• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox |OT| Power Your Dreams

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
No it's fully wired, I'll just have to put it down to half the world getting on the new Xbox. The games were already pre installed on two external drives that we all fully patched up prior, I copied the big hitters over to the internal straight off the bat. These updates though, crazy. It was updating Watchdogs and in the updates section was another update..

Valhalla has updated four times.. No mans sky three times, plus various others

Something doesnt seem right. Hopefully it straightens out.

I had weird experiences moving games as well. Valhalla just wouldn't install the update once I moved it from my external. I said fuck it and just installed everything from scratch.

Jemm

People also forget that the current UI is actually new, and last gen consoles were updated to it for consistency across devices. And face it, it’s hugely better than the previous UI used on X1 devices.

Gripers are gonna gripe though.
If Microsoft had made a new OS or even UI (shell) from scratch, it would be buggy and missing many features, that would be fixes and added over time. (Remember Xbox One OS when it arrived?) Instead, we now have a stable OS with new features coming in all the time.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
I had weird experiences moving games as well. Valhalla just wouldn't install the update once I moved it from my external. I said fuck it and just installed everything from scratch.
I was close to doing that but it actually finished, tried it and it ran flawless.

I just literally came across another weird thing though.. I saw updates for a few odd games. Grounded, the Touryst, Maneater. I patched them and for some reason ended up on the internal and were installed twice (internal and external)

I deleted the internal version. Low and behold in the 'update' section of the UI the same games want patching..

I sodded the updates off, dont really want them on the small internal just yet..

If Microsoft had made a new OS or even UI (shell) from scratch, it would be buggy and missing many features, that would be fixes and added over time. (Remember Xbox One OS when it arrived?) Instead, we now have a stable OS with new features coming in all the time.

Comujg from the PS4.... I do feel that the ps4 has a better UI. I could navigate that so easy and I feel I needed to press less buttons to get to where I want to go.

I could be doing it wrong (still learning the shortcuts) but for example..... If you have headphones in and want to change the audio..... It seems you have to click loads on the XSX compared to ps4

Jemm

Comujg from the PS4.... I do feel that the ps4 has a better UI. I could navigate that so easy and I feel I needed to press less buttons to get to where I want to go.

I could be doing it wrong (still learning the shortcuts) but for example..... If you have headphones in and want to change the audio..... It seems you have to click loads on the XSX compared to ps4
Yes, there are many things that could be improved in the Xbox UI and it is nowhere near perfect.

What I'm saying, it would probably be even worse, if it was completely new, like it was with XONE.

small_law

I was having second thoughts about trading in my One X for the Series X, but I'm glad I did. I couldn't live with the HDD in that thing anymore. Say what you want about PS4 bottlenecks, but putting a SATA SSD in my Pro went a very long way in keeping it pleasant to use.

With the Series X, Microsoft has finally washed all the Don Mattrick out of the Xbox brand. The things that crippled the Xbox One line are gone. In terms of load times/boot times/storage speed, if you've ever used a PC with an NVME SSD boot drive, that's what you can expect. Forza Horizon 4 actually loads faster on the Series X than it does on my Core i9 9900k/NVME PC. Playground Games definitely made some tweaks, 65 GB of them to be exact, but I haven't seen a dropped frame at 4K/60 fps.

As for external drives, I'm using a 1 TB Samsung T5 SSD and a 4 TB Seagate HDD. Loading Xbox One games from the SSD is absolutely faster than it was on the One X. It seems like you're getting the full bandwidth out of the USB 3.1 (USB 3.2 gen 1) ports.

The only issue I'm seeing so far is with wireless audio transmitted from the console to the controller. When I plug headphones into the controller, I get somewhat frequent stutters and static. It's a shitty, annoying issue I also had with my One X and original One and I'm surprised to see it again. I can't imagine I'm generating that kind of interference.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I was close to doing that but it actually finished, tried it and it ran flawless.

I just literally came across another weird thing though.. I saw updates for a few odd games. Grounded, the Touryst, Maneater. I patched them and for some reason ended up on the internal and were installed twice (internal and external)

I deleted the internal version. Low and behold in the 'update' section of the UI the same games want patching..

I sodded the updates off, dont really want them on the small internal just yet..
Those games have series X patches so they have to be on the internal to play.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
Got everything set up without problem last night. One thing that got me pumped was Samsung updated by q70 yesterday to support 4k 120hz!!! It was only capable of 120hz @ 1440p previously.

Also, has anyone checked out how damn fast the browser is? I know that's the last thing most people are going to do on a new console, but I'm weird. That shit is faster than my surface pro 6. Cpu gains are real.

Here are some more random thoughts I have had about the system.

Auto hdr looks awesome on the witness, check it out if you own a copy. On No Man's Sky, you no longer have to slow down while approaching a planet to let it load in, bad ass. Quick resume is faster than first demoed. Launching settings is curiously not much faster than my 1X. Both series S and X are smaller than I was expecting.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Gold Member

Remember that after clicking the home button, use the RT to go straight to the bottom of the page to get to the shortcuts, including the audio shortcut.

MDSLKTR

Jga8ZIP.jpg

Still setting up, still downloading everything. I had a bunch of glitches yesterday that seem to have went away this morning after a restart. Lost my Atmos, had to reconfigure and seems fine now.

Now: why isn't crackdown 1 at 60fps??? I've read it from a journalist that the framerate doubled in previews last month.

Methos#1975

Need some serious help here guys. Have my XSX set up just as I did my XBX but I cannot get either quick resume or the ability to download games or move them while the console is off to work. What is the deal here? Shouldn't setting it to instant on be enough?

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Those games have series X patches so they have to be on the internal to play.
Yeah, I know..

But patching them shouldnt give them free reign to fuck off onto the internal without my say so. Other Series X games that are installed on my external are not doing the same.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I'm genuinely surprised nobody has jumped at the chance to make a thread regarding any faulty console issues lol. Seems awfully peaceful for a console launch on GAF.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 740922

Unconfirmed Member
Tiny little packaging for the new Play and Charge kit

20201111-132237.jpg

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I've just installed it and it's not running at 60fps. Hopefully an update comes soon. I'm also disappointed that Fallout 4 hasn't received its 60fps update yet. I really want to play it at 60fps.

Update arrives December 8th. (Destiny)

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Yeah, I know..

But patching them shouldnt give them free reign to fuck off onto the internal without my say so. Other Series X games that are installed on my external are not doing the same.

I'm guessing its moving over based on the package it's installing. Likely a bug.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Had some issues last night. I was in the middle of downloading a lot of stuff so maybe that played a part, but I could not get Forza 4 to load past the "Changing Seasons" screen. Other than that, not much to report yet as I have not had a chance to play anything.

MDSLKTR

Had some issues last night. I was in the middle of downloading a lot of stuff so maybe that played a part, but I could not get Forza 4 to load past the "Changing Seasons" screen. Other than that, not much to report yet as I have not had a chance to play anything.
I feel like everything is glitchy af until it finishes downloading. I had sound problems in MW and hitching in the bootcamp that went away this morning.

bighugeguns

Well, having ordered the Xbox Series S I'll have to decide which game I'm going to install, decisions decisions.

OK, jokes aside, what would be the best portable to use with it for my older games?

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
So after this last night playing Blair witch in a dark room;

ZCvew98.jpg

Should I give it more time to adjust or should I just buy this to go over the controller? Anyone else have issues playing at night or was it just the darkness of the game making it worse?

Love everything else about the system.

Fu994tm.jpg

Rossco EZ

So after this last night playing Blair witch in a dark room;

ZCvew98.jpg

Should I give it more time to adjust or should I just buy this to go over the controller? Anyone else have issues playing at night or was it just the darkness of the game making it worse?

Love everything else about the system.

Fu994tm.jpg
give it a bit of time mate, when i first got an xbox i was like wtf this is bright at night but just slowly forgot about it haha. i always wondered why people complained about dualshock light bar as the xbox light is brighter and more annoying tbh.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Does this have to be moved to the internal to see benefits? I've had it loaded on my external since launch but never played it

No, I have it installed (from disc) on my normal external. Moving to internal will only affect the load times. It still gets 60fps on your external.

Top Bottom