• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM 2 |OT| Be Aggressive! Be Be Aggressive!

Curious if we'll see a mod that makes it so if cover is highlighted, it actually means a grenade will destroy it. Sure doesn't work that way now.

Encountered my firsts sectopods yesterday. The first one was accompanied by five advent soldiers, so it became a nope.gif moment, and my soldiers bailed from the mission.

The second one I used a mimic beacon for, and it was like watching a very big and stupid dog playing fetch.
My first Sectopod mission had two of them, but liberally application of Rupture managed to take them out.

Also, Null Lance is very useful.

GeoGonzo

Damn it, first bug I find in a combat mission:

With the whole team on the roof where we started, only one enemy from the first pod remains: wounded but behind heavy cover. Only two grenadiers and a support have actions to spare and the odds to hit are around 40%.

"Hm... if we blow up that cover the other grenadier is likely to hit and kill, and if he doesn't, the support should. Using a grenade this early seems wasteful, though..."

Wait, hold on. Both grenadiers have a skill called demolition that I've literally never used before! This seems like a fine place to test it. Its supposed to destroy cover but deal no damage. Chance to hit... 85%. Okay, that's reasonable.

A grenadier stands up from behind his medium cover and starts raining hell on the enemy. The cover stands, enemy of course didn't take damage either. Oops, I guess we missed. Now, a smarter commander would have said "Fuck it" and use a grenade with the other grenadier, making it easy for the support to simply get the kill, but... yeah, I really wanted to see this skill at work. So, like a madman, I tried the same thing with the second grenadier, and indeed I got different results! Pieter "TheGroot" Groot didn't destroy the cover either, but cleanly blew up the tile of roof where he was standing and set himself on fire. Now he's heavily wounded, and for some reason seems unwilling to move, prefering to teleport around instead.

Not a very auspicious beginning, and I don't think I'll try to use that talent very often from now on either.

Baalzebup

The roof stories remind me of this one VIP mission where one of the higher buildings had really funky architecture. The roof, which was at the height of 3 or 4, gave full line of sight and line of fire to the ground floor and vice versa, despite having no glass roofing or any other logical explanation to the anomaly.

If was rather... interesting, to see my guys suddenly getting spotted by an Advent patrol that walked inside and then having 4 of my guys light them up by shooting down right through the roof. Ballistic weapons only, so they didn't drill any lasting holes to it.

Took the thread's advice and continued fighting. And I'm glad I did. I just finished a alien facility mission that went very well, where all my troops came back home alive.

what's multiplayer

An unused button on the main menu.

Anyone know of a mod that adds a pod to the map, so commander difficulty has as many enemies as legendary? I use/used the one to increase pod sizes, and it's fine, but I think one that adds 3-4 enemies per map could be fun.

SRG01

Haha, oh wow, I completely messed up this Commander run. Went for the skulljack and resistance comms too late, and now I'm 3 squares away from the Avatar project being maxed. Took out a facility, but then I found out that New Indonesia -- the next facility on the map -- isn't actually connected to New India :(

cdyhybrid

The roof stories remind me of this one VIP mission where one of the higher buildings had really funky architecture. The roof, which was at the height of 3 or 4, gave full line of sight and line of fire to the ground floor and vice versa, despite having no glass roofing or any other logical explanation to the anomaly.

If was rather... interesting, to see my guys suddenly getting spotted by an Advent patrol that walked inside and then having 4 of my guys light them up by shooting down right through the roof. Ballistic weapons only, so they didn't drill any lasting holes to it.

It happens, I've had pods spot me through the middle of a solid wall 10 tiles long before.

Sblargh

Banned
I love the functionality of exploding a roof, but every time I do it, it's like "uh oh, which crazy shit will happen this time?"

Another thing that never fails to not work is exploding prison walls. Even when they do fall, the VIP often have to leave out of the door anyway, which looks silly to say the least.

Prison vans, on the other hand, will blow up (along with the VIP) at the slightest hint of fire.

Quicknock

Banned
Haha, oh wow, I completely messed up this Commander run. Went for the skulljack and resistance comms too late, and now I'm 3 squares away from the Avatar project being maxed. Took out a facility, but then I found out that New Indonesia -- the next facility on the map -- isn't actually connected to New India :(
You're fine. You've got at least a month before failure and that's plenty of time to get those connections going.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I find that an easy way to skip mag weapons and save money is to go ranger heavy in the early game and only buy shard guns. They're so cheap and do tons of damage.

Sblargh

Banned
Playing with iess+ second mission (first after gatecrasher) reinforcement with a captain and 4 stun lancers. :/

Well, at least I am using a bigger initial squad and the two extra rookies will Oh nevermind everyone is dead.

H1PSTER

I'm getting Error Code 15 and I can't boot the game anymore.

I uninstalled all mods AND the game and it hasn't solved a single thing!

This is really annoying :/.

Pro-tip: Jail cells have reinforced walls behind them, so you need to open the door :X

Maybe not all of them though? I definitely had one mission were I was able to destroy the jail cell wall with a frag grenade. It was a VIP mission where the VIP was a captured soldier if that makes a difference.

Damn it, first bug I find in a combat mission:

With the whole team on the roof where we started, only one enemy from the first pod remains: wounded but behind heavy cover. Only two grenadiers and a support have actions to spare and the odds to hit are around 40%.

"Hm... if we blow up that cover the other grenadier is likely to hit and kill, and if he doesn't, the support should. Using a grenade this early seems wasteful, though..."

Wait, hold on. Both grenadiers have a skill called demolition that I've literally never used before! This seems like a fine place to test it. Its supposed to destroy cover but deal no damage. Chance to hit... 85%. Okay, that's reasonable.

A grenadier stands up from behind his medium cover and starts raining hell on the enemy. The cover stands, enemy of course didn't take damage either. Oops, I guess we missed. Now, a smarter commander would have said "Fuck it" and use a grenade with the other grenadier, making it easy for the support to simply get the kill, but... yeah, I really wanted to see this skill at work. So, like a madman, I tried the same thing with the second grenadier, and indeed I got different results! Pieter "TheGroot" Groot didn't destroy the cover either, but cleanly blew up the tile of roof where he was standing and set himself on fire. Now he's heavily wounded, and for some reason seems unwilling to move, prefering to teleport around instead.

Not a very auspicious beginning, and I don't think I'll try to use that talent very often from now on either.

Yeah demolition is easily one of the more bugged abilities for me :( it's always a coin flip if it'll actually destroy cover or not.

I tend to just stick to suppression, at least the hit chance decrease seems consistent. And even that has some bugs. I've seen the overwatch shot just not proc.

SRG01

You're fine. You've got at least a month before failure and that's plenty of time to get those connections going.

Well, I do have a facility lead, but I'm not sure whether it leads anywhere.

The most important part is that I'm running out of resistance comm slots, so I'm going to hit a wall in terms of how much I can delay the counter before skulljack comes online.

And I haven't built the shadow chamber yet.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
L/I is fucking brutal.
When you still don't have enough shotguns and grenades, it goes down to dice rolls...
and dices fucking hate your ass in XCOM. It's just how it is.
: (

Holy shit the difficulty jump from Veteran to Commander... Jesus.

Any tips? My campaigns so far have all died by the time I hit the first Retaliation mission.

Have you verified the integrity of the game files through Steam?

Yep, went through the usual hoops. Loads into the menu, but when I try to load the save I get a hard crash then steam pops up an Error 41 message.

I should note that (bullshit performance aside) I wasn't getting crash bugs before the hotfix that apparently came out since I booted it up last.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
L/I is fucking brutal.
When you still don't have enough shotguns and grenades, it goes down to dice rolls...
and dices fucking hate your ass in XCOM. It's just how it is.
: (

Second mission: 2x gravely wounded, 2x dead.
Third mission: 4x rookies in a VIP extraction.

Everyone lives, unscathed, and promoted. Holy shit. Entire mission on high ground. XCOM rookies hitting 75%. Incredible stuff. This campaign may actually go well.

Might need to work on your tactics then. What's getting your guys killed? Multiple pod activations?

Ayup. Go in for a flank for easy kills as EU, EW, and X2 Veteran taught me and SURPRISE MUTHAFUCKA! as two more pods activate.

IMO pod placement is too dense in this game, especially since turn limits force constant advancing, and the RNG adjustments and damage system basically force having to flank to reliably get kills with guns.

cdyhybrid

Ayup. Go in for a flank for easy kills as EU, EW, and X2 Veteran taught me and SURPRISE MUTHAFUCKA! as two more pods activate.

IMO pod placement is too dense in this game, especially since turn limits force constant advancing, and the RNG adjustments and damage system basically force having to flank to reliably get kills with guns.
Don't go for flanks unless it's in a direction you've already scouted. Better off just blowing up their cover and taking shots at the exposed enemies.

I had to unlearn it after Long War.

Erheller

Keeping a ranger in concealment can help with accidental activations. I always bring battlescanners on Legendary, as well, it's just not worth activating that next pod.

For missions where you need to extract (and for all missions, really), consider replacing a sniper with a grenadier. Grenading cover is a lot safer than going for risky flanks.

Yep, went through the usual hoops. Loads into the menu, but when I try to load the save I get a hard crash then steam pops up an Error 41 message.

I should note that (bullshit performance aside) I wasn't getting crash bugs before the hotfix that apparently came out since I booted it up last.
See if your anti-virus program is causing problems.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Doing all that is mandatory to win Veteran. I've already won Veteran.
R A N G E R S.
Don't advance that far to activate multiple pods. Pod activation is like #1 tactical priority. Demolition is your friend.
Snipers on High Ground early have huge aim buffs compared to the rest of your shitters. Don't be afraid to either spend more consumables or less and hunker. Keeping your whole squad in full cover and only killing 1 alien of 3 is okay.
Oh wow Legendary is a real dramatic change. Those build times, holy shit.
Welcome to Legendary, hope you enjoy your 2x item costs too.

Protein

Banned
Reading my old posts for XCOM 1 is hilarious and sad.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=43070452&postcount=3504

Jesus H. Christ. One. Fucking. Outsider. Wiped out my entire squad. Here I am obliterating the hell out of the aliens. I have the PERFECT tactical advantage.

PERFECT cover. Superior tactical advantage. Perfect everything. There was literally no chance in hell for anything other than the aliens to lose horribly. Outsider was flanked from every angle and about to die like the dog he was, or so I thought.. Here's my rendition of the scene

xciom03l1k.png

One by one he manages to take out my entire squad after they decide to prioritize killing air over an alien.

Sniper. MISS.
Shotgun. MISS.
Heavy. MISS.

Outsider kills Heavy.
Shotgun. *runs up 3 feet away. 98% chance hit* MISS.
Sniper. 88%. MISS.

Outsider crits Shotgun.
Sniper. MISS.

Outsider crits Sniper.

And then I turned off the game.

Lol I love how in depth the description of the wreckage you recieved is. That is the Xcom moment lol

Man Outsiders. Wonder if we'll see returning Xcom 1 aliens, or original Non-human-spliced versions of aliens in the DLC.

Top Bottom