crazy bright.

Marvelous.

Depends on the game of course, but installing games is always a bit of a pain, particularly with updates.

That download speed is woeful though, are you running wireless? I went wired and am getting 30-40mb/s downloading MCC right now, and it never really dipped lower during the night either.

Gen X

Did fight night have auto HDR? I can’t see it being a thing since it’s so dark, but it could make the bright flashes as you get countered fucking crazy bright.

Didn't notice any bright flashes and I'm not sure if it has HDR. My telly is a weird one, it has HDR but you can't turn it on or off, it's only activated when you select it within the console so if a game doesn't have a setting turned on then you're out of luck. Believe me, I've been through the manual, all the setting and nothing on the remote.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Depends on the game of course, but installing games is always a bit of a pain, particularly with updates.

That download speed is woeful though, are you running wireless? I went wired and am getting 30-40mb/s downloading MCC right now, and it never really dipped lower during the night either.
No it's fully wired, I'll just have to put it down to half the world getting on the new Xbox. The games were already pre installed on two external drives that we all fully patched up prior, I copied the big hitters over to the internal straight off the bat. These updates though, crazy. It was updating Watchdogs and in the updates section was another update..

Valhalla has updated four times.. No mans sky three times, plus various others

Something doesnt seem right. Hopefully it straightens out.

Kagey K

Banned
Didn't notice any bright flashes and I'm not sure if it has HDR. My telly is a weird one, it has HDR but you can't turn it on or off, it's only activated when you select it within the console so if a game doesn't have a setting turned on then you're out of luck. Believe me, I've been through the manual, all the setting and nothing on the remote.
You didn’t make it far enough to take counter punches yet then.

The game lets you know when they counter you.

Last edited:

Night.Ninja

Banned
Has anyone managed to get dynamic backgrounds working? mine doesn't seem to load at all.

With the UI talk it definitely need to get upgraded with all these new features this old UI is outdated.

It's annoying because I don't know what is in quick resume and what is not, we still don't have the option to manage our downloads in any particular order I have to keep pausing resuming stuff just to get them in order I want.

Really need something on the guide that shows what is suspended and what is not, a separate section for downloads because what ever I'm downloading is always the second tile in the guide.

I am definitely under the impression that the people at Microsoft do not use their Xbox regularly.

Last edited:
I postes a pic of my new xbox on FB and one of my friends said (jokingly) why do I have that crap instead of PS5. I joked back and said gamepass and the bathesda purchase tempted me to the dark side.

He then went onto say that exclusives are what's keeping him at Sony, but in the same sentence said MS won't keep bathesda games exclusive because they will miss out on so much money 😂

Gen X

You didn’t make it far enough to take counter punches yet then.

The game lets you know when they counter you.
Ahh ok, I'm looking forward to playing more tomorrow after work. Got a lot of games to catch up on thanks to EA Play merging with Gamepass.

Flintty

If the early reviews that said the XSX experience didn’t feel next-gen were because they didn’t update to an overindulgent UI and stuck with one that works fine then they need to hand in their journalism cards.

With the SSD and none crap CPU the UI is so responsive now and it feels fantastic especially compared to the base consoles which can be so slow when you are used to a PC.

I was going to keep my PS4 but now know it will never get used again as the sluggishness annoyed me even pre XSX. If that isn’t a generational difference I don’t know what is.

Only played Valhalla and Legion so far and both look much cleaner than X1X although no amount of power will overcome Ubisoft jank.

People also forget that the current UI is actually new, and last gen consoles were updated to it for consistency across devices. And face it, it’s hugely better than the previous UI used on X1 devices.

Gripers are gonna gripe though.

Top Bottom