• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM 2 |OT| Be Aggressive! Be Be Aggressive!

No luck on hacking it even with savescum, so I just nuked it in one turn with all six dudes and gave up concealment. Oh well. Mind controlled an andro anyway, nice consolation prize.

ISee

Just started a mission concealed... and a sectopod was in range of my troops from spawn. Like, I can't move any of my troops because as soon as they move they will triger the secto, since they're already in his discovery range.

... I don't think that was a design decision.

No way, there are no bugs in this game. Every mission is absolutely fair.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Too late, made it to mission 6 before I started scumming on Legendary.
Top grenadier is captured, rookie suicided, then fucking UFO hunted me down, lost another rookie there (woulda had to sac a real unit, maybe should have let them die.
That's all ADVENT gets right now.

ISee

Fair? It's more fair to have 1 berserk, 2 Mutons + 4 heavy Advent guards near the spawn start location whilst trying to save people that are dying left and right

No that's game balance, your soldiers are already overpowered because of grenades. Also viper pulling one of your soldiers to their position is fair, especially when you trigger at least two pack because of this. Missions never go bad because of strange stuff, there are no game bugs and the game really feels well tested and performance is brilliant.

After beating the game on ironman commander I started a new game on legendary ironman and seriously the shit that's going on here is extrem. I didn't expect such an increase in difficulty. I love this game, but I feel like a noob and I'm very salty atm.

No that's game balance, your soldiers are already overpowered because of grenades. Also viper pulling one of your soldiers to their position is fair, especially when you trigger at least two pack because of this. Missions never go bad because of strange stuff, there are no game bugs and the game really feels well tested and performance is brilliant.

After beating the game on ironman commander I started a new game on legendary ironman and seriously the shit that's going on here is extrem. I didn't expect such an increase in difficulty. I love this game, but I feel like a noob and I'm very salty atm.

The beginning curve is really brutal. The real test of legendary is within the first few months. After that it gets significantly better. Just make sure you bring multiple mimic beacons. Mimic beacons all around. Seriously I have two currently and it's not enough. Without it I'm pretty sure every unit I have would be horribly injured.

FunkyMonk

We've all experienced the game dropping to a crawl but has anyone else noticed it seems to be much worse during the 'story' missions? I did the follow up to the Blacksite vial mission last night, t
he one where you recover a stasis suit
, and the game was chugging without any fire, acid or poison visuals to pin the blame on whereas the next mission half the map was on fire and crumbling and the game was fine.

Lingitiz

Okay finally finished my first play through.

Overall a pretty great game and worthy successor to EU/EW, but the atrocious bugs and performance REALLY bring the entire package down. It's been since I've seen a game performance like such utter and complete trash for no explicable reason. In a game where a bunch of crappy unlucky things could happen to you, distrusting the game and what's being presented due to bugs is kind of a huge problem. I don't want to feel like hit percentages are false, or get stuck out of being able to extract a squad member due to the game bugging out.

On the design side I would say some of the enemies were far more annoying than actually difficult or presenting much of a tactical challenge. Codexes in particular were nothing but nuisances designed to be as tedious as humanly possible. Same goes for sectoids in the early game where they mind controlled teams to death and you spent so much time mitigating damage than actually making progress. The classes probably need some more balancing too. Grenadiers are by far the most effective with the extra space for weapons and the importance of grenades, especially early on. I got through the entire thing without even bothering with the Psi Lab so no idea how that actually works out.

I was surprised there was as much story as there was. As someone who was thinking this was going to be a more slimmed down Civ style experience, I was surprised cutscenes were as prevalent and sometimes intrusive as they were. The story itself was actually decent but not something I'd really care about on further playthroughs. Not sure if main mission objectives and maps are randomized, but I hope they are.

I would like to say I'm excited to come back to this, but it was just so painfully rough technically throughout. Maybe when patches clean things up I'd be more inclined to come back. It's a great game but could have been fantastic if it wasn't the roughest game technically I've played in quite some time. What should be a slam dunk game of the year is now a cautious recommendation. Having the Steam FPS counter in the corner while playing is kind of a heartbreaking experience with all the drops into single digits. Hell, not even launch Witcher 3 on PS4 was this bad. Good lord. One thing I will say is that it got me itching for other strategy games. Maybe I'll dive into Homeworld DoK or Shadowrun HK, or just get way into Invisible Inc.

I played the entire game mostly with the Steam Controller and it was fantastic on that front.

Random mind control can be so fun. I got it in a hack at the start of the mission and it gave me a lone Stun Lancer on a roof opposite the map, all the way where the objective is. A Stun Lancer surrounded by about 7 other tangos, thus activating almost every pod in the map at the same time, and getting obliterated on the alien turn.

Basically changed the mission into a wave defense as they charged toward my initial position, for which I used a poor little country shack with, crucially, a car in the garage. It was fantastic.

I see a lot of potential in this game for more varied mission types. Wave defense would be cool, done in a a different manner from the Avenger defense mission.

ISee

The beginning curve is really brutal. The real test of legendary is within the first few months. After that it gets significantly better. Just make sure you bring multiple mimic beacons. Mimic beacons all around. Seriously I have two currently and it's not enough. Without it I'm pretty sure every unit I have would be horribly injured.

Thanks for the advise. I think I'll try to hold out as long as I can before giving up and restarting. But this will be a very long playthrough because I think thrice about every single move and shot.

Thanks for the advise. I think I'll try to hold out as long as I can before giving up and restarting. But this will be a very long playthrough because I think thrice about every single move and shot.

It is definitely required. I only do one or two missions on any day because missions take like you said about 3x longer than missions did on lower difficulties due to thinking everything through.

Outside of that I recommend the build order of facilities being

Guerilla OPS. Getting an extra squad mate makes a huge difference.

AWC. Units go out for almost two months sometimes if gravely wounded (basically they get hit at all.) It's imperative to get it and make sure you get those extra perks too.

Psi OP's I'm working on it now. They are simply put your most effective units you will have on legendary. Consider the first mutons have around 12health and 2 armor. It can take a squad to take down one early and they show up after like 4 missions.

Still working on the rest.

Most important items early are flashbangs. More so than regular grenades unlike my experience with Veteran. If you don't have at least two in early missions you will take heavy wounds or even losses.

Mimic beacons ASAP. A mimic beacon can mean a round of wasted enemy attacks which means one of your soldiers surviving.

I know most of this goes without saying but I'll keep updating my "guide" as I go.

FunkyMonk

Just make sure you bring multiple mimic beacons. Mimic beacons all around. Seriously I have two currently and it's not enough. Without it I'm pretty sure every unit I have would be horribly injured.

I'll second this, Mimic Beacons are nearly essential for me, they've saved my troops so many damn times and you can get them so early in the game.

The Foul

Just started a mission concealed... and a sectopod was in range of my troops from spawn. Like, I can't move any of my troops because as soon as they move they will triger the secto, since they're already in his discovery range.

I've had this happen twice, both times I reloaded back one save out of the mission, finished scanning or doing something else, went back in and enemy placement was re-rolled. 2K pls.

Random17

Why is a shotgun at 2 tiles with no cover in the way a 43% to hit on a gatekeeper

Wat

Is it floating above ground? That's probably the reason. That or Gatekeeper's innate defence.

-----------

In the long term, people will remember Xcom 2 as being superior to its predecessor in most ways, especially due to modding. I've already got like 25 mods, although 20 are cosmetic or minor changes.

However, the soundtrack of X1 EU is amazing. Xcom 2 is good, but not that memorable in comparison. I'd say the Skyranger track in Xcom 2 is probably the best. Battle theme is good too.

red731

Why is a shotgun at 2 tiles with no cover in the way a 43% to hit on a gatekeeper

Wat

Answer to these questions is here - when you are aiming at the enemy with a weapon, check the info box below and click on the arrows that are on left and right. side of the box.
This will give you more info.

And I would like it expanded every time, automatically.

Regarding that save scum hacking - move somewhere with something or do something and then do it again.

mbpm1

First runthrough I did the forge mission and the sectopod was literally on the cliffs above my guys, seeing me instantly. Don't know if it was intentional but...

*shrug*

Good thing I had two hackers

Finnroth

Same thing happened to me, might be bugged, the layout certainly didn't look intended (it actually made the mission easier as well).

Jintor

"Cutscene lag won't affect your game"

Entire last ending part of game desyncs by almost a full thirty seconds and freezes, becoming a fucking radio play

Not what I wanted after slogging through that last mission. Fucking great. Real sour taste in my mouth here.

The technical issues are seriously fucking inexcusable.

Lingitiz

Entire last ending part of game desyncs by almost a full thirty seconds and freezes, becoming a fucking radio play

Not what I wanted after slogging through that last mission. Fucking great. Real sour taste in my mouth here.

Yep. Same thing happened to me at the ending. It is seriously kind of amazing not only how bad the performance is, but how it seemingly degrades over time. I don't know if reviewers just have low standards or something but it's fascinating how all these bugs and awful performance hitches were mostly ignored or excused away by day one reviews.

mbpm1

Not only in the ending

Literally every time I started a new Ironman Campaign something would crash in the beginning when you get to the Avenger

Either I would go to the lab, and skipping the cutscene too quickly would freeze, or going to the engineering bay and skipping that cutscene would freeze, or the flavour dialogue popping up after I would go to another room or menu would freeze the game.

Just finished a Veteran Iron man playthrough. The final mission with 2 psi ops and the
is so fuckin' easy. I can't even imagine doing the mission without those three and my gunslinger.
In the penultimate room, I tried to Mind Control two gatekeepers and succeeded, only to find out that there were half a dozen Stun Lancers right in their sight range. So suddenly, I had two of those codex bastards and 6 stun lancers on my screen. What did I do? I used the
Dimensional rift to weaken the lancers and then bombed the codex enemies with my grenadiers, taking them down to about 1 or 2 health, but because they cloned after that, I had 10 enemies to take care of, but my badass gunslinger took them all out in one face-off. Quite fittingly, his game-generated nickname was "Cowboy".

I think EMP grenades are glitched. Since I got advanced explosives I've gotta craft a new one after every mission because they keep disappearing.

Tinfoil time - Anyone suspect that XCOM 2 was intentionally stripped of XInput to push the Steam Controller?

I mean, there's nothing here that can't be done with an Xbone controller like in EU. The exact same consolized UI EU had is still here, but with smaller fonts and icons.

... It's like every time there's a major game on Steam with no controller support, but a UI present that could be workable with one, there's a massive "WORKS WITH STEAM CONTROLLER!" banner and a Steam Controller bundle.

samn

Tinfoil time - Anyone suspect that XCOM 2 was intentionally stripped of XInput to push the Steam Controller?

I mean, there's nothing here that can't be done with an Xbone controller like in EU. The exact same consolized UI EU had is still here, but with smaller fonts and icons.

I suspect they just half arsed it.

pislit

I just had a mission where the aliens stopped attacking me, like they dont move and shit. For the price of 2-minute alien activity. PATCH PLEASE.

mbpm1

Had a new glitch yesterday, one soldier stopped "moving" from place to place and would instead "teleport" to the selected location.

Also a berserker hit in overwatch seemed to be "Stuck" in the slowmotion from overwatch so it would take 30 seconds before he would get to the spot where he was supposed to be even after overwatch was over. He was also teleporting.

Yep. Same thing happened to me at the ending. It is seriously kind of amazing not only how bad the performance is, but how it seemingly degrades over time. I don't know if reviewers just have low standards or something but it's fascinating how all these bugs and awful performance hitches were mostly ignored or excused away by day one reviews.

Seems like only one Dan Ryckert of Giant Bomb knocked it for technical problems.

vpance

Getting revealed going to hack a terminal when I should be in cover seems screwy. There aren't any alert tiles around, but there is a group hanging just outside by the window. But still, I should be in at least half cover so they shouldn't see me, right? Unless the terminal itself doesn't count as cover in which case it makes sense.

Jintor

Getting revealed going to hack a terminal when I should be in cover seems screwy. There aren't any alert tiles around, but there is a group hanging just outside by the window. But still, I should be in at least half cover so they shouldn't see me, right? Unless the terminal itself doesn't count as cover in which case it makes sense.

you might be being seen en-route?

Had a new glitch yesterday, one soldier stopped "moving" from place to place and would instead "teleport" to the selected location.

Also a berserker hit in overwatch seemed to be "Stuck" in the slowmotion from overwatch so it would take 30 seconds before he would get to the spot where he was supposed to be even after overwatch was over. He was also teleporting.
Firaxis plz.

I hope this game gets a lot of official support and they don't leave it all up to mods.

Anyone trucking through the whole thing on a Steam controller?

I am. I made some changes that I think are critical though:

1. Assign the left and right arrow to left and right on the left pad. Boom - now you can cycle abilities like in XCOM EU.

2. If using the touch menu for abilities, make it larger and make it work on touch release. Click on the pad while holding left grip AND panning to an ability is a nightmare.

The only thing that doesn't seem to work well is that you have to select solider customizations twice. Not sure why, but almost every time in Props I have to select and armor option, and then select it again. Do kb/m players have his too?

Is the only consequence to ignoring Guerilla Ops is that you activate all dark events, instead of just countering one of them?

In some cases, I'm willing to deal with the dark events for the tradeoff of letting my crew heal.

tauke

Was following Capnbubs tutorials for creating hat/helmet/prop mods.

588E04F2D9A5114B5512928143E9864726986A58

Ok I'm still playing Tales of the Abyss 3DS and thought of something super simple to model and texture in PBR method just to ensure it works in game lol.

vpance

you might be being seen en-route?

I'm 1 tile away from the terminal with no reveal, then I move to the terminal, it triggers, and I'm revealed by way of being flanked. So I guess the terminal isn't cover then.

Edit: Terminal is on a desk and it's half cover. But andromedon is kind of diagonal to me so that must be how he's flanking.

Sblargh

Banned
What I think it's funny is that the entire month leading to the game's release had lots of gameplay vids and livestreams and so on. Yet, they all worked fine.
I don't remember watching a livestream where the game performed as badly as the final build does (and a bunch of them weren't made by firaxis themselves).
What happened?
That reviewers ignored it is sadly kind of expected, but Beagle was doing stuff like putting 48 soldiers on the map and it worked fine.

Jintor

What I think it's funny is that the entire month leading to the game's release had lots of gameplay vids and livestreams and so on. Yet, they all worked fine.
I don't remember watching a livestream where the game performed as badly as the final build does (and a bunch of them weren't made by firaxis themselves).
What happened?
That reviewers ignored it is sadly kind of expected, but Beagle was doing stuff like putting 48 soldiers on the map and it worked fine.

It's not really the game map that has the most consistent problems. It's mainly the avenger and cutscenes. Everything else has so many variables feeding into it you're not going to see it on an hour here, an hour there.

Is there a way to get out of the UFO attack? It happened at just about the worst possible time since I pretty much just got finished setting up for a major push back on the avatar project, but the incoming attack is going to wound or even kill multiple soldiers. I can't even see a way to survive a fight of this scale since they start out by throwing pretty much a wave of 10 enemies at you including a number of enemies that are going to occupy to 2-3 soldiers each. It just seems brutal.

Sblargh

Banned
Is there a way to get out of the UFO attack? It happened at just about the worst possible time since I pretty much just got finished setting up for a major push back on the avatar project, but the incoming attack is going to wound or even kill multiple soldiers. I can't even see a way to survive a fight of this scale since they start out by throwing pretty much a wave of 10 enemies at you including a number of enemies that are going to occupy to 2-3 soldiers each. It just seems brutal.

If you got a concealed ranger, you can use it to spot the beacon and then have snipers shoot it down from far. Try to take it down before getting overwhelmed.

McNum

I had an amusing bug yesterday, but since it's from the final mission, I'll tag it.

At the muton wave, I had the Avatar mind control one of them, so I could have it blow up their cover with a grenade. But on the alien turn, another muton ran up and knocked mine unconscious. And then I learned mutons are definitely not meant to be KO'd like that. For the first few turns, I still had control, so it just stayed down... and then the mind control ran out and things got weird.

Every turn, for the rest of the mission, the muton would get up, yell at my soldiers and then fall down like a ragdoll. I couldn't target it and AoEs didn't damage it. So I just let it be. But having a muton wake up every turn and go "XCOM! I will kill you all! ...after this nap." was great comedy relief.

If you got a concealed ranger, you can use it to spot the beacon and then have snipers shoot it down from far. Try to take it down before getting overwhelmed.

I'll have to give that a shot. I think I have a ranger with the skill and I've got a nice amount of reliable snipers. Trying to push through the standard way is completely mayhem though, I just tried again and with 3 snipers on killzone with heavily modified weapons and I was still losing people and hardly thinning the numbers.

Falk

that puzzling face
The performance issues towards the game are inconsequential

I keep telling you guys, you're not supposed to make it to the end of the game. You're supposed to fail once about 2 months in and uninstall and wait for XCOM 3 because you're done.

CANON

Top Bottom